• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Gameday 11/01/14 (Sour) Cocktail Party

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
IMG_617849652169763.jpeg

Today is Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Will Muschamp is a dead man walking and is only one ugly loss away from being fired. Personally I think there is little he can do to save his job, even if he pulls off a miracle.

Treon Harris will make his long awaited first start. Kurt Roper spent two weeks crafting an Eli Manning-like game plan for Treon, so I expect the Gators to come out in the wishbone.

The seniors are amped up and ready to get one damn win against this bitter rival. It looks like they will be driving home empty handed. Sorry, guys.

Go Gators!

Let the drinking begin!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I'll put this up, with trepidation--and a certain sense of conflict within. What a sad day: For the first time in my Gator-life, there's a (albeit small, TINY) part of me that "wouldn't mind" a Gator loss here against the Gurley-less Bulldogs. In my view (and that of a number of others a whole lot closer to the program), we'd have a real chance of ridding ourselves of Will Muschamp now, CERTAINLY fully seal his fate regardless, if we lose again, especially if we were to do another full-on 2nd-half collapse. Now, I WON'T get into any more back-and-forth about what has to happen and why regarding our coaching situation, least of all here, but a big win on the wings of a suddenly exciting, efficient and well-functioning offense might well reignite the "maybe Muschamp stays"-discussion--and THAT, just reopening a shot at that "agenda", is dangerous, destructive even as "just talk". Hell, I'm afraid that any sort of WIN here could do that.
Aw, I can't root against our guys, but that's all just part of what makes this game all that much more difficult for me to get into. Sort of emblematic of the whole season, the worst in memory. As I've said before, even during the infamous 0-10-and-1 '79 season my sophomore year we had fun--there's a freedom in low expectations and nowhere-to-go-but-up--we knew coming-in Dickey had left the cupboard bare, and we also knew "Ol' Charlie Pell would get things straightened out": Recruiting was already looking up (yeah, I know, in those "bad old days" that turned out to be part of the problem--but we didn't, couldn't foresee all of that: That was "how things were done" up 'til then--and the NCAA really walloped Charlie AND us for stuff his mentor-in-the-hounds-tooth-hat had been doing for YEARS over in Tuscaloosa) and everyone just KNEW we'd be gettin' a whole lot better in a hurry after this. So we had fun.
No fun here. Failing that sudden-awakening (complete with a clean-uniformed Treon, and sticky-handed WRs running out crisp routes in an offense freed from Muschamp's meddling, etc., all against what has turned out to be a stingy Georgia D), only hope for a win is our so-talented Defense holds their efficient/explosive (even without Gurley--and normally I wanna beat a rival's best--no excuses for 'em, ya know?) offense down lower than our Muschamp-squeezes-our-OWN-balls offense can manage...Another plodding, mutually-inept stumble-fest out there that our D and special teams somehow pulls out?
I don't feel Treon's YET getting a fair shot that is gonna be all that fun to watch, or much of anything but the raw experience of being out there and leading his team. Not that THAT isn't something's gonna pay off eventually--if it doesn't wear him down, or worse, get him seriously hurt. Has to go through this process, I guess, given the situation: what comes out of this presumably will be a tough, experienced QB who knows the offense AND has the deepest respect and support of the guys around him. THEY won't forget this. Again, though, that amounts to rationalizing what is an otherwise frustrating-to-watch process.
Meanwhile, re the "bigger picture" I'm personally tired of looking at and seeing no change in, there's ALL our various inner-conflicts regarding not just this game, but this team, its future, and how we're supposed to feel about it all NOW. I doubt I'm alone in it mostly coming down to "what's good for us in the long run"-terms--NOT just if, when and how SOON we might, should and/or WILL get rid of this Head Coach, but how each, every and all of these points (wins, losses, performance, depth, morale and on and on) play into things like our recruiting class, what coach(es) we're interested in and if/when/how we can get him, how long it'll take to "get back"...
As I said up top, a whole LOT of "conflict" within. If someone else wants to get into the detailed "set-up" for this particular match-up, discuss the particulars of strategy and tactics etc. etc. etc., have at it...
I grant that I'm not really up to it here. Might find I'm "sucked into it" anyway, some good things happen early and almost involuntarily am back at it, getting into it all with you play-by-play. But for now, I go into these Saturdays, this of all Saturdays, inside a kind of self-protective shell--sort of "expecting the worst and trying not to FEEL it", at least not so closely, not with the sharp and painful immediacy that belies all that. It's that very reality, that "If I watch, I HURT", that is the "conflict" underlying all the rest--and yet I can't turn away.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS--Then again, maybe it's just a hangover. Gotta take that into account here: Halloween's a big deal here in Austin, was out last night of course, plus we've got the Grand Prix AND "FanFest" (a sort of annual post-ACL "Thankyou Austin music-lovers" weekend of live bands free all over downtown at the various parks and club-venues) happening today and tomorrow...fortunately (or UNfortunately?) there's the big weekly "Gator Watch Party" over at Champions downtown, right in the middle of where I'll wanna be later on anyway...Not so sure I should be "casting my shadow" on a bunch of otherwise ne'er-say-die Gator-fans who generally gather there, though--for my sake OR theirs. Might just stay here, at least for the 1st half, before heading out, wherever to do WHATever...)

Escambia94

Note: I merged my thread into this one.

Muschamp is a dead man walking. Look for him to look more dead when he causes the Gators to lose 52-3 or some crap like that.

Roper's reputation is in the toilet. If he puts together a conservative game plan, then write him off immediately.

Durkin seems to coach up a decent pass defense lately, but a crappy run defense. Guess what? UGA has a strong running offense. When Muschamp gets fired, no head coach is going to hire a crap defensive coordinator.

Coleman Hutzler better figure out special teams. Boy, we have some crappy coaches.

miltongator

Gator Fan
I understand where you're coming from. Realistically we have 2 chances of pulling an upset.....and I'm pretty sure I saw Slim headin' out of town (hopefully taking WM with him). The paper here had an interview with WM and he said that our best chance of winning was to run the ball. So, we are going to run, run, run. I am soooo tired of listening to this clueless dumb-ass that I could ALMOST root for another loss. Notice I can't root FOR UGA, but, against Mushie.

miltongator

Gator Fan

Muschamp is a dead man walking. Look for him to look more dead when he causes the Gators to lose 52-3 or some crap like that.

Roper's reputation is in the toilet. If he puts together a conservative game plan, then write him off immediately.

Durkin seems to coach up a decent pass defense lately, but a crappy run defense. Guess what? UGA has a strong running offense. When Muschamp gets fired, no head coach is going to hire a crap defensive coordinator.

Coleman Hutzler better figure out special teams. Boy, we have some crappy coaches.

I still say we need a package deal with Doc Holliday and his OC. Better gamble than WM was.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Well, maybe "Like" is inappropriate--but "Agree" doesn't begin to say how MUCH I "AGREE". Only part I wonder about is the degree to which Roper is responsible...My understanding is that he has been more and more at odds with his Head Coach--felt a certain loyalty and debt to him for bringing him in, jumping him up to this level, but has come to feel that impeded from fielding/running the offense he was promised full control over, not even allowed to switch to Treon in a timely manner, he's been set up to at least LOOK exactly as you describe.
All in all, though, a sadly accurate assessment of the mess on the sideline over there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I understand where you're coming from. Realistically we have 2 chances of pulling an upset.....and I'm pretty sure I saw Slim headin' out of town (hopefully taking WM with him). The paper here had an interview with WM and he said that our best chance of winning was to run the ball. So, we are going to run, run, run. I am soooo tired of listening to this clueless dumb-ass that I could ALMOST root for another loss. Notice I can't root FOR UGA, but, against Mushie.
Oh. No.
(Hadn't read or heard that...Yeah, run run run, that's a big new idea ya got there, Will. Turn things around for SURE. That IS just more "dumb-ass sh*t", you're right)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Believe me, I TRIED to find the few "good" (well, maybe "possibly pay off for us later") things buried in the gathering pile of crap I talk about above in my "game intro", such as it is. There IS talent on BOTH sides of the ball (that's what makes the coaching stinkarama all the MORE unforgivable), and something good, even great could be salvaged in pretty short order by the right Coach and his staff. Strength and toughness are forged in heat and pressure.
Yeah, I know--"Sounds good, but..." True, though--with that big "IF": "...the right Coach and his staff..."

Escambia94

More rumor control:
  • Roper is not being handcuffed on offense. He really sucks this bad and deserves to get fired alongside Muschamp.
  • There is a mix of opinions about what the Gators mean by focusing on the run today. Knowing Muschamp and Roper, this means putting Treon Harris in a wishbone offense in his first start... But that would be sour speculation on my part, not rumor.

miltongator

Gator Fan
We just need to go to Marshall and take the whole damn staff to Gainesville. Anything would be better than what we have now. I think we would be competitive almost immediately.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, as I say, I will not get into the picky details of who's most at fault, who deserves the lion's share of blame for rampant failures and continued, blind foolishness (pretty sure that unless Roper were given the unlikely and dubious responsibility of "interim Head Coach" to finish the year, sink or swim, we'll know for sure--and the "next guy" will clean house pretty thoroughly I think and bring in his own people anyway)--just wanna see 'em gone and a new staff in and started on whatever the future can be.
Here we go...and here's Muschamp putting on the best face he can, I guess. Only now I see him as full of sh*t. Funny how that works: "The Emporer has no clothes!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Had we not stunk so badly at all the key moments. WE might have been "the other 5-and-1 team in the SEC East" and this coulda been "the meeting of the two great freshman-QBs"--again, their mediocre coach made the move when he had to, while our crappy one didn't when it was obvious he should.

Escambia94

We just need to go to Marshall and take the whole damn staff to Gainesville. Anything would be better than what we have now. I think we would be competitive almost immediately.

I have another thread where I list all the potential coaches and acquisition cost. Holliday would be a bargain at $2M base, and we could increase assistant coach salary for former Gator co-DC Chuck Heater and up-and-coming OC Bill Legg.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One more thing: Want so badly for Treon to do well. He's been given no chance to excell in this offense, in the situations he was inserted into so far, EXCEPT in that 1st game, when he did TWICE what we haven't seen a Gator QB do in literally YEARS (oh yeah--the years since Muschamp got here): Throw the long ball, accurately over the top.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema