• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greetings from a Sooner Fan

Sooner_Bob

Gator Fan
BTW to make your stay here more pleasant "blue and orange" just doesn't sound right to an Orange and Blue crowd......

HAHAHA

I can appreciate that.

and yes, I feel that there is not an offensive line in the country that pass blocks as well as ours. Is Missouri's defense a good one??? Not by a long shot. Is our Offense the best in the country??? I think so. I also think that we have the best QB in the country(I hope my nice warm welcome isnt over after that one).

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
First let me say, I hope that this game will become an instant classic. It is amazing that this will be the first time that these two tradition rich programs meet.

Now then, to the post at hand....

because with a healthy team, the offense will be ready run by the mediocre OU defense. We have a month to prepare... after a week off Meyer is like 30 wins and 2 losses. So he prepares the team well. I have seen bits of OU all season from being on ABC every weekend. They seem like a TTU type offense that is all about timing, and the passing opens up the running... Without the passing the OU game is dreadful and ugly. If they have a chance they need to find mismatches with our corners i am expecting a lot of Dime packages since OU likes line up a lot of receivers. Your TE is top notch, Your WR group is legit, RB's good enough, and QB is really good but if they cant win the battle at the Line of scrimmage he is just another pocket passer. He cannot run away when the pocket closes on a team like Florida.. He will never in his OU career see a faster defense then in Miami, unless they play a SEC team again.

The stats show OU has a mediocre defense. But lets look further shall we?
Oklahoma is #3 in the country in sacks. Only behind Texas and TCU.
Oklahoma is #9 in Tackles for Loss.
Oklahoma is #18 in rush defense.
Oklahoma is #1 in Turnover margin.
Oklahoma is #4 in Turnovers gained.

People want to look at the scoring and total defense. Which IMHO is fine to do. But it does not tell the entire story about this defense. OU has given up more points and yards in garbage time than when the game is still in doubt.

Oklahoma's offense. Well, it is far from being a Texas Tech gimmick offense. If you want to compare an offense to that of TTU, look no further than the one in Gainsville, no offense. OU's offense can hit you with the run, even if the pass is not working. We have two backs over 1000 yards. The offense of OU has not scored less than 35 points in any game this year. And they have faced some decent defenses. The best one has been TCU's #2 defense. Oklahoma allows you to pick the aspect you want to shut down. Do you want to shut down the running of Murray, Brown, and Madu? Do you want to shut down the nation's best Tight End? Do you want to try to stop the wr corps? The OL will be the biggest and best that the Gators have faced.

No offense, but if you all can give up 20 points to the pathetic offense of bama, I doubt you will be very successful in stopping Oklahoma's offense. And OU does not turn the ball over on offense very often. Only 7 Offensive turnovers all season.

Florida though should have a good day on special teams, not alot is said about the OU special teams this season, which to me is a sign of suspectfulness. I have heard though the punter and FG are not worth bragging about. Will there be a huge ST play? yes. It will open the game up for Florida to apply the pressure on defense to cost 2+ interceptions, and keep our offense running wild. At the end of the day, all the film watching and preparing for Floridas speed on the 3 phases of the game, will be too much for Oklahoma to handle not to mention how physical we are up front.

The Special teams have not been so special for OU this year. Well, Kick off returns anyway. The rest have been solid. However, if OU is playing disciplined like they did against Tech and Missouri, they can slow the bleeding. Our FG kicker has not had to be spectacular, he has only attempted something like 10 FGs all season, only missing 3 and has made his last 5. The punter...he can boom it, but I think he tries to hard when he does have to punt, that sometimes he shanks it.

Bradford has thrown two INTs in just 3 games his entire career, So to predict that Florida will force three, though possible, is a little extreme.

If the Gators think OU is not physical or have speed, then it will be a long day in Miami. OU is full of blue chip players that are very well coached and very disciplined. They are playing as a team, and if they show up in Miami with a chip on their shoulder, it will be a very good game.

OU 44 Florida 35

BOOOMER SOONER

FWIW, visit www.soonerfans.com for respectful chatting with some very knowledgeable football fans.

P.S. Bob Stoops is 11-0 when playing underdog.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
First let me say, I hope that this game will become an instant classic. It is amazing that this will be the first time that these two tradition rich programs meet.

Now then, to the post at hand....

First off, welcome to Gator Envy. It's nice to see more Oklahoma fans coming over here who want to talk sports and not a lot of smack - please invite more of your fanbase here to talk! You've probably heard so many negative things about Florida fans as well as the taunts about "jorts" and other things, but deep down we're really a cool fanbase.

No offense, but if you all can give up 20 points to the pathetic offense of bama, I doubt you will be very successful in stopping Oklahoma's offense. And OU does not turn the ball over on offense very often. Only 7 Offensive turnovers all season.

Florida was playing without two key defensive linemen due to injuries, but still we held our own and made up for that with a solid linebacking rotation that managed to contain Glen Coffee on the ground, which was one crucial point in our winning over Bama. Add to that a much more mature secondary this season than from 2007, and that more than made up for the front-line deficit.

It'll be a close game, without a doubt - this matchup pairs two evenly-matched teams and we won't see RUTS from any one side.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
FWIW, visit www.soonerfans.com for respectful chatting with some very knowledgeable football fans.

Just registered over there; I also read that they had to ban a UF fan for causing trouble or probably talking too much trash over there - that's no way for Gator fans to act on a rival message board.

(BTW, Gator fans don't all wear jorts! :) )

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
The stats show OU has a mediocre defense. But lets look further shall we?
Oklahoma is #3 in the country in sacks. Only behind Texas and TCU.
Oklahoma is #9 in Tackles for Loss.
Oklahoma is #18 in rush defense.
Oklahoma is #1 in Turnover margin.
Oklahoma is #4 in Turnovers gained.

People want to look at the scoring and total defense. Which IMHO is fine to do. But it does not tell the entire story about this defense. OU has given up more points and yards in garbage time than when the game is still in doubt.

Welcome to GE. Glad to see you Oklahoma fans are a lot classier than the Bama fans we just finished dealing with.

I wanted to make a few points regarding your stats here. First off, the sacks ranking can be thrown out the window. The fact that every week you guys are playing an offense almost entirely based on the passing game helps you to pad the stat. Also, getting that big lead and forcing the other team to pass on every down gives you that many more chances to accumulate sacks.

The rush defense ranking can also be tied into the pass happy Big XII. Frankly, I'm surprised a team with the talent of OU's isn't ranked higher in the rush defense category. Outside of Kendall Hunter, did you guys even face a semi-decent back all season long? Despite these facts, the Gators are still only three spots behind you guys in this category at #21, in a run oriented conference.

The number 1 in turnovers would actually mean something if OU were playing a team that turned the ball over. This, the Gators just don't do. Also, Florida managed to finish number 2 in interceptions in the country, despite playing in a conference that did not pass the ball all that much.

Our total defense and scoring defense are on another level than any other team the Sooners have faced. And there's a reason why most people harp on these two categories; They're the most important!

Let me start by saying Hello from Sooner Country. It's refreshing to get away from the flame wars on the rivals/scout boards. I have tremendous respect for the Florida program and look forward to a good game.

Quite honestly, I'm a little surprised how much traction the idea that the Big12 plays no defense is getting on a national level. As a long time Sooner fan, I remember this was our knock on USC leading into "the game of which we shall not speak." Our perception of USC was they are a weak Pac10 school playing against candyassed defense, and they're in for a shock when they get in a fistfight with a real conference. These assumptions proved wrong, and Norm Chow's ability to utilize ALL his players was too much for my beloved Sooners who's defense was built to stonewall a more traditional attack. I don't think the defense in the Big12 suddenly went down the tubes, it's just that we got to a point where 3 yards and a cloud of dust vs stout D wasn't getting it done. If you take a step back and put things into perspective, Florida's success is testament to this theory. Urban wasn't brought in to Florida for his defense and boyish good looks. Urban has a playbook that turns the tables on your traditional defense. In the Big12, it was Mike Leach who, over the last 7 years, transformed our league into the pass-happy score-a-thon you see today.

To say that our offense will somehow be baffled by the strength of an SEC defense is same thing your fellow SEC bretheren said when Urban was announced as Leader of the Gator Nation. You guys play a different brand of football than traditional SEC teams, and with great success. I'd venture to say five years from now, we'll see several programs adopt a similar means of attack to keep up with Florida. This is not unlike the Leach effect on the Big12.

If this theory holds water, OU's defense is uniquely prepared for a similar NON TRADITIONAL offensive scheme.

This is the first time in recent memory that my Sooners have taken the field as underdogs, and deservedly so. Texas has every right to play in this game, and I wish we had a system where they could play Bama in the Sugarbowl.

Lets keep an eye on how the early bowls play out before we condemn the Big12 for being a soft league.

:rockon:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
As an SEC fan stuck in Big 12 country, I agree that on a national level too much lip service has been played to the whole "Big 12 has no defense" theory. In reality, NCAA stats have little relevance outside a team's own conference, and the non-conference stats should be thrown out entirely in many cases since many teams play fluff games out of conference (e.g. OK vs Chatanooga, UF vs Citadel). That being said, I have more respect for OK's defense than what the stats show. I also think that the stats don't show just how dangerous Florida's multiple attack offense really is. Statistically, Oklahoma's offense is a juggernaut, but UF's speed on defense can keep up even if it takes us a quarter or two of trailing in the score to nullify that high octane offense. I will venture to guess that the OK juggernaut will continue for one half of the BCS championship game before Florida's defense figures out how to stifle that offense, special teams makes a game changing play, and Tebow or Harvin pull off their own series of plays worthy of NFL scouting. This does not take away from Bradford's passing ability--I think he stands a good chance of being the next Heisman winner instead of Tebow. The BCS made a good choice in pitting UF and OK against one another--we were made for each other! Without repeating the strong arguments for OK and FL, I will simply say that the stats don't do either team justice and that we match up perfectly for an exciting game. When Florida wins, I hope my new Sooner friends will continue to lurk on our lovely forum.

Thanks for the post Escambia94, I agree with almost everything but the final score :)

In regard to special teams.....we're so far from National Championship caliber it's not even funny.

Our kick coverage is terrible. Statistical, we're only 1.6 yards worse, but quite honestly, I expect us to give up a ton in kick return yards if we have the luxury of scoring. We give up big plays EVERY GAME on returns, and Harvin is gonna have a field day in this department. Part of being a fan of a top tier program is expecting absolute excellence in every facet of the game and our special teams is pathetic. Our little kicker doesn't get too many chances for field goals, but he's a liability. Our punter is below average.

IMO, this is our Achilles heel, and wouldn't surprise me a bit if this ends up costing us a Championship.

If I were grading the three facets, our Offense is A+, our Defense is A-, and our special teams are C-. I expect Florida is sound in special teams, but without following a team closely, special teams is often overlooked.

What is Florida's biggest weakness?

If anyone is interested in stats, here are the links to both programs

OU Season Stats

UF Season Stats

Thanks for the post Escambia94, I agree with almost everything but the final score :)

In regard to special teams.....we're so far from National Championship caliber it's not even funny.

Our kick coverage is terrible. Statistical, we're only 1.6 yards worse, but quite honestly, I expect us to give up a ton in kick return yards if we have the luxury of scoring. We give up big plays EVERY GAME on returns, and Harvin is gonna have a field day in this department. Part of being a fan of a top tier program is expecting absolute excellence in every facet of the game and our special teams is pathetic. Our little kicker doesn't get too many chances for field goals, but he's a liability. Our punter is below average.

IMO, this is our Achilles heel, and wouldn't surprise me a bit if this ends up costing us a Championship.

If I were grading the three facets, our Offense is A+, our Defense is A-, and our special teams are C-. I expect Florida is sound in special teams, but without following a team closely, special teams is often overlooked.

What is Florida's biggest weakness?

If anyone is interested in stats, here are the links to both programs

OU Season Stats

UF Season Stats

Being a gator fan for many years now. I would have to say our biggest weakness would be people getting hurt, I know that sounds crazy but its the truth

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Florida was playing without two key defensive linemen due to injuries, but still we held our own and made up for that with a solid linebacking rotation that managed to contain Glen Coffee on the ground, which was one crucial point in our winning over Bama. Add to that a much more mature secondary this season than from 2007, and that more than made up for the front-line deficit.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am not saying Florida fans do this...but...

If people can point out a lousy performance due to injuries, why does it seem they discount the same argument when OU lost their stud MLB?

OU has had the injury bug on defense as well.

And FTR, OU will be the best dline Florida has faced.

Thanks for the welcome.

I am not saying Florida fans do this...but...

If people can point out a lousy performance due to injuries, why does it seem they discount the same argument when OU lost their stud MLB?

OU has had the injury bug on defense as well.

And FTR, OU will be the best dline Florida has faced.

Now I'm not say OU dline isn't good but we have faced a few good ones so far this year. This game will be good from start to finish don't get me wrong but then again I have only watched two OU game this season and it was the Texas and ok state game. So I need to do some research on your sooners.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Welcome to GE. Glad to see you Oklahoma fans are a lot classier than the Bama fans we just finished dealing with.

I wanted to make a few points regarding your stats here. First off, the sacks ranking can be thrown out the window. The fact that every week you guys are playing an offense almost entirely based on the passing game helps you to pad the stat. Also, getting that big lead and forcing the other team to pass on every down gives you that many more chances to accumulate sacks.

The rush defense ranking can also be tied into the pass happy Big XII. Frankly, I'm surprised a team with the talent of OU's isn't ranked higher in the rush defense category. Outside of Kendall Hunter, did you guys even face a semi-decent back all season long? Despite these facts, the Gators are still only three spots behind you guys in this category at #21, in a run oriented conference.

The number 1 in turnovers would actually mean something if OU were playing a team that turned the ball over. This, the Gators just don't do. Also, Florida managed to finish number 2 in interceptions in the country, despite playing in a conference that did not pass the ball all that much.

Our total defense and scoring defense are on another level than any other team the Sooners have faced. And there's a reason why most people harp on these two categories; They're the most important!

The Big 12 offenses do not have a knack at just committing turnovers, well unless you are Booger Daniel and Missouri.

Other than that...most of the turnovers for OU have been earned and well disciplined play.

With me not trying to sound arrogant or disrespectful. I think Florida is a damn good team. They are deserving of the hype. But Their defense has not faced an offense like that of the Sooners. In fact NOBODIES resume in any BCS Conference is as impressive as the Sooners.

6 of 13 games against top 20 BCS ranked teams.
5-1 in those games.

Many experts will say that the Big 12 is better than the SEC, and the Big 12 South is the toughest division in college football. So please do not act like the defense Florida is bringing to the table is god-like. They have their flaws. And Kevin Wilson and Sam Bradford will find and exploit those weaknesses.

The Big 12 offenses do not have a knack at just committing turnovers, well unless you are Booger Daniel and Missouri.

Other than that...most of the turnovers for OU have been earned and well disciplined play.

With me not trying to sound arrogant or disrespectful. I think Florida is a damn good team. They are deserving of the hype. But Their defense has not faced an offense like that of the Sooners. In fact NOBODIES resume in any BCS Conference is as impressive as the Sooners.

6 of 13 games against top 20 BCS ranked teams.
5-1 in those games.

Many experts will say that the Big 12 is better than the SEC, and the Big 12 South is the toughest division in college football. So please do not act like the defense Florida is bringing to the table is god-like. They have their flaws. And Kevin Wilson and Sam Bradford will find and exploit those weaknesses.

again im a huge gator fan and let me be the first to tell you, ever team has a weakness no matter who you are UF has them as does OU But i have watch 5 or 6 big 12 games this year and outside of OU no one plays defense much...

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
again im a huge gator fan and let me be the first to tell you, ever team has a weakness no matter who you are UF has them as does OU But i have watch 5 or 6 big 12 games this year and outside of OU no one plays defense much...

OU's defense this year is the worst under Bob Stoops.

But the numbers you look at from stat sheets are also misleading.

Most yards and points scored on OU has been when the game has been out of reach.

OU's defense this year is the worst under Bob Stoops.

But the numbers you look at from stat sheets are also misleading.

Most yards and points scored on OU has been when the game has been out of reach.

Oh I know that OU has a defense I know, what I meant was texas tech. texas, Ok state none of them had any great defenses this year.

castawaygator

VIP Member
the stats i like are that vegas like the gators!!! but only by 3points. like i said to the bama fans they dont want to pay money out to anyone! when it comes to money they are going to have the best stats guys look over both teams, and thankfully for all the gator fans, we are chosen to win a close one.

The biggest concern on OU's offense is their TE, he is huge and will be one of the few mismatches they have, But the truth about him is his hands are not the greatest, So in other words if he gets a few hits from Spikes or Wright, He will drop the ball and i think will stop him from running whatever routes he normally runs. But He is the real key part of the Sooners offense.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
The biggest concern on OU's offense is their TE, he is huge and will be one of the few mismatches they have, But the truth about him is his hands are not the greatest, So in other words if he gets a few hits from Spikes or Wright, He will drop the ball and i think will stop him from running whatever routes he normally runs. But He is the real key part of the Sooners offense.

The more and more I hear you post...the more and more I know you really have no clue about OU.

But tell you what. Keep talking the nonsense. You (not all of you, just this cat) are starting to sound a lot like the tOSU fans from 2 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema