• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Saturday, October 13--Florida at Vanderbilt

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I we can drive it in, and I mean "IN", for a TD, THEN we'll finally have this one put away--they'll have to throw, mostly, and it'll be a "sacks'n'picks" party to finish off the day. Just put another "short-field-drive" together, boys. Hines runs it on the end-around down to the 12. Aw heck--ANOTHER "false start"...and these penalties have forced those two FGs (that's TEN now--back to the kind of sloppiness that plagued us early in the year)--and that is POISON to a running team...looked like they weren't even TRYING for the 1st down there once they got the penalty: Here's Sturges for another 3 pts...Still, now it's 2 scores with just over 5 minutes left...OK, it's gonna be a white-knuckler the last few minutes here, with everything now (as ever, this game and most of the others this season) on our defense--LONG COMPLETION, and they have it at our 23 already! That just shouldn't HAPPEN. All we had to DO was make them go the long way. E-, you're right about how poorly we play this Vanderbilt team--Now we'll be fortunate to get out of here with the win--I am worried! 2nd and goal at the 3, with THEIR line pushing OURS around. We CAN lose this here.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They go for the 3 to make it a 1-score game--but that puts it in our lap, especially if they try the onsdes here.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The offense=can redeem itself with a long, line-of-scrimmage-controlling drive now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DRISKIL PUNCHES 'EM LIGHTS OUT! TOUCHDOWN! He has BEEN the "offense" tonight!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I LOVE this kid! And he is only gonna get BETTER, MORE dangerous...just WAIT until he begins to "get" the instinctive timing of the passing game--AND some decent playmakers to work with at WR, for his longer passes.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
How is Vandy looking so good on the line of scrimmage and in 4th quarter offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sigh...OK, we can finally breathe now...but this was WAY too close, WAY too late--and for reasons I WOULDN'T have expected, as well as ones I did--our failure to really take over on offense in the 2nd half was a big reason, of course--and though you've got to give the Vandy defense a certain part of the credit, I wonder how much our missing 3-out-of-5 members of what HAD been our tightly-functioning O-line from injury had to do with that. We have greater depth on the D-line, where we REALLY missed Easley and at least one other starter who was out for this one...But it is on the O-line where our biggest questions and potential problems are going into NEXT week's game.
(Meanwhile, too early to pack this one in, it seems, after all--they have the ball inside our 10 now with 40 seconds left. YES! Good time for a sack. They are still going after a TD and an onsides kick here to try and tie us at the end--I LIKE the attitude AND play of this Commodore team--now that we are just about out of here! Oops! Should have been a TD there on 4th down--but no go. Alright, NOW we run out the last few seconds.)
Hey!--THIS Gator team should have, BETTER have learned a gut-level lesson here--one that teams always THINK they know and understand going INto games like this one, but never REALLY do until they find themselves over-their-heads in rough waters and running out of breath...That lesson?: "ANY well-coached team is capable of keeping it close, giving you a game, and even BEATING you under certain circumstances--and these may be unforseeable and beyond your control...Even a GOOD team must 'come to play'".
--Luckily we (hopefully) learned it this time WITHOUT having to actually lose one, and it turned out that way MAINLY because of the kind of team this one really has turned out to be: We have deep reserves of character and drive, so neither staff nor team panics--everyone trusts themselves and each other, coaches to see what's needed and design/adjust accordingly, and players to execute--and know the guys around and behind them will get it done as well.
On a day when our offense had very little BUT Gilly and Driskel, and our defense (for whatever reason) continued to have difficulty getting off the field, even thru' the 2nd half and right into the 4th qrtr, when THEIR offense pushed around OUR D-line and (at least in the 2nd half) controlled time-of-possession, with hardly a first down or a completed pass we STILL out-scored them and found another way to win--this time with special teams,
Ugly? Yes (except for a couple of dazzling moments that seemed to come out of NOWHERE, like the fake punt play, and JD's decisive run-for-touchdown)--but I'm really NOT so worried about all of that, all the ways we DIDN'T get it done the "same-old-way" on offense, OR even that we weren't able to do much yet with the passing game, even though we tried. Truth is, I AM at least GLAD that "we tried", am sure it will give us some things to work with next week and beyond--though I WISH we'd at least taken a SHOT or two down-the-field, give future opponents SOMETHING to think about defending, at least: As it stands, we'll probably have to COMPLETE a couple downfield before defenses will bother to drop someone back, instead of packing the box against our running game--Winning teams find new ways to win when things are going wrong and their strengths are being countered, and that is EXACTLY what we managed to do tonight. We GOT "trapped" on the road in Nashville--but managed to win anyway AND learn a few more things about ourselves in the process.
No, the thing that worries me the most by far coming out of this one has to do of course with our injuries: We'll be OK on defense I think, although we sure could use Easley and Jenkins' return for next Saturday's game against USCe; that'll all come down to the progress each makes in what are proverbial "day-to-day decisions". Now, this whole business with Wilson being left back in Gainesville and the pregame-announcement that Muschamp "will discuss the situation and give further information after the game" sounds especially serious: No matter what, it doesn't sound like we'll be getting this starting guard (who pulls on the sweep to Gilly, making the sealing "kick-out block" that opens up the hole to spring him) back anytime soon. We also were without the services of 2 other starting O-linemen today as well, making 3-out-of-5 experienced and synced-together members of what HAD developed into a tight, efficiently functioning unit missing today, and it showed. More than at any other set-of-related-positions, these are most crucially dependent upon familiarity and repetition with and among each other to achieve a level of consistent, interdependent success and efficiency...Losing ONE member can detract from overall performance--losing THREE, no matter how good the back-ups are, can throw the whole unit into disarray, and we saw some of that today--the O-line looked more like LAST year's! I am as concerned about this as anything that has befallen us this season: we have just one week to re-constitute a viable O-line, a tough bill under the best of circumstances--say, where we get 2 out of 3 of 'em back and can fit another lineman already familiar with our scheme AND the other players in and be ready-to-go by Saturday. We'll just have to see.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
they called it a trap game for a reason, vandy is getting better and we are coming off a huge win while also going into another huge game, i think Muschamp sat a few people out to stay healthy and rested. This game was ugly but Pease let out a few more plays than what he probably wanted to just to ensure the win.

think strategy guys

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I did not see the game. Did they sit down a lot of key players?

I read on another site that Easley was suspended for the game due to pre-game altercation with a Vandy player. Any news on this?

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I did not see the game. Did they sit down a lot of key players?

I read on another site that Easley was suspended for the game due to pre-game altercation with a Vandy player. Any news on this?

not sure, announcers just said that he didn't dress out.

Gators I am currently watching the USC and LSU game. If we can play some offense, we are the best team in the East.

I am concerned that our offense will keep our defense too much on the field next week. Their defense is not that great; our defense has to step up next week.

I am just hoping the gators rest, practice and act right.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema