• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 7: #17 Florida Gators vs #10 LSU Tigers

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
One last note. How ironic that today LSU will celebrate the 10th anniversary of their national championship on the exact 10th anniversary of the day Florida handed them their only loss of the season, a 19-7 defensive beatdown highlighted by brilliant play from current Gator graduate assistant coach Chris Leak. The defensive coordinator that failed to shut down Leak? Will Muschamp!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well that's just SO full of twisted irony I don't know what to make of it. (Did anyone in their program even look back at the corresponding dates and even consider maybe making it another Saturday? I mean, unless this were their Homecoming game or something, you have to wonder...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I meant what I said earlier this morn regarding this game (bottom of pg 1, above)--This IS a turning-point game for us, I think, and maybe much more than for just this season. Trouble is, and why it's hard to know exactly what to expect, is that the last couple of such "tests" we've not simply lost--we've handed the game to the other team and managed to make them look like world-beaters in doing it. They springboard to "over-rated" status while we return to "footnote land", where the Haters have been so gleefully quick to relegate us. The winner of this game will, at the very least, have more or less redeemed themselves somewhat for their earlier loss and reinvigorated their season. In our case especially it is crucial, as we start that buzzsaw "gauntlet" the rest of our SEC schedule amounts to.

--There's a reason I'm gonna talk about an earlier SEC game here for a moment--bare with me:
Meanwhile, by the time most of ya read this (judging by the screaming QUIET here a little before 2:30 pm E), and tho' UGA's comin' back (oops--HAS "come back") in the 2nd half of the one I'm gonna talk about, it doesn't change the basic point I'm trying to make. The real eye-opener so far has been in that Mizzou/UGA game: I already thought our over-the-border rivals were VERY beatable this season, even before all the injuries, and that is a contributing factor today for them (and for the foreseeable), BUT: These Tigers do have a strangely effective offense. I say "strangely" 'cause it doesn't LOOK that slick or fast as they're running these plays from the snap (they seem slow to me), but in the first half at least were beating that Bulldog D almost every time it mattered. That one may well be a tougher match-up for us than the "Cocktail Party", the way it looks. 'Course, the Tiger offense we face today is like Mizzou on steroids and a notch or two faster; We beat this team and I'll be a lot more comfortable going into every game until the last one on the schedule...
It isn't EITHER defense that gets it done for these two teams, in fact it'll be what gets Missouri beat in this one, if that's what happens. We know all about the Bulldogs' losses to injury, much publicized on offense but maybe more damaging to their D, which they can even less afford; Mizzou, though it has some stars on the other side of the ball who are getting it done today, are clearly a "we can outscore you" kind of team. So, way I'm starting to see it, we'll be playing most of our remaining SEC schedule against squads whose underlying approach is some mix/variation on just that--shoot for what, maybe 24pts against our tough D, and figure that'll exert enough pressure on our offense that it beats itself? A fair analysis/strategy, but one thing has changed: Tyler Murphy now at QB.
Today is the first, and probably the toughest, of those teams, and if it's even close it'll be a blueprint for the rest. I think we'll need 'bout 27 pts then today--and fewer than that to beat the rest, if we do.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Yikes! Do I just DELETE all-of-the-above? The Mizzou QB just got driven into the ground for a "right shoulder strain", out for the rest of this one, plus? That could make a big diff down the road, obviously (but if y'all are watching this one, Tigers just came up with a double-pass long to the endzone...and the extra pt is wide right, so UGA is still 8pts behind...Now these teams are BOTH lookin' like Gator bait, frankly.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lessons abound today 'bout "taking your foot off the gas" too early--and why it's OK to "run it up", espec in college.
Maybe not sporting, but...Who among us, btw, wouldn't mind HAVING that cause for debate again from time to time regarding our Gator offense?!! Even our seeming (to those seeing it on Sportscenter) lopsided finals the last couple of years weren't really laughers. I can't remember the last time we were "havin' a party" in the 3rd qrtr, not in a "big game", for sure.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, yeah, I'll take the win first and all--I'm just sayin'. Mmmm, am I having an argument w/myself? See, I was at ACL with friends, then went out drinking downtown after, and, well, ok, maybe I started a little earlier "gettn ready" for this one as a result, but I AM pacing myself, I swear. Thought I was. OK--I'm gonna go arrange food NOW.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well its time for kickoff, honestly I feel were going to win this game, if we lose it will be cause of our kicking game. Go Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well its time for kickoff, honestly I feel were going to win this game, if we lose it will be cause of our kicking game. Go Gators!
God, I hope u r rite!
Now that we're into this one, I don't know what to think or feel. I'm so tight for this one--and like me, so the team seems tight starting out slow here too...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't understand how or why our special teams have deterioorated so much, so fast, just since last season--OK, there's the kicker-problem, but I'm talkin' 'bout all the rest: We don't put any pressure on the punter (doesn't even look like it's part of the plan), nor is there any real threat back there for the return (tho' I AM ok w/Purifoy NOT being back there now!).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do like what I'm seeing from this offense...mixing it up well--YIKES! Near disaster there from miscommunication!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok...as I was saying (lol),,,don't look now, but we are STARTING THE GAME WITH A SUSTAINED DRIVE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
NICE play by Murphy--but he misses chance at long one to Burton 'cause of pressure!

awebbf5

VIP Member
Lol Velez , sounds like a soccer player name, my punch line to the soccer reference last week, and also probably a failed attempt at comedy, but were WINNING and looking solid lol.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With our kicking game, I don't get that 3rd-down play...Now, maybe this NEW kid will be the answer when we need it, but that 3rd and 3 call only made sense if you WERE going for it on 4th. Oh well, this IS Chomp's style, we're learning, right?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lol Velez , sounds like a soccer player name, my punch line to the soccer reference last week, and also probably a failed attempt at comedy, but were WINNING and looking solid lol.
(laughing) Oh yeah! Let's get him some G-ville advertisers' patches to wear all over his top.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aw hell--now they're getting beat AND giving them stupid extra yards! And it's Cummings, the big mouth who I kept wishing would SHUT it all week...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema