• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Scholarship Numbers: Graduation, NFL Draft, and Transfers

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Interim summary of personnel movement, for those who are keeping score:

Add [26 recruits], with 5 of them already enrolled in classes this week and 1 enrolling this week. Assuming all goes well, that means that we only have 20 recruits that count towards 2013 and 6 that count towards 2012 (early enrollees). Most recruiting services assume Florida will pull in 25 for 2013 + the 6 EEs, but anything more than 20 for 2013 + the 6 EEs is gravy.

Subtract Jelani Jenkins, Jordan Reed, Matt Elam, and Shariff Floyd for the NFL Draft.

Subtract [Pop Saunders], [Juice Johnson], and [Jacoby Brissett] for transfers.

Subtract 19 seniors and redshirt seniors, including 8 football players that graduated in December.

As it stands, we are at +26 coming in, -26 leaving, with about 78 scholarships as of the end of the 2012 season (7 under the limit of 85). In a perfect world, we would be able to recruit 7 additional players that are not on my watch list in the recruiting thread.

In summary: our overall scholarship roster will probably remain at 78 at the start of the 2013 season. If we sign more than 20 on NSD, that will bring us closer to the full 85 scholarship limit. Obviously, any more transfers will also affect the total endgame.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
At this point, like most of you I am in "suspended-judgment-mode" until NSD, hoping that we are now looking at a pretty near finished shake-out process--to which I hope and pray we'll see 2 or 3 additions-of-note, maybe right in the final week: I'm SO sick of watching our "Top Rated Classes" drop off player-by-player in the last month or two, then getting pick-pocketed for a couple more good ones at positions-of-need in the last days or HOURS...Like to see US grab some good ones from unsuspecting rivals at the end, for a change.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Well, I no sooner say that and obviously it's heating up again, lots of "action"--mostly GOOD news in certain "coveted prospects" RETURNING to their once-dropped Gator commitments...ALSO, I just got an email (somewhat mysterious in many of its "hints"--I'll have to follow up on it in the morning) from someone-who-should-know to the effect of: "Two back, two more on-the-way instate, and at least two more than those from outside it...and a couple of potential shockers being worked on for the very end...Shaping up as maybe one of most amazing recruiting hauls ever...Good thing we freed up the space, looks like." Almost put that word, "shockers", in block letters, 'cause of course that especially jumped out at me. Hope I can pry more info loose from him later. Clearly, though, with Joker onboard now as well (he IS the "Recruiting Coordinator" now, too, remember, and a really GOOD one, by all accounts--who by his own claims behind-the-scenes, as a Gator is giddy with the notion of having "more clout and leverage than I've ever had before") we are moving fast and hard on every front to really make runs at everyone we really like NATIONWIDE.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Told you so?

The bowl game normally does not affect recruiting. Coaching stability does, and as long as no coaches leave this will be a good class. Note that our biggest problem was at WR. Note that we lost our WR coach and replaced him with a graduate assistant.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Told you so?

The bowl game normally does not affect recruiting. Coaching stability does, and as long as no coaches leave this will be a good class. Note that our biggest problem was at WR. Note that we lost our WR coach and replaced him with a graduate assistant.
..AND note that (after he moved on, having hung in there for the better-part-of-a-season so we didn't have to rush into anything) we replaced HIM ultimately with Joker Phillips, who is also our first-rate receivers-Coach now--and we are currently in pedal-to-the-metal-mode in BOTH areas, as a result.
(...and ALSO note my previous comments regarding how those elements and other related ones--the signs of openings (especially on offense), the fact that not just talented seniors but our most accomplished juniors are leaving, and that not only are all our fine coaches staying, but the one area unsettled was filled by probably the best guy by far available out there at EITHER job--may well be playing a major role in the re-renaissance of interest from prized recruits in this coming class...and thanks to all of that, PLUS Joker himself, it isn't over YET).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema