• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl

JvilleJohnny

He and Chris Petersen at BSU would be my first two choices.

Exactly what I just thought about, this may be the right job for Chris Petersen, and I would love to have Kyle Whittingham especially because he worked under Meyer.

What do you guys think about Kerwin Bell as the next head coach?? He was John Brantley's high school coach so that would be a huge boost for him. Also is a former Gator so he knows the school and the how things work. He is coaching for Jacksonville University right now and he won the Pioneer championship this past season which is our SEC Championship. It could work. I think he would be a 3rd or 4th option behind Bob Stoops, Strong, or Mullen.

I think Kerwin Bell would be awesome..I've had a chance to meet him at JU a couple of times and he has an amazing football/offensive mind.

but deansouthpaw is right.... we should be praising and thanking Meyer for all he has done for Gator Nation..and praying for his good health, as i know all of us are.

del monte

Gator Fan
jon gruden. he lives in florida, is good friends with jeremy foley, and has said he would come out of retirement if a job opened that intrest him. i veiw him as the #1 candidate

how bout we just get who ever wins the fiest bowl between tcu and boise st

chris peterson has great credentials(48-4, won bear bryant award first year as head coach)

and if TCU wins gary patterson has 2 wins on peterson in bowl games

really id be happy with either of these guys or the utah coach

Hogmaniac

Gator Fan
Prayers go out to Coach Urban and his family. What great things he's done for UF and the SEC.

I find it kinda hard to believe that this just came up with Urban, I would've thought that he would've discussed this situation with Charlie before he left.

I'm just very stunned even being a Razorback fan.

Good Luck and beat Cincy!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Prayers go out to Coach Urban and his family. What great things he's done for UF and the SEC.

I find it kinda hard to believe that this just came up with Urban, I would've thought that he would've discussed this situation with Charlie before he left.

I'm just very stunned even being a Razorback fan.

Good Luck and beat Cincy!

Charlie Strong deserves better. Without any real HC experience, Charlie could get eaten alive in the pressure cooker of UF. Strong needs to have his successes elsewhere before returning to Florida.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
First am foremost I am greatly saddned by Coach Meyer leaving UF. But, I completely understand the reasons behind it, your health has to come before career. I am very appreciative what Coach Meyer has brought to Gator Nation, not only in wins but in tradition and professionalism. (wins were great too)

I wish him and his family the absolute best in figuring out what is best for him and his health over the next few months and hope to see him coaching again soon.

As for a new possible head coach, I would love to see Gruden as our next coach for both his offensive and defensive mind and his contacts in the NFL. (defensive coordinator) I would also like Shanahan for the same reasons. If we cannot get these guys then I would agree that the TCU coach would be a nice fit.

Good Luck to the Meyer family and thank you Coach for the great memories.

castawaygator

VIP Member
my choices would be:
1: utah -would be a perfect fit
2: boisestate -he has an outstanding record with proven wins against bcs teams
3: MSU (Mullen) -probably will not come back, i think he will want to make a place for himself, not pick up after meyer same goes for (strong)
4: TCU -another proven contender
5: then start looking to the available NFL guys -wild cards but big names could bring in some good recruiting.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Thanks Bama fan. And as somebody that really hated Saban when he left Miami, I'm seeing that he's actually a very competitive but also classy person. I really wish, along with you, we could've seen this rivalry play out a lot more. But unfortunately, it was not meant to be.

And I know this is my first post here (I come here to read a lot of the articles and the knowledgeable users' posts), but I have to ask, why are we sitting here begging for so and so to be our new coach? I don't doubt that Florida will get a good hire, but right now I think it's time to reflect on the 5 amazing years that Coach Meyer gave us.

I'm not saying we shouldn't speculate as to who will be the new guns for hire, but I'm just surprised at a lot of the fans' reaction to this news. This really is terrible for Urban and his family, as this is what he wanted to do, coach football and win championships. I feel terrible for the guy and my prayers go out to him that his health will be okay.

I'm sorry, I just didn't think the first reaction to today's news would be "Sign _____ and sign _____ for coordinator!" I really can't think of who our new coach would be yet, because as of now, I'm really saddened by this news. Urban Meyer is a great coach, and hopefully he sticks around to help this team in some shape or form. I'm really going to miss having him on the sidelines. I can't express how much I appreciate all the hard work he put into this program.

As if this next game wasn't emotional enough...

P.S. I can't see how Cincy doesn't get blown out of the water now.

GATOR BAIT!

Excellent first post; I was also shocked and saddened to hear of Coach Meyer's resignation as well. He gave all his heart to Florida football and went above and beyond the level of his predecessors. I will always love Coach Meyer and be forever grateful to all he has done for Gator football - he is, and always will be, a Gator.

My prayers and best wishes go out to the Meyer family.

(As far as a choice for the next coach: I hope that Jeremy Foley goes after Bobby Stoops; he has a proven track record, he and Jeremy Foley have a good working relationship, and he and Urban Meyer are friends as well.)

sbq80

VIP Member
jon gruden. he lives in florida, is good friends with jeremy foley, and has said he would come out of retirement if a job opened that intrest him. i veiw him as the #1 candidate

I don't see Gruden as a college coach.
He is to 'in your face' as a coach, a 18-19 year old dude will crumble or quit being treated like that. Besides can you see Gruden going into kids houses on Coachs visit? He would scare some of the parents.

Patterson of TCU would be a good choice I think

We at Alabama wish Coach Urban Myers

nothing but the best and hope everything gets turned around so he can return to the game of football that he loves and to the Gator nation. Bu if this is not meant to be, rest assured he loves your program and will get you the best possible replacement. CUM and Gator nation best of luck in your bowl game against Cincy. We have been honored to have CUM in the SEC and certainly wish all well!!! RTR and go gators!!!!

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
Bell has zero major college football experience. He shouldn't be considered at all.

Strong has never been a head coach and didn't look good when he was interim head coach at the Peach Bowl 6 years ago. I'd be wary of hiring him.

Muschamp is a possibility if he can be lured from Texas. Even though he's HCIW there, he might be willing to leave if he can become a head coach now.

Whittingham works if we want to have a Meyer protege. But Whittingham has deep ties to Utah, so I doubt he'd be as willing to pack up and leave.

I'm wary of hiring Peterson from Boise State. Hawkins (their previous coach) also had a lot of success and he isn't doing well at Colorado now.

If we want a big-name, we could go after Stoops, but I don't know if Stoops would actually accept the job, since he has turned down the UF job before.

Mullen is a possibility, but I only consider him as a fallback in case we cannot get the person we were going after.

so i heard addazio is gonna be the interim coach next year

personally i hate it, this is a big job seems like we should be able to get somebody alot better

unless meyer plans to come back in 2011 this sucks

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
so i heard addazio is gonna be the interim coach next year

personally i hate it, this is a big job seems like we should be able to get somebody alot better

unless meyer plans to come back in 2011 this sucks

If Meyer plans on coming back, then this is the plan.

No coach, not even Mullen or Strong, will come if they know Meyer is coming back. We have to name an interim, and unfortunately I think Addazio is the only person who could step in as interim head coach.

MSGatorFan

Gator Fan
ESPN....Sources: Meyer now taking 'leave'

Meyer is now having second thoughts about retirement and will instead take an indefinite leave of absence following the bowl game, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN on Sunday.

The source told ESPN that Meyer will coach in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati, as previously announced, but that offensive coordinator Steve Adazzio will take over the Gators and will coach until Meyer is ready to return.

deansouthpaw

Gator Fan
Wow. Just saw that news on ESPN. Meyer supposedly taking a leave up absense and Addazio taking over as interim. Kinda bad news since I don't see this team being very good next year to start the decade, but great news if Meyer is going to end up coming back to Gator nation :)

deansouthpaw

Gator Fan
hopefully over the next year he realizes this is what he loves to do and wants to keep doing it

As much as my heart agrees with this statement, my brain says that hopefully he does what's best for his health and his family. Like Tebow said after the SECCG (which I felt was directed more towards Meyer sitting next to him rather than the media), it's only a game.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I don't know how to take this. I have no faith in Addazzio as HC, as I was just starting to trust him as OC. I don't know how Urban Meyer can peer into a crystal ball and say "Yup. In a year, maybe two, I will be magically healthy and ready to work for my paycheck." I want to believe Urban is seriously ill and needs to retire, but I find it hard to do so if it is true that he just wanted a break. I'm struggling with this one.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I don't know how to take this. I have no faith in Addazzio as HC, as I was just starting to trust him as OC. I don't know how Urban Meyer can peer into a crystal ball and say "Yup. In a year, maybe two, I will be magically healthy and ready to work for my paycheck." I want to believe Urban is seriously ill and needs to retire, but I find it hard to do so if it is true that he just wanted a break. I'm struggling with this one.

He's probably burned out after the past year.

But he's only in his 40s. I thought he would eventually come back to coaching, so this makes some more sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema