• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I'm Back On The "Fire Addazio" Bandwagon

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
the coaches are not to blame for pouncey's bad snaps! If he still can't execute after he has been taught how to do it, the blame's on him - not his coaches.

Yes, we have benched players for poor gametime performance and i would expect moody not to see much time on the field next weekend against lsu for several errors he made tonight. Let's just hope that gillislee and demps are 100% next saturday as we need them in the backfield.

I still refuse to throw 100% of the blame on the coaches for this teams' mediocre performance - after all, we're not dealing with a pee-wee team here; we're dealing with an fbs college team that recruits only the best of the best. After all these years, these kids should have the fundamentals down pat - no excuses.

and if they don't who do we blame for keeping them in the game to make mistakes. Why bench moody for mistakes if you are not willing to bench a linemen for making multiply mistakes? I agree players get the blame too but you cant say its the players fault for keeping himself on the field. Thats a coaches decision solely. Is pouncey untouchable? We see this time and time again with oc and dc. They fail to get a team ready for a game have a bad season and get fired by there head coaches. We see coaches get fired as well. The buck always stops with the coaches fair or unfair. Thats why they get paid.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
and if they don't who do we blame for keeping them in the game to make mistakes. Why bench moody for mistakes if you are not willing to bench a linemen for making multiply mistakes? I agree players get the blame too but you cant say its the players fault for keeping himself on the field. Thats a coaches decision solely. Is pouncey untouchable? We see this time and time again with oc and dc. They fail to get a team ready for a game have a bad season and get fired by there head coaches. We see coaches get fired as well. The buck always stops with the coaches fair or unfair. Thats why they get paid.

So then - when a player skips class, blame the coaches? If they forget to tie their shoes, blame the coaches? If they're not paying attention at practice, blame the coaches? If they make a mistake that's their own fault, blame the coaches? If they miss their on-field assignment after they've been taught over and over again to do it correctly, blame the coaches?

We defeated ourselves with avoidable mistakes, and our kids feel the same way as well - yet in the eyes of most of our fans, I'm supposed to point fingers at the coaches and alter my way of thinking. Sorry, but I'm not doing that.

Jator

Gator Fan
So then - when a player skips class, blame the coaches? If they forget to tie their shoes, blame the coaches? If they're not paying attention at practice, blame the coaches? If they make a mistake that's their own fault, blame the coaches? If they miss their on-field assignment after they've been taught over and over again to do it correctly, blame the coaches?

We defeated ourselves with avoidable mistakes, and our kids feel the same way as well - yet in the eyes of most of our fans, I'm supposed to point fingers at the coaches and alter my way of thinking. Sorry, but I'm not doing that.

Interestingly thread. UFgatorFan believe the majority of the blame falls with the players, O-Town as far as I can tell is blaming poor execution on the players.

Simple truth is the plays being called were sub-par (Addazio has the fastest running back in college and he keeps calling the dive play????), or allow him to hit the hole running vs. waiting for Brantley to make up his mind on what he will do. Start running some misdirection plays, use Alabama's aggressive (and fast defense) against themselves (i.e. over-pursue). And if the O-Line isn't going to give Brantly the time he needs, move the pocket. Also, the execution of the plays called were sub-par. Both lines played poorly last night, Brantley made some bad judgement calls last night, and someone should remind Burton that it's not traveling call if you come down with a jump pass and you still have the ball in your hand.

I also agree that if a player is not performing well, you pull that player. Pouncy's poor snapping is excusable for one, maybe two games, but if he hasn't figured it our by now, move him back to his natural position, Guard.

Adazzio's play calling has been suspect all of last year and this. Luckily last year we had enough talent and senior experience to keep things moving, but I'm starting to believe Urban should have promoted the WR coach who left instead of Adazzio.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and I respect (though maybe don't agree) with everything said on this board.

Hopefully LSU will continue to be more dysfunctional than we are next week, not sure I want to watch back2back SEC losses.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Hopefully LSU will continue to be more dysfunctional than we are next week, not sure I want to watch back2back SEC losses.

If anything, last night was a learning experience for these kids. I'm a bit more optimistic; there won't be a repeat episode next Saturday.

Jator

Gator Fan
If anything, last night was a learning experience for these kids. I'm a bit more optimistic; there won't be a repeat episode next Saturday.

No argument it will be a learning experience. I also believe we have a better than 50/50 chance of beating LSU (say 70/30 given home field advantage and LSU's incompetence as a coach).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to have a fire sale, Urban's a smarter person than I, and I'm sure he will get the ship back on track. I also didn't have expectations that we would beat Alabama, but I did expect us to be more competitive.

Nothing wrong with being disappointed with the team after a loss, I'm sure Urban and the whole team are also disappointed. You'll note I am not on the fire Addazio bandwagon, though I certainly will say he's not my choice to call plays for the team (reminds me of the Zook years, I supported Zook even though he was not my first, second or third choice for the position).

In any event, if we are going to lose, I would prefer it to be a team we are supposed to lose against vs. someone like Georgia (now there's a reason to be glad we are in the situation we are in vs. what Georgia is going through).

Adios.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
The players didn't play their best, but regardless, this is now 3 different Meyer-led teams that have not only lost, but been pummeled, by Alabama. That falls on him.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive dive trey burton. How predictable.

that says it all right there.

adazio had a good game callin plays against a nobody. but when he tanks against bama he gets scared and reverts to the submarine play style divedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedive

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
that says it all right there.

adazio had a good game callin plays against a nobody. but when he tanks against bama he gets scared and reverts to the submarine play style divedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedivedive

The entire coaching staff, led by Meyer, needs to sit down and realize that they've been thoroughly outcoached twice in a row by Alabama, while the players have been physically beaten down by the Alabama players and looked like a JV team playing a varsity team.

Until Meyer and Addazio realize there's a problem, this will continue.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member

again i think you are missing the point. i do not blame the coaches for everything. please stop implying that i do. read my posts. coaches cant be responsible for every part of a players life. no one on here is coming close to even suggest such a thing. with that said coaches are responsible for putting the best players on the field, calling a good game, and getting a team mentally and physically ready to compete. that's theire jobs. pouncey cant snap period, moody is not the physical runner we hoped he would be and right now our line looks like a bunch of freshman. we are not getting our top play makers involved enough. our top play seems to be a dive dive dive this with a small running back who should be running more sweeps and screens. i do not want addazzio fired nor any other coach. i do addazzio is not a very good offensive coordinator and our stats so far prove me right. keeping a player in a game or position is in fact a coaching issue not a player issue.

The Zooker

VIP Member
And you can only blame execution so much. An offensive coordinator can call bubble screen right every single play. And if the offense executes that play every down then they will win a national title. The problem is that defenses pick up on your plan and make it damn near impossible for you to execute because they are exactly where they need to be for every play. They know what you are going to do as soon as you line up. You can't just come back and blame the offense for not executing. You have to give them a fighting chance to win the game.

LostaStep

Gator Fan
As a guy who played under Addazzio at UF, here's my take on this situation:

Addazzio was the Tight Ends coach for a reason when he came to UF. He's an inspirational, Rah-Rah type of guy. He is not an offensive genius. He isn't any kind of genius. He's not even at the average-intelligence level. He's a guy that gets the players fired up, period.

I agree that this loss was not 100% the coaches' fault. There was absolutely some poor execution by the players as well. Pouncey can't snap well. Brantley made bad throws. Players missed blocks.

With that said, coaching (especially on the offensive side) takes a large share of the blame in this game. Alabama definitely outcoached Florida in the past 2 games we've played them. It's obvious that our players aren't as prepared as Alabama's.

Alabama has big, strong RBs; they pound it on the ground in with 12 and 21 personnel formations (1RB/2TE and 2RB/1TE). Then, they throw play action passes when the defense stacks the box with 8 people instead of 7.

Florida has smaller, quick RBs that excel at running offtackle, wide, and zone cutbacks, but instead, we consistently run dives with no lead blocker. The option pitch would work more often if there was a threat from the quarterback running, but Brantley is frankly not fast enough to scare a defense into focusing on him vs. the pitch man.

Brantley is good at throwing mid to long range passes. It's easy to see when you watch him throw the ball, but we rarely put him in a position to do so.

Execution alone cannot make up for a lack of coaching and preparation. Boise State may not have the best players based on talent, but they get those boys ready to play, week in and week out, and they have generally shown an ability to play with bigger programs because of it. In Florida's case, the opposite also holds true...

The Zooker

VIP Member
Good to see a former player confirm what we've all been suspecting for over a year now. It's always baffled us fans as to why he is our offensive coordinator so it's a nice confirmation from the inside that we aren't just misguided armchair quarterbacks with hindsight knowledge.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
All this sounds so familiar.....
Some years back, same kind of noise through out the forums here and elsewhere.
You could go back and cut and paste some of the threads and just substitute Dan Mullen in the posts with Addazzio...

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
All this sounds so familiar.....
Some years back, same kind of noise through out the forums here and elsewhere.
You could go back and cut and paste some of the threads and just substitute Dan Mullen in the posts with Addazzio...

Mullen's offense showed it could produce and Mullen's playcalls were better. And Mullen was at least someone who wasn't as conservative as Meyer unlike the ultra-conservative Addazio, whose playcalls are predictable. Addazio's offense also looks almost perpetually out of sync and lost.

Dan Mullen is a much better offensive coordinator than Steve Addazio.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Some recent statements from Addazio:

"We’re not (predictable); that, we’re not,” he said. “We’re pretty diverse. We still maintain some option, we still maintain some spread, we still maintain and empty throw game. We’re very diverse."

"Absolutely not. Are you kidding me? ... Never even entered the realm of possibility.'' -- Addazio on any thoughts on moving Pouncey.

posted by @GatorZoneScott on Twitter.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=168261#ixzz11bC8NLGE

--------
There's no way anyone can seriously believe what he's saying. I believe there's a chance this coaching staff has become complacent and isn't the same as the staff from 2005-2008. Meyer's health situation and Mullen's departure has changed this staff incredibly.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Yeah, I lol'd when I read his quote on predictability. Kirby Smart and Nick Saban were literally signaling the play to their defenders before the each snap. Last season they didn't even have to do that because Hightower had it figured out all by himself and adjusted the defense accordingly. Addazio can use our athletic talent to win most games. But if he goes up against teams with good personnel that are well coached then he will lose. If we want to go 10-2 or 9-3 every year then Addazio is the man. But if we want to win titles then he has to step down.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
By no means was the intention of my post in support of Addazio's qualifications to be the OC. Merely making an observation that the same thing happened before.
That being said I would also like to add that when the doubt in Mullen reared it's head there were many that found the same kind of faults in Mullen as they do in Addazio
Here's some scuttlebutt I have heard....... is that at the top of the list to replace UM when he finally steps down is none other than his right hand man for many years and many campuses Addazzio. If that doesn't send parts of your anatomy into shock, then you have a very strong constitution.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If Addazio were the Head Coach now, he'd be close to getting fired...if he succeeds Meyer, it'll be Zook all over again. This brings me to a point that I've made elsewhere--in fact I'm simply going to repeat that post:

DRU2012 at 2:44 PM October 06, 2010

I don't understand it: The whole idea with this edition of the Gator Offense was to get the ball DOWNFIELD with our "pure pocket passer", John Brantley...instead, we've got him awkwardly running the option dive to our undersized backs--Addazio says it's "smashmouth football" that we're all about? Bullshit! What about all our playmakers? We're not even using half of 'em, and the rest are getting injured in their misuse.

Bottom Line: WHERE IS OUR HEAD COACH?
This is an Addazio offense we're watching, and it comes up WAY short. I cannot believe Urban Meyer finds any of this acceptable. At what point does he reassert control, take a closer, tougher hand in the moment-to-moment, day-to-day details of his football team once again?

Perhaps this is part of his "stepping back" for the sake of his health, in which case I am sorry but it just isn't enough, IT JUST ISN'T WORKING.

"Urban Meyer: We need you back! The Gators' future is in your hands!"

awebbf5

VIP Member
As a guy who played under Addazzio at UF, here's my take on this situation:

Addazzio was the Tight Ends coach for a reason when he came to UF. He's an inspirational, Rah-Rah type of guy. He is not an offensive genius. He isn't any kind of genius. He's not even at the average-intelligence level. He's a guy that gets the players fired up, period.

I agree that this loss was not 100% the coaches' fault. There was absolutely some poor execution by the players as well. Pouncey can't snap well. Brantley made bad throws. Players missed blocks.

With that said, coaching (especially on the offensive side) takes a large share of the blame in this game. Alabama definitely outcoached Florida in the past 2 games we've played them. It's obvious that our players aren't as prepared as Alabama's.

Alabama has big, strong RBs; they pound it on the ground in with 12 and 21 personnel formations (1RB/2TE and 2RB/1TE). Then, they throw play action passes when the defense stacks the box with 8 people instead of 7.

Florida has smaller, quick RBs that excel at running offtackle, wide, and zone cutbacks, but instead, we consistently run dives with no lead blocker. The option pitch would work more often if there was a threat from the quarterback running, but Brantley is frankly not fast enough to scare a defense into focusing on him vs. the pitch man.

Brantley is good at throwing mid to long range passes. It's easy to see when you watch him throw the ball, but we rarely put him in a position to do so.

Execution alone cannot make up for a lack of coaching and preparation. Boise State may not have the best players based on talent, but they get those boys ready to play, week in and week out, and they have generally shown an ability to play with bigger programs because of it. In Florida's case, the opposite also holds true...

Might we ask who you are if you played under addazio???????

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema