• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tebow or Wuerffel?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Tebow. By far. Even if he loses the Sugar Bowl I would put Tebow ahead of Wuerffel. That says a lot, since I have been sporting a #7 jersey since 1995, even this year while everyone else is wearing #15.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Why do you guys think Tebow is so much better?

Before this year, I would've agreed with you, but Tebow regressed big-time this year. He never really looked as good this year as he did his first 3 years. He imo took a step back this year. And he will not finish with another Heisman or NC.

To me at least, it makes Wuerrfel's 4 SEC championships stand out a lot more. They both won the same amount of Heisman's and NC's as starters, but Tebow only has 1 SEC title as a starter.

here is my look on things from a stats view.
Wuerffel:
Pass Attempts: 1,170
Pass Yards: 10,875
Passing TD's: 114
INT: 42
Hesimans: 1
Other major awards: 7
National Championships: 1
SEC Championships: 4 (3 as a starter)

Tebow:
Pass Attempts: 925
Pass Yards: 8,457
Passing TD's: 84
Rushing TD's: 56
INT: 15
Hesimans: 1
Other major awards: 6
National Championships: 2 (1 as a starter)
SEC Championships: 2 (1 as a starter)

Now what I didn't account for are the amount of records each holds. My guess is that is pretty close, Wuerffel has more passing records, Tebow has more rushing records. Wuerffel has Tebow beat in 5 of the stats up top. The only ones Tebow has the edge is INT's but he fewer pass attempts, Rushing TD's and National Championships. From a stats aspect I give it to Wuerffel from a overall affect on a team and on fans I give it to Tebow. But at the same time why bother comparing they were both great Gator's and will never be forgotten as Gator's!!!!!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Who had the better Gator career?

At this point, I still think it's Wuerffel.

I detect your favoritism for anything Spurrier-related here; I'm with the consensus in saying that Tebow has overshadowed Wuerffel based on what he's accomplished over his four years and the records he has set/tied/broken.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I detect your favoritism for anything Spurrier-related here; I'm with the consensus in saying that Tebow has overshadowed Wuerffel based on what he's accomplished over his four years and the records he has set/tied/broken.

Yes, I have a slight favoritism for the Spurrier era. That being said, I think the legend of Tebow (him being compared to Superman, the Chuck Norris jokes, being so highly touted even as a recruit) had just as big an impact on making him larger than the program as his play on the field.

To break down his career, he was a backup in 2006 when we won. A critical part of that team no doubt, but he was a backup nonetheless and it was Leak's team. In 2007 and 2008, he had great seasons. In 2009, he regressed and didn't play nearly as well. You guys are saying the greatest QB of all-time at UF was a backup for his first year, played great for the next 2 years, and then slumped his final year?

Again, I don't see what the rest of you see that makes Tebow far above Wuerffel as a QB. While Tebow was the better runner, Wuerffel was the better passer, and they both were outstanding leaders and young men. Wuerffel seems to have been overshadowed as the years go by and I get the feeling many today consider him just another old-timer among UF quarterbacks.

ShortBus

VIP Member
Yes, I have a slight favoritism for the Spurrier era. That being said, I think the legend of Tebow (him being compared to Superman, the Chuck Norris jokes, being so highly touted even as a recruit) had just as big an impact on making him larger than the program as his play on the field.

To break down his career, he was a backup in 2006 when we won. A critical part of that team no doubt, but he was a backup nonetheless and it was Leak's team. In 2007 and 2008, he had great seasons. In 2009, he regressed and didn't play nearly as well. You guys are saying the greatest QB of all-time at UF was a backup for his first year, played great for the next 2 years, and then slumped his final year?

Again, I don't see what the rest of you see that makes Tebow far above Wuerffel as a QB. While Tebow was the better runner, Wuerffel was the better passer, and they both were outstanding leaders and young men. Wuerffel seems to have been overshadowed as the years go by and I get the feeling many today consider him just another old-timer among UF quarterbacks.

the one thing the stats won't show is tebow's ability to carry the team on his back and will them to victories..

also how many times did u see wuerffel take on 5 tacklers into the endzone? how about lower his shoulders and go head first into a tackler? i love wuerffel and think he is an all time great, no doubt about it. But I would pick Tebow over Wuerffel.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
This is a very tough debate. It's hard to use stats to compare these two players because they played in completely different offenses. Tebow has more rushing touchdowns and fewer interceptions, but Danny has more passing yards and passing touchdowns.

I think Danny's 4 SEC Titles is something we may never see repeated - at least not for a long time. But I think where Tim separates himself is with the intangibles. The fire/passion he brings to ever play. The way he ignites the fan base. The leadership - everything.

I would give Tim a slight edge.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Tim Tebow is an inflection point in history, a one of a kind man that we may never see again. Danny Wuerffel was a very good QB and champion, but his persona did not transcend the game like Tebow's. All those Tebow intangibles cannot be measured in statistics.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
the one thing the stats won't show is tebow's ability to carry the team on his back and will them to victories..

also how many times did u see wuerffel take on 5 tacklers into the endzone? how about lower his shoulders and go head first into a tackler? i love wuerffel and think he is an all time great, no doubt about it. But I would pick Tebow over Wuerffel.
Tebow would've run over those 5 defenders, Wuerffel would've floated a perfect pass over them. Either way, the job got done.

wuerffel had one of the best receiving corps ive ever seen

he could just toss it up and anthony, green, and hilliard would get under it

No doubt Wuerffel had a great receiving corps. However, Tebow shared the field with probably the most athletic football player at UF (Harvin) since Wes Chandler in the 70s. So it balances out. Tebow was certainly surrounded by great players as well.

Tim Tebow is an inflection point in history, a one of a kind man that we may never see again. Danny Wuerffel was a very good QB and champion, but his persona did not transcend the game like Tebow's. All those Tebow intangibles cannot be measured in statistics.
I think this is in large part because Tebow was a fiery leader, whereas Wuerffel didn't say as much. Both styles of leadership work, but the first style tends to get a lot more attention.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Tebow would've run over those 5 defenders, Wuerffel would've floated a perfect pass over them. Either way, the job got done.

No doubt Wuerffel had a great receiving corps. However, Tebow shared the field with probably the most athletic football player at UF (Harvin) since Wes Chandler in the 70s. So it balances out. Tebow was certainly surrounded by great players as well.

I think this is in large part because Tebow was a fiery leader, whereas Wuerffel didn't say as much. Both styles of leadership work, but the first style tends to get a lot more attention.

Based on what you've posted here they're pretty much on a par, but as far as an all-around player Tebow has the edge.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Based on what you've posted here they're pretty much on a par, but as far as an all-around player Tebow has the edge.

No, I still think Wuerffel holds a slight edge over Tebow. They both have a Heisman and a NC as a starter, but imo Wuerffel's SEC championships give him the edge in my book over Tebow's extra NC that was won while Leak was the starter.

Those points were mostly addressed at people who vote Tebow as better because of intangibles and/or leadership.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
No, I still think Wuerffel holds a slight edge over Tebow. They both have a Heisman and a NC as a starter, but imo Wuerffel's SEC championships give him the edge in my book over Tebow's extra NC that was won while Leak was the starter.

Those points were mostly addressed at people who vote Tebow as better because of intangibles and/or leadership.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Again, your bias towards anything Spurrier is speaking here.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Sorry, but I must disagree. Again, your bias towards anything Spurrier is speaking here.
Earlier you said that "Tebow has overshadowed Wuerffel based on what he's accomplished over his four years and the records he has set/tied/broken."

Wuerffel still has the SEC record for TD's for both a season and a career. For his career, Wuerffel threw for 114 TD's. Just for comparison, the next closest quarterback (Peyton Manning) is twenty-five TD's behind him at 89.

The only accomplishments Tebow has over Wuerffel is the SEC record for career rushing TD's and the NC he won as a backup. And while the rushing record is remarkable, let's not forget he played for 4 years and Herschel Walker only played for 3.

Additionally, for all this talk about Tebow's intangibles and his leadership, Tebow only has a very small advantage in overall record, and doesn't have as good a SEC record as Wuerffel. So aside from that 2006 title he won as a backup, I don't see a real reason why Tebow is better other than the so-called intangibles many people keep saying, which imo a large part of is due to the fact that Tebow was simply a more vocal leader than Wuerffel

And while the rushing record is remarkable, let's not forget he played for 4 years and Herschel Walker only played for 3.

Ok I think nothing makes me more mad than hearing this. First off it's not Tebow's fault that Walker only played 3 years that was his choice. Now I am not saying that what Walker did wasn't impressive because it was very impressive. I also hear that Walker had 5 TD's in bowl games that didn't count. So add those 5 in and he has 54 TD's, Tebow has 56 with one game to go, so he still has the record. Just throwing that out there.

ShortBus

VIP Member
Let's not forget even As a "backup" he was an integral part of our offense. Without him I doubt we win that nc. So don't say he didn't earn his part of that first ring. You're making it sound like he had nothing to do with it and it doesn't count.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema