• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 2: Florida Gators vs Miami Hurricanes

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators will have to open up the playbook in order to beat the 'Canes. Here are my top thoughts on the rivalry matchup:
  1. History. Miami leads the all-time series 28-26 (or trails Florida 26-25 if Miami's victories from 2002-2004 are officially vacated). This is the last game scheduled between these two teams, so the Gators will not have a chance to even the score. The best they can do is get it to 28-27 and hope for a rematch in the next decade. The teams tend to have hatred for one another. This year there is not much drama in the background, but this does not mean that the Gators should go easy on the 'Canes. Note: Coach Muschamp grew up watching this rivalry as a kid in Gainesville. Hopefully he will want to pile on a historical beatdown on Miami.
  2. Mass. The Gators have an offensive line that averages 308 pounds. The 'Canes have an offensive line that averages 315 pounds. I do not foresee the Gators getting a lot of pressure on the Miami QB.
  3. Momentum. The Gators can capitalize on rival Georgia's loss by working out the kinks on offense and special teams before they have to play tough SEC foes.
  4. Future NFL stars. Miami RB Duke Johnson and QB Stephen Morris get more respect as future NFL stars than Gator RB Matt Jones and QB Jeff Driskel.
  5. The Sugar Bowl blueprint. The Gators blueprint for not winning a game--the 2013 Sugar Bowl. The 'Canes have a blueprint for beating the Gators--the 2013 Sugar Bowl. Look for the 'Canes to send their running back up the middle until the Gators leave gaps to be exploited. Look for Morris to copy anything successful that Bridgewater did. Morris is not quite as accurate as Bridgewater, but he is good enough to cause some damage.

Last edited:

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
We will still have 1 player on suspension - Purifoy is still being held out - he must have done a real no no

Escambia94

I cannot find a source showing that Purifoy is still out. Oh well. If he shows up, then I will be pleasantly surprised. If not, then VH3 gets another chance to shine.

Ga8or22

I cannot find a source showing that Purifoy is still out. Oh well. If he shows up, then I will be pleasantly surprised. If not, then VH3 gets another chance to shine.
Though things could still change over the next five days, the Florida Gators on Monday afternoon released an updated depth chart ahead of Saturday’s game.

OFFENSE

QB: 6 Jeff Driskel, 3 Tyler Murphy
RB: 24 Matt Jones, 33 Mack Brown, 10 Valdez Showers OR 37 Mark Herndon
FB: 43 Hunter Joyer, 25 Gideon Ajagbe
WR (X): 1 Quinton Dunbar, 11 Demarcus Robinson
WR (Z): 83 Solomon Patton, 5 Ahmad Fulwood, 85 Chris Thompson
» 13 Latroy Pittman is suspended for Saturday’s game.
F Position: 8 Trey Burton, 30 Mike McNeely
» 13 Latroy Pittman is suspended for Saturday’s game.
TE: 88 Clay Burton, 87 Tevin Westbrook, 84 Colin Thompson

LT: 70 D.J. Humphries, 76 Max Garcia
LG: 76 Max Garcia, 63 Trip Thurman
C: 72 Jonotthan Harrison, 64 Kyle Koehne
RG: 64 Kyle Koehne, 77 Ian Silberman
» 67 Jon Halapio is not playing Saturday (torn pectoral).
RT: 73 Tyler Moore, 74 Trenton Brown

DEFENSE

DE: 90 Jonathan Bullard, 94 Bryan Cox, Jr.
NT: 44 Leon Orr, 4 Damien Jacobs
DT: 2 Dominique Easley, 55 Darious Cummings
Buck DE: 6 Dante Fowler, Jr., 95 Alex McCalister
SLB: 7 Ronald Powell, 13 Daniel McMillian
MLB: 51 Michael Taylor, 3 Antonio Morrison
» Morrison returns after suspension but not as a starter.
WLB: 11 Neiron Ball, 49 Darrin Kitchens

RCB: 14 Jaylen Watkins OR 15 Loucheiz Purifoy
LCB: 5 Marcus Roberson, 16 Vernon Hargreaves III
Nickel CB: 24 Brian Poole, 16 Vernon Hargreaves III
Dime CB: 20 Marcus Maye, 31 Cody Riggs
S: 20 Marcus Maye, 42 Keanu Neal
S: 31 Cody Riggs, 21 Jabari Gorman

SPECIAL TEAMS

K: 16 Austin Hardin, 97 Brad Phillips
P: 4 Kyle Christy, 40 Justin Vogel
H: 3 Tyler Murphy, 43 Kyle Crofoot
LS: 46 Drew Ferris, 43 Kyle Crofoot
KR: 83 Solomon Patton, 10 Valdez Showers
PR: 5 Marcus Roberson, 8 Trey Burton, 24 Brian Poole

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Gator Country says to expect another close one and I believe them
http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/mark-miller-report-expect-another-close-one/

It won't be close, here is why ...

Their O-line will not be able to hang with our Defense. We have too much power and speed on the line, add that with a noon game. Conditioning alone will play a factor, and Muschamp has ran our guys through a gauntlet of conditioning drills.

^ Their Defense will be on the field way too much when their Offense starts going 3 and out. This is when our style of Offense favors us. It gives our Defense a rest while we drive the ball down the field, put up points. Rinse, repeat.

I think it will unravel fast for Miami, as in 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Team Captains Announced by Mushchamp - Driskel, Dunbar, Riggs and Roberson

all miami natives except driskel

Last edited:

Ga8or22

Will Muschamp says on his radio show Florida will wear white uniforms. "We're going to be part of the whiteout." #Gators

Escambia94

My Monte Carlo simulator has the Gators winning 24 to 12 (+/- 3 points), unless Miami has a freak upset and wins 15-11.

upload_2013-9-5_21-35-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2013-9-5_21-33-57.png
    upload_2013-9-5_21-33-57.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 210

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It won't be close, here is why ...

Their O-line will not be able to hang with our Defense. We have too much power and speed on the line, add that with a noon game. Conditioning alone will play a factor, and Muschamp has ran our guys through a gauntlet of conditioning drills.

^ Their Defense will be on the field way too much when their Offense starts going 3 and out. This is when our style of Offense favors us. It gives our Defense a rest while we drive the ball down the field, put up points. Rinse, repeat.

I think it will unravel fast for Miami, as in 1/2 way through the 2nd quarter.
I pretty well have it the same way, NG--BUT: This one STILL has me worried. Not you? I mean, just 'cause it's THEM, wanna beat 'em SO bad, and things are still somewhat "shaking out and coming together" on our squad.
I'd feel more confident in this analysis if we had our O-line fully intact AND the depth we'll have eventually on defense.
Oh well, we deal with things as they are, like everyone else. Hope Purifoy plays. Hope our running game really gets untracked--AND I HOPE TO HELL THAT PEACE OPENS UP THE PLAYBOOK (you got it right, @Escambia94 ), that JD & co. really ARE capable of running it now (Pittman's suspension is more worrisome here than you may think--we just haven't shown we've GOT more than a couple playmaking receivers yet--and he's shown signs of becoming one of 'em). Would LOVE to find us laughin' our way thru' the 2nd half, believe it's IN us, and that we'll HAVE to start SHOWING it soon if this is gonna be a "Big Year"--but right now, this early in a season that has begun with a few more injuries and suspensions than anticipated, I'll take a close win.

I know the gators will win, but I think this is going to be a tough match up. As long as we play solid with minimal mistakes we will be fine.

Escambia94

My commander is an FSU grad and FSU/Miami fan. He is letting us wear civilian clothes to work due to the broken air conditioning units (and he needs an excuse to let loose). His only rule is that we cannot wear Dallas Cowboys or Florida Gators gear. It might be worth it just to test the Colonel.

Ga8or22

My commander is an FSU grad and FSU/Miami fan. He is letting us wear civilian clothes to work due to the broken air conditioning units (and he needs an excuse to let loose). His only rule is that we cannot wear Dallas Cowboys or Florida Gators gear. It might be worth it just to test the Colonel.
So he is big into the Criminoles and the Scum. The man has no life.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
My dad was a Colonel. I never found this to be true. :p Same when he was a Major, and a Captain... and retired.... :D

Escambia94

He already hates coming into the engineering section because of my Gator paraphernalia. Hmmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema