• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Are the Florida gators the new"u-Thug"?

Twenty-four arrests in four years and counting. That is an average of six arrests per year for Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team.

Yet, there has been little national media scrutiny into Meyer's lack of control down in Gainesville. It would seem that if you are winning big, you may get a free pass when it comes to your players obeying the laws of the state of Florida.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/190958-hey-coach-meyer-are-the-florida-gators-the-new-thug-u

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
What a surprise! You don't mention the minor infractions that most of these arrests were for. Or the fact that Meyer immediately kicked players off of the team who committed the most agregious offenses.

Talk about living in glass houses. Aren't you the fan of a team that has had multiple FELONY arrests since Mr. Saban has arrived on campus. I don't think UF has had one player convicted of a drug-related felony.

Worry about your own problems.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Twenty-four arrests in four years and counting. That is an average of six arrests per year for Urban Meyer's Florida Gators football team.

Yet, there has been little national media scrutiny into Meyer's lack of control down in Gainesville. It would seem that if you are winning big, you may get a free pass when it comes to your players obeying the laws of the state of Florida.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/190958-hey-coach-meyer-are-the-florida-gators-the-new-thug-u

Give me a break. Most of those arrests were for misdemeanors, and for the few who have committed serious infractions, they're no longer with the team.

"Little national media scrutiny"? Come on - doesn't the media cause enough trouble as it is?

Has he kicked Jenkins off the team?

Just for getting into a fight? Your sarcasm isn't funny.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Franklin is just a follower. He hopped on that bandwagon as quick as he could then tried to get us to help get his "hit count" up.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Franklin is just a follower. He hopped on that bandwagon as quick as he could then tried to get us to help get his "hit count" up.

I just responded to his article on Bleacher Report, and also reiterated what was said in that one quote I posted in the other thread about the Jenkins arrest.

Leakbrewer is right, and basically said the same thing I did in my response to his article and what I had cited in that quote. Aside from the Newton, Ronnie Wilson, Hornsby and Rickerson arrests, the others were for petty misdemeanors and basically irrational judgment calls on the part of the players involved in those incidents.

Lambasting Coach Meyer over every single minor player arrest is ridiculous. He has told these kids time and time again what he expects as far as their behavior is concerned, and they too need to be responsible for the decisions they make as far as their conduct goes. As I've said before, it's now time for Meyer to have a "pow-wow" with the kids and discuss discipline with them before the season gets underway.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Agreed. The conditions are ripe for a repeat. Let's not screw it up over discipline problems.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Has he kicked Jenkins off the team?

Hey Junior, Where's Lulu, slopping with the hogs? Sept. 19th can't get here quick enough, but then , that azz kicking the vollies are going to receive probably still won't shut their RedMan receptacles. They're just that igorant.

The record speaks for itself...

1. After Jarvis “Puffy” Moss jumped up (Ganja increased his vertical by 18″) and salvaged the croc’s season against the Gamecocks by blocking a last second field goal attempt, it was revealed he to also failed a drug test during the summer as the clock ticked to zero. Guess what game he missed? The showdown between top ranked UF versus division 1AA Western Carolina.

2. Gator great, Marcus “Medicinal Puff” Thomas – a multiple drug test failure, pot and GHB. Gator fans tried to convince us all it was from the same test… then the truth came out, near the end of the season with his dismissal from the team. Moss and Thomas were both drafted by the Broncos. WTF was Shanahan thinking?

3. Baby Momma Slappin Avery Atkins. The alleged victim, Benerah Sanford, told police: She and Atkins argued Saturday on a drive to Atkins’ grandmother’s house. Atkins leaned over and punched her at least 13 times, and pushed her face against the car’s window while he conversed with relatives. Every time Sanford tried to exit the car, Atkins either punched her or stepped on the gas. When the pair finally arrived at Atkins’ home, she ran off and called the police.
Earlier this month, Atkins was found in a car in Daytona Beach with weed, gun and digital scales. To top it off, it was not his car. He had enrolled in UF in January with plans to “fight his way back to the cornerback slot.”

4. Brandon James a football player and Brandon Powell who coincidently is the basketball player who sucker punched the Vandy student in the back of the head [link], were found together in Gainesville with…. you guessed it: marijuana in the car during an undercover “buy bust”. One felony and one misdemeanor — purchase of a controlled substance and possession of >20 grams of marijuana — suspended indefinitely.

5. WR Riley Cooper smashed a windshield, welcome the perfect gater. And just who is Jasim Alidina? Adlina was the victim of Freshman Riley Cooper’s flailing haymaker through his car window. While Alidina survived the incident, remarkably unscathed, neither Cooper nor the car were as lucky. Cooper was taken to the Morton Plant Hospital.

6. Florida defensive back Dorian Munroe charged with felony for removal of parking boot and placing it in his trunk. This was later ironed out as expected as UF is thin at the corner. One felony — theft of a police metal parking boot from his car

7. At Da Club, Ronnie “The Rifleman” Wilson slaps some guy, then spits on him, then ends it by shooting at him, luckily police actually stepped in one time before he killed that guy. two felonies and one misdemeanor — gun in a parking lot near campus — suspended indefinitely

8. LB Dusty “Rhodes” Doe, pummels some dude (ala Channing the Chainsaw Crowder) in a Alaucha County vs. Pasco County gang fight (Reds vs. Crips style). Punishment? No suspension from Meyer. Doe to face the (Jaws intro theme) Leadership Committee. one misdemeanor — disorderly conduct for parking garage brawl

9. The 7-Man shower Self shooting gun incident, Gator players led by Dee Webb, Andre “Bubba” Caldwell and Reggie Lewis had a $60,000 SUV loaded with improperly registered AK’s and other machine guns… and they were all drunk while shooting at apartment windows for fun. Of course initially nobody took the blame and they all said they were in the shower (together) and that the gun must have shot itself… Gators went with the deniable plausibility angle when Dee Webb shot off his arsenal saying he had already declared for the draft, so he was no longer a Gator.

T10. Dallas “Bike Taker” Baker, steals a bike, but when cops questioned him, Dallas said, “heck man, I just thought the bike was ‘abandoned’”. The sophomore was issued a sworn complaint from UPD as an officer stopped Baker near Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (which is a great place to take a deuce). Baker said he was late for an appointment and picked up an abandoned bicycle. Misdemeanor!!!

T10. Linebacker Taurean Charles. A UF student said Charles touched her against her will, the sworn complaint issued by the university police department said. Charles allegedly slammed her on the bed and onto a computer desk, picked her up over his head and threw her down on her roommate’s bed, according to the complaint. Charles was later dismissed from the Florida team.

(NEXT PAGE)

Nyan (Cap’n Stabbin) Boateng gets into a heated arguement with some chick, a knife fight breaks out, Nyan Dogg ends up bloodied on the floor, luckily he was still alive.

Gainesville Police arrested University of Florida football player Jacques Rickerson overnight on a charge of domestic battery by strangulation, battery, and obstruction of justice.

Safety Tony Joiner is the eighth Florida player in the last nine months to get in legal trouble, a growing concern for the defending national champions.

Joiner, a senior captain and defensive leader, was arrested early yesterday and charged with felony burglary, police said.

Offensive guard Carl Johnson became the 22nd player arrested since Urban Meyer became coach of the Gators, the fourth in the past 10 months.

GAINESVILLE -- University of Florida football player Marquis Hannah, a graduate of Miami Carol City High School, was arrested at 5 p.m. on Friday for allegedly forcing his way into a Gainesville apartment and punching a man in the face.

Hannah was charged with a second-degree felony for unarmed burglary of an occupied dwelling and a first-degree misdemeanor for battery.

GAINESVILLE — Gainesville Police used a Taser on Florida cornerback Janoris Jenkins and arrested him for his involvement in a fight over the weekend, according to Alachua County jail records.

Jenkins, 20, a freshman All-American last year, faces misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest without violence after fighting with five people despite an officer's order to stop.

DESTIN— University of Florida safety Dorian Munroe was arrested last week and charged with theft after Munroe admitted to a UF police officer that he had removed a UPD ‘’boot'’ from one of his tires and placed it in his trunk.

Munroe was charged with a third-degree felony, according to a police report, because the boot was valued at $385. UF’s police department places the boots on vehicles whose owners either have three or more outstanding parking tickets or five guilty citations within a year.

According to the report, Munroe was called to UPD headquarters on May 22. There, according to the report, Munroe told officer Brian Boydthat he had taken the boot off his 1987 Mercedes. The boot was removed from Munroe’s trunk, and Munroe was arrested and transported to Alachua County jail. He was released Wednesday.

UF athletic department spokesman Steve McClain said Tuesday that Gators coach Urban Meyer is aware of the incident and that there is an internal process in place to handle such matters. Munroe, a rising sophomore from Miami, is expected to compete for significant playing time this season.

Arrest 5: UF Football Player/Hoops Player Arrested on Drug Charges

(NEXT PAGE)

By Lise Fisher
Sun staff writer
Two University of Florida athletes, one a basketball player and another a football player, were arrested overnight by Gainesville Police on allegations of drug possession, jail records showed.

Brandon Charles Powell and Brandon K. James, both 19, were being held at the Alachua County jail on charges of purchase and possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana, according to court records.

Powell was a freshman last year with the college’s basketball team, while James was a freshman who played a major role in the 2006 national championship football team as a kickoff and punt returner.

Arrest 6: Former UF Receiver Faces Multiple Charges

By Jonathan Okanes

Cal wide receiver Nyan Boateng was arrested in Gainesville, Fla., last week and was charged with burglary residence, battery and criminal mischief.

According to Gainesville police Sgt. Chuck Reddick, Boateng attempted to enter the home of his former girlfriend early Thursday morning. When she refused to let him in, Boateng kicked in the door and entered anyway.

Boateng, a transfer from the University of Florida, is scheduled to sit out this season because of NCAA transfer rules. He will be a junior in 2008 and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Boateng was a football and basketball star at Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he was basketball teammates with the NBA’s Sebastian Telfair. Boateng played one season at Florida, catching two passes for 44 yards as a freshman.

“We’re aware there was an incident in Florida and we’re gathering all the information we can,” Cal athletic spokesman John Sudsbury said.

Boateng worked out with Cal during the spring and looked like a potential star. With junior wide receiver DeSean Jackson possibly leaving for the NFL after this season, Boateng could be a perfect fit to fill in.

The burglary charge is a felony while the other two are misdemeanors. A court date is pending.

Arrest 7: Gator Player Charged with Burglary

By Karen Voyles
A senior on the University of Florida football team was arrested early Tuesday and charged with burglary according to Gainesville Police.
Earl A. “Tony” Joiner, 21, was arrested at 4:59 a.m. outside the fenced impound lot of Watson’s Towing at 516 SW 1st St.
Senior defensive back Earl A. “Tony” Joiner, 21, was arrested at 4:59 a.m. outside the fenced impound lot of Watson’s Towing at 516 SW 1st St.

Joiner, who is 6 feet tall and weighs 194 pounds, was accused of pushing a heavy electric gate open to enter the lot in an attempt to retrieve his girlfriend’s car which was being held in lieu of a $76 towing bill, according to police reports.

According to Gainesville Police, witnesses said a man pushed open the gate at 4:30 a.m., got into a car, drove the car out of the lot and was trying to close the gate when he was confronted by one of two witnesses. The witness said the man drove the car back into the lot and waited for officers to arrive.

The officer who arrested Joiner, Robert Concannon, noted in the arrest report that Joiner was on a phone talking to someone when Concannon walked up to Joiner. Concannon said he heard Joiner talking into the phone and saying, “I am probably about to go to jail ‘cuz I did push the gate open.”

Arrest 8: Cunningham and Demps Arrested on Burglary Charges
By: Lindsay Jones
Starting defensive end Jermaine Cunningham was arrested early Wednesday morning on a misdemeanor battery charge after reportedly causing a disturbance at an sandwich shop near campus.

According to a Gainesville Police report, Cunningham and former Gator linebacker Jon Demps got into an argument with an employee at Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich shop, located on University Avenue. When the employee reportedly told Cunningham and Demps they had to pay for a bag of potato chips, Cunningham and Demps became “verbally abusive” and began throwing items, including empty soda cups and a sandwich, at the employee.

Cunningham and Demps left the store, and were arrested on campus at 2:49 a.m.

According to records from the Alachua County Jail, he was booked at 3:56 a.m. and was still at the jail at 10:30 a.m.

Cunningham, a sophomore who has started every game this season, is third on the team with 62 tackles (34 solo). He has 6.5 sacks and 11 tackles for a loss.

Former LSU wide receiver Xavier Carter was also arrested after the incident on a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest, according to a GPD report. Carter, who left LSU to run professionally, recently moved to Gainesville to begin training with UF track coach Mike Holloway.

Carter was reportedly with Cunningham and Demps on University Ave. after the incident at Jimmy John’s, but ran from police when Cunningham and Demps were arrested.

Minimize it if you will, but this is just a partial list...

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Nice job on the nicknames. (which I doubt you had a hand in)
Yet I have a couple for you now.
"GOSLING franklin"
or
"NOBBLING franklin"
I think the second one suits you best.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Hammer, refer to the post I made in the Jenkins arrest thread, and get the real scoop on the incidents. All you've done is waste bandwidth, never mind try to mix it up with Gator fans knowing you'd get negative backlash in return.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I'm usually the guy arguing not to ban someone b/c competitive banter is always fun. But maybe this guy should be banned. All he does is post links to his own blog and try to stir up trouble. The fact that he wasted three posts on information that has already been refuted on this site just makes him seem like a total imbecile.

:ban:

Escambia94

I wouldn't ban him yet, because he is trying to support his claim that <insert team here> is better than Florida or that Florida sucks because <insert supporting evidence here>. I only hope that Florida stays out of the negative headlines after a good talking by UM.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I wouldn't ban him yet, because he is trying to support his claim that <insert team here> is better than Florida or that Florida sucks because <insert supporting evidence here>. I only hope that Florida stays out of the negative headlines after a good talking by UM.

It sounds like his beef is with the level of media coverage the Florida incidents are getting, or not enough - if that's the case, then he needs to mind his own business. The media meddles into areas they shouldn't, creates more problems than they know, and likes to create controversy on purpose.

With the exception of the four players I mentioned, the vast majority of these incidents are misdemeanors, and with some of the them, they took place after the players involved were no longer active on our roster - so some of the cases are moot points not worthy of being twisted by the media.

Escambia94

It sounds like his beef is with the level of media coverage the Florida incidents are getting, or not enough - if that's the case, then he needs to mind his own business. The media meddles into areas they shouldn't, creates more problems than they know, and likes to create controversy on purpose.

With the exception of the four players I mentioned, the vast majority of these incidents are misdemeanors, and with some of the them, they took place after the players involved were no longer active on our roster - so some of the cases are moot points not worthy of being twisted by the media.

Agreed. When UF re-entered the limelight by winning football games, it also re-entered the limelight for negative scrutiny.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Just so I'm clear, is this dolt a bammer? If so, this (op) mental midget seriously has absolutely NO ROOM to talk. SPUAT (Scandal Plagued Univ. of Alabama at Tuscalooser) is a well earned rep. because the "Bahr" was one of the biggest cheaters/drunk in all of football. What I find ironic is some dolt linking to bleacher report and a "source", when infact, any schmoe/loser/pondscum can get a an account there and spin away.

One has to be a serious mental midget to link their own spin-slanted, (I will also add: poorly written and lacks grammar) idiotic and a an obvious relfection of the poor (or serious lack of) education this idiot is passing off as "proof". How very sad the op's life must be

Alabama has had only eight incidents over the last four years. Compare that to Florida's 24?

That is exactly the point, you call us "SPUAT (Scandal Plagued Univ. of Alabama at Tuscalooser)"

Yet, Florida has 4 times the arrest rate. That is perception and that is why I am pointing this out. The media make people think Alabama has problems while teams like Florida get a free pass?

Why is that? Why do people think Alabama has problems when Florida has four times the problems and up until now, nothing has been reported?

Thanks for helping me make that point...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema