• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 12: NR Florida Gators vs #11 South Carolina Gamecocks

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators are still reeling from a Homecoming loss to Vanderbilt, the first loss to the Commodores in nearly a quarter century, and first home loss to them since World War II.

The Gators have fallen pretty far.
Offense: (Rankings)
Total Offense yd/g: 112th (SEC: 14th)
Total Offense yds/play: 112th (SEC 14th)
(ahead of only Idaho, Southern Mississippi, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Tulane, Massachusetts, Virginia, Kansas, South Florida, Connecticut, Purdue, Miami (Ohio), Florida International)
Rushing yards: 87th (SEC: 13th)
Passing yards: 103rd (SEC: 13th)
Total No. of Plays: 90th (SEC 11th)
Sacks Allowed: 109th (12th)
First downs: 89th (SEC: 11th)
Tackles for Loss Allowed: 111th (SEC: 14th)
3rd down conversions: 53rd (SEC: 8th)

Defense: (Rankings)
Total Defense yd/g: 5th (SEC: 1st)
Total Defense yd/play: 12th (SEC: 1st)
Rushing defense: 15th (SEC: 2nd)
Passing Defense: 5th (SEC: 1st)
Total No. of Plays Allowed: 4th (SEC: 2nd)
Sacks: 85th (SEC: 10th)
Tackles for Loss 101st (SEC: 12th)
First downs allowed: 6th (SEC: 2nd)
3rd down conversions allowed: 10th (SEC: 1st)

Turnover margin: 76th (SEC: 11th)
Time of Possession: 1st (SEC: 1st)

Summary over 9 games:

* We can take pride in knowing the Gator defense is still, on paper, the most productive in the SEC.
* Our eyes do not deceive us: the Gators have the least productive offense in the SEC and are barely more productive than five bottom-dwelling teams.
* The much maligned OL officially gives up the most TFL in the SEC and 3rd most sacks.
* The Gator offense leads the nation in time of possession but ranks only 90th nationally in number of plays run. Lesson: TOP is only important when the offense is producing.
* Turnover margin: The Gators cannot win games without taking care of the football! The Gators are 0-4 under Muschamp when the TO margin is +3 or more.
* The Gators D is good at defending passively, but not aggressively. They do not generate many sacks or tackles for loss.
* The team is in trouble and has little hope of improving regardless of whether they fire Muschamp or Pease. Good luck enjoying the rest of the season. Support your team, but keep your expectations low and your booze handy.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Prediction cocks whip our ass bad muschump gives the same bs after its over, hopefully someone tells Foley to fire him or they hit the unemployment line together!

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
Foley has already been told to fire Champ - the big money boosters are not happy.

Ga8or22

Listening to the Rotary clubs at Gainesville and Ocala - the word is the big money boosters are very unhappy and Foley has been told either Muschamp goes or their money goes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hope its true

Seriously? Do you have a source? I have only heard that Foley is sticking with Muschamp at least through 2014.

Listening to the Rotary clubs at Gainesville and Ocala - the word is the big money boosters are very unhappy and Foley has been told either Muschamp goes or their money goes.
I first heard it last week, and have been relaying what I've been told (it's from inside the Athletic Dept., I've mentioned my connection to this individual in the past, he asks me not to ID him and I'd be a real jerk to betray his trust--but in return he tells me what's being said to and by the very folks we're talking about) since Monday, and it is basically what Ga8or22 is saying: What will actually happen (and when it will happen) is anyone's guess, but a growing contingent of "influential boosters", money men, are putting enormous pressure on Foley to "make the move"--and apparently Foley himself is no longer refusing out-of-hand to consider it. Lot of equivocating and wiggle-room implied there, but the direction and tone of the whole deal has taken a definite turn to the dark side.

Ga8or22

I first heard it last week, and have been relaying what I've been told (it's from inside the Athletic Dept., I've mentioned my connection to this individual in the past, he asks me not to ID him and I'd be a real jerk to betray his trust--but in return he tells me what's being said to and by the very folks we're talking about) since Monday, and it is basically what Ga8or22 is saying: What will actually happen (and when it will happen) is anyone's guess, but a growing contingent of "influential boosters", money men, are putting enormous pressure on Foley to "make the move"--and apparently Foley himself is no longer refusing out-of-hand to consider it. Lot of equivocating and wiggle-room implied there, but the direction and tone of the whole deal has taken a definite turn to the dark side.

I received a email from a friend who is a general sales manager for Marriott hotels in Ocala and Gainesville
and I quote "On the 'Bob Rose" talk show which is every morning, I can't remember who it was that was on and said that he thought that no matter what Muschamp would be there next year. Whoever it was is associated with UF. We've had cancellations for the remaining 2 games here at all three hotels. The swamp will be close to empty for the Georgia Southern game I think. "

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
When we talk about money, the financial commitments already made contractually, and all that, we have to take into account future seat-sales, day-of walk-up and season's tickets, too--add in the huge resulting drop-off in concessions; then Gator paraphernalia added in, and you are dealing with a substantial amount that multiplies quickly, even geometrically. It'll all match a significant portion of Muschamp's salary now no matter what happens.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Ga8or22, @Leakfan12,
Bearing in mind the enormous pressure already there, and continuing to build, on Foley from many of the guys whom he answers to, I'm beginning to recognize a kind of "daisey chain of blind loyalty": Muschamp can't let go his clutching grip on Pease, likewise Foley on Muschamp--and if Foley isn't careful (and as smart as I once thought he was), he's gonna go out with BOTH of 'em, a regular "shocked threesome", on their asses in the street!
Think I'm overstating it, or at least exaggerating the likely scenario? Check out the growing "wave" of unrest after THIS weekend (we are going to lose, and lose badly, I think--You think SS doesn't know about "kick 'em when they're down"? You think he won't "hang half a hunnert" on US, if he can?!!) And just wait 'til the rest of the losses add up, when we've beaten no one but Georgia Southern since the third week of the season, and them barely--only to be absolutely torn apart by the Weasels to the West to end things in a deep ditch injuries didn't dig for us...There'll be nowhere to hide, and no excuses or explanations that'll make much difference: Comes to that, Foley better have already read the writing-on-the-wall, 'cause by then that wall will be falling over and burying everyone who hasn't put some definite distance between it AND those who oversaw it's demise.
'Course, we could somehow pull it all together, as a team and as a coaching-regime, revamp the offense and re-enliven the spirit and general psychic health of the our program, win The Cocktail Party and at least give the 'Cocks AND the 'Noles a game--give Foley's present position some ground to stand on. And "Gators might fly out my ass", too. Hasn't happened yet, but, well, you know...

(I absolutely HATE that I feel I have to be both "the voice of reality" AND "the voice of doom" at all, let alone at this point in the season...another thing I resent about this whole fiasco of a season that stubborn blindness and a deep-but-hidden flaw in a Head Coach I supported and otherwise admired as an individual has brought upon us.)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
A ha! That is the difference. Pat Haden was only 100% behind Lane Kiffin. Jeremy Foley is 1000% behind Will Muschamp.

Guys, I have resigned to the fact that Will Muschamp is staying, so I will support him. There is too much negativity going around, and I do not have enough booze to get through this without trying to be positive. No more "F you Will Muschamp" from me. I will support the team, not for the stubborn coaches, but for the proud players...those five players that stayed after the Homecoming loss to sing the alma mater with the band. It took me a couple days to arrive at this point. We are Florida. We will not be able to overcome all this adversity in three games, but next year we can expect a return on the Will Muschamp investment.

miltongator

Gator Fan
A ha! That is the difference. Pat Haden was only 100% behind Lane Kiffin. Jeremy Foley is 1000% behind Will Muschamp.

Guys, I have resigned to the fact that Will Muschamp is staying, so I will support him. There is too much negativity going around, and I do not have enough booze to get through this without trying to be positive. No more "F you Will Muschamp" from me. I will support the team, not for the stubborn coaches, but for the proud players...those five players that stayed after the Homecoming loss to sing the alma mater with the band. It took me a couple days to arrive at this point. We are Florida. We will not be able to overcome all this adversity in three games, but next year we can expect a return on the Will Muschamp investment.

I need to get me some of those rose colored glasses. Where'd you buy 'em?

miltongator

Gator Fan
The Gators are still reeling from a Homecoming loss to Vanderbilt, the first loss to the Commodores in nearly a quarter century, and first home loss to them since World War II.

The Gators have fallen pretty far.
Offense: (Rankings)
Total Offense yd/g: 112th (SEC: 14th)
Total Offense yds/play: 112th (SEC 14th)
(ahead of only Idaho, Southern Mississippi, Wake Forest, Iowa State, Tulane, Massachusetts, Virginia, Kansas, South Florida, Connecticut, Purdue, Miami (Ohio), Florida International)
Rushing yards: 87th (SEC: 13th)
Passing yards: 103rd (SEC: 13th)
Total No. of Plays: 90th (SEC 11th)
Sacks Allowed: 109th (12th)
First downs: 89th (SEC: 11th)
Tackles for Loss Allowed: 111th (SEC: 14th)
3rd down conversions: 53rd (SEC: 8th)

Defense: (Rankings)
Total Defense yd/g: 5th (SEC: 1st)
Total Defense yd/play: 12th (SEC: 1st)
Rushing defense: 15th (SEC: 2nd)
Passing Defense: 5th (SEC: 1st)
Total No. of Plays Allowed: 4th (SEC: 2nd)
Sacks: 85th (SEC: 10th)
Tackles for Loss 101st (SEC: 12th)
First downs allowed: 6th (SEC: 2nd)
3rd down conversions allowed: 10th (SEC: 1st)

Turnover margin: 76th (SEC: 11th)
Time of Possession: 1st (SEC: 1st)

Summary over 9 games:

* We can take pride in knowing the Gator defense is still, on paper, the most productive in the SEC.
* Our eyes do not deceive us: the Gators have the least productive offense in the SEC and are barely more productive than five bottom-dwelling teams.
* The much maligned OL officially gives up the most TFL in the SEC and 3rd most sacks.
* The Gator offense leads the nation in time of possession but ranks only 90th nationally in number of plays run. Lesson: TOP is only important when the offense is producing.
* Turnover margin: The Gators cannot win games without taking care of the football! The Gators are 0-4 under Muschamp when the TO margin is +3 or more.
* The Gators D is good at defending passively, but not aggressively. They do not generate many sacks or tackles for loss.
* The team is in trouble and has little hope of improving regardless of whether they fire Muschamp or Pease. Good luck enjoying the rest of the season. Support your team, but keep your expectations low and your booze handy.

My expectations continue to be low (have been since the middle of Zook 2.0's first year) and it's now wwwwwaaaayyyy past due for a booze run. Anyone have a pick-up I can borrow?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94, (and everyone else, btw)
OK--I understand and support your POV, will now even follow it up with a little optimism myself, somewhat by coincidence--if not by principle (like yourself or even particularly deep conviction, but you have a real point, a strong and, yes, noble one...
MY revision concerns my earlier prediction, a deep feeling actually, that we are going to lose this game Saturday (tomorrow), and lose it badly: I never wanna be right about such things anyway, so when I realized early today, and it was confirmed in official announcement that Skylar Mornigweg was finally going to start, I saw an intuitive ray of hope crack through the dark, low-hanging clouds. This kid has, by all reports, been tearing up the first string defense with his passing game for several weeks--as he's mastered more of the playbook has been calling more and more audibles in scrimmage and throwing darts. Never mind that it took Pease & Co. having little choice BUT to play him over the more and more coming-back-to-earth and mediocrity (but still gritty and game, I'll grant you) Murphy getting so banged up he really couldn't go on, to make this move--but I now see a scenario where "the Kid" triggers an enlivened offense, revitalizing the spirit and "edge" that our still talented D has lately lost, and, if not "turns it all around", at least helps to keep us in the game, maybe even score enough points for the D to actually work with--and more important perhaps, BELIEVE they have what they, WE need to win. Again: it may not be enough, but if things go well early, this could be one that we have a chance in after all. Now, the "kid-coming-off-the-bench-to-turn-it-all-around"-scenario, though exciting and cinematic as HELL, isn't one I'm gonna be counting on, even looking for, in real life...But a sign of what we could, can and perhaps will be in time-to-come--and no further in the future than next season, when we have a lot back and even more to work with on both sides of the ball, well, as you say E-, if it turns out that it is indeed to be "Muschamp at least one more season", then we can only go with it for now and hope for the best.
(However, I'm not fully convinced of that, by any means...I still believe that jury is still out, and that the things that have happened, are happening and will happen NOW have yet to settle that question no matter what--certainly for our OC whose tenure is questionable at best, and possibly for the Head Coach himself, even now and over the final weeks of this season.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
OK I'm more nervous since they're more than likely starting their THIRD STRING QB. Anybody else nervous if that happens?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema