• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Florida State @ Florida - 11/26

Florida Gators -

• win big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lose in a close match

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Here it is. The game of the year for the mighty Gators. The Gators lead the all-time series at 33-20-2, but we can safely throw that record out the window. At 6-5 overall, 3-5 in the best darn conference in the land, the Gators have suffered through a disappointing season of injuries. In the last game of the season, the Boys from Old Florida have a chance at redemption in a game that nobody outside the Sunshine State cares about since neither team is ranked.

Here is how the 6-5 Gators may line up in their Charlie Weis, modified Patriot offense, which is currently averaging 182.3 YPG passing, 155 YPG rushing, 24.6 PPG (#82 in NCAA):
QB 12 J. Brantley, 6-3, 212, RSr, 2V
TB 28 Jeff Demps | 5-7, 191, Sr., 3V
TB 1 Chris Rainey | 5-9, 174, Sr., 3V
WR 4 A. Debose | 5-11, 191, So., RS
WR 85 F. Hammond| 6-1, 184, Jr., 2V
TE 11 Jordan Reed | 6-3, 239, So., RS
OT 73 X. Nixon | 6-6, 292, Jr., 2V
OT 75 Chaz Green | 6-5, 306, Fr., RS
OG 56 D. Wenger | 6-3, 294, Sr., TR
OG 67 Jon Halapio | 6-3, 324, So., RS
C 72 J. Harrison | 6-3, 295, So., RS

Here is how Dan Quinn's #20, hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense may line up:
DE 4 Sharrif Floyd | 6-3, 295, So., 1V
DE 7 Ro. Powell | 6-4, 248, So., 1V
DT 2 D. Easley | 6-2, 282, So., 1V
DT 6 Jaye Howard | 6-3, 303, Sr., RS
LB 34 L. McCray | 6-2, 246, Jr., 2V
LB 3 J. Jenkins | 6-0, 230, So., RS
LB 52 Jon Bostic | 6-1, 243, Jr., 2V
CB 5 M. Roberson | 6-0, 184, Fr., HS
CB 31 Cody Riggs | 5-9, 179, So., 1V
S 22 Matt Elam | 5-10, 206, So., 1V
S 26 Pop Saunders | 5-8, 192, Fr., HS

We say goodbye to these seniors, who have been a part of two national championships:
1 RB Chris Rainey 5-9 174 of Lakeland, FL
6 DT Jaye Howard 6-3 303 of Apopka, FL
6 WR Deonte Thompson 6-0 200 of Belle Glade, FL
12 QB John Brantley 6-3 219 of Ocala, Florida
28 RB Jeff Demps 5-7 191 of Winter Garden, FL
29 WR Solomon Schoonover 6-3 224 of Aventura, FL
31 CB Brian Biada 5-10 179 of Naples, FL
33 LB Minch Minchin 6-2 198 of Gainesville, FL
34 FB Jason Traylor 5-10 233 of Melbourne, FL
36 CB Moses Jenkins 6-3 186 of Ft Lauderdale, FL
40 P David Lerner 6-0 194 of Gainesville, FL
50 LS Cody Hampton 5-11 217 of St. Petersburg, FL
56 C Dan Wenger 6-3 294 of Coral Springs, FL
66 G James Wilson 6-4 334 of St. Augustine, FL
87 TE William Steinmann6-5 268 of Daytona Beach, FL
96 DE William Green 6-4 256 of Hoover, AL
98 K Zack Brust 6-1 191 of Jacksonville, FL

Now, scouting out the enemy:
QB 3 EJ Manuel | 6-5, 245, Jr., RS
TB 8 Devonta Freeman | 5-8, 200, Fr., 1V
FB 24 Lonnie Pryor | 6-0, 228, Jr., 2V
WR 83 Bert Reed | 5-11, 175, Sr., RS
WR 84 Rodney Smith | 6-6, 216, Jr., 2V
TE 88 Beau Reliford | 6-6, 270, Sr., 3V
OT 77 Zebrie Sanders | 6-6, 307, Sr., 3V
OT 51 Bobby Hart | 6-4, 283, Fr.,
OG 60 Jacob Fahrenkrug | 6-4, 315, Jr.,
OG 76 Garrett Faircloth | 6-7, 295, So., RS
C 2 Bryan Stork | 6-4, 295, So., RS

EJ Manuel is a scrambling threat, but rarely does he venture across the line of scrimmage. He gets his long passing yards and completes nearly 70% of his passes by scrambling outside the pocket and keeping the play alive. As long as the Gator secondary remains disciplined and sticks to their assignments until the whistle is blown, the Gators should be able to contain an error-prone Manuel. Manuel completes less than half of his passes when he is contained in the pocket and has to throw at his streaking receivers against equally fast defenders. The Seminoles tend to do well when they convert 1st downs early, and tend to lose games they are forced into 3rd and long. The Gator secondary does well when they are not tired from being on the field all day. Seminole WR Bert Reed will do his best to tire out the Gators and give Manuel a chance to beat us with the deep ball. Be on the lookout against a resurgent Seminole running game.

Here is the Seminole defense:

DE 49 Brandon Jenkins | 6-3, 267, Jr., 2V
DE 95 Bjoern Werner | 6-4, 273, So.,
DT 8 Timmy Jernigan | 6-2, 300, Fr.,
DT 93 Everett Dawkins | 6-2, 295, Jr.,
LB 13 Nigel Bradham | 6-3, 240, Sr., 3V
LB 7 Christian Jones | 6-4, 236, So.,
LB 11 Vince Williams | 6-1, 245, Jr.,
CB 5 Greg Reid | 5-8, 185, Jr., 2V
CB 27 Xavier Rhodes | 6-2, 215, So.,
S 4 Terrance Parks | 6-2, 218, Sr., 4V
S 20 Lamarcus Joyner | 5-8, 202, So.,

Sadly, this Seminole defense is well-matched against the Gator offense. They are every bit as fast as our offense, and every bit as undisciplined as our defense. Both teams will fight for the honor of having the most penalties in this game. I have a feeling that the Seminole defense is less afraid of being nasty and mean and using those penalties to frustrate the Gators. As is the case with most of these rivalry games, I would expect a few blatant fouls, and key injuries as opponents are targeted for pain. The Noles let it be known that they tried their hardest to hurt Tim Tebow years ago. Brantley had better watch out, as should the smaller Demps and Rainey.

Logic says that the Gators will continue their streak of losing to teams that have been ranked. Most would say that FSU can be compared to Georgia in terms of talent, speed, depth and rivalry factor, and Florida lost to Georgia 20-24. Some would even compare FSU to South Carolina, whom the Gators lost to 12-17. The difference is that these games are rarely close when the teams are closely matched. Who wants it more? The Gators who want to send out their seniors out with redemption. The Noles want to assert that "they are back" and gain a leg up at in-state recruiting with a win. The only ramifications to this game are bowl game selections. The Gators are seemingly destined for the Gator Bowl, but could get promoted to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl with an impressive win (unlikely for the bowl selection committee to do so, but it is remotely possible).

Wearing the orange and blue glasses, I think the Gators will win this one 17-10. I think Furman showed the Gators that they can get into a come-from-behind shootout and prevail by channeling their inner Tim Tebow.

My keys to the game:
  • Defensive front needs to contain EJ Manuel
  • Brantley needs to air it out in order to open up running lanes
  • The offensive line needs to keep Brantley vertical
  • Demps and Rainey need to have career days
  • Win the turnover battle
  • Don't suck, despite getting blown off the line of scrimmage

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm gonna vote AFTER I write this. I really don't know HOW I think OR feel it'll turn out, and it is entirely possible I'll talk myself into or out of something in the course of typing in this comment.
As usual, my HEAD has little argument with your facts'n'stats, E-: well collected, organized, analyzed and interpreted for us as always, man. Your logic makes a kind of "near-inevitable"-sense--which of course is the one thing my "cynical-gut" has trouble counting on by now. The "close-win scenario" is the one I WANT to believe in--which SHOULD yank me back from the precipice of "hope", at least this year, BUT--it's the last game of a disappointing year, as you say, and THESE 'Noles have shown little more than the other teams we "shoulda" beaten since back-to-back-best-in-the-land took Brantley, followed by most of our illusions, from us in early October. Anyway, I have this silly superstitious aversion to picking against my Gators when it really matters, even when I know better--and this time I don't "know" anything of the sort. We're more banged up than they are (we're more banged up than ANYBODY, I figure), and I haven't liked a whole lot of what I've seen of this particular Gator team "at their best", but we've been "close" a bunch of times against supposedly "decent" SEC-teams, and the way I see it, we're DUE.
See? I managed to find out how I FEEL about this game--or at least convinced myself how I should vote. There. Done.

(By the way, on a side note: Since when do we need an "Official" Game Day Thread? Unless someone somehow sees fit to start one, for God-knows-what-obscure-or-obsessive-reason, we'll go from here, right? We've still got that "Pregame"-thread for miscellaneous stuff, anything that somehow "doesn't fit" over here for the next 8 hours or so (as of this moment, it is 8 hrs. and 54 min. at least until the game-telecast begins); little early to put it up, maybe, but here it is, when the time comes...)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I don't know how this game can go. Depends how movitated this Gator team is which seems like the biggest question mark because it seems the coach Muschomp has more fire than the whole team. I think the Noles will pissed off from losing the way they did especially the defense meaning watch out Brantley. The offense needs to score points or else.

Escambia94

Walking around San Antonio in my Gator gear, I ran across more Nole fans than in the past here in the Alamo City. This is my last year here, so I hope to leave here shutting up the dadgum Nole fans. My faith in this team had been sadly shaken, but I cannot bring myself to rooting against my team or predicting a loss. After having a Nole fan cut me off on the highway (I ignored him, but the kids tell me he was doing the tomahawk chop), I really want the Gators to crush them by two touchdowns. Can this Gator team do it? We shall see. Doubt it. Would be nice.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I've got to agree one hundred percent with you LF. This team we got is something else for sure. You just never know when they will show up. I hope they show tonight. Not just for us but for themselves. They've been beaten down, steeped on , wrote off. But like my wife told me one time It's never to late to change your course. This tonight would be a good start. I'm even going to throw this out there If they fight the whole game for the common goal and come up shy I will be happy. But if they do that they just might surprise themselves and pull out the win. Yes I said it..... THE WIN......If pissed off helps they should be wearing the crown tonight with how (I think) they've let themselves, The Coaches, and The Fans down this year. But for what it is worth I BELIEVE they can do it as a Team effort. Not with the ME's when been seeing all season.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I just voted E. Yes its a close one from where I'm sitting but I think our boys have got the goods if they produce them. We will see. As for the FSU Dummy don't worry my FB Page is full of their wishes. My teams I DISLIKE MOST is GA, FSU, and Ala. I hope I get to see one of them go down.........GO GATORS.

Escambia94

Just like I said last year-- there is losing, and there is being a loser. As long as the Gators look like they are trying and do not look stupid, I will be happy.

Last year, WTH was wrong with their cleats where the Gators were falling down all the time? They looked like losers. Earlier in the year against LSU they let a punter embarrass the crap out of us. Losers. Rainey crying about being bumped into during a punt fair catch. Loser. Coach Muschamp blowing his top, wasting a time out, and still chewing out a ref. Loser. Snapping the ball into the end zone against Furman. Loser. Letting ****ing Furman embarrass us! Loser. Being ranked 105 in penalties. Loser.

For crying out loud, Gators! Get up and go! Take back the Swamp!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know how this game can go. Depends how movitated this Gator team is which seems like the biggest question mark because it seems the coach Muschomp has more fire than the whole team. I think the Noles will pissed off from losing the way they did especially the defense meaning watch out Brantley. The offense needs to score points or else.
I hope they ARE "pissed off", goin' after our guys, and all--makes 'em sloppy, careless, maybe even penalty- and turnover-generous--at the very least, distracted from what ought to be their real concern: simply and coldly concentrating on beating a rival who on paper has similar talent, and on balance should be just as motivated to win as they are.
I think you're dead right about the offense: our "D" has been keeping us more than just "in" these close ones the last 4-to-6 weeks--they have worn down and let the other team run over and thru' them late in games, but even that has been a "gift"
from an offense that did so little (on the field AND on the clock), to at least some extent. No doubt about it though: that offense damn well BETTER score points this time out if we're to win this one..."Or else".

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Just like I said last year-- there is losing, and there is being a loser. As long as the Gators look like they are trying and do not look stupid, I will be happy.

Last year, WTH was wrong with their cleats where the Gators were falling down all the time? They looked like losers. Earlier in the year against LSU they let a punter embarrass the crap out of us. Losers. Rainey crying about being bumped into during a punt fair catch. Loser. Coach Muschamp blowing his top, wasting a time out, and still chewing out a ref. Loser. Snapping the ball into the end zone against Furman. Loser. Letting ****ing Furman embarrass us! Loser. Being ranked 105 in penalties. Loser.

For crying out loud, Gators! Get up and go! Take back the Swamp!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!1

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
9 minutes to kick-off. Aw, DAMN. I went and let myself start getting worked up and excited about this one...Worse, I actually have begun to dare hope we might WIN it! Why'd I go and do a fool thing like THAT?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Are you listening to these "unbiased" announcers? I don't think I can watch this game with the sound up on their call--but the RUF-feed is about 3 seconds-delayed from it, so THAT doesn't work,,,
There should be an anti-Warchant-rule in the Swamp...long one again to start, This looks like a 3-and-out series to start...NOW a Delay-of-game penalty on US...oh oh, we look out-of-sync in our own house again.
Look out: they have it at mid-field now, too. We are sucking right from the start...

Escambia94

I hope the defense keeps working them silly. I got my 12 year old watching. Come on Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--stop. Gonna be bad field pos...at our 12.
We have GOT to do something with the crowd-advantage, the big-buzz early here, or they'll slowly take over...I'm sorry, but I am starting to see certain tendencies in our offense every week--in both play ca;;ing AND overall attitude/approach. If Weis can't come up with an imaginative gameplan , with or without "the horse" he needs to run his preferred offense, I will begin to question his readiness for this job after all. SH*T! TERRIBLE THROW!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here we go. THIS is what we CAN'T do, obviously. They score a TD here, I will be gone shortly...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema