• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greetings from a Sooner Fan

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
So TCU is better than EVERY SEC DEFENSE? Yep, but not by much as you can see below it's very close

Is "you've never seen anything like our defense" and "TCU is the 2nd best defense in the country" a contradiction? NOPE

Once again, I'm big on keeping things in perspective. Me 2, we 3, us 2

Did we score more in the first quarter of the TCU game than any team scored against them all year long? Yes

Do I believe this an indication of OU vs FL? NO

Did we commit to running the ball right into the middle of the line, (when they continued to stack 8 in the box) to test our running game once we had a comfortable lead and established that Bradford can throw a football? Yes

Will we commit to running the ball with 8 in the box when a championship is on the line? NO

Does anybody find it the least bit funny that the big12 is below every conference, major and midmajor in total defense? Curious but not a haha for me yet

You can believe whatever you'd like, we thought USC was a panzy and played in the weak ass Pac10 before recieving the ass whipping of a lifetime. Gotta agree w/ you there

Bowl Subdivision (FBS) National Team Report
Total Defense
Rank Name Games Plays Yds Avg TDs Ydspgm
2 TCU 12 684 2581 3.77 17 215.08
3 Alabama 13 793 3340 4.21 21 256.92
4 Tennessee 12 776 3162 4.07 20 263.50

Team A plays Little Sisters of the Poor and holds them to 0 points, 4 yards. Final Score LSoP 0, A 5

Team B plays Mini-Ditkas and gives up 45 points, 500 yards Final Score MD 45, Team B 63

It's a no brainer, Team A is lightyears better than Team B!

Contrary to some Florida fans, I believe Florida is better than TCU on defense.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Team A plays Little Sisters of the Poor and holds them to 0 points, 4 yards. Final Score LSoP 0, A 5

Team B plays Mini-Ditkas and gives up 45 points, 500 yards Final Score MD 45, Team B 63

I will wait to say which is better.

I will say this though...Florida has way better athletes.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness

Just thought I'd repost a statement I made a few pages back:

The best defense the Sooners have faced all year was TCU. And the Horned Frogs held you guys to your lowest scoring output all season long. I can tell you right now Florida's D is a lot faster and more athletic than TCU's.

And I can tell you that we scored three td's in the first quarter cause they had 8 in the box. They kept 8 in the box, and we went ahead and ran the ball anyway. We ran with ZERO success, and exposed a major chink in the armour. We continued to work on this because the game was already in hand, and at any time, we could just pass and beat the 8 in the box.

Circumstances will dictate how you play. 4th game of the season against respectable D who's ballsy enough to keep 8 in the box after being punked through the air our first three drives, cool, gave us some real live experience.

You guys aren't gonna throw 8 in the box, and we're not gonna work on developing a weakness into a strength.

I think our D is stronger and more aggresiver then TCU... Imagine Carlos Dunlap coming off the corner every snap. Kind of like the performance Derrick harvey had in 2006

Imagine hitting the b gap if anyone came "off the corner every snap"

Imagine hitting Gresham on a short drag route if anyone came "off the corner every snap"

Playing defense is easy when you're teeing off on a predictable vanilla 'O'

For the last 6 years, OU was very predictable on offense, thus the excitement around this years team.

I don't think OU of UF has a predictable vanilla 'O'

I don't blame you guys one bit for being confident, it's part of being a fan.

Imagine hitting the b gap if anyone came "off the corner every snap"

Imagine hitting Gresham on a short drag route if anyone came "off the corner every snap"

Playing defense is easy when you're teeing off on a predictable vanilla 'O'

For the last 6 years, OU was very predictable on offense, thus the excitement around this years team.

I don't think OU of UF has a predictable vanilla 'O'

I don't blame you guys one bit for being confident, it's part of being a fan.

I meant to predict Dunlap will have a big game.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
I think our D is stronger and more aggresiver then TCU... Imagine Carlos Dunlap coming off the corner every snap. Kind of like the performance Derrick harvey had in 2006

Trust me when I say this: OU has played teams with the talent level and speed of Florida. So please stop acting like a maroon and trying to pimp your players.

The thing about playing OU and talking to the fans of the Sooners. We know football and we live it. We will study our opponents and we can most of the time tell you your strengths and weaknesses before you even mention them.

I do have to ask this though: Have you even played this sport?

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
I meant to predict Dunlap will have a big game.

Nice back peddle.

What you meant was you have no clue what Florida will do against the best and biggest Oline and how they are going to pick their poison against OU.

Trust me. set 8 in the box, OU will throw it over you.
Pass blitz OU, we will jailbreak screen you into oblivion.
Play zone, we will attack the zone with our wrs and tes.

Florida is a very good and fast team, but they will not be able to cover everything OU has as weapons.

OU has more weapons that can hurt Florida, than Florida has seen from one team this year.

I am not saying this will be easy for OU, because I think this will be a tough, tight, close game. But I surely hope that your coaches are as naive as you and some of the other gator fans.

Lets break this down for you, i said 2 different things:

1."I think our D is stronger and more aggresiver then TCU"
2."Imagine Carlos Dunlap coming off the corner every snap. Kind of like the performance Derrick harvey had in 2006"

1. Are you serious i think a SEC defense is better then a MWC defense...
2. That cannot look like more of a prediction, try finding a prediction more clearer then that.

The Big 12 defenses are garbage how can you even argue against that? They cannot tackle and they cannot cover.

OU's D has gotten much better with each week. I've been watching very close. Austin Box was really starting to fill in nicely til he was hurt at osu. I was really surprised at the last game against misery. I was afraid there would be a void in the middle of the field much like texas took advantage of when reynolds was hurt. But the players who stepped in did a great job of executing schemes, jumping in passing lanes, and damn sure did really well tackling. I've said this before. OU can be sick on defense if they execute their gameplan.

OU's D has gotten much better with each week. I've been watching very close. Austin Box was really starting to fill in nicely til he was hurt at osu. I was really surprised at the last game against misery. I was afraid there would be a void in the middle of the field much like texas took advantage of when reynolds was hurt. But the players who stepped in did a great job of executing schemes, jumping in passing lanes, and damn sure did really well tackling. I've said this before. OU can be sick on defense if they execute their gameplan.

its a whole different ball park now, they have seen all these teams offenses the last 10 years they know what to expect... As for Florida offense they need to play basic tackle football, thats the best way to beat Florida is tackle.

but the thing about a OU styled offense is if you get after the QB and force him to think fast it ruins the rhythm but if you get after tebow and they are doing the option it forces you to commit to Tebow or the outside RB, or if you have the option covered they do the TE option. I am saying OU defense will be more vulnerable then Florida defense would, just watch the SEC game, 4th quarter too see what i am talking about.

I watched most of that game. I saw florida take over in the 4th. The parts i saw, bama had tebow in check as far as running went. Tebow made throws when he had to and it opened it back up a bit. That comes to corner and safety play. Although OU will have a saftey closer to the line at times. We have one corner Brian Jackson that is aggressive and makes a play but does give up about 3-4 plays for every good one. Dom Franks is quickly becoming a shut down. Hes not quite yet, but hes a solid db. Made a couple of great plays on Crabtree of ttech.

I highly DOUBT you will have a safety play up, every team did that to us last year and we have Deonte Thompson, Murphy and HArvin who will have several deep balls thrown that way if that happens, One thing here at Florida since Spurrier came we take what the other team gives us and we attack them, so if they keep safeties back, we will take what we get and run the ball and throw between the safeties and corners. I am willing to bet your safeties will be playing coverage the whole game.

I have no clue what OU will gameplan. Just depends on what coaches see on film. Weve faired well against running qb's who can throw before. we've also been burned by running qb's. osu's robinson took a 4th and 1 30 yds for a td on us couple weeks ago. Havent watched the replay to see if anyone missed an assignment or if they executed they're blocking well, but we've seen both success and fail against the types.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
but the thing about a OU styled offense is if you get after the QB and force him to think fast it ruins the rhythm but if you get after tebow and they are doing the option it forces you to commit to Tebow or the outside RB, or if you have the option covered they do the TE option. I am saying OU defense will be more vulnerable then Florida defense would, just watch the SEC game, 4th quarter too see what i am talking about.

This is true with all QBs and offenses when trying to throw the ball.

However, Bradford is one of the best QBs I have ever seen with pocket presence. He may not look like he can move, but he is very elusive.

And of course the problem with opposing defenses, you must be able to get to him. OU is VERY good at protecting Bradford. From the Line to the RBs, all block very good.

As far as Tebow. We have great team speed. Probably more than any team you have faced...if not, it is right up there.

Keep thinking OU's defense is vulnerable. If they come out and execute like they can, Florida's offense will be in a dog fight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema