• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Game Day: 10/04/14 At Vols

miltongator

Gator Fan
The once proud program has spiraled into oblivion.
I hate watching all this. It wouldn't surprise me if the coach and the AD haven't already had "the talk".

miltongator

Gator Fan
The prognosticators are down to using which team will suck more to try and figure out who will win LSU vs UF.
Sadly, by the time this ship is righted, we could very well lose almost a decade. That's if the next guy is the right guy.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The once proud program has spiraled into oblivion.
I hate watching all this. It wouldn't surprise me if the coach and the AD haven't already had "the talk".

There is still some hope. The complainant's charges against Treon Harris have been dropped, and the CleatGate was resolved quickly.

Also keep in mind that the world looks very different to you and me compared to Jeremy Foley and other athletic directors. The athletic directors at traditional and new football powers Florida, Texas, Michigan, and USC do need their big money sports teams to win games, but more importantly, they need the teams to keep them out of trouble with NCAA. NCAA bylaws are so crazy, that there is a game within the game on how to deal with the NCAA. The key point is that Will Muschamp has cleaned up the program, which essentially buys him a 7-win season. As long as Harris does not jeopardize the football program's standing with NCAA, Muschamp is still on a path to be the Gator head coach next year if he wins 7 games.

The extra "rules for keeping Muschamp"--beat Georgia, beat FSU, win the SEC East--are purely rules set by fans whose votes do not matter. The "talk" between Foley and Muschamp probably focuses more on keeping out of NCAA trouble, controlling the number of arrests, and increasing buy-in from investors (boosters, season ticket holders, etc).

miltongator

Gator Fan
You may be right, 94. But, consistently sub-par teams (7-4) isn't going to get it done IMHO. And, recruiting being what it is, we aren't going in the right direction for improvement.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is still some hope. The complainant's charges against Treon Harris have been dropped, and the CleatGate was resolved quickly.

Also keep in mind that the world looks very different to you and me compared to Jeremy Foley and other athletic directors. The athletic directors at traditional and new football powers Florida, Texas, Michigan, and USC do need their big money sports teams to win games, but more importantly, they need the teams to keep them out of trouble with NCAA. NCAA bylaws are so crazy, that there is a game within the game on how to deal with the NCAA. The key point is that Will Muschamp has cleaned up the program, which essentially buys him a 7-win season. As long as Harris does not jeopardize the football program's standing with NCAA, Muschamp is still on a path to be the Gator head coach next year if he wins 7 games.

The extra "rules for keeping Muschamp"--beat Georgia, beat FSU, win the SEC East--are purely rules set by fans whose votes do not matter. The "talk" between Foley and Muschamp probably focuses more on keeping out of NCAA trouble, controlling the number of arrests, and increasing buy-in from investors (boosters, season ticket holders, etc).

No--I am further "extreme" in MY opinion than even you refer to, E-: I happen to think we, and all the major schools, could, and SHOULD just WALK--F*CK the NCAA!...and I am NOT alone, even in the rarified circles-of-power you refer to above, it turns out. In fact, the NCAA KNOWS this sentiment is gaining traction among portions of athletic departments and even Regents' Councils (and you KNOW it's been there AWHILE among Big Boosters) at almost every major program--and it's spreading. Why do you think this latest move to the "4-Team Playoff" happened so (relatively) quickly and easily? That isn't the way the NCAA "normally" does things--but they are survivors, trying to get ahead of a wave that they know breaks them, or at least renders them irrelevant, if it builds and eventually breaks full-force.
But never mind MY opinion, whomever shares it. Point at the moment is, you need to catch up to a changing reality here: While what you say about "a different perspective" WAS a valid argument, it isn't necessarily the case any longer. In the case of the actual names you mention, THOSE individuals' fates have either already been decided, or (eg. J. Foley) are currently in-the-balance--those people are already either gone, or fighting for their job-related "lives" (in Foley's case, hanging by his finger-nails). I don't expect you to be convinced, to be swayed just on my say so...I'm just telling you what I am "given to understand" (which is as far as can go now)...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(@Escambia94, )
...What does that in turn imply? That there WILL be changes here at UF, and they may be more wide-spread than just at Head Coach. And that ISN'T completely in J. Foley's hands any longer, and he knows it. He's starting to appear as stubborn-in-misjudgment at HIS job, and the people he brings in then stays with (this whole business with the current Coach draws more attention to his whole tenure--and a string of misplaced-trusts), as Muschamp is in HIS. He HAS to "make a move"--and may not himself get much time or leeway in "proving" he gets it right this time. Different time-frame for him, agreed, but that MAY have as much to do with the guy they want to bring in to replace him, ultimately, as anything else. (I've mentioned this "fantasy" before--and it turns out that some very important and influential UF-folk had the same "fantasy"--and it ain't "fantasy" anymore: That individual has "saved" us before, and hasn't "dismissed-out-of-hand" overtures back-channel regarding its eventual realization/return...you "hear me" here, know what I'm saying, right? Only I didn't "SAY" it...)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I appreciate Will Muschamp for his efforts in cleaning up the program after Urban Meyer let it go out of control, but I do not see how the Gators will regain their winning form under his reign as head coach. He will probably be a good head coach elsewhere, but unless a miracle happens with his ability to run a football team he is not going to fix my Gators and the product on the field. I hear that the Gator game looked and sounded like a real Gator game last week against LSU, but this boneheaded coaching staff keeps playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema