• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Saturday, October 13--Florida at Vanderbilt

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Since America LOVES offense, and everyone already KNOWS about SEC-defenses ("and blah blah blah YAWN!...Show us some scoring highlights! ENTERTAIN us!"), what "they" are talking about out there on the commercial blogs and even more so over and among the highlights on the "Worldwide Leader" and elsewhere is of course Jeff Driskel, his 3 touchdowns, record for most running yards as a Gator QB (177), and of course that 70+ yard run-from-scrimmage to score and ice the game-- a sort of super-sized, big-fellow-with-another-gear bursting across the opposing secondary , between and past several fleet defenders who HAD the angle on him but he was by them in a flash ANYWAY--Hey, great TV, ya gotta admit!--and predictable allusions to "that OTHER Gator quarterback who you might have heard about" who was famous for running and held that yardage record that JD broke today. He WAS the key to pulling this one out, but showing mainly Driskel running into the endzone over and over again gives a completely inaccurate view of what transpired in Nashville today, meaning that most of America figures we've got this killer-D and another amazing athlete at QB, and lookout everyone else--which is fine with me, as long as our PLAYERS don't buy into any of that silliness and realize how close they came to blowing things today, and how much work they have to do almost EVERYWHERE to get ready for the NEXT game--and how high a wall that'll be to climb with so many players key to our style-of-play likely to be missing due to injury.

(BTW: Though fewer big upsets today, there WERE a lot of games where the favored highly-ranked team came CLOSE to getting beaten...we were FAR from the only ones, in fact compared to the others ours wasn't even that close and isn't being covered that way. For eg., Ohio St. barely beat Indiana, final score 52-49 against a team that was as far "off the radar" as any playing today, certainly in the Big 10--but here they were almost recovering a 2nd onside kick DEEP that if recovered would have put them on the Buckeye 30 with an immediate shot at tying them--and a full minute to try and score a TD to WIN it...Bunch of other close ones, but the only unbeaten Top 10 team falling to an unranked opponent was TX Tech beating W. VA...As for the LSU/USCe game, the Gamecocks' c;ose loss to LSU was certainly no more impressive a performance than our win over the same team LAST week; IF we can get healthy enough to a LEAST field a decent, more efficient unit on the O-line next week against them in the Swamp we should have a pretty good shot at a win--once again, it'll all come down as always here in the SEC to a few small details and differences, for us in this case our health and depth along the O-line, the adjustments, additions and improvements we make THROUGHOUT our offense, and whether we can play more of a complete game in the Swamp next Saturday, beginning-to-end. If we can do all three, I believe that we not only will win THAT game, but will go to the SEC Championship with a shot at a National Championship. In other words, though we will of COURSE still have to "take one game at a time" through to the end of our SEC schedule (before facing FSU at the very end of the regular schedule--but they're not SEC, of course, and though we'd do well to beat them, a win in ATLANTA probably puts us into the BCS-Championship Game, regardless--the key word being "probably"), our beating the Gamecocks under the conditions I suggest above will finally make a "believer" out of me: I will begin to have a certain confidence, even "faith" in this team's gritty drive, toughness, resiliency, and above all do-it-yourself-destiny. If THIS team can win the NEXT one with a banged-up defense, an offense with pieces missing on the O-line and the passing game STILL a work-in-progress, I will begin to look at these Gators and this season in a completely different light than I have until now: I will begin to EXPECT success, somehow, and not be surprised by anything they accomplish from that point forward...But I will not explain or further elaborate on that change and why I will have accepted it until that bridge is crossed(PS ...And so much for that "Meyer winning it with DEFENSE" line-of-hype that's been the ESPN angle until this weekend...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I did not see the game. Did they sit down a lot of key players?

I read on another site that Easley was suspended for the game due to pre-game altercation with a Vandy player. Any news on this?
not sure, announcers just said that he didn't dress out.

Not sure either--as NG says, we were not told very much--only announcement pre-game from Muschamp via the game-announcers that Easley "was here, had dressed but wouldn't play" (it SOUNDED like he injured himself in practice--but this other explanation makes JUST as much sense, maybe MORE when you factor in the weird, tight-lipped vibe around the whole thing), and starting pulling-guard Wilson hadn't even travelled to Nashville with team and that he (Muschamp) would elaborate on these matters "after the game"...Now, it sure sounded like injuries were involved, but that may have been more implied/assumed, since Easley was "day-to-day" the past week and it was "HOPED he would play", while the Wilson situation (with other O-line starters out on a crucial unit that, once healthy, had found some chemistry and HAD been finally coming into its own, a much more troubling loss--as you saw with our nowhere NEAR as efficient or reliable as it had been in opening holes for our running game before today) seeming, by implication of the circumstances, more serious an injury...I've been watching a bunch of other games and monitoring the highlight-shows, so I missed the Muschamp post-game presser (assuming it has already taken place, as usual)--Did he talk about Easley? Obviously I'm hopin g it WAS due to ssome dumb "mixing it up" with an equally hot-headed Commodore, rather than an injury, and that Chomp feels forcing him to watch today's contest from the sidelines in STREET clothes (Yep, there he was, cheering on his fellows on defense) was enough punishment for him to both FEEL humbled and chastised and, properly "disciplined" permits him to return to play against USCe. The Vilson (presumed) injury is more serious, regardless: he's the player who pulls out and gets out ahead of the RB, sealing the outside rushing lineman or linebacker (depending on the defense, 3-4 or 4-3), providing the "kick out" block that often springs Gilissley for big yardage as he breaks into the secondary. We all saw what losing 3-out-of-5 of that unit did for our until-today steady and reliable running game (the only part of our offense you could use those adjectives on); getting Wilson back, or replacing him with someone who even begins to fill the hole left by his sudden gap should we have to do so, would be the toughest part of what is cumulatively a potential disaster for this offense.Whereas we formerly had enough difficulties developing BALANCE in our run-heavy offense, we may now have to spend a great deal of time and effort retooling even the part we thought we COULD rely on just to get back to "OK"...will we even have time to work on a viable passing game now?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
this is the game we've been watching all season, you know this aswell as anyone else, we will rally and our defense will step up. i'll be back to tell you i told you so when it's over. too many games going on to be typing lol
(laughing) Didn't catch this during the game...You were RIGHT, bra'! ...and you're of course WELCOME to come back later and say "I TOLD you so!"--your predictions are both optimistic AND generally accurate enough to mean we've won the game, and won it HANDILY.
...Also, I was then and continue even now, as they all one-by-one come down to dramatic endings watching more close games all at once today than on any Saturday so far this season--though I kept sudden;y having to refocus on our Gatpr-game alone at several points in the 4th qrtr, where we found ourselves not having "sealed the deal" after all--but we STILL "took care of biz" better, earlier and with more dispatch than a WHO:E lot of others today, whouldn't you say?(the last of these petering out now, with A&M holding on at the end to beat La.Tech at their place, by 2pts. when they score a TD, get the 2 pointer, recover the onsides-kick, get another TD but MISS this 2nd 2-pointer to tie, then finally fail on the 2nd onsides-kick attempt--after being "out-of-it" with less than 2 minutes left then coming within a HAIR of tying it).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'm worried. They need get to a faster starts. Also throw the ball downfield more and cut down on those f'in penalties. Also congrats to Driskell for breaking a record by Tebow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
well guys had to work and couldn't record it, no espnu, but were 6-0, Gr8 2 be.
This was a weird one all around, one that both raised a lot of questions about our team once again, some "same old..." and others new ones (these latter mostly practical Qs regarding missing players, health of our team and if/when/who we'll get back by next week, and how that affects pour shot against the Gamecocks...
But you WON'T get any of that from SportsCenter or the Highlight shows, so if you have time, aweb, at least skim back over this thread, from near start-of-game, and I think you'll have a pretty good overview of how this game REALLY played out, what it told us about our team, and where we are at heading into the week leading up to Saturday's game against a Gamecock team that will be fired up and rather desperate: They still have "control over their own destiny", but that means not losing ANY other SEC games, most of all it means beating US. While there are a number of factors needing attention by our coaches and players before then, clearly we'll need more on offense than Driskel running free in their secondary.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm worried. They need get to a faster starts. Also throw the ball downfield more and cut down on those f'in penalties. Also congrats to Driskell for breaking a record by Tebow.
Yes: these are all the things that need to be worked on that they DO have direct control over. However, there also remain the matters of missing personnel--what I THOUGHT was all about injuries but maybe includes at least one instance of losing a player due to discipline. This refers to what turns out to be a suggestion (not yet officially confirmed) that Easley, one of our leaders (practically and emotionally) on defense, apparently having been removed from the line-up before Saturdays Vanderbilt game when (it is said that) he got in some sort of physical altercation with a Commodore player: Muschamp subsequently suspended him from the game and had him return to his street clothes, though he remained with the team and cheered them on from the sidelines. At the same time game-announcers relayed the Coach's announcement only that Easley wouldn't be playing in the game, that announcement ALSO included word that starting pulling-guard Wilson was left back in Gainesville, in this case DEFINITELY implying that this was due to injury...with regard to both players, that announcement included Muschamp's promise that he "would address these issues after the game".
(In a moment I'm going to go searching online again to find Coach's post-game presser and any OTHER places that might include further word on our health (pre- AND post-game) and any other news regarding Easley's disposition with respect to his possibly being punished for losing his composure and self-control, and eligibility to play NEXT week.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I watched the SC-LSU game. I like Florida's chances against SC, but with the same concerns as I had with Vandy--contain the mobile QB, avoid penalties, work on passing (or run JD a lot).

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I watched the SC-LSU game. I like Florida's chances against SC, but with the same concerns as I had with Vandy--contain the mobile QB, avoid penalties, work on passing (or run JD a lot).

we proved against Texas A&M that we can contain a mobile quarterback. Most of the game I was cussing at Muschamp for sitting so many starters, but now I applaud it. We need our new guys to step up if they ever get the chance in a big game, the center and everyone to the left of him was new and did great.

Driskel had an awesome game on his feet, Debose got a little fire back with his punt return and our special teams is still a nightmare, had a good field goal block, ok returns when we could, and coverage on our own kicking.

All in all, I think we come into next week with more information. Conner Shaw doesn't do well with pressure, and well, we all know how good our defense is at putting pressure on the QB and making him make a mistake that we can turn the field with.

ps - if anyone finds Vandy clips let me know, trying to make a new video, this one will be "special" considering the game itself didn't have a ton of highlights.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I found the answer to my question on missing players. This might help us understand why the Gators looked weak on both sides of the line of scrimmage:

RSr LG James Wilson did not make the trip after injuring his eye in Wednesday's practice. Wilson was replaced in the starting lineup by redshirt sophomore Ian Silberman, who made his first career start. This explains why it was hard to get a push on the left side with the running game.

RJr C Jon Harrison injured his arm on the first offensive series and did not return. Redshirt junior Kyle Koehne and Sam Robey took over for Harrison. There should not have been a noticeable dropoff in talent here.

Sr LT Xavier Nixon has an upper body injury he sustained late in the second quarter. His status is unknown. Couple this with the LG injury and the Gators had a patchwork offensive line on the left side.

Fr WR Latroy Pittman appeared to suffer a knee injury late in the first half.

Sr DB Josh Evans was hurt during the second half of the game. This was huge. He is a primary reason nobody scored on Florida in the 4th quarter until today.

RJr TE Jordan Reed injured his left eye but returned in the second half. I assume he may have been slowed down a bit.

Fr TE Kent Taylor (ankle) also went out. Didn't he just come back from injury?

Jr DL Dominique Easley. A source told The Gainesville Sun that Easley injured a knee during practice earlier in the week. Easley made the trip to Nashville, but did not dress for the game. Other reports indicate he was in a pre-game altercation with a Vandy player.

RJr OLB Jelani Jenkins did not play against Vandy. His place in the starting lineup was taken by true freshman Antonio Morrison.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
GEEZ, who KNOWS what the real story is re "injuries"/missing starters, who is out , for how long and why...I found maybe 2/3 of the publicly released, "ready for prime time"-version online, the other third was just MISSING--no word out there, officially or otherwise, and "all-of-the-above" does NOT include a couple of instances where there were two versions that completely contradicted each other. I went to my "backchannel source" within the Gator "Sports Information"/Athletic Dept. for clarification (which is more and more like trying to hold this individual down and pulling a MOLAR out of his mouth with a blunt pair of pliers--especially when it IS this kind of personnel question I want to talk about--this regime is clearly serious about "speaking with one voice" and controlling what ANYONE outside the program knows or hears about ANYTHING Gator-related) and can only say at this point that (1) We SHOULD get "most" of our defensive players back for USCe, and though "still day-to-day", 2 out of 3 of our starters on the O-line are "likely to be back" as well, with the 3rd, James Wilson (as important to our running game on offense as E- notes Josh Evans is to our defense's shutting down the opposition' running game) "still a question mark", and (2) A stonewalled-silence has descended over ANY comment regarding anything beyond Easley's "injury acting up pregame", no comment or reaction ANYWHERE regarding any "pregame altercation" or need for discipline--not even a denial in the only instance I could find of a beat-reporter asking about it, the same when I asked my contact (ie. pause, silence, then statement regarding his "previous injury acting up before game, spent game in street clothes on sidelines as precautionary measure"--all delivered seemingly by rote in this suddenly deadpan voice, like, do you remember the Coneheads and what they'd say/how it sounded when they were asked where they were from, then answered in paranoid unison, "We're from France!"? Sort of like that...)--the good news I guess being that Coach and Co. feel this has already been adequately dealt with, have done their best to maintain a (from the team's POV) fortunate opportunity to keep it under-the-radar requiring no outside involvement, and we should therefore likely see Easley (a big part of our defensive scheme, for his talent, leadership and, along with Elam his high energy example to all) back on the field for this weekend's game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema