• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 12: NR Florida Gators vs #11 South Carolina Gamecocks

miltongator

Gator Fan
Too bad they weren't smart enough to give this kid a shot earlier. If he had a game or two under his belt at this point I would feel much better about it. Whatever happens, I choose to look at it as an attempt to "right the ship". For that, I will be hopeful and grateful. Now, if they just allow him to play instead of being put in to hand the ball off. We shall see.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
And here is Skyler

Mornhinweg_zps35da5d64.jpg

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I wish Skyler Mornhinweg all the best in his first start, on the road, in a hostile environment (yes, the Cock Pit has one of the best home field advantages in football as of late), against Gator legend Steve Spurrier.

Let us also take time out again to recognize Tyler Murphy for his unwavering dedication to the team through all these years. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK I'm more nervous since they're more than likely starting their THIRD STRING QB. Anybody else nervous if that happens?
@Ga8or22, @miltongator,
Remember who MADE him "3rd-string"...Pease's judgment, generally and specifically, is certainly open to question and criticism...
As I note above, the reason I'VE been calling for this very change for sometime is two-fold: It began from a "prep for next season" POV, as in, "Let's get a good look at this kid and see what he's got before Grier even gets here..." (now THAT one, Grier, may really be "something very special"--but they'll almost certainly wanna red-shirt him if they possibly can) "...and meanwhile he (Mornigweg) gets a 1/2-season of real-world work in the SEC".
Then, another reason started to surface: By a number of accounts he began to master the playbook and really came-on in practice lately, by those accounts calling audibles and hitting his "3rd-reads" with laser-shots in-stride, pickin' apart our still-talented and normally stifling defense when both were allowed to "cut loose" in scrimmage. I talk about this elsewhere, giving this very change as a reason for my seeing a "ray-of-hope" possibly offsetting my complete pessimism regarding this game, should the kid perform well and enliven the whole team accordingly--these are young (barely) "men", after all, they play as much on emotion as conditioning and discipline, after all, so such turn-arounds can and do happen. Again, though, in one more example of complete and stubborn inflexibility, and inability to make any call-for-change, it only happened 'cause Murphy is just too banged up to go on--go on sinking back to his previous well-worn mediocre level-of-play that kept him at "Senior Walk-On who ran the scout-team offense", after all...As E- notes, it was and is a "valiant effort", he played "out-of-his-mind"--literally, probably--that first week or two--but that should never BEEN anything but a "bridge" 'til Mornigweg was "ready", ready to hold his own and not be "ruined" by being overwhelmingly "NOT ready" in a game where Spurrier will certainly "send his dogs" after the young first-time-starter...If Skylar can keep his head, tho', he'll have a few chances early to not merely weather this onslaught but take advantage of it--and given a couple of early long-gainers/TD-passes, well, who knows?
Anyway, it's a reason for me to now watch at least the the first quarter or so with interest. We'll know where it's likely headed by then, I figure. It could still get ugly, change nothing. Yeah, OKAY, I'm just not very good at this "optimism" thing--'specially in a season like this one, with every other aspect/sign "headed south" for our Gators of late.
Been sittin' in bed (not my own--that's a plus) drinkin' cognac and coffee (and soon "late breakfast" from the sounds I'm hearing down below--I'm not even in Texas this weekend--in Manhattan of all places, big adult amusement park that it is), so all-in-all, things could be worse...That's as close to "positive, up beat" as I've got--not bad, 'til I look up and remember I've got the Ivy League game on, rather than OSU or anything else that either reminds me of all the schools with something still to play for, or worse, that have some connect, current or former, direct or not, with us. So it goes, in a f*cked season, with a STUCK AD holding onto a STUBBORN Head Coach clutching a FLOUNDERING OC for all each is worth--and all of us in free-fall together, talking about "maybe next year"...I HATE IT!!!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am 1000% confident that I am too drunk already to read all that. Go Gators! Beat those Cocks!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Short version: Just got up. Cognac in my coffee--my "new friend" has the right idea even if she doesn't have any idea why (I'm in NYC--and what the hell do they know 'bout college football in Manhattan, anyway???).
Hope Mornigweg can strike early into SS's no doubt hard-rush-to-fluster-the-kid, maybe turn this thing into a bit of a surprise after all--"surprise" being we are even IN it by the half...
Aw shoot, FSU/Syracuse is on here--and the Moles have scored 2 long TDs just in the time it's taken me to get my coffee'n'cognac right & begin to flip thru' The Voice--Really don't know how much of our game I'll watch, unless Mornigweg DOES "light it up" early...too much other actually fun stuff to do here, and only here for the weekend--she wants to take me out shopping for new threads (ANOTHER TD, OK, this has gotta GO--Oh, here's the Texas/OSU game on network TV...Normally not even my 2nd choice, but not so much SEC on up here, I notice--and by now that's not something I'm missin', particularly--BAD sad, right?), NOT something I normally am lookin' to do on a Fall Sat., but she's a model (knows something about lookin' good--'bout clothes, too, ha ha ha) and I figure 60-40 BEST this game could still go WAY south in a hurry, Mornigweg or no. When in Rome... ("...throw another coach on the fire"???)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
How does FSU grab that kind of offense while on probation, while we can't even manage crackin' the "Top 100 Offenses" with no restrictions and the superior facilities, etc.??? It's a failure on EVERY level, face it: Recruiting, scheme AND coaching. FUCK IT!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In fact--and after this, I promise to cool it, shut up even--but in final, honest response to this whole "love my team" (and I DO), look for the positives (and I DID), thing that I really did give a shot at tryin' to be a part of, I just gotta say "FUCK IT!" to that too...
I mean, WTF, my bro's??? We just shouldn't be this bad in the first OR last place--and as for the injuries, which yes, set us back and have had their inevitable (enormous) impact, our 2nd string should STILL have been enough for a better showing in most cases than has been the case--there are other things, OTHER "failures" going on there, as we've discussed.
ANYWAY, how DID all those injuries just "happen" to us in the first place?!! We were already getting more than our share of season-ending ACLs and the like the last couple/few years, since Muschamp arrived: THIS season's "rash", bloody AFFLICTION of such serious ones for so many (10!!!) significant players just defies the "bad luck" scenario.
Won't bother even trying to analyze the possible reasons, but know enough to say that there could be controllable "causes" after all.
Why is Foley so bent on making explanations, EXCUSES for this Head Coach? Why is the HC likewise so attached to this OC? Why should WE bother "accepting" and/or supporting any of it??!
ANOTHER YEAR! Unless something is done I've gotta wait at least 9 months of it in deep-down pessimistic foreboding and cynical resignation, mixed in with vain hope, that it MAY be better but probably NOT, not a whole lot anyway. And WHY, ultimately? 'CAUSE WE HAVE ONE OF THE MOST IMPOTENT, MORIBUND OFFENSES, not just in the SEC, NOT just in Gator history (even on the '79 team we had "The Cadillac", Cris Collinsworth playing almost every playmaker's position on the offense and giving us a couple of thrills at LEAST every game), but IN ALL OF CURRENT COLLEGE FOOTBALL.
When you think about it, the only questions appear to be, (1) "Who is ultimately to blame?", and/or (2) "Who do you actually fire replace to best and MOST QUICKLY turn things around?"
I expect a decisive answer from Foley's office by the first or second week of December, at the latest--or see Foley himself topping the LIST of "FORMER Gators" by the New Year. No Shit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Oh, here we go, ESPN College Gameday-guy goin' on worshipfully 'bout the FSU QB, "...To be able to focus and put on this kind of performance with this kind of pressure on his shoulders, blah blah blah..."--Hey screw-brain, we're talkin' 'bout a RAPE charge! Might wanna hold off before canonizing him...
This is what I'm talkin' about: I can hardly watch more'n 5 or 10 minutes of the games themselves, preferably with the sound off, before looking for another game, eventually something else entirely...That's what reality's been reduced to for me and my beloved Gators, not just the last weeks of THIS foreshortened season, but right into next year and possibly all the way to next September--and ending THEN only if things actually turn out better than I'll be expecting by then without some big changes along the way.)

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
What gives with Florida discipline? I just read DB Marcus Roberson is suspended for the game

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, that sucks...but where I once supported Muscgamp's hardline approach to discipline, it all has produced so little in the way of actual results I am more and more seeing a "happier medium" between Muschamp's severe inflexibility on EVERY level and Urban Meyer's "les affaires", "boys will be boys" (ESPECIALLY when they're stars, somehow) approach, might be the better way to go. Somewhere in between, depending on your team and the situation, seems best.
Anyway, with only TWO of our first string-coming-in players on defense starting all the way thru' the season so far, it may have been time for a little "creative understanding" and/or "alternate punishment" in order to help give his team a CHANCE to win, at least...The defense has already more or less "pulled away" from the rest of the team emotionally, never a good thing, and reportedly resent their Head Coach more and more ever since he publicly berated them, blamed them for a pair of 14-6 losses where they were our BRIGHT spot. This is starting to be one of those "classic train wrecks", where the Head Coach by personality and temperament just HAS to keep doing the very things that "got 'em here"--only now it's not a good thing, and goes to the heart of the problem.
(Oh oh--'Cocks have their first big 3rd down completion...here we go--straight to HELL.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Guys--this could well be a long night...It just won't matter what Mornigweg does at this rate--our D HAS to step up. Without ROBERSON now, you can see that isn't gonna happen...Well, we still have Powell, anyway.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yay! Only 3 this time! Gosho, that's swell. Sorry. I'm drunk and trying on "positive". Don't fit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I DO love watching Taylor run--that was close to breaking free...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema