• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 7: #17 Florida Gators vs #10 LSU Tigers

miltongator

Gator Fan
I will be okay if the Gators smash Mizzou. They kept LSU under 20 points, so there is hope. The offense looked better with designed roll-outs and the offensive line moving laterally. Do more of that and the offense should thrive within the Pease constraint.
Love those rose colored glasses you must be using. Though I can appreciate your optimism, I don't share it. I wish I could say that the O is moving in the right direction, but I just don't see it. I may have been spoiled by the offenses of yore, but damn they were fun to watch. Not so anymore.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Love those rose colored glasses you must be using. Though I can appreciate your optimism, I don't share it. I wish I could say that the O is moving in the right direction, but I just don't see it. I may have been spoiled by the offenses of yore, but damn they were fun to watch. Not so anymore.
I somewhat agree that the offense is not always fun to watch. In the second half, we finally switched up the offensive formations, and Murphy was moving the offense. The problem is that LSU's defense pulled a Florida on us and clamped down hard while getting to the QB on just about every snap. I actually believe Murphy when he said in post game that he will get rid of the ball more quickly. In order for him to do that, he needs Burton and Robinson to run clean routes like Patton, and he needs one more second of blocking so he can chuck it deep to Dunbar. Burton and Robinson need to get their heads turned around or take a peek at Murphy about two seconds sooner, regardless of the play. When they see Murphy's pocket collapsing they need to cut the route or go to option 2 in the route tree--that is the Pease offense (and Spurrier's). Several quick passes hit the turf because the only receiver running routes properly, Patton, was getting double covered. Murphy literally hit Burton and Robinson in the numbers, in the back, because neither turned around to see the ball. In summary, the pieces are there. The second half offense shows that Pease can adjust the offense to what could be fun to watch, but only if the receivers turn their heads earlier.

miltongator

Gator Fan
He was classy in the post-game. He refused to blame his line or backs, as a matter of fact, he said they were doing a good job. He said it was all on himself. Makes you want to root for him to do well. All he needs is a little more blocking help.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He was classy in the post-game. He refused to blame his line or backs, as a matter of fact, he said they were doing a good job. He said it was all on himself. Makes you want to root for him to do well. All he needs is a little more blocking help.
Yes--For the first time in several seasons, it ISN'T the QB that is at the heart of the problem. In fact, I now wonder the degree to which the blame rested even more on the people designing the offense the last few seasons than the (albeit until Murphy at best "disappointingly mediocre") players we had at that position, after all. That cluster-f*ck that was our offense yesterday kept almost starting to actually work every time Tyler had to wing it in the face of the defense blowing up our SO predictable and repetitive play sequences run out of vanilla formations (Message to Pease/Muschamp: "Time to open up the playbook--if you HAVE one!"...and Tyler did--he kept at it, never hesitating OR panicking, bless the kid for tryin'! Seems there were a number of those moments in the 2nd half when I was just about to get excited, but was left groaning, "Can't we give him one more second?!!" I don't think even the "short at WR" complaint is necessarily that valid anymore--I mean, yeah, we are (for a top program out of Fla., it's ridiculous how little speed and skill we have at ALL the "playmaker" positions), but we've got enough talent on the field right now to be hittin' some long TDs every week, if only the OC, etc. got his/their collective heads out of their asses.
I'm sorry, but I guess every discussion of our offense now leads quickly back to these larger questions of what's fundamentally wrong with us--and something is, that much is certain. In the final analysis, it should be Muschamp who is squarely, and by now I feel PUBLICLY, facing this question in "an open and classy manner". F*CK the circle-the-wagons, "no comment" mentality that has come to stubbornly pervade this regime's whole attitude and all dealings with what is not just "the media's" but the FAN'S frustrated calls for some explanation, even more importantly some REACTION to what is the worst offense we've had here since the 0-10-and-1 days of 1979 (and even then we had Cris Collinsworth, "the Cadillac", to give us some thrills here and there,). It is no small thing when we're not just failing-when-it-counts, but have to admit, "I HATE watching this team when it has the ball!".

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Here are a few things wrong on offense that are not Pease's fault: Murphy getting hit on every down that DJ Humphries chooses not to block or even chip, the ball hitting Burton and Robinson in the back when they do not turn around, giving the opposing defense our snap count by using the left guard to signal the snap, penalties by the o-line, and finally, Brown/Jones being slow to hit the hole (Taylor got 5.2 ypc by hitting the hole quickly). We should be fine if Burton and Robinson work with Murphy this week, Taylor gets more of Jones' carries, and if Humphries works on technique (or the Gators switch to a moving/veer o-line).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here are a few things wrong on offense that are not Pease's fault: Murphy getting hit on every down that DJ Humphries chooses not to block or even chip, the ball hitting Burton and Robinson in the back when they do not turn around, giving the opposing defense our snap count by using the left guard to signal the snap, penalties by the o-line, and finally, Brown/Jones being slow to hit the hole (Taylor got 5.2 ypc by hitting the hole quickly). We should be fine if Burton and Robinson work with Murphy this week, Taylor gets more of Jones' carries, and if Humphries works on technique (or the Gators switch to a moving/veer o-line).
OK--I am with you on all of this, and would take it maybe even one step further (a road you started down I think there at the end): Let Murphy run a kind of hybrid BETWEEN the "power-run/pass-to-run" we have been playing, some of that "moving/veer", AND some of the "old" Meyer-offense Tyler was originally inspired to walk-on at UF for, and I think a balanced, flexibly-called result (adapted on-the-fly according to what works in-game) may get just the kind of results we're looking for. Murphy will be more comfortable and accurate in such a "mix", I think (he can stand in the pocket, if asked to do so--but he's generally more accurate when he moves in planned roll-outs, etc.)--and it plays to our various strengths, even as it "mixes things up" and makes us MUCH less predictable in how we look, call and run our offense.
As for the rest, well, Humphries was a walking DISASTER-area last Sat., just a single-handed walking MESS, finding multiple ways to F-up, sometimes on the same AND consecutive plays! He's talented, but he either gets back to fundamentals and moves on to better things, or he finds himself down the depth chart. Burton himself did some things we just don't expect from him at this point--and we can only hope it WAS "crossed-lines-of-communication", or whatever, and that he's back to form AND back in-sync with his QB from here on out. Brown and Jones are/were similar kinds-of-runners, a nice tandem you could run together OR to spell each other; when Jones was getting his timing and "wind" back after that whole virus-set-back pre- and start-of-season, Brown had begun to show he wasn't far behind him even at Jones' best. Now he's our "bread'n'butter" back, and Taylor gets the opportunity I thought he deserved before now--and certainly not like this, but here's how it is and I have a feeling it could serve us well, in the long run.
Note something else here: Everything I say, while being true and applicable to dealing with this season's immediate problems and getting back to winning here and now, is also pretty well the blueprint for beginning to develop NEXT season's line-up, style--and building the team-to-come on offense. No surprise, to me this last is every bit as important a consideration, maybe even MORE so. We are very near HAVING the "defense of our dreams" (may even have it already, with the experience and depth we have now that will continue to grow and improve, plus the guys we have coming back now from injury next year)--but we have a whole LOT of work to do elsewhere--Special Teams AND offense...now, ST is more a combination of "keep working hard, and find a FG-KICKER", where offense, as I think we're beginning to find a consensus on, while still requiring some "moving parts" (as I say, another discussion altogether--and one I'm hoping we'll NOT have to get into with the same groaning angst after NEXT Feb's NSD), is much more a matter of philosophy--as in strategy and tactics--than anything else (and in my opinion, of course, that in turn means either Pease finally begins to show he's got more than he's been allowed to actually show and do out there up 'til now, or we get ourselves someone who DOES, finally).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema