• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 8: #22 Florida Gators vs #14 Missouri Tigers

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Well since UGA and S Carolina lost maybe their head coaches are available. Or maybe we end up with another Charlie Weis.
If you take the "coaching hierarchy" out of the equation, where does Muschamps and Peases influences lie? Now which one needs a major facelift?

Al I'm saying is try a scalpel before the sledgehammer.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
i really can't see A&M doing anything after this year. They have already allowed 150+ yards rushing with 4 minutes left in the 2nd Quarter.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not high on anyone, but the obvious problem lies with our Offense, not Defense. Brent Pease should have been gone last season, it's obvious what side of the ball is suffering. Muschamp is technically the head coach but there are way too many things to consider than just firing someone while emotional following a bad loss.

overkill cannot be corrected, underkill can

If replacing the OC midseason does not help then fire the head coach at the end of the season.
I could put a number of your "final" posts together here and have a pretty thorough overview of how Gator fans (correctly) read this state-of-affairs--AND an acceptably complete version of how I feel about it, too.
These two cover most of it: Leaving aside the why-do-its and the what'll-hopefully-happen-thens, it seems straightforward enough..."Fire Pease and bring in someone young & firey with an offensive philosophy all his own--Necessarilly (mostly) this Head Coach's decision, and if he doesn't get it right on the THIRD try, well, maybe it ISN'T just the OC after all, sssoooo...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
i think any Gator would

I'd take back Spurrier
We AREN'T getting Spurrier back (lol)--and going after some other "Big Name Guy" would be a mistake (a la Weis) anyhow...I think we may have been on the right track going after someone more obscure when we hired Pease, but I suspect we were more "chasing a PROGRAM'S success" there, in that case mistakenly confusing the two--easy to do in this case, perhaps: I did it too, and I wasn't alone--altho' maybe it IS the sign of a "head-in-the-sand" lack of consistent depth of thought and effort if this turns out to be a repeated problem in evaluating the Head Coach's counterpart on offense by the Head Coach HIMSELF--one MORE reason it could get him fired, and rightfully so, if he DOESN'T get it right THIS time.
OK, I know I said I'd lay off participation here for a couple of days, but I felt compelled to respond to these comments, which seemed representative of a general sentiment that is firming up here at GE (and, I suspect, at large in Gator Nation...I sure HOPE so, 'cause maybe it'll actually become all the harder to ignore by the staff, boosters, etc.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
add LSU to the list if things hold up. Bama will be the only one untouched after this weekend.

just goes to show you that you can be beat any given game in the SEC.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
As much as I would like to feel better knowing Florida lost the same day as UGA, USC, and LSU, I do not. I have said for years on this forum that it is "okay" to lose (to better teams), but it is never okay to be losers. There are a few teams playing with depleted lineups that field better teams than Florida. I am all out of excuses. Fuck this lame offense. The Gators have a bye next week, and it may be the only week in a month without a loss. Blah, blah, blah injuries, injuries, injuries. Whatever.

Escambia I agree, this just feels like a loosing culture and not situational.

WM has got to get it together. UGA must go down. If not he may be out of a job at the end of the year or the end of next year.

Escambia94

Escambia I agree, this just feels like a loosing culture and not situational.

WM has got to get it together. UGA must go down. If not he may be out of a job at the end of the year or the end of next year.
He may still get the Get Out of Jail Free Card with the injuries, but he needs to show everyone that he is not breeding a culture of losing. It starts in practice. What the heck are they doing to the players in practice that causes so many injuries? From there it is about 1st quarter execution. What the heck are the coaches not doing in the first quarter that other teams do with lower-ranked athletes and lesser paid position coaches? What the heck are the players thinking with the buzzkill penalties? (In my opinion, Cody Riggs' targeting ejection penalty was too close to throw a kid out of the game for.) If the offensive line is putting our QB at risk and killing our running game, why are the OC, OL coach, WR coach, and QB coach not coming up with a tweak to protect the QB within the current system? Come on! (Move the pocket, move the tight end from the strong side to the weak side, stick a bigger WR into the slot to chip the opposing DE, stop running the slow-evolving counter plays, run more zone-read without the counter, etc).

Escambia94

I am getting fed up with these kind of speeches from Will Muschamp: http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2013/1...-florida-gators-not-a-very-good-football-team

"(We're) just not a very good football team. It falls on my shoulders."
True. Now do something about it!

"We really struggle to do anything we try to do"
You think? Now do something about it, Coach!

What I mean by "something" is "something different". How does any sane coach on earth think it is okay to run the same five plays without ever adjusting mid-game? The last coaching staff that was this stubborn is gone--the 2010 coaching staff that included Urban Meyer, the Dazzler, and a first-time head defensive coordinator. That 2010 team ended 8-4 (4-4 SEC) and was lucky to be invited to the Outback Bowl.

Seriously, if I had to work on a few things in the bye week, here is what I would recommend to the Gator coaching staff:
  • Protect the QB. Add TEs, swap the guards, swap the tackles, stop pulling guards and just block straight ahead, move the pocket, slide the entire offensive line to the right and let the QB outrun the DE pursuit to his strong side.
  • Burn the redshirts and promote the 2nd and 3rd team. The team is depleted by injury. The best catch of the day yesterday was from walk-on WR Mark Herndon. Yes. A walk-on had a better catch than the highly touted 5-star WR Demarcus Robinson, who short-armed a catch to avoid contact and turned the ball over.
  • Fix the play calling. I am not a coach, but whatever "adjustments" that are going on look the same to me. If they look the same to me, then they must look the same to the professional coaches that are looking at the same thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema