• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thoughts on Gators at Tennessee.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Crowd's back in it AGAIN. Here's the scary part: this offense is going to have to do it one more time, you can feel it. And they are going to HAVE to pass the ball--otherwise they get it back. Thompson starts it going (he holds onto it!).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That stupid "fake" tuck--everyone knows #12 isn't going to keep it! Now it's 3rd and long again; how can this work? There! We have a pulse!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Give credit: THAT was a gutty drive. Had to have it, and they do the things they have to do. No collapse, no "quit" in this team. Yes, we have a LONG way to go to be championship caliber (or even 'Bama-ready!), but we're seeing some really good things about this team this afternoon--and MAYBE the beginning of what that Offense can be.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And there's a FUMBLE! OK, let's run this one out.
Hey, whattaya know? I picked the final score exactly in our pool...
Truth be told, I was trying to be conservative, and I sure would have rather seen them make it easier for themselves. Anyway, there's time left and in this game especially, more could happen. Just want to see them finish it off, at this point.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll note the obvious: We should be able to run out the clock with this offense. Another area where we need a lot of work. Instead, we depend on the Defense to do it. I do NOT want to have to sweat out an onsides kick here.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
This win is not satisfying

This was not a good win. Defense made some really good plays but also gave up some bone headed ones. Offense looks like garbage again. Stupid dive play is getting old. Same old plays nothing new. This is got to be one of the easiest teams to scout. I truly feel we are just buying time till be get it handed to us in alabama. The georgia, south carolina, and well lets just say all the other game except the app state game look scary. Nothing to get excited about this game. Poor execution, bad offensive play calling. They don't give poor brantley any confidence. What else can i say other than that once again i expected some kind of improvement in the third week of football. Hopefully by the end of the year we will have improved but i would not bet on it at this point.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
This was not a good win. Defense made some really good plays but also gave up some bone headed ones. Offense looks like garbage again. Stupid dive play is getting old. Same old plays nothing new. This is got to be one of the easiest teams to scout. I truly feel we are just buying time till be get it handed to us in alabama. The georgia, south carolina, and well lets just say all the other game except the app state game look scary. Nothing to get excited about this game. Poor execution, bad offensive play calling. They don't give poor brantley any confidence. What else can i say other than that once again i expected some kind of improvement in the third week of football. Hopefully by the end of the year we will have improved but i would not bet on it at this point.

All good points, but we did win on the road in a very hostile atmosphere and that's the bottom line to me.

We have one more week to get things ironed out before we play Alabama. Hopefully we can really light up UK next week at home and get some real momentum heading into Tuscaloosa.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, BUT...

I agreed with everything you have to say for most of the day (and still do), except that when the chips were on the table, the big crowd roaring against them and the other team responding to it there in the 4th qtr., that same problem-ridden offense managed to get the job done, did what they HAD to do--and this in SPITE of all the things wrong that STILL must be addressed.
I don't know if that was just the weight of superior talent and depth or the beginning of team chemistry, but it doesn't always go that way in these types of situations--and offers a crack of light in the darkness, at least.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
My two cents on today's game....

As sloppy as we can be, we still managed to win this one, and that's what really counts.

There's no secret that this team needs a lot of work; we made way too many mistakes out there - I noticed some bad misreads from the O-line, Janoris Jenkins' failing to catch that kick was a costly error, Johnny Brantley still needs to work on his field-judgment skills a lot more. Will Hill made a huge mistake in letting that Vol WR (Hunter) get open in the end zone for a 4th-down TD pass; no wonder why Urban was saying that he wasn't ready to play.

Still, we came through - and in spite of all the negativity coming from the fans, there were (believe it or not) a lot of positives. Chas Henry should grade out a Champion for a job well done on the punting duties, especially on that fake resulting in a first down for Omarius Hines; Mike Gillislee was impressive with two TD runs today and should also grade a Champion as should Carl Moore in going up in the air to catch two passes, Trey Burton scored his second TD as a freshman on a wildcat play, Jeff Demps continues to be a playmaker. Frankie Hammond redeemed himself for his DUI by catching a nice TD pass from Brantley; Jeremy Brown bounced back from earlier mistakes and also made a nice play on defense catching an interception. Caleb Sturgis hit a nice 44-yard field goal in the first half, and Jon Bostic prevented a Vol TD with that huge interception in their end zone.

Urban knows this team needs a lot of improvement; look, we're dealing with a young team that isn't going to look like a powerhouse overnight. Things take time, and as these freshmen and other younger players progress through the season, they'll get stronger. All this whining early in the game and those who seem as though they'd wet their pants at an ice-cream social are fretting over nothing. As I see things, it takes time for this team to "get their sea legs", so to speak, and once they've felt their opponent out they take things from that point and assume control. Hey, I'd rather see them come on strong and dominate the second half than gain an early lead, become too complacent and go into a "prevent" mode as we did from 2002-2004. Strategically that makes sense; if the other team is worn down and we still have something in the tank after the half, then take control of the game and seal the win. Not a damn thing wrong with that.

Others can complain about the effin' playcalling from now 'til Doomsday, others nit-pick every little thing wrong with this team, but when it comes down to the nitty-gritty I'll still take the win - as pretty or as ugly as it may be.

We've won the first jewel in the Triple Crown; as much as some are already worried about Bama it's time to get ready for Kentucky and take things one week at a time. PATIENCE, everybody.

GO GATORS!!!!
:gator:

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Oregon sure had a problem with that crowed. I understand that it is a rivalry game but come on lets be honest once again we look like crap. I just want the coaches to be honest and say we are young and experienced and not say we got to do this we got to do that and then not come through with none of it. I can except a young team excuse. I cant except coaches saying we had a good practice we look good blah blah blah then come out and look like we haven't had a practice all week. To make it worse it sems like it is always the same mistakes over and over again. How many weeks do they need to correct these kind of things. I also don't agree with meyer when he said pouncey only had one bad snap. There were more then that. Maybe not the ones that are on the ground but some sailed right add can through off the timing.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Oregon sure had a problem with that crowed. I understand that it is a rivalry game but come on lets be honest once again we look like crap. I just want the coaches to be honest and say we are young and experienced and not say we got to do this we got to do that and then not come through with none of it. I can except a young team excuse. I cant except coaches saying we had a good practice we look good blah blah blah then come out and look like we haven't had a practice all week. To make it worse it sems like it is always the same mistakes over and over again. How many weeks do they need to correct these kind of things. I also don't agree with meyer when he said pouncey only had one bad snap. There were more then that. Maybe not the ones that are on the ground but some sailed right add can through off the timing.

What really counts is that we won. It doesn't have to be picture-perfect, but we got the job done.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Response to "O-town"

I accept most of what you say here--up to about the middle of the 3rd paragraph: "...Fretting over nothing"? Like to think we don't have to lose a game before certain repeated, repairable problems are addressed. You weren't too happy with some of what transpired along the way either, and said something about it in the "heat of the moment". It's not necessarily a matter of "nitpicking" (though yes, there IS some of that) but rather frustration--and fear that it'll catch up to us if something isn't done.

We're going to get steadily better, and you're right about being a late-charging team rather than a fold-in-and-hang-on pattern, but is that the only alternative?
One thing that is clear now is that this team can and will respond to adversity, and that's a very good sign.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Love this tweet from Matt Elam:

First game on the road, first time beating a rival, first time playing infront of 102,000, first SEC game!

Elam picked up a forced fumble today, so he deserves to hold his head high as do our other freshmen. They're coming up.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I accept most of what you say here--up to about the middle of the 3rd paragraph: "...Fretting over nothing"? Like to think we don't have to lose a game before certain repeated, repairable problems are addressed. You weren't too happy with some of what transpired along the way either, and said something about it in the "heat of the moment". It's not necessarily a matter of "nitpicking" (though yes, there IS some of that) but rather frustration--and fear that it'll catch up to us if something isn't done.

We're going to get steadily better, and you're right about being a late-charging team rather than a fold-in-and-hang-on pattern, but is that the only alternative?
One thing that is clear now is that this team can and will respond to adversity, and that's a very good sign.

Normal reaction to a mistake, but I wasn't panicking over it.

As I said after the first game this year, it was going to be a bumpy ride this season. If anybody's still demanding perfection from this team, they seriously need to change their school of thought because there are still more mistakes that will be made along the way. You may question whether or not being a late-charging team this season may be the only alternative, but these are the cards we were dealt this year and we need to play them cautiously. The "W" is the goal no matter what may transpire during those 60 minutes on the field.

Yes, this team does respond to adversity and for a team playing 16-17 freshmen right now I'll say that they handled themselves well today - and that's a sign of good things to come. If the will to win and the right attitude are there, we'll overcome the odds every time.

Brady Ackerman just tweeted the following:

Enjoyed my sideline experience on Rocky Top. Gators have a lot of potential and they will peak in November. It was a good win.

Another point of view on today's game from OGGOA: http://www.onlygators.com/09/18/2010/florida-plays-rocky-still-tops-tennessee-31-17/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema