• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 6: #22 Florida Gators 27 vs #5 LSU Tigers 19, October 6, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
October 6, 2028 at 3:30 P.M. ET. on CBS, Sirius 105, XM 190, and WRUF online.

CBS Crew:
The #22 Florida Gators (4-1, 2-1) host the #5 LSU Tigers (5-0, 2-0) for Tim Tebow Day in honor of the 10th anniversary of the 2008 national championship team! LSU will be favored by 3 having won two games in the Swamp over the past four years. The spread is 45 points. Louis Murphy is “Mr. Two Bits”: https://twitter.com/murph918

The Gators and the Tigers match up closely in terms of statistical performance:
HTML:
Offense Category| Florida | LSU
Points per game |   48    | 30
Yards per play  |   28    | 59
Yards per pass  |   65    | 56
Yards per rush  |   18    | 48

Florida has an edge on points per game due to the games against Charleston Southern and Colorado State. Florida has a few explosive plays against lesser talent, especially with rushing. Feleipe Franks will need to contribute some explosive plays through the air if the Gators want to be taken seriously.

HTML:
Defense Category| Florida | LSU
Points per game |   10    | 16
Yards per play  |   26    | 38
Yards per pass  |   31    | 29
Yards per rush  |   50    | 36

Defensively, both teams lay claim to the title of #DBU, but they are both ranked about the same in terms of defensive yards per pass. Florida is the overall #2 pass defense.

HTML:
Opp | Florida | LSU
FPI |   57.3  | 35.5
YPP |   60.0  | 61.5
YPPA|   61.0  | 43.3

Florida and LSU each have an FCS opponent to help pad the statistics, but Florida racked up significant offensive stats against weaker teams. LSU has weaker defensive stats, but they have played stronger teams.

HTML:
Unit    | EP | EPP | PPEP
LSU     | 22 | 20 | 5.0
LSU opp | 19 | 11 | 2.7
UF      | 19 | 18 | 5.6
UF opp  | 17 | 8 | 2.9

This game will come down to Feleipe Franks adding an explosive play, but taking care of the ball. In most other facets of this matchup the Gators and Tigers are going to neutralize one another.

I call this game 21-17, Tigers unless Franks steps up.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have already confessed my sin--having caved-into the tensed-gut-level inclination to go beyond logic, transcend the "armor of objective practicality", to let myself CARE...and admit that I just REALLY WANNA WIN THIS ONE.
If I could, I'd be IN The Swamp Saturday, in Royal Gator Blue head to, well, toes-only covered in my Gator High Tops (these are Converse from a coupla years back...But I am waiting for the Jordans-version that progam folks all have only recently gotten access to. (That's right: I would forgo what is always a fun weekend--even better to get PAID for, btw--the first of two weekends shooting full-access digital 35mm "film" at ACL, if only I could be there live for this game, as it turns out: Best I could manage was to "delegate" most of my Sat aft responsibilities, shifting as much as I could to the evening performances--and letting NFL fans among colleagues make the same "unofficial shirking-deals" with me to lighten THEIR loads SUNDAYS instead ...LOL ="Red River Rivalry" day, that's the sports buzz here in "da ATX", so both locals AND CA folks, not to mention bands, fans and roadies from throughout the land ALL more or less EXPECTING a certain amount of this sort of "distraction" in what is, finally, a college football town).
..."SEC NOW" on in background: Chiszic's picking "LSU BIG today"--but he's a bit of an idiot (eg. called Muschamp a "mastermind" earlier), tends to consistently pick wrong--so that's actually GOOD news...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dawn in Zilker Park. Little cool (that's why C'n'C kept moving it later into the Fall over the first few years--days are generally too hot and dusty in Sept, before rains: it'll hit the mid-80s today, more like 95+ around the main stages)--my last few "relaxed moments", back against a tree trunk with my coffee. Noticeably prominant in my blue sleeveless Gator shirt among already lots of burnt orange. Strange/funny: Not a lot of Astros shirts so far, been noting: World Champions, ahead in their playoff series, BUT...well, Hill Country more "Rangers"-territory, I think. Be interesting to see how crowd-style breaks it down...May take a "t-shirt Poll" as day goes on.
Trying to stay calm, positive--stay frosty, "Maintain an even strain", as we used to say. Yeah right. I was sunk the moment I admitted to MYSELF how much I wanted this one.
So "EAT 'EM UP, BOYZ! GO GATORS!!!"
Talk to y'all later, as day goes on.

PS Not sure how communications will go here this afternoon: We're already running into difficulties with phones and wifi: The microwave towers are all WAY overloaded by all the thousands of extra users making simultaneous demands on the system in phoning and especially TEXTING each other, home etc, ALL OVER TOWN, but especially as you get closer to Zilker Park/Barton Springs--Well, I'm not even sure I'll be able to "do what we do" come mid-aft here in the park at ACL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
***NOTE--APOLOGY ALERT***

Can't help but notice that maybe my "always a big day professionally"-thing, PLUS my surrendering to this unexpectedly early flare-up of my long-standing case of GatorConsumption, have clearly combined to throw off my sense of "proper priorities"...
So I apologize for blundering off into a lot of stuff COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to Gator football, let alone this particular GAME!
I almost just wiped it all-- except the technical problems may rear up regardless, AND it is JUST as likely, with all the stress factors (from work AND game) I'll end up busting out with God-knows-WHAT at some point later ANYWAY!!!
So I ask patience and forebearance: We ALL have our lives, stressors and complications, SATURDAYS are (ideally) part of what helps us to ESCAPE all that, and am sorry for being so self-absorbed.
Will TRY to stick to the "Football Facts" and "Gator Guts" etc rest of the way...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What are y'all MORE sick of:
Benny Snell/"Snell, yeah!", "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME..."-thing???
OR
The whole Will Grier/Heisman front-runner/louder n louder and more insistent in way it is trumpeted each weekend-thing? (AND then there is the CONTEXT: How his own dumbass moves and our EVEN BIGGER DUMBASSED, completely dissassociative EX-Coach missed it, seemed to miss EVERYTHING going on around him and in his own locker room--too busy makin' stuff UP?...And once again us being left thinking about the "What-IFs???!!!".
(I mean, we'll GET there, but can you SEE the story had Mullens come in and been able to build his first offense here around a Heisman candidate QB?... The whole "repeat history"-thing would be in DEEP play by now...etc etc etc...
NOT that I really mind, or won't all of us enjoy even MORE the way it is possibly setting up to play out--clean house, THEN BUILD BACK PROPERLY--but the QB part of all that is so fragile, chancy, so HARD TO get right at ALL, let alone be "timed just right"...and all that is getting HARDER now, if anything, with the "new red shirt rules" and how they actually are used/applied.
(Don't wanna get bogged down in all that here and now--but DO wanna say that the way things are stacked AGAINST players to start with, I don't begrudge them this "freeing factor"...and anyway, we'll see how COACHES ACTUALLY work with the players, the program and The Rules:
You watch--the good ones, the SMART ones, will if anything minimize, maybe even draw ADVANTAGE from it somehow.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not that Franks is a BAD QB--and he IS "getting better", learning and growing each week...but quickly enough? And though he has the skills, does he have the "mind and spirit" needed? We at UF know all ABOUT, have seen far too MUCH of "practice-field stars" these last few years.
Long range, I just don't know...I THINK our Coach EXPECTS to have him (best case scenario, from where he was starting when he got here) as his starter well into NEXT season, barring injury; Personally, I sure wouldn't mind some sort of "QB controversy" by next year, courtesy (ideally) of the kid-on-the-bench blossoming more quickly than expected.
But for now, as of THIS week we appear to have a "competent young guy moving comfortably into the 'game manager'-role out there" now--and you KNOW our Head Coach will have a theoretically well-designed gameplan for him to run. Grantham has the D starting to hit its stride, special teams look sharp, and our fans should show up OLD-style this time.
I don't know how it'll all play out--but Coaching, crowd and our playmakers CAN make the difference...The Gameday Crew at ESPN seem to be uniformly picking LSU in a close, DEfensive struggle--the general "smart money" I gather (I mean, they all have LSU a serious "Number Five in The NATION", no less--but I don't see it).
So I WON'T "PICK" here: No, I will NOT pick AGAINST our Gators. Not here. Not now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Y'all hear about our equipment truck burning UP on way back to G-ville after MSU game??? Our "Equipment Director" and his staff basically remeasured/reEQUIPPED the whole team "on the run/in BETWEEN" everytbing involved in the normal routine of the week of practice before a HUGE HOME GAME.
Got it DONE seamlessly, it seems..."Not an issue--aside from fact that it happened!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, got work to do...and frankly, not a moment to soon: I am starting to get that "antsy" feeling from not being able to do anything but LISTEN AND WATCH the commentary more than 4 hours before kickoff...Even though it's all the people now I normally WANT to listen to--Tebow, Mullens, assorted ex-Gator broadcasters out there singing "Won't Back Down" with the morning crowd out near Gator Walk...I hear it's a Swamp sell-out, 1st in 3 years--now they gotta go out there and just "leave it on the field", along with the players.
But before bowing out until (hopefully) sometime around kickoff, lotta talk about "hot n humid" weather in SEC this weekend...Not a particular advantage to ANY SEC team in and of itself, not when their SEC opponent is also pretty used to this. But we are just NOW hearing long-rumbling thunder not far off here in Austin--which COULD complicate OUR thing. But never mind. Crowds streaming in now, pregame hype from State Fairgrounds/Cotton Bowl up the highway in Dallas echowing through PAs throughout grounds here now.

awebbf5

VIP Member
It's a big day for us in gator nation , honoring the 08 team, tebow in the ring of honor, but let's just remember that this team is still growing. A win would be nice but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Escambia94

It's a big day for us in gator nation , honoring the 08 team, tebow in the ring of honor, but let's just remember that this team is still growing. A win would be nice but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Agreed. LSU has a lot more talent than Florida right now. Florida might be ahead of schedule, but they have a ways to go.

Escambia94

Coach Mullen looks sharp on camera!
IMG_20181006_102039543.jpg

Escambia94

Tim Tebow has some great advice for Feleipe Franks: take the easy throws to the check down receiver, especially against LSU. Coach Mullen does not confirm the advice, but I hope this is the plan. Get the LSU defense to crowd the box, so Franks has wider openings to throw into.
IMG_20181006_102016425.jpg

Last edited:

Escambia94

Marcus Spears predicts his LSU Tigers to prevail. Paul Finebaum and Tim Tebow agree that Florida will upset LSU. Laura Rutledge did not give her pick, we all know she is rooting for her hometown Florida Gators!

Les Miles has to wear a Florida Gator visor if the Gators win. Steve Spurrier has to eat grass if the Tigers win.
IMG_20181006_091229385_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damn. Just finally got a look in at our game--just in time for an easy LSU TD.
Sigh. Was it ALL that easy? Wtf?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Big celebration here: UT won game they looked to have blown after collapse with big lead in 4th qtr.
Last thing WE want is a "shoot out" with this LSU squad. I just figure Franks reverts to his "uneven, panicky mode" if put in that position.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna take a full game, fully composed from him if ee are to hang in, eventually BEAT these guys.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh oh. If we can't give him time, worst case scenario far as bringomg out "the OLD Phillipe"...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yup, our QB throws it WAY inaccurately there--not even CLOSE to where it needs to be thrown.
Um, gonna be "in and out" here for a while. Game could be out of hand by the time I can give it some real attention here; this really IS shaping up as a "worst case scenario" for us early here. Wish we had a REAL "2nd choice" at QB, for one thing--you can SEE young Mr Franks is off his game today... Only our D can save us now, and they are on their heels already. AGAIN. We either get this turned around NOW, or we get BURIED in the first quarter.
There! Fumble! OK: Cash it in and lets get this even!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema