• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Saturday, October 13--Florida at Vanderbilt

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--Gotta face it, call it what it is: Ten hours from now is the Kick Off to what is a "Classic TRAP game": A team we "should beat", on the road and sandwiched between our first really huge victory over an elite SEC opponent, and NEXT week's struggle at home against the team that replaced it ahead of us at #3 and what is likely our top competitor in the East, South Carolina--and though there are a host of apparent reasons why we should beat them, this is STILL an SEC-opponent that traditionally plays us tough (as they did last year when we barely beat them late in the SWAMP!), and one itself still searching for a "signature win". Even as a Gator team that this season appears to have finally broken its recent trend and truly become a full-game competitor that gets stronger as the game wears on, even with a charismatic, hard-nosed Head Coach who has the respect, love and attention of his players, it is only human that young men sometimes lose focus and fail to take repeated warnings regarding ALL of these pitfalls to heart. I'm not saying that's going to happen, necessarily--in fact, I have come to trust and believe in this Coach and staff, their level of thorough planning and attention to detail--only that we've seen it happen to other teams this season, in fact just last week, so here's hoping that my growing faith and confidence in this team's level of high energy and calm yet thorough preparation continues to be well-warranted.
...All of which is a real slick way of saying, "Don't BLOW it, guys!" We can expect to enter a relatively jazzed-up stadium to find ourselves facing an excited and determined group of Commodores in the 1st qrtr. Going by our early game performances thus far, we ourselves may start slow once more, maybe even find ourselves down a score as late as the early 2nd qrtr. Sure, I'd like to see us get a better start, play a more complete game from beginning to end, but at least we know now that we are resilient, can recover and reassert our dominance as the game goes on, no matter how unevenly we play in the early going. Do NOT underestimate that, either the ability to come back OR the simple and calm certainty-from-experience that we can do so.
We have already begun to discuss here at GE and elsewhere the various potential weaknesses in our team, the dangers facing us in this game and the remainder of the season ahead. In order to get this Game-thread discussion going (and to get MYSELF out of it, at least for now) I'm going to throw out a multi-leveled, open-ended question designed to draw out all of your by now hardening hopes and fears regarding this contest: What are the biggest dangers and pitfalls YOU see in this game for us, what should we be doing to prepare for this team AND our own potential let downs, and what sorts of approach and/or overall game plan do you feel gives us our best chance to get out of here with a comfortable win (or, for that matter, any win at ALL)?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
its%20a%20trap%20fixedv%20.jpg

Okay, let us call it what it is--a trap game. How do the Fightin' Gators get past the trap? Concentrate all fire on that super star destroyer! The mighty Gators will need to keep doing what it does best--dominate the line of scrimmage, free Gilly, let Elam hit anything on the field that moves, crush the enemy, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentation of their fans!

Both offenses are ranked at #88 and #90 with about 360-370 yards per game. Vandy will throw a lot more than Florida--they average 213 ypg to the Gators' 159 ypg (#115 and #82 in the nation respectively). The Gators boast the #24 rushing offense with 215 ypg to the Commodores' 76th-ranked rushing offense. Speaking of rushing, the 'Dores do not know how to stop the run. That falls perfectly into the Gators' plan of pounding the ball up the middle.

Historical notes supporting the trap theme:
- This is the first time since 1989 that the teams have played in October. The last time the Gators lost to Vandy was in an October game in 1988.
- Last year was the closest game between the two, with Vandy swarming the Gators with a deep-strike passing attack. Gators beware!
- As surprising as Vandy was last year, this year they are generating 121 more yards per game and holding their opponents by 71 fewer rushing yards than last year.
- Vandy is coming off a decent spoiler victory over Mizzou.

The Gators are favored by 9 with a 40-point spread. Vandy always finds a way to play the Gators tough. I see this game ending 21-7.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I have to work tonight so u won't see me in the thread today, but I'll be back to say I told you so....

35-6!!!! CHOMP CHOMP

I'm calling 31-3

Elam, Reed, and Gillislee will have big games

Driskel will throw for 260 yards with 1 TD pass and a TD run himself

Gillislee will have 180 yards rushing with 2 TD runs and 1 TD pass

^ I get SPECIFIC lol

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'll said 27-10, The Gator D is the key and I don't think Jordan Rodgers is going to channel his brother Aaron.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Really hope y'all are right, have the "gut-level intuitive insight-meter" working accurately here.
(Alabama returns the opening KO against Mizzou to start this one...as if they NEEDED that, or for that matter need a lights-out return TEAM to add to an already otherwise solidly well-balanced squad all around...It's US who need to start getting some production OUR Special Teams--both on kickoffs and especially on punts, where we're getting neither a decent rush nor ANY positive yards from the return team.)
As an officially-identified "Trap-Game", we must ultimately be satisfied with "any win at all", in my view. While I am often the worst offender in pronouncing "Disaster!" in reaction to any kind of clumsy, stumbling and uneven start, I will henceforth try to remember that we have this season well-established ourselves as a relentlessly driving, keep-it-close-and-take-control team, by now comprised of players that simply believe and trust themselves and each other to do what needs to be done in order to win the game late. I would of course prefer to see us play well from the start, score early and often and make this more of a "laugher", for a change--but we haven't done that yet, have so far relied on wearing DOWN an opponent rather than overwhelming them early with a high-flying attack, this is not the kind of Vanderbilt team that GETS rolled over in the first place, and their weaknesses seem to invite a game plan that lends itself to the way we've done things so far: Run, run, run...all of which, BTW, even more underlines the theme here today: "Trap-Game".
Leakfan12 : At worst, let's hope for no better than his brother as he has played so far THIS season...we had some trouble with the FIRST "mobile QB" we faced this year, TAMU's Manziel, at least in the first half. I expect us to do a better job this time, our coaches ready to make some of their adjustments in the first half, depending on what they throw at us. Make him run, and we assume control of this thing sooner rather than later.
NaffGutts : You DO "get specific", NG--and if you come even CLOSE to getting it right again (as we of course all pray is the case, brother Gator), you may well begin to build not just a reputation for prescience, but as a bit of a superstition-fueled "touchstone" yourself--we may have to REQUIRE your weekly "NaffGutts' Projected Final Score" as part of our pre-game ritual here at GE: Having been raised among hard-boiled cynics and practical scientific-types, I of course do not "believe" in ANY of "this sort of nonsense"--but refuse to violate the possible quantum-connected causal-lines between action and result! (In other words, "Never mind logic, don't f*ck with what works!")
InkedAdrenaline : We'll miss ya today, of course--Again, hope you're right about our Reptiles' big day: Like NG, you've more and more been picking 'em to win by big numbers as this season has progressed and this team has clearly improved, gathered steam as a defensive and (as you are projecting) more and more an offensive force. You AND NG, by going with results that have us scoring over 30 points, foresee some change or dramatic combination of changes in one or several areas of play...Will there be an eruption by our offense, perhaps even the unveiling of a passing attack? Or will this relative "piling on points" be the result of turnovers and/or special teams-play? I guess what I'm REALLY trying to find out is how detailed and concrete your prediction is--based on a particular view of how we'll get there, or more an intuitive pick-from-the-gut, a "feeling from the future", as I (only half-kiddingly) referred to above.
Escambia94 : First of all, E-, I LOVE the cinematic references...Let's see, there's that Star Wars/Admiral Whats-his-name connect to start things off, setting the tone and theme of your comments re our offense (Btw, these would be even MORE apropos in discussing any future meeting with Ole Miss--Did you hear about his image WINNING an unofficial popular on-campus vote when they got rid of the "Rebel-flag" and the "Ol' Rebel"-symbols for PC-reasons and were casting about for a NEW one? "Leader of the Rebel forces", after all...might wanna file it away for future fun). Then there's the smooth move over to "Conan The Barbarian" a sentence later within the same paragraph...all clever AND on point. My complements! Well done.
Your actual points and the logic and data by which you arrive at them well-describe my fears, and develop in detail exactly why I am more concerned and less sanguine regarding this contest than most others here. I WANT to believe in a "Big Win", but secretly I am trying to moderate my expectations, to be satisfied rather than freaked out if we JUST KEEP IT CLOSE in the first half. We know how to win that kind of game now, and I like our chances in the 2nd half against a team like Vanderbilt as LONG as we are within one score when we ccome out of the locker room for the 2nd half.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Geez--just announced: our 1st-string pulling guard, James Wilson, "has been left behind in Gainesville", according to Coach Muschamp, to be "addressed after the game" he says but presumed to be a serious injury...AND Dominic Easley is here but isn't dressed--still some swelling on that previous injury.. The first injury affects our running game in a big way; the second leaves our primary defensive play-caller and one of our emotional sparkplugs off the field today. All in all, lousy news and bo]domens for our game today.
Meanwhile, a promising opening-drive comes to naught on Hammond's 3rd-down drop. We punt them down deep.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We only lose 5 yards on that exchange--now let's take it IN, Gators! So far the passing game, short-to-mid-range, has played as big a role as running.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I LIKE their using the pass more--but THAT "out" was pathetic...here's 3rd down again: ANOTHER poor "out"-route ...and JD was looking at him all the way. Presumably this is what they practiced all week? Here we go again, making a team we are clearly superior to look as good as we are--and a penalty on Purifoi for "interference" on the punt-returner...actualy a good hit, but since last year a penalty when you don't "give the punt-fielder room to receive the punt", a judgment call and one that was close here...I guess you're gonna get it when you hit him so hard--kinda dumb in this situation, and reverses field position battle that we were winning up 'til this point. Up to our D now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Man, this is going exactly as I feared: we are "messing around", and they are getting INTO it--and here's the big pass working for Vanderbilt--they have it in our redzone, damnit!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here it comes, folks--the 1st quarter let-down and us getting behind on the road. Of all the games to find myself here alone, with no one to freak-out with! I'm gonna cool it here until I know there're other folks here going through this with me. Main hope now is our defense does its "shut-down"-thing, holds 'em to an FG...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DAMN! I thought we had that defensed--but a perfect throw over the only defender(we brought-the-house and ALMOST got the QB just before he threw it). Now we're in a GAME, boys, and better respond, PRONTO!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, not sure I LIKE this "dink and dunk" passing game--it's slow as a running play and not as wearing on the opposing defense as our running gam,e...3rd and 5 again...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
STUPID false-start penalty--right where Roby is replacing Wilson. DAMNIT!@ Driskel would have MADE the 1st down without that penalty...punting AGAIN--and JUST misses getting downed on the one. We have yet to respond, getting beat repeatyedly on 3rd down, last time by our own mistake...this is starting to become the kind of game we DON'T want. C'mon, Gators--take control, D!

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
STUPID false-start penalty--right where Roby is replacing Wilson. DAMNIT!@ Driskel would have MADE the 1st down without that penalty...punting AGAIN--and JUST misses getting downed on the one. We have yet to respond, getting beat repeatyedly on 3rd down, last time by our own mistake...this is starting to become the kind of game we DON'T want. C'mon, Gators--take control, D!

this is the game we've been watching all season, you know this aswell as anyone else, we will rally and our defense will step up. i'll be back to tell you i told you so when it's over. too many games going on to be typing lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema