• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators vs. Gamecocks: Game Day Thread

awebbf5

VIP Member
I mean our d isnt great but damn their drained every game being on the field 80 percent of the time. People can say what they want but even zooks era wasnt this bad, I support coach boom but if no progress is made next year its time to fired him and get someone else.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One other thing: I know that our Coach loves JB's heart, wants to show him that, but he was NOT the right guy to be in there at the end--unless you've pretty well already conceded the defeat and just want to make a point with "your kind of guys", telling the REST of "your guys" that you WILL stand by them (which may well be at least something in the back of Coach's mind, tho' he'd never admit that to ANYONE else). After all, he HAD to know by then that they had blown their best chance at winning this one in the first half, especially early on. Considering how close we came ANYWAY, our "missing pieces" were SO glaringly obvious here again.
Another team we "coulda/woulda/shoulda" beaten--God, I am SO sick of THAT one!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I mean our d isnt great but damn their drained every game being on the field 80 percent of the time. People can say what they want but even zooks era wasnt this bad, I support coach boom but if no progress is made next year its time to fired him and get someone else.
Don't compare him with Zook--that guy could recruit--but he was LOST on the sidelines during games. Coach Boom at least knows what he wants--he just doesn't have hardly ANY of the components, and he's had to mix and match and fill with misplaced-in-his-system and outright overrated-and-under-performing players at almost every position, BOTH sides of the ball. Even a number of the decent ones aren't really suited to the style he has in mind, and he's had to adapt his schemes to them this season just to get THIS much traction in the SEC.
Don't worry, mid- to long-term, aweb: We are about to have the best recruiting class anyone's had in a long time, quality AND quantity, and though it will be acknowledged "highly rated" by the "experts" and recruiting services, its REAL knockout depth and "windfall"-nature won't be recognized fully for a couple of years. With a lot of freshmen playing in their first year there will be growing pains, and we'll look sloppy and uneven at times, but there will also be bursts of amazing play on both sides of the ball as well: He and Weis will be able to start really doing the kinds of things they had in mind when they came here.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Don't compare him with Zook--that guy could recruit--but he was LOST on the sidelines during games. Coach Boom at least knows what he wants--he just doesn't have hardly ANY of the components, and he's had to mix and match and fill with misplaced-in-his-system and outright overrated-and-under-performing players at almost every position, BOTH sides of the ball. Even a number of the decent ones aren't really suited to the style he has in mind, and he's had to adapt his schemes to them this season just to get THIS much traction in the SEC.
Don't worry, mid- to long-term, aweb: We are about to have the best recruiting class anyone's had in a long time, quality AND quantity, and though it will be acknowledged "highly rated" by the "experts" and recruiting services, its REAL knockout depth and "windfall"-nature won't be recognized fully for a couple of years. With a lot of freshmen playing in their first year there will be growing pains, and we'll look sloppy and uneven at times, but there will also be bursts of amazing play on both sides of the ball as well: He and Weis will be able to start really doing the kinds of things they had in mind when they came here.
i sure hope so im so hurt,those great seasons seem like along time ago in a galaxy far away the gators were the most feared.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...In fact, I think we'll be a LOT more interesting and exciting, on balance, next season--able to win our share of these close ones and at least challenge the elite teams in our conference: by late in the year NO one will look forward to playing us (exactly what I THOUGHT would be the case THIS year--before, like everyone else, I came to the realization that this "team" was so full of gutless CLOWNS and under-achieving whiners, the recruiting and team-attitude so bungled and allowed to deteriorate by the last regime that this was in effect a "lost year" that set us behind at LEAST that much--and that this was part of why Meyer was so hot to get OUT of here in the first place, never mind that it was HIS inattention and moping around after leaving an incompetent in charge that got him and us INTO this mess).
So we probably were set back TWO full years, in normal terms, except we now have such a competent, driven, high-energy take-no-prisoners young Head Coach with the experience, connections and charisma to pull out all the stops, the research, prioritizing, multi-tasking and drive (and, no small thing, an unprecedented number of openings in scholarships--something he at least partly PLANNED on in his NOT pulling the trigger on a bunch of guys he DIDN'T know LAST year), to in a sense, get TWO classes-worth of recruiting done in just this one coming up.
So if we can just find a solid No. 1 QB out of this after all, Weis will have what HE needs, and I think you'll see a real MONSTER "D" starting to evolve next year, and (along with a SECOND great recruiting class for 2013) our return to at least challenging for the SEC and BCS Championships by THAT year (ie. the one after next) after all.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I can't believe I'm still watching this frustrating quagmire into the 4th...I'm standing here in front of a silent picture with my car keys in my hand. Oops, there went that 3rd FG. No protection again. Oh yeah, there IS someone I CAN blame--and rightly so:
F*ck YOU, Urban Meyer!!! You and your lap-dog ran our team into the ground through inattention and laziness, the Clown in charge while you moped around--then looked at the results and bailed for REAL.

Actually f--k that now Temple head coach (sad part they won six games already). How an assistant coach's actions can bring the head coach (where have I heard before?). I hope they win against Furman.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Actually f--k that now Temple head coach (sad part they won six games already). How an assistant coach's actions can bring the head coach (where have I heard before?). I hope they win against Furman.
Yeah, man--with the hole they left us in, all we got for now is a few "hopes", and for the future, well, that's where we HAVE to count on our Head Coach to "finish strong", and to keep right on going with his hard-driving plans. We'll beat Furman as long as the core of this team continues to play hard, and DOESN'T expect to just "win by showing up"--STRONG teams can lose to ANYONE that way, and WE can't "intimidate a win" out of any team...of course, in MY "heart of hearts" I still long for something more...
(Check out my new thread, "Deep In Your Heart: One and One": gives us all a chance to get some stuff off our chests AND share some hope at the same time--anyway, that's what I had in mind...oh, good--I see that you DID already))

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Living in Texas, my only consolation is that the pompous University of Texas ranked at #19 only scored 5 points on unranked Missouri, our new SEC brethren. UTsw sucks as bad as we do, but they remain ranked because of the non-SEC schedule. UTsw actually made Florida look good.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
My final thoughts on this game:

My brother went to the game and observed that in the 2nd half we looked a lot better. Brantley's deep passes all looked catchable, and he was finally getting time to throw. For the most part, that offensive line can be blamed for the hurried throws, and the receivers can be blamed for not fighting for the ball. The proof is in the injured quarterbacks and lack of receptions by the receivers. On tv it looks like the QB is to blame. Outside the tv viewing angle one can see receivers not getting off the 5 yard bump, getting knocked off route, and not establishing a rhythm for the QB.

Compared to other sucky teams, we are not as bad as sucky, ranked, non-SEC teams.

SUMMARY:
- offensive line shares some of the blame for the quarterback
- the receivers are not fighting for their routes in the rhythm passing game
- we would still be ranked and have a winning record with these players and coaches if we were not SEC

Thoughts:
- We can fine tune the offense and defense against Furman, but we should not panic and swap QBs, change offensive schemes, or prepare for next year.
- FSU is beatable, but we need to work on offensive rhythm and defensive fundamentals.
- We should make it to the Gator Bowl, Liberty Bowl, or Music City Bowl. That gives us extra practice, more playing time for young players, and extra face time between coaches and players, and extra exposure for recruiting. Winning the Gator Bowl might snag some quality recruits out of the southeast.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My final thoughts on this game:

My brother went to the game and observed that in the 2nd half we looked a lot better. Brantley's deep passes all looked catchable, and he was finally getting time to throw. For the most part, that offensive line can be blamed for the hurried throws, and the receivers can be blamed for not fighting for the ball. The proof is in the injured quarterbacks and lack of receptions by the receivers. On tv it looks like the QB is to blame. Outside the tv viewing angle one can see receivers not getting off the 5 yard bump, getting knocked off route, and not establishing a rhythm for the QB.

Compared to other sucky teams, we are not as bad as sucky, ranked, non-SEC teams.

SUMMARY:
- offensive line shares some of the blame for the quarterback
- the receivers are not fighting for their routes in the rhythm passing game
- we would still be ranked and have a winning record with these players and coaches if we were not SEC

Thoughts:
- We can fine tune the offense and defense against Furman, but we should not panic and swap QBs, change offensive schemes, or prepare for next year.
- FSU is beatable, but we need to work on offensive rhythm and defensive fundamentals.
- We should make it to the Gator Bowl, Liberty Bowl, or Music City Bowl. That gives us extra practice, more playing time for young players, and extra face time between coaches and players, and extra exposure for recruiting. Winning the Gator Bowl might snag some quality recruits out of the southeast.

Thankyou, E-: It was a relief to read an intelligent, level-headed AND informative after-game analysis. I have had many of the same or similar thoughts, and the rest has helped me to sharpen clarity on my own P.O.V.

miltongator

Gator Fan
It's a sad realization that we are currently closer to Vandy than we are to LSU, Bama, Georgia. Been around long enough to dust off the ole "wait 'till next year" chant. Damn, I thought I was through with that.
We better figure out how to deal with the blitz before the half-ass-u game or Brantley will get killed.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Best teams in the SEC..........LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Georgia. The common ground for the better teams is continuity in the coaching staff. We should be able to get to that level if we can let things "settle" on the staff.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Best teams in the SEC..........LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Georgia. The common ground for the better teams is continuity in the coaching staff. We should be able to get to that level if we can let things "settle" on the staff.
Pretty well have to go along with all you've said here, mg. However, just going by how WE played 'em (and the resulting outcomes), I'd have to say that the REAL "space" is between LSU, Bama, and everyone ELSE, right? After that, it lines up the way you say, but we were close enough to beating USC and UGA, Auburn even more so, and Vandy was "close enough" to beating us, to put "all the rest", us included, in an SEC-grab bag and say "pick-'em", don't you think? One thing different, health, heart, or self-discipline on our team, and maybe we're 8-and-2 right now--of course, that's that "woulda/coulda/shoulda" crap I normally don't like to indulge in, so my only point here is that in the SEC, the difference between a "Top Ten Contender" and a "down year" may just be a handful of points, some bad luck and a few too many screw-ups. It's amazing how just cleaning up that last part can somehow change a great deal of "everything else". I think this staff intends to do a lot more than THAT, that and THEN some, in the months ahead, and as I've noted elsewhere, we'll be able to begin to see signs first of the work, then, through the spring, summer and into next season, more and more the growing results, as this team-to-be gets better "in fit-and-starts". In other words, it won't happen all at once, and it won't necessarily even be altogether smooth all the time--they'll look great at times, then suddenly backslide or seem to come undone for short stretches, but the offense will be tougher, and even thrilling at times, and the defense will more and more be the steadying force that keeps us in most games. It'll no doubt have us tearing at our hair, but it will also be clear, on balance, that we ARE getting better--and by late next season NO one will want to face us, mark my words. One more solid recruiting class after that and we'll be back in the Championship-discussion heading into 2013.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Perhaps we'll start to see some of that trend in the bowl game. Should be well-rested and healed. Will be watching the recruiting sites to see if we appear to be filling all the holes.

What is everyone's take on how the bowl game (assuming of course.....) should be handled? Play for the future or give the seniors a last hurrah?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Perhaps we'll start to see some of that trend in the bowl game. Should be well-rested and healed. Will be watching the recruiting sites to see if we appear to be filling all the holes.

What is everyone's take on how the bowl game (assuming of course.....) should be handled? Play for the future or give the seniors a last hurrah?
I'd like to see at least SOME of the first, "the future" (we've GOT to use the intervening weeks to get as much practice time for next-year's guys ANYWAY, after all), but I guess I EXPECT Coach to do more of the second, show some "love and respect" for the seniors like Brantley who "hung in there". Maybe play it "future for 2-to-3 qrtrs", then "respect for seniors" later in game, once outcome is (hopefully) decided (even if that means "the other way"--though I still feel that, by the evidence, no one at the Gator Bowl-level is likely to do to us what those two top-SEC teams did and, say what you will, we've at least held-our-own with everyone else--or WON)?
Hey, by the way mg: I SWEAR I hadn't heard today's Muschamp quote when I answered your post above earlier--the one where he pretty well says almost exactly the same thing about how aside from LSU and Bama, we sure aren't much different from the other SEC teams right now, not even the ones that beat us, that "you could put the rest of those teams in a bag with us and take your pick" (for real, he actually said that--I laughed AND felt silly at how it looked when I read it), and hinting at the changes coming and how we'll "do more than be a little better", etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema