• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 2: Florida Gators vs Miami Hurricanes

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I tend to agree that three years of Brent Pease's boring offense or Will Muschamp's restrictions on offense have not helped.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
He cant be a D1 QB... thats a JOKE.

UF had no chance of winning with that time, but that shows me everything I need to kno. Completely embarassing.
playcalling the entire game didn't favor JD throwing the football. he never built his confidence and never was allowed to throw like Toledo game. our play calls on offense were shit, complete shit, run, run, pass, run, reverse, screen, run, pass

awebbf5

VIP Member
No, Muschamp's the guy--that's not good thinking, canning Chomp--but it IS how certain alcohol-sodden-brained boosters with too much time on their hands THINK, it's true. Foley won't do it.
However, it IS time to start discussing PEASE's tenure here, I believe. He's NOT calling good games, he DOESN'T have his team ready to play, and he ISN'T "doing the most with his personel"...(Can't BELIEVE we are getting the ball back here, at least--BLOCK???)
Reall
No, Muschamp's the guy--that's not good thinking, canning Chomp--but it IS how certain alcohol-sodden-brained boosters with too much time on their hands THINK, it's true. Foley won't do it.
However, it IS time to start discussing PEASE's tenure here, I believe. He's NOT calling good games, he DOESN'T have his team ready to play, and he ISN'T "doing the most with his personel"...(Can't BELIEVE we are getting the ball back here, at least--BLOCK???)

Muschamp is the head coach, he is responsible for his staff, and at the end of the day you don't want to do anything with your staff then go down with them. We were the better team and Lou Holtz just said it, but we lost. Don't put all the blame on Driskel. When on first down you run every time, second down you run every time, then after you have been stuffed cause they know what your gonna do, pass on third and their ready for it. This was crap and Muschamp knows it. Hell why don't we go get Addazio he would have had the same damn play calling. You can blast me if you want and say whatever ,but no way rival game or not we should have lost!

Last edited by a moderator:

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
the blame should be placed on Brent Pease's fucking lap, gift wrapped with 2012-2013 bow on it. Because we have been FLAT and PREDICABLE for 2 years now on offense. Jeff Driskle has potential, but running the ball WHEN YOU'RE BEHIND and WHEN YOU AREN'T RUNNING WELL, THEN PLEASE CHANGE THE FUCKING PLAY CALLS.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...As I was saying (with the long passes FINALLY coming here now, too late to do anything--yikes--CLUSTER-F*CK to end it) this OC HAS to shoulder something like 90% of the blame--I mean, JD was terrible most of the way--and pretty well gave the game AWAY there in the redzone--but the OC banked on him in the first place, and doesn't put him--OR the offense in general--in position to make best use of his (or the rest of his squad's) talents and score TDs.
Here's MY "radical proposal": Time to (1) Sit JD, bring in the most promising of the freshmen QBs, and begin to look to the future (It'll hurt, cost us a game or two while we rely mainly on our D to win games--but HOW IS THAT DIFFERENT THAN WHERE WE'RE AT NOW??? I believe it'll put us WAY ahead and ready for a Nat'l Championship Playoff run NEXT season, if we make the move NOW--and conversely, leave us probably that much SHORT of doing so next year if we DON'T), and (2) Begin quietly "scouting" for our next OC: This is starting to be "Weis" all over again (NOT Addazio, really--darkly, cynically funny as that line was when it was said mid-game; we KNEW Addazio was a bufoon, but this is the 2nd OC that came in with a big rep for creative, wide-open play-calling, that didn't ever materialize), guy with the big rep not gettin' it done, maybe not having the goods after all.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well I am going to finish drinking, almost having flashbacks, I feel the same way I did during the Zook era. This is a rough one guys.

miltongator

Gator Fan
I'm thinking that our (run the ball and play D) head coach is pulling on the reins and the rest of the nation has caught on.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
O yeah we got a bye week next week, WE SURE DAMN NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
O yeah, bye--and I need it TOO--I just am too disappointed, not just in the loss but with the whole state of our team, to re-focus on Tennessee yet. We can all see how Muschamp approaches this psychologically, with the "We still have all our goals in front of us, guys"-speech, but who here has any real confidence that there'll be any change or real improvement on offense? I just don't SEE it without change at-the-top, on- and OFF-the-field.
I won't be watching ANY college-football coverage for the next week or so, thus removing at least for now my one last sport-fan pleasure from what is normally my favorite time-of-year--and I hope y'all will forgive me if I'm not around even HERE for a few days after this debacle: That's what it was, just the worst kind of loss, the kind we KNOW we "woulda/shoulda/coulda" but we DIDN'T--and we all know all the reasons large and small WHY. HATE that.
All well and good to aim to be the "biggest, baddest downhill drivin' offensive team", but this is modern college football, and ya gotta be able to fling it, score fast from anywhere on the field, as well. It don't take an "offensive mastermind" to see that, and as for "the right players", there are no excuses as to explaining why we don't seem to have them---I believe we DO, for the most part, and they're either not being used right or not being used at ALL...and in those cases where we DON'T (ie. No depth on the Line OR at receiver), well, WTF??? Go out an FIX IT! We get our share of everything we want and need, year after year--Everything else is just excuses.

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
There are certain quarterbacks that have what it takes to win games and JD isn't one of them. Driskle doesn't seem sharp enough and CONSTANTLY make mistakes. He's not a play maker who can read defense well to understand that sometimes you just don't throw in certain situations and should tuck it and run the ball. His 2 interceptions in the end zone prove this point. Tebow would've made those TDs happen. Watch Tebow highlights for comparison and what he did under the same situations and you will clearly see that JD does not have what it takes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm thinking that our (run the ball and play D) head coach is pulling on the reins and the rest of the nation has caught on.
I'm afraid there may be some truth to that--tho' I ALSO think he goes THERE 'cause he sees nothing but misfiring-underachievement from the offense he WANTED to "turn loose" in the hands of a knowledgeable and creative OC. If that O could find its @$$ with both hands in the FIRST half, maybe our Head Coach wouldn't be so inclined to exert his own conservative control over it in the second, based on what we've ALL seen from that unit (and its floundering clumsiness) in the FIRST.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There are certain quarterbacks that have what it takes to win games and JD isn't one of them. Driskle doesn't seem sharp enough and CONSTANTLY make mistakes. He's not a play maker who can read defense well to understand that sometimes you just don't throw in certain situations and should tuck it and run the ball. His 2 interceptions in the end zone prove this point. Tebow would've made those TDs happen. Watch Tebow highlights for comparison and what he did under the same situations and you will clearly see that JD does not have what it takes.
OMG, you say a mouthful here, man. Damn shame, but true: I mean, how clear does it need to BE? He just hits the open receiver at the back of the endzone 2 plays before the FIRST redzone-pick, and gets the FG-unit a shot instead of the second, and we get out of there with a win DESPITE the otherwise poor game overall by that offense AND its OC.
Yeah, time to just say it and close the book: This QB does NOT "have IT", whatever it "takes to win"--on the contrary, today he actually threw a game AWAY, a game that was MORE than "winnable". D played its heart out, DESERVED the victory, but can't fix THAT mess, THOSE kind of worst-moment-mistakes.
That wasn't just "a bad game" by JD--it was a fully made "case against him". I am serious about moving that one freshman in (Tyler may be "more ready", but as a walk-on senior it does NOTHING for our future getting him in there), maybe getting the OTHER one out of redshirt TOO,, seeing what we've got back there NOW (I KNOW there's talk that we've got a couple of really good ones "in the wings", possibly Morningweg, and Greer especially, look to be candidates for "true glory" in terms of leadership as WELL as raw talent--gonna NEED them to go through their growing pains if one's gonna lead us to greatness NEXT season; Who's for starting to aim for that NOW? Otherwise, it'll likely be the year AFTER that we really come into our own...'Course, I'm conceding this year then as at best maybe a 10-and-2 reg-season, MAYBE a BCS-bowl, maybe Capital One, but that's suddenly our highes target now ANYWAY, no? Watta we got to LOSE, then?)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
e="DRU2012, post: 70997, member: 2084"]No, Muschamp's the guy--that's not good thinking, canning Chomp--but it IS how certain alcohol-sodden-brained boosters with too much time on their hands THINK, it's true. Foley won't do it.
Reall
(continued...)
Muschamp is the head coach, he is responsible for his staff, and at the end of the day you don't want to do anything with your staff then go down with them. We were the better team and Lou Holtz just said it, but we lost. Don't put all the blame on Driskel. When on first down you run every time, second down you run every time, then after you have been stuffed cause they know what your gonna do, pass on third and their ready for it. This was crap and Muschamp knows it. Hell why don't we go get Addazio he would have had the same damn play calling. You can blast me if you want and say whatever ,but no way rival game or not we should have lost![/quote]
--awebbf5
No man, I agree with you all down the line...BUT: JD STILL gets the goat-horns for not getting it done--but that's not all: In college ball, you want, gotta HAVE, really, the QB who WINS a game like this one--NOT throws it away, which is what he did, let's face it.
Yes, he's hand-cuffed somewhat by play-calling and the failure in general by this OC to plan for and/or call the game, but the QB is on-the-scene with the ball in HIS hands, audibles, choices and his own talents to turn to as things unfold--and he BLEW all of it EVERY TIME here today. So I'M for making the IMMEDIATE change there--but for the sake of what this team can be in the FUTURE, NOT to "fix" this season. Same for the OC: Time to start quietly casting about for another guy--and here, I'm thinking Muschamp almost HAS to be leaning that way, 'cause his job WILL be soon on-the-line if he's seen as "starting over" NEXT year, which will be the case if he has to go into it with NOT ONE QB with any real experience on-the-field. Foley will support him in that, too--HE understands, and he WANTS to see Chomp succeed here, obviously. I just do not know what to MAKE of Pease at this point. WHAT'S HE BEEN DOING THIS PAST YEAR??!! What, if anything, has this all been building towards? With that "experience gap" about to hit at the start of NEXT season, as I pointed out, this HAD to be "The Year" for this coaching staff if they were going to be "cut some slack" going into NEXT...So what have we been staring at here? More to the point, What did THEY have in mind here?!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--Like all of you, I'm licking my wounds and trying, hoping-against-hope that we can somehow "turna negative into a positive"--face some "truths-revealed" that a bare-win would have only covered-over temporarily. We are NOT a Championship-calibre team yet, not with THAT offense, and I don't see JD as even the "game-manager" he was oft-touted as "growing into" this last season-plus--and as for being "Pease's on-field avatar", well, that may be all-too-accurate--the man to lose the game in predictable fashion thanks to the OC's bland prep and play-calling.

Rooting for this Gator team to somehow "at least win the SEC" is much like spending that 4th quarter just now rooting for them to "pull the game out"--SEEMS "almost doable", but deep down you KNOW they just won't quite MAKE it.
Who's for seeing a full-on, decisively rad-plan to win-it-all NEXT year--spend the rest of this one putting things in place and building TOWARDS that goal in realistic fashion?
Something to think about, my GE friends. We'll talk about this maybe in the off-week, if/when I can bring myself to limp back in here after a couple-few days. For now, I'll be drinkin' and chasing pretty women as much as I can--I'm single, frustrated, and it's my way of "drownin' my sorrows"--and I'm not sure WHICH of those two is the more effective "drown"...What am I SAYIN'??? Of COURSE I do (lol)...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh yeah--can't even BEGIN to bring TT into the discussion: Whole different creature. But there won't BE another, so not even nec. to HAVE that kind of "Total Winner" to win a game like THIS one was. No, what was REQUIRED was a cool head and a determination to go thru' his reads and "take what's there"--and if protection breaks down and/or the plays called aren't the right ones, a team, starting with the QB, that does what needs to be DONE--QB runs around buying time, receivers break off routes, some "come back" and others "release", depending on field-awareness, and worst-case you throw it away, make sure you get SOMETHING. How many times do you need to MAKE that same panicked-mistake? In the SAME GAME???

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
I only blame JD for one interception. The one to TB is not his fault. Yes it was high but very much catchable. TB as soon as he made his turn should of been looking for the ball. You can't asume your QB has time to wait for you to run 10 yards after the turn to start looking. Had TB turned his head he could of and should of caught the ball which would of been a first down. TB also dropped a wide open pass earlier in the game. JD is not a bad QB. He won't play perfect all the time. Our O-line played soft at times. Our defense was burned once. And TB and MJ fumbled. Our D stepped up after the 1st quater, but then our offense sputtered in the red zone. Can you blame BP for that. His play calls drove us up and down the field on Miami. The lack of execution and not being able to hold on to the ball cost us. Lets not forget about Moore, he was called on several holding and false starts. There were a lot of mistakes that perhaps if not made the out come would of been different also we are still dealing with the aftermath of the Meyer players or lack there of. Before we starts calling for the heads of BP, JD and WM, let be honest to ourselves. This game was a let down but to think we are the team to beat in the SEC or College Football would be an exaggeration . We have young play makers on offense that have still yet to spread their wings. Our defense is reloaded. Things will get better thats a guarantee. I really don't believe the play calling was that bad. The turnovers is what killed us and that's solely on the players. The only gripe I have with BP and WM is that we should of been allowing JD to throw more last year and against Toledo.

awebbf5

VIP Member
I only blame JD for one interception. The one to TB is not his fault. Yes it was high but very much catchable. TB as soon as he made his turn should of been looking for the ball. You can't asume your QB has time to wait for you to run 10 yards after the turn to start looking. Had TB turned his head he could of and should of caught the ball which would of been a first down. TB also dropped a wide open pass earlier in the game. JD is not a bad QB. He won't play perfect all the time. Our O-line played soft at times. Our defense was burned once. And TB and MJ fumbled. Our D stepped up after the 1st quater, but then our offense sputtered in the red zone. Can you blame BP for that. His play calls drove us up and down the field on Miami. The lack of execution and not being able to hold on to the ball cost us. Lets not forget about Moore, he was called on several holding and false starts. There were a lot of mistakes that perhaps if not made the out come would of been different also we are still dealing with the aftermath of the Meyer players or lack there of. Before we starts calling for the heads of BP, JD and WM, let be honest to ourselves. This game was a let down but to think we are the team to beat in the SEC or College Football would be an exaggeration . We have young play makers on offense that have still yet to spread their wings. Our defense is reloaded. Things will get better thats a guarantee. I really don't believe the play calling was that bad. The turnovers is what killed us and that's solely on the players. The only gripe I have with BP and WM is that we should of been allowing JD to throw more last year and against Toledo.
I agree with most of that. I am a Driskel guy.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
It's just one game. There's a lot of season left and a SEC to win. Out offense should we can throw the ball if need be. I'm happy JD showed us he can make tough throws. He just needs to settle down and not panic. I think he needs to pull the ball down and use his gift as a runner when there're are no open receivers. We need better WR too, or at least the young ones need to prove themselves. It was a tough pill to swallow seeing UM beat us but give credit were credits due. I don't think UM did anything particular to win but unlike UF, they just did not do anything to cause themselves to loose.

This lost will hopefully be a good one, I am glad we did not win with such sloppy execution. Hopefully the tape will teach the O the lessons it needs over the next two weeks, we also need to protect the football better, but UM had two fumbles where they just put a good hat on the ball.

Overall the Offense has get to better end of story.

Even though Brent Pease calls the plays and is at fault ultimately the QB has to make better decisions with the football; hopefully both of them can improve over the bye week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema