• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jacoby Brissett transferring

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Jacoby Brissett has elected to not start classes at UF on Monday, so he can transfer elsewhere. Rumor has it that West Virginia is a top destination.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Can't say that I'm upset. Wish him the best of luck,but if you ain't a gator you must be gator bait.

Escambia94

I wish nothing but the best for Jacoby. He wanted to be a Gator even though his family wanted him to be a Hurricane. He has always been supportive of the Gators. Good kid.

Escambia94

I have no preference. May the best man win at each position. May the best backup be ready to go when his number is called. Jacoby did that. Now, I hope Murphy, Staver, and Mornhinweg push Driskel to be better, or that one of them makes a quantum leap and energizes this offense.

Esambia I just felt JAcoby was a better passer and had better pocket presence thats all. Jeff needs to work on his throwing, pocket presence, and reading blizters at the line of scrimmage a lil better.

We are going to be fine, Jeff is a great kid and he will get better. We are getting him some folks to throw too, so he will be Gucci.

Escambia94

Agreed. JB is a better pocket passer than JD. I would even argue that JD should NOT be considered a pocket passer and needs to be re-labeled a mobile QB that accidentally squirts the ball forward to a receiver that is never open. ****ing GET RID OF THE BALL ALREADY! Sorry. Couldn't hold it any longer. No excuses next year, JD. We will have a bunch of receivers and running backs.

JB will be a stud elsewhere, given the opportunity.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I think Driskel will be ok before next season

I think they should run Trey Burton in some QB drills and see how he passes, he was a QB in HS and he seems like he has the calmness while in the wildcat, along with great awareness and him learning TE lets him understand routes better than QB-only guys can. Just my idea though

Escambia94

Better idea: Put Ronald Powell on a leash and tell him to count to 3. If Driskel has not thrown the ball or run out of the pocket, let RoPo lay a slobberknocker on Driskel. Eventually, the kid will get the idea--count to 3 and get to moving! Run, scoot, throw, do something! You get 3 seconds to make that call, and another 1.5 seconds to execute. Sometimes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hmm--Kill OUR QB...Interesting approach...But I take your point: The kid DOES have that one, persistent flaw that MUST somehow be overcome and left behind, RIGHT NOW: He's GOT to learn the quarterback-equivalent of "fish or cut bait": check-down, then throw or run, all in under 4 seconds (plus or minus a sec based on how good our O-line turns out to be as the 2013 season progresses). The thing is, I believe he has this problem in the first place BECAUSE he IS a very GOOD passer--he was the best-in-state-of-Fla. in prep, and has shown flashes of it since--but he is also a big, fast kid, a runner, has had to make big plays with his feet ever since he got here, and now is in a slight schizoid-panic-mode every time he finds himself under pressure and having to consider (what, unfortunately, this year has been) too many options, those from outside AND within:
(1) The ones without, such as which (of his questionably competent or reliable) WRs is going to be where he is supposed to be, if any will come back to help him if not and/or JD meanwhile has had to run around back there (at that point he should have at least one WR DOING that--but this past season they almost never DID), is it time to pull it down and run? and so on, and
(2) The pressures from within, such as, should I throw it away now, should I try to fit it into that spot that MIGHT still be there when ball and receiver arrive there, should I pull it down and run already when this is a "pro-set offense" where coaches and everyone ELSE say I'm supposed to drop back into the pocket and NOT run unless chased OUT of there, should I take this sure 6+ yds here-in-front-of-me-at-the-line-of-scrimmage as I am about to cross it or throw it to that dead spot opening upfield that the TE MIGHT get to and MIGHT catch? and so on..
...and remember I am just skimming-the-surface here, touching on a handful of the more obvious considerations among the DOZENS streaming by in his adrenalized brain while he is dancing around back there, avoiding big SEC-level rushing linemen and DBs out to drill him into the turf.
I'm not making excuses for the "brain-lock" that has appeared to manifest at times in reaction to all of this ...Rather I am making a point about the likelihood of him "snapping into focus": If he hasn't already been "ruined", learned bad-habits and/or become "gun-shy" about his own instincts--that and the innate talent that gives a top QB the "swagger" that leads an offense, sets the tone for the whole team and makes EVERYONE better, if that's still there and he can clear away the "garbage" that's been piling up around and on top of it, then the onus is simply on the Coaches to get him some more and better receivers and linemen, then they and the rest of this team start coming through for HIM, and (presumably then) he will quickly begin to consistently look more and more like that QB that everyone ELSE coveted and we GOT, the one who has already pulled off dazzling plays with his arm (tho' too many of THOSE were DROPPED this past season--an avg. of at LEAST a TD-a-game, seems like) AND his feet at all-to-few (but nonetheless hugely exciting and promising) moments in 2012.
If not, 2013 will be a bit of a rocky season, where we'll win our share with another great defense, but lose a couple or few while having to suffer either a too-flawed starter in JD, or the mid-season growing-pains of ANOTHER new quarterback (likely Mornigweg or--less likely, I think, THIS soon--Staver). If we DO succeed in creating (through experience, recruiting and coaching) the above "ideal conditions", and Jeff comes through, sees and feels the team around him, the game slows down for him as he takes control "at the eye of the storm", then (with all of the OTHER pieces we'll likely have falling into place over the course of the early part of the season) this Gator team WILL have a great chance to begin its big run in 2013...otherwise, it'll be more of a holding-action/retrenchment in 2013 as compared to 2012, and we'll have to wait another year for the REAL "fireworks"--We're counting that much on JD's realizing his very real potential!

(PS Whatever I might have thought about Jacoby's best choices, and both his AND our options, before his announced-transfer, once he made the decision all that became moot, so I am leaving it aside--except to say that whereas he WOULD have made a viable and realistic alternative once more in a renewed competition that might have forced the issue--shown EITHER that JD WOULD respond, OR redrawn the original decision had Brisset STAYED--with him gone that is a far less credible "threat" to JD's position as starter, and therefore far less the "pressure situation" that might have tested his redoubled efforts and shown his fortitude, sort of "forged him in the crucible" (or NOT) BEFORE we got to the actual season--nothing short of a DAZZLING BURSTING-upon-the-scene of one of these younger kids is likely to do that now, so we'll have to just trust the process itself, and hope-to-the-heavens that JD CAN "take that next step"...Again: We are COUNTING on him, my friends. I can't put it any more strongly or simply than that.)

Escambia94

Regardless of JD's excuse in 2012, he will have no excuses in 2013. Quinton Dunbar, Latroy Pittman, Raphael Andrades, etc will all be a year wiser and challenged by freshmen Demarcus Robinson, Alvin Bailey, and Ahmad Fulwood. In addition, he will have a couple running backs capable of catching out of the backfield. If Pease figures out how to use Burton as a hybrid TE/WR/RB/wildcat, the offense should be a top 30 offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Agreed about the opportunities to be better--but just as an aside, I don't recall JD "making excuses" himself--I thought that was one of the things we LIKED about him from the start, whatever else might be said (...and myself, I specifically renounced making any FOR him now, after-the-fact).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema