• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 7: #17 Florida Gators vs #10 LSU Tigers

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The #17 Gators and the SEC's best defense head into Death Valley as the 7-point underdog against #10 Bengal Tigers' best SEC offense. This will be an interesting matchup that will probably be determined in the secondary. If Roberson, Purifoy, Watkins, Hargreaves, and Riggs can enforce the Gators No Fly Zone and Jones, Brown and maybe Taylor get their running game going against the LSU big boys, then we should see an upset. Prior to this game, the best offense the Gators saw was Miami, which shredded the Gators in the first half. If the Gator offense can grind it out in the first half, then they have a chance by avoiding a shootout. I do not see the Gators winning a shootout against LSU, Mizzou or UGA. This game will give us a preview of potential shootout matches with SEC East foes Mizzou and UGA, and will tell us how the good the defense really is. Logic says LSU wins at home 35-10, but I will call for the upset 21-17.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Honestly I'm a little worried about this game though UGA did beat them. Then again it was in Athens not Baton Rouge. OH I hope Murphy is ready. Not worry their offense and worry about the Gators O. I think it will be a close game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We'd all be fools or dreamers NOT to be at LEAST a little "worried" for this one (and yeah, even with great play from back-ups stepping up, and what is still turning out to be maybe the best D in the SEC, this LSU offense is one that will tend to expose ANY weakness...).
On another note, I hear CBS has picked up the 'Bama game for their "SEC Game-of-the-Week" (as I say, that's what I'm hearing here)...Any word out there as to if this is accurate, and where we'll find our game otherwise? (CAN'T imagine it not being picked up by one of the cable sports networks at the national level--too big a game, 2 ranked teams in the top conference, and in that "college pageantry"-atmosphere that they love to show and talk about...).

Escambia94

I am definitely worried about this game more than UGA. If we had to lose a game, it might as well be against an SEC West opponent. However, if we pull off the upset, then we are more than ready to take down Mizzou and UGA. If we struggle against LSU, then you can bet we will struggle against FSU as well, since they are built somewhat similarly (although FSU should have a more athletic defense than LSU at the moment).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
At least Murphy had two and a half games to get ready including one on the road (I know it was only Kentucky but still).

Escambia94

Murphy has the opportunity to pull a Chris Leak and surprise everyone in Death Valley. I have not been this impressed with a passer like this since Leak, so it would be fitting.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Murphy has the opportunity to pull a Chris Leak and surprise everyone in Death Valley. I have not been this impressed with a passer like this since Leak, so it would be fitting.
Murphys release reminds me of leak.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
On another note: I know we're solid at RB, despite an off week all around by both our "one-two punch" and the O-line that normally sets things up for them (and we KNOW that was probably the real factor in how Arkansas was able to stuff the running game, even if they WERE keying on it)--but why do y'all think the staff, top down, have been so quick to drop Taylor out of the mix? Sure, Muschamp says he's "not picking up the little things yet" in practice--but I'm told by people on-hand at those practices that he shows all kinds of signs of the talent-intangibles that make a kid like that a quick-rising star when given chances on gameday. Apparently, for eg., in addition to being every bit as powerful and shifty as advertised, he's got a couple of extra gears--one that kicks in above what LOOKS like his fastest, a kind of "glide-plus", then another that just makes 1st-string defenders look bad, foolish even, as they come up grasping air, or (as one witness put it), " a puff of smoke in the shape of the kid, where he was supposed to have been!" He's something special, and I'm unclear on why we aren't getting him some on-field time (unless it's REALLY 'cause they wanna keep the red shirt on him, if possible).

Escambia94

The lack of Taylor confuses me. They have to be keeping Jones and Brown to make them find a niche before the big SEC gauntlet that starts tomorrow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The impression given by the media-at-large is that this game, while being built up somewhat as a "big match-up in the SEC and the top 25", and worth watching for that reason, is really more or less an LSU showcase against a "worthy victim": There's little sense that our Reptiles will even be that close at the end, though we may be able to put up a good fight and an entertaining game for the first 3-plus quarters or so. All of which is MORE than fine with us, 'cause this one is at BEST (from the Tigers' POV) basically "the immovable force" (ie. LSU offense) "meeting the immovable object" (ie. Gator D)--and I think these La. boys truly believe their own press, at their peril.
I believe our defense is beginning to reach it's eventual high-yield/smoothly functioning plateau, one that will make it practically impossible to score on by late season. Yes, we're missing a couple of what were our key guys coming in--but we're getting back most of the rest, and the young replacements (this squad has MAD depth) are stepping in, stepping up, and coming on. If our offense can take another step forward in the passing game with Tyler Murphy (and if Pease will just LET him do so), while the running game returns to what's become its customary reliability and efficiency, it'll be us who wears THEM down--and pulls away in the 4th. I'm not promising such a victory, but I believe it's in us, the tools and attitude are there, and the fact that no one but us, quietly and with a kind of grouchy determination, really thinks that's what we can and will do, bodes well for such an outcome.
Nonetheless, I'm sweating this one out more than ever already.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS Now comes word that CBS has changed its mind, opened up "choice of SEC game-of-the-week" to regional flagship-stations--and for the SE and SW regions at least that will mean "UF at LSU @ 3:30pm" on the local CBS channel for most of us in the "sunbelt"...Thank GOD for all those Tiger-alums in Houston, etc.!)

awebbf5

VIP Member
[q"DRU2012, post: 71608, member: 2084"]On another note: I know we're solid at RB, despite an off week all around by both our "one-two punch" and the O-line that normally sets things up for them (and we KNOW that was probably the real factor in how Arkansas was able to stuff the running game, even if they WERE keying on it)--but why do y'all think the staff, top down, have been so quick to drop Taylor out of the mix? Sure, Muschamp says he's "not picking up the little things yet" in practice--but I'm told by people on-hand at those practices that he shows all kinds of signs of the talent-intangibles that make a kid like that a quick-rising star when given chances on gameday. Apparently, for eg., in addition to being every bit as powerful and shifty as advertised, he's got a couple of extra gears--one that kicks in above what LOOKS like his fastest, a kind of "glide-plus", then another that just makes 1st-string defenders look bad, foolish even, as they come up grasping air, or (as one witness put it), " a puff of smoke in the shape of the kid, where he was supposed to have been!" He's something special, and I'm unclear on why we aren't getting him some on-field time (unless it's REALLY 'cause they wanna keep the red shirt on him, if possible).[/quote]
I didnt know they were going to redshirt him. I have heard his handle of the rock is one big reason he hasn't been seeing the field. Plus you have to think we have Jones , brown , and showers running a lot, so if one goes down keep him healthy in case we need to plug him in for one of them. Everyone knows I have been a mack brown supporter since he got there and he has patiently waited and has shined along with Jones , so really we haven't needed Taylor so far.

awebbf5

VIP Member
[qhope=DRU2012, post: 71616, member: 2084"](PS Now comes word that CBS has changed its mind, opened up "choice of SEC game-of-the-week" to regional flagship-stations--and for the SE and SW regions at least that will mean "UF at LSU @ 3:30pm" on the local CBS channel for most of us in the "sunbelt"...Thank GOD for all those Tiger-alums in Houston, etc.!)[/quote]
I hope i can pick it up in eastern Kentucky.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
(PS Now comes word that CBS has changed its mind, opened up "choice of SEC game-of-the-week" to regional flagship-stations--and for the SE and SW regions at least that will mean "UF at LSU @ 3:30pm" on the local CBS channel for most of us in the "sunbelt"...Thank GOD for all those Tiger-alums in Houston, etc.!)
I get to watch!! huzzah! Of course, I have to PVR it, but still!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, since it IS 6am (Central), let me be the apparent first in with my game day analysis, far as it goes:
Too many unknowns here for me to make an actual prediction as to score, or even outcome (OK--I'm superstitious AND chickensh*t, fine), but if we can rise to the occasion and avoid the kinds of "beat-ourselves"-mistakes that have marked our coupla losses in high-emotion games the last season-and-a-third (I don't count that Sugar Bowl let-down/non-appearance), we'll not only win, but serve notice to everyone that "Here we come: This team is already coming into its own and will only get better and better this year, and seasons ahead". That's what's on the line for us here. No pressure or anything...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema