• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl

KYGATOR

Gator Fan
Can't be good. I bet it is cancer. My prayers is already with the guy. Anyone have an address for him?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Whether it's cancer or anything else, he earned a retirement. Thanks, Coach, for all you have done. Now, who is the next coach to lead us to greatness? I hear Cheeseburger Charlie is available.

GatorGal15

VIP Member
Wow. This is crazy. Prayers go to Urban, Shelly and the whole Meyer family. He has to do what is best for him and his family!

I have no idea who is going to be the next coach..

Go Bama

Gator Fan
Wow!!! I really hate to hear this. I hope it's not a health issue. What a great coach he's been. Pure class act.

JvilleJohnny

i was extremely distraught when i heard this watching the car care bowl. ONE loss and everything falls apart. I don't know what is going on... But i understand that it was a very tough decision for Meyer, and health and family are number 1, and my prayers go to him and the Meyer family. Listening to the ESPN analysts talk, they all expect UM to come back in a year or two, pending more info on his health. And i heard them throw out a few names for replacements... such as Dan Mullen, the Stoops brothers, and Kyle Whittingham (replaced Meyer at Utah). I would love to have Dan Mullen back if possible. He still has a lot of connections to UF, and it wouldn't be a big transition for the players.

sbq80

VIP Member
Leaving the 'guessing' game about why he leaving & I hope he will be fine.

The guy who got screwed IMO is Charlie Strong.

ArkansasGator

Gator Fan
Prayers to the Meyer family. I am glad he is taking care of his health and not putting it off till later. We buried my 51 year old brother-in-law, because he ignored health warning signs. He kept putting the dr. visit off till another day.
Thanks Coach Meyer for all you have done for the Gator Nation.

GatorGal15

VIP Member
According to OGGOA:

Rumor:

ESPN’s Pat Forde: Former defensive coordinator Charlie Strong, who was just recently hired as the Louisville Cardinals head coach, has only signed a term sheet with the University of Louisville and not yet a contract.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
This sucks because Recruiting going to take a hit (maybe) and good luck keeping the twins and others who are planning to bolt for the NFL. Depending who gets the job. I'm sure Foley can work out something with Miss St. and/or Louisville to get Strong or Mullen back. Maybe hired Tony Dungy (OK it's a longshot). Well good luck to Urban Meyer and his family on the future, like to see him stay but it's good he's listening to his health and I'm sure he'll do speaking engagements among other things.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I wonder if Charlie Strong knew about this before he took the Louisville job. If he comes back to UF, I guess not?

Wow, this is all stunning...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
... such as Dan Mullen, the Stoops brothers, and Kyle Whittingham (replaced Meyer at Utah). I would love to have Dan Mullen back if possible. He still has a lot of connections to UF, and it wouldn't be a big transition for the players.

Dan Mullen - Bringing him back would be nice, but it won't happen.
Bob Stoops - Bobby Stoops has Gator connection. This could work.
Kyle Whittingham - Maybe? I don't know much about his current contract.

Leakfan12;49017... I'm sure Foley can work out something with Miss St. and/or Louisville to get Strong or Mullen back. Maybe hired Tony Dungy (OK it's a longshot). Well good luck to Urban Meyer and his family on the future said:
Charlie Strong - I think it is possible, but it depends on what he has signed in Louisville.
Mike Shanahan - This could happen. He's a friend of Foley's, and has Gator connections.
Gary Patterson (TCU) - This might work. If you can't get a high-power, non-BCS team into the BCS championship, why not coach in a more traditional BCS power?

I am no expert, but I would like to see Gary Patterson, Charlie Strong, or Mike Shanahan as UF coach.

What do you guys think about Kerwin Bell as the next head coach?? He was John Brantley's high school coach so that would be a huge boost for him. Also is a former Gator so he knows the school and the how things work. He is coaching for Jacksonville University right now and he won the Pioneer championship this past season which is our SEC Championship. It could work. I think he would be a 3rd or 4th option behind Bob Stoops, Strong, or Mullen.

I would like us to make an offer to Kyle Whittingham. He soundly beat 'Bama in last year's Sugar Bowl, owns an overall 5-0 bowl record and he still runs Urban's system.

foley_boy

Gator Fan
Hey guys,
I'm a Bama fan which probably makes ME not have many fans here...but as much as I've hated Florida for the last...well...my whole life...I have gained over the past few years a HUGE amount of respect for Urban Meyer. When they first hired him I was one of the people laughing and scoffing and saying that the spread could never work in the SEC...which I'm sure you guys heard plenty of. But he did...he made it work and has been an amazing coach and the perfect picture of class. I hate to see what I thought was a budding rivalry between Saban & Meyer end this way. I for one am sad to see the guy go...I dont care if it does make it a bit easier for the rest of the SEC...it's a sad day not just for Florida but for the whole conference. Urban Meyer is as classy as it gets and I just wanted to come to a Gator board and send ya'll best wishes from a Bama fan whose been eating his words the past few years.

deansouthpaw

Gator Fan
Hey guys,
I'm a Bama fan which probably makes ME not have many fans here...but as much as I've hated Florida for the last...well...my whole life...I have gained over the past few years a HUGE amount of respect for Urban Meyer. When they first hired him I was one of the people laughing and scoffing and saying that the spread could never work in the SEC...which I'm sure you guys heard plenty of. But he did...he made it work and has been an amazing coach and the perfect picture of class. I hate to see what I thought was a budding rivalry between Saban & Meyer end this way. I for one am sad to see the guy go...I dont care if it does make it a bit easier for the rest of the SEC...it's a sad day not just for Florida but for the whole conference. Urban Meyer is as classy as it gets and I just wanted to come to a Gator board and send ya'll best wishes from a Bama fan whose been eating his words the past few years.

Thanks Bama fan. And as somebody that really hated Saban when he left Miami, I'm seeing that he's actually a very competitive but also classy person. I really wish, along with you, we could've seen this rivalry play out a lot more. But unfortunately, it was not meant to be.

And I know this is my first post here (I come here to read a lot of the articles and the knowledgeable users' posts), but I have to ask, why are we sitting here begging for so and so to be our new coach? I don't doubt that Florida will get a good hire, but right now I think it's time to reflect on the 5 amazing years that Coach Meyer gave us.

I'm not saying we shouldn't speculate as to who will be the new guns for hire, but I'm just surprised at a lot of the fans' reaction to this news. This really is terrible for Urban and his family, as this is what he wanted to do, coach football and win championships. I feel terrible for the guy and my prayers go out to him that his health will be okay.

I'm sorry, I just didn't think the first reaction to today's news would be "Sign _____ and sign _____ for coordinator!" I really can't think of who our new coach would be yet, because as of now, I'm really saddened by this news. Urban Meyer is a great coach, and hopefully he sticks around to help this team in some shape or form. I'm really going to miss having him on the sidelines. I can't express how much I appreciate all the hard work he put into this program.

As if this next game wasn't emotional enough...

P.S. I can't see how Cincy doesn't get blown out of the water now.

GATOR BAIT!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema