• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban to OSU?

mjfan23

VIP Member
So being from Ohio, I constantly have to hear all the OSU blabber...

This topic started along time ago... But there are numerous rumors that a deal is VERY close to being done.

If these reports are true, I'd be kinda dissapointed in Urban.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

This topic started along time ago... But there are numerous rumors that a deal is VERY close to being done.

I'd be more than "kinda", myself--but by now, sadly, NOT that surprised. Unfortunately, we have come to see and realize more of Meyer's "feet of clay" than we would have ever once expected. His words of promise and certainty have too often turned out to be without merit. The very fact that he has insisted so "clearly and unequivocally" that he would neither coach next year nor coach at OSU we now know may very well mean nothing, and possibly even that it may well BE in truth "a done deal"--such has come to seem the reliability of "Urban Meyer's insistent word of honor".

Leakfan12

VIP Member
In his book Urban's Way, that there was only three jobs that he would override his wife's decision and one of those was Ohio State. Hate to see him go there but I'm sure their offer him a big payday. Any chance of us to beg OSU to keep the guy they have now?

bluemoon22

Gator Fan

I don't think he will coach yet. If he's going to take off from coaching to be with his family as he claimed, then I would think he needed more than one year away.

mjfan23

VIP Member
Urban straight up said NO for several schools... not the case with OSU.

If Urban takes the OSU job, i serious question the entire "health" issue.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Urban straight up said NO for several schools... not the case with OSU.

If Urban takes the OSU job, i serious question the entire "health" issue.
And you are right to do so: as I note elsewhere, the more we see and hear from Urban since his "retirement" (like the job he took, the one at ESPN that puts him on the road at LEAST 4 days a week--within a couple of months of telling us he needed to relax and stay home, "...For the sake of my health, and above all to spend more time with my family."), the more we learn about the shape in which he left our team and program (before he BAILED on it rather than face the losses and rebuilding-job that by then was going to be necessary--and he KNEW it), the LESS we can believe in what we once took to be his sense of honor or loyalty, or take seriously either previous claims or current statements-to-the contrary: like dealing with a politician, all you have to do is realize that he hasn't DENIED the basic point, that he IS in "discussions" with OSU regarding the "coaching position", and you have a pretty clear idea of the truth.
As long as they (ie. OSU) come up with a fat enough offer (say, better-than-$5 mil. per year, plus perks, for a certain minimum period of some years, all guaranteed, REGARDLESS of results), he WILL be going. Watch.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I doubt being a broadcaster is more stressful than a head coach at a major program or even a mid-major program. I agree with bluemoom, retire for one year and you're back after leaving for health reasons. You can argue than the OSU job is going to be tougher than the Gators especially when OSU get the hammer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I doubt being a broadcaster is more stressful than a head coach at a major program or even a mid-major program. I agree with bluemoom, retire for one year and you're back after leaving for health reasons. You can argue than the OSU job is going to be tougher than the Gators especially when OSU get the hammer.
I was thinking more about the "spend time with my family"-business--obviously, he's got it easier NOW than "Head Coach at a major college"--THAT'S the part that gives the lie to the "For the sake of my health"-claim. He didn't do it (ie. abdicate his position at UF) for his family, and he SURE didn't do it for his health, or he wouldn't even be TALKING about coming back to coaching now, certainly not less-than-a-year later...but HE knew he wasn't in any real danger healthwise (remember: even we, the public, knew that by the time he "officially retired"). It all kind of "smelled fishy" at the time, but let's face it: by then we'd gone through a season with him totally distracted and uninterested on the sideline, "The Nameless One" in charge and the results on the field deteriorating before our eyes, and a whole lot of us were no longer all that sorry to see him walk away after all, at that point. This last scene in the whole phony melodrama may seem like it's playing out belatedly, like "the other shoe" dropping "after a while", but in truth (and in terms of "an honorable interval") it turned out to be "ASAP", with no regard for any decorum, or thought of even TRYING to make it look "right" anymore--when it comes down to it, Urban wants what Urban wants, and we see him now for what he is: an arrogant phony with the soul of a politician.
(Just for the record: none of this changes the fact that when it comes down to how he ascended to the position, and the actual job he did here at UF during the 5 years or so that he was here AND had his carefully-chosen and relied-upon longtime assistants around him, he was one HELL of a Head Coach: he brought us TWO National Championships in three years as he and his guys hit their peak (AND he had an experienced Tim Tebow--no small thing). HIS problems, and hence, OURS, began the moment "his guys" all "jumped for a piece of their own": otherwise, we might well have had another there in '09--but instead, that's where the "cracks" first began to show. It was "only" that one game against Alabama (the SEC Championship) that we lost, but we all could feel it before then--"Nameless" in charge of the whole offense, "winning ugly", "talented head-cases" and locker room "problems" (sound familiar? Urban's recruits), and eventually Black's selfish, STUPID screw-up and suspension just before the actual game, Appearance 1 of "Urban The Drama Queen" and The Great Flip-Flop. No getting around it, winning NATIONAL Titles is HARD; it's the result of a number of factors, and winning even one takes brains, luck AND hard work. Doing it again, and so soon, takes a special touch. It got away from him QUICK once he didn't have his "support group/braintrust" around him anymore--and he won't be getting it back so soon or so easily, I'm figuring...but at OSU, he doesn't HAVE to--he's got a built-in excuse with all the sanctions, reduced scholarships and lowered expectations. All he has to do is hold things together and act the part of "Responsible Dean of The Coaching Community". The "natives" won't get restless for at least the next 4 or 5 years.)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
We really should not take this personally, Gator Nation. He did his job from 2005-2009. He had personal issues in 2010 (essentially left us) and got better. He could not have improved his health as head coach of the Gators. Now, he is Gator bait! Bring it on!

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Yeah, I'm with you, E-94. We all love the guy for the success we enjoyed with him as coach, but he doesn't owe us anything except mutual respect (eg: not running down the team, etc). More than that, whatever he owed us was satisfied by his contract.

He wants to go with OSU (which I keep reading as Oklahoma State, btw), then fair enough to him. I wish him health.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
If urban takes the job in Ohio, then his name gets filed under punk n my book.

He obviously had no health issues and used it as an excuse to bounce on us, leaving us with his shitty recruiting class....

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Black? You mean Dunlap (or Dun@$$) because Carlos Dunlap was the one who drove drunk and missed the game. Also Inked, his last recruiting class was number one in 2010 though he can blame him in 2011 though it was Muschamp's.

Escambia94

I work with military guys that hit an age where they need a sabbatical to get better. If Urban did not take a sabbatical to do ESPN, he might have destroyed himself. In the military and in business, high ranking officials just need a break after burning out..but before self destruction. Once Urban goes to tOSU, he will take what he has learned in handling stress, and using what he has learned as an analyst to do what he could not do at Florida without a sabbatical. Just be happy for him, and wait until the day the Gators crush his Suckeyes...then we can reminisce with him about the good ol' days when it was his Gators crushing the f!ckeyes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We really should not take this personally, Gator Nation. He did his job from 2005-2009. He had personal issues in 2010 (essentially left us) and got better. He could not have improved his health as head coach of the Gators. Now, he is Gator bait! Bring it on!
Yes, a great 5 years, and I acknowledged that above...personally, I had already come to recognize the shallow hollowness of our former Head Coach's various poses and heartfelt declarations regarding "health", "family", "honor" and loyalty". The truth is that Urban Meyer's standards and ethics are considerably more flexible and vague than we once might have thought, his main concern always having been that they APPEAR to be straight, strong, and central in his life. While I couldn't predict the exact direction of how it would play out, the events currently unfolding are of no surprise to me: I EXPECTED something similar, and had a pretty good idea of WHERE he'd go, once Tressel got "in too deep". The timing may have been a LITTLE short for "propriety's" sake, but, as I say, that wasn't going to stop HIM from getting what he wants. So while I understand some Gators' bitterness, arising out of a supposed sense of "surprised betrayal", by now I see it simply as "Urban being Urban". However, the manner in which he LEFT the program, the long" disconnect" and practical inattention that sapped the program of energy, talent and all momentum once gained--THAT I resent and cannot forget. Yes, he gave us so much, but he proceeded to essentially take it away, or at least preside over its dismantling, then bailed on us with melodramatic scenes and words in retrospect played solely as "cover", to make things LOOK a certain "acceptable" way.
Since then that realization, along with so many others about the last couple of years of his regime, the subsequent problems and confused shambles we have all had to recognize in our program have ripped away the veil of illusion that Meyer, and Meyer alone, gave us those Championships. Again: amazing how quickly it all fell apart after his longtime assistants all left...and REVEALING, not just the immediate fall off, but of what took the place of "efficiency and striving for perfection" (it's in his book) as soon as they and Tebow moved on. At this point, I wouldn't WANT him as our Coach; unlike the fools who pine for his return as they once did Spurrier's, I would MUCH rather have the guy we've got right now over him--and just about anyone out there I can think of, NO SH*T. Y'all can do the bloggers' equivalent of throw rotten vegetables at me in a couple of years if you still feel differently and I turn out to be wrong, but I really DOUBT you'll be envying OSU anytime soon, Meyer or not.
In fact, I HOPE they DO get it together in 4 or 5 years, and we can meet them ON THE FIELD in a National Title Game. By then, we'll have a strong power-pro offense and a KILLER "D"; Meyer will find that his "small fast guys" aren't quite as fast up there as he could draw on at Florida, and while they may be able to run it up on the ponderous defenses in the Big Ten with some variation of the "Meyer Spread", without "the 2nd coming of Tim Tebow", I like the idea of Muschamp & Weis' "big strong fast guys" against them. I'll be for "running it up" on them, on HIM, come that day.

Escambia94

One thing that annoys me--call me an Urban Meyer apologist--is the assumption that the Meyer spread requires a Tim Tebow. There was only one Tim Tebow, but Josh Harris of Bowling Green had his successes. He was the 2nd quarterback in FBS history with 40 TDs rushing and passing. Alex Smith at Utah was 4th in Heisman voting, 1st NFL draft pick. Chris Leak won a national championship. They all ran the Meyer spread!

Any way, I have been seeing mixed news reports on whether or not Urban really got the job.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One thing that annoys me--call me an Urban Meyer apologist--is the assumption that the Meyer spread requires a Tim Tebow. There was only one Tim Tebow, but Josh Harris of Bowling Green had his successes. He was the 2nd quarterback in FBS history with 40 TDs rushing and passing. Alex Smith at Utah was 4th in Heisman voting, 1st NFL draft pick. Chris Leak won a national championship. They all ran the Meyer spread!

Any way, I have been seeing mixed news reports on whether or not Urban really got the job.
I certainly don't mean to argue THAT--only that he HAD him, and it made a difference, BECAUSE he was so unique. Meyer basically won one WITHOUT Tebow (and with the under-appreciated Leak) as his main QB, and one WITH him in there, but even in '06 he had #15 to run that "Power Spread", with the option of the jump pass (a uniquely "Tebow play", you must admit), in the redzone.
No, the Meyer Spread, as it was run at UF, didn't "require" Tebow, but it sure BENEFITTED by his presence in various ways, at various times, on various paths to ultimate success. As for it's use elsewhere, ANYWHERE, I would say that it DOES require SOME source of power running. Did we not see a pretty thorough "compare and contrast" demonstration between "with Tebow" and "without"? Urban's predilection for "small fast guys" left us exposed in key areas once that was virtually ALL we had. Your examples detailing his "Spread's" success elsewhere during his rise to prominence I think only further reinforces my point here (not to mention the accompanying one regarding the co-equal importance of the specific group of individuals around him, the assistant coaches who were by then fundamental figures in that rise).
As for the "news reports", reading between the lines of his own public utterances on this matter (something I've learned to do with ALL news, ESPECIALLY when deciphering what a politician is saying) allows a clearer view:
Urban Meyer HAS some sort of tentative "understanding" with OSU officials as to the basic dollars, perks, power and length-of-contract, guaranteed (the latest figures, to which he gave his most revealing "non-denying denial", putting it at $40 million over 7 years, slots him nicely "at the top"), but it is SO far non-binding and CONDITIONAL, pending next week's supposed NCAA decision as to OSU's sanctions, which are expected to be handed down. I have my own theories as to what he is in fact waiting for there that may affect his decision either way, but we can discuss that elsewhere.
The point here is that it is his if he wants it--and he WANTS it, but only under certain conditions, some of which are still undecided and beyond direct control of OSU officials.
(Along with my own albeit rather cynical views on "what Meyer is waiting for", among other related topics we can discuss at some point include this idea I've heard starting its rounds among the media-idiots, led not surprisingly by "face-made-for-radio/whining-voice-like-nails-on-glass" Colin Cowhurd that Meyer will immediately and automatically be successful in "draining an unprecedented portion of Florida talent to Columbus" upon accepting the Head Coaching position there. Does anyone else besides me believe this will be problematical for him, at best? And without his "old gang" of assistants around to do the legwork, lay the ground work, and give their counsel each step of the way, who thinks he'll be any more successful in PRACTICAL terms than the actual results HERE without them? Is there any reason to fear the results? Beyond all that, I have heard some of the most ridiculous arguments and assumptions on the part of various college football "experts" the last 24 hours or so, not only regarding Meyer's "certain success", but in rationalizing why and how that success will be "less stressful and therefore easier on his health" due to the supposed differences between a "relentlessly down and dirty SEC", where "all the teams either were or are in some sanction- and/or punishment-phase" and "you can hardly operate, compete or WIN without getting dirty yourself"--as opposed to a "traditionally clean and honorable Big Ten", where "gentlemen compete hard, but the kinds of things that are common in the SEC are long-frowned-upon by the giants, the Deans of Big Ten Coaching". Yeah, Uhuh...and wasn't Jim Tressel considered another in that long line of "Deans" until quite recently? Again: if/when anyone wants to get into THIS stuff, just let me know: I'm ready...)

Escambia94

I hope it is not too late for Urban to decline the job. NCAA sanctions on tOSU will hurt Urban's ability to build a competitive team. Also, Urban still has an office in Gainesville. If he gets a HC job, he is going to steal some coaches from Muschamp. Rumor has it that Mickey Marotti would be Urban's strength and conditioning coach with a promotion to director of football operations. DJ Durkin is rumored to become the assistant defensive coordinator.

I am all for Urban's coaching revival, but I do not want him taking Marotti, and I hope his team is not under NCAA sanctions.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hope it is not too late for Urban to decline the job. NCAA sanctions on tOSU will hurt Urban's ability to build a competitive team. Also, Urban still has an office in Gainesville. If he gets a HC job, he is going to steal some coaches from Muschamp. Rumor has it that Mickey Marotti would be Urban's strength and conditioning coach with a promotion to director of football operations. DJ Durkin is rumored to become the assistant defensive coordinator.

I am all for Urban's coaching revival, but I do not want him taking Marotti, and I hope his team is not under NCAA sanctions.
Now, see? YOU are a whole lot more "generous-of-spirit" than I, my friend: He takes Marotti, uses his up-'til-now tenuous, "figure-head", still-got-an-office connection with the Gators to raid our staff, and THAT'S IT! As far as I'm concerned, from that point on I hope there are MORE hidden skeletons revealed in the Buckeye-closet, that it turns out belatedly that he's the coach of a team with sanctions so deep they are reduced to second-tier Big Ten for a DECADE! (Truth is, I hadn't thought of this--and I SHOULD have: Urban Meyer is no fool, and if there is one thing he knows for sure by now, it is that he NEEDS all the help around him he can GET...I guess I'd like to THINK Mickey is a Gator and would stay, but maybe not...Durkin would be a loss, and definitely shake, and possibly SHIFT, some recruits' otherwise solid commitments to becoming Gators next year. THIS could knock Muschamp & Co. off their otherwise straight-line course to a stunner of a coming recruiting-class, and in turn resulting success in the next couple of years.
SH*T!!! Not enough that all pretense of loyalty, honor and prior promises go out the window in an avalanche of real-world greed and selfishness, this phony weasel is going to make SURE he SCREWS THE GATORS on his way out the last door--and THAT I cannot abide! (The worst part of it may be that it all sort of makes the feeble trolls who have been attacking Meyer as a phony and a sleaze all these years may turn out to be right after all, at least on this one point...Oh well, "even a broken clock is right twice a day", right?)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema