• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pop Saunders Transferring

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
De'Ante "Pop" Saunders is transferring out of the Florida Gator program. Here is his [bio].

CAREER:
True sophomore who has appeared in 12 games, recording 26 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble

Pop Saunders made an immediate impact in Will Muschamp's recruiting class of 2011, often reminding us of Ahmad Black. The Gators have done a good job at not highlighting the potential drug abuse issues that have plagued Saunders. Hopefully the kid will get a fresh start elsewhere and get his life back on track...whatever those issues were.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
This will be a big loss. Besides him, they're losing another safety to graduation and according to the ESPN, Elam might go to the NFL after this season.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Agreed. What is more important is that Saunders gets the help that he allegedly needs in order to maximize his potential. Coach Muschamp gave him plenty of opportunities to fix himself, but I understand that Muschamp is a little less tolerant of those who do not help themselves first. Smaller universities tend to fix those kids. I am not convinced that Louisville will be able to help, but I do know that Gainesville is not the place to fix an alleged drug problem.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think our Coach took his own ideas of "tolerance" about as far as he could go--and then some, in Saunders' case. He tried to bring him around, doing everything he could to give him both chances and discipline, AND kept it all low-key, too. Given the problems that Coach found when he got here, he "walked the razor's edge" with this kid, but it just didn't work out...on balance, yes, it's a loss, but more is gained than lost in the bigger picture of him leaving, as far as the TEAM is concerned, right? (And even performance-wise, that too had fallen off precipitously over time--hell, he'd dropped to back-up return-man, and when Debose kept screwing up on- AND off-the-field to an even greater degree, Saunders had his chance to climb back with the spotlight on him....and proceeded to bumble away that opportunity immediately--perhaps you remember a whole game of first letting punts bounce past him in a wide-open field to help the punter raise his average, then (after getting a tongue-lashing the 2nd time) finally CATCHING one--but fair-catching for it with 25 yards of open field in-front-of-him, THEN doing it AGAIN and MUFFING it in the 2nd half--to effectively END his chances there once-and-for-all.)
Look, it's pretty damn clear: This team was a living, breathing demonstration for the pitfalls of having a squad built BURSTING with talent but with no regard for character, maturity, drive or discipline. The time to unload the last few remnants of that mess is NOW--'cause we are about to take off for new places, where the only folks who can stop us is ourSELVES...
As for a certain sudden relative-thinness at safety (at least relative to maybe how we looked on paper BEFORE all of this), well, yeah, maybe--but I think Champ & Staff saw most of this coming, at least the possibilities, and already had plans in place--and remember, there's STILL some time before NSD: I have a feeling they'll leave little to chance when it comes to the "D" for next year, mark my words.

awebbf5

VIP Member
De'Ante "Pop" Saunders is transferring out of the Florida Gator program. Here is his [bio].

Pop Saunders made an immediate impact in Will Muschamp's recruiting class of 2011, often reminding us of Ahmad Black. The Gators have done a good job at not highlighting the potential drug abuse issues that have plagued Saunders. Hopefully the kid will get a fresh start elsewhere and get his life back on track...whatever those issues were.

Well if you ain't a gator, you must be gator bait!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema