• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay Thread: Week 3--Night Game At Neyland

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
Why didn't they take out Driskel earlier? We were clearly going to win and we are risking an injury.
Should've put in Brisset or someone to gain exp in the late 4th.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...And by the way, I guess Frankie Hammond IS our WR-playmaker, as it is turning out...you can bet Jeff will be finding him...DRISKEL tiptoes down the sidelines for a TD!!! Too bad these grumpy officials are SURE to take it away...OK, he DID go out--but nice run regardless...the 27 yard line? THAT'S a little harsh...more like inside the 15. Oh well, these officials HAVE to do their Neyland-thing, keep the score semi-respectable at LEAST.
This team doesn't make watchin' them easy, but they DO seem to rise to the occasion, at least so FAR...can't say I see a team that'll beat LSU in 2 weeks, though--NOT without a number of improvements, a relatively healthy team (ie. Gilly back near 100%, above all), and BOTH squads, "O" and "D", each playing a total game, beginning to end...LSU and the Tide will bury us early if we screw around the way we have in every 1st-half thus far--Hell, we'll have trouble with the Gamecocks and Bulldogs without waking up earlier and giving more complete performances...and there's STILL the PENALTY problem...
...I'll enjoy another come-from-behind win on the road tonight, but this will bite us more than ONCE before this season's over if we don't get busy and begin to solve these same ongoing difficulties.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ufgatorfan
Yep--I'm exhausted, feel like I've been worked over, and by early in the 3rd thought we were on the verge of letting it get away, and SAID so--and then, like last week, they snapped out of it, started getting it done on both sides of the line of scrimmage and just TOOK THE GAME!
The best part of course was watching young Driskel begin to really come into his own--the REALLY good news is that this is only the beginning: good as he showed when given half a chance tonight, he still has a ways to go, all KINDS of upside...Jeff shows all the signs of being more than "a good one"--with his arm AND leg skills, natural leadership and head-for-the-game beginning to show, he is quite possibly destined to be a great college quarterback.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Swamp Person
Hey SP--thought you'd be around here somewhere! Did that game have you with a big knot in your stomach? Hell, us mouthier-types would either have nervous breakdowns or holes in our stomaches if we didn't have GE on GameDay...
(One more thing: I just went over our whole thread here, reviewing the game from our reactions and comments, and I think it really IS a fair overview not only of the flow-of-the-game, but our team's strengths and weaknesses are well-reflected along the way...We're not as bad as we look early--but we can't count on always being able to fix everything and overcome our failures late--and our coaching, while better than maybe it seems we give them credit for at times, has been fortunate in their very real mistakes and misjudgments being retrieved and "forgotten" (or at least overcome) by great play when the game's been on the line later on: That is, players have bailed out the coaches, and that isn't always going to work out our way throughout the season.)

Note to Will Muschamp: Concentrate on getting your defensive-squad up to proper consistency, and your whole TEAM'S self-discipline needs a thorough going over. There is NO REASON that our players can't play clean and smart ALL GAME LONG. That's 2-and-a-half out of three games, 10 out of 12 quarters that we have played terribly undisciplined, out-of-control football in both head and heart with respect to penalties AND consistency, I figure : It has been HIGHLY unusual to win all 3 games anyway...and ENOUGH with "laying down the law" regarding our supposed "philosophy" concerning our inside power-running game, even overruling your OC at times to continue making the point: OK, we all get the idea, but we're banged up right now, our best RB by FAR is slowed and the O-line hasn't found any consistency inside thus far, so let the situation, talent and tools at our disposal, and the very real subtle touch you brought this OC in for in the FIRST place, do its thing--we'll eventually be a team that can run it down-your-throat even when you know it's coming, but we AREN'T there yet, and it is foolish to risk stalling turning-point drives, stubbornly trying to prove your point before it actually is TRUE.

OK--I'm gonna cut out for awhile--got a rolling buzz finally catching up (adrenaline had it well-suppressed--except for sloppy typing) to me AND "my ride's here"/going over to girlfriend's place--can't drive a 5-speed Firebird with a broken knee-cap, turns out, so this is how it goes these days...of course, there ARE things you figure OUT how to do--but now the drink is prob talkin', and giving TMI at that...this Longhorn/Ole Miss game seemed competitive until the last few minutes--they were "playing it up" on TV by making out the Rebels as being "a step up" for Texas--and it IS, I guess, but that only tells you how bad the Longhorn first two opponents have been..anyway, quietly rooting AGAINST UT here in this neighborhood (for now, anyway--I can holler loudly over at her place...she's from Houston and more an LSU-fan before she met me, though I've been training her in Gator-lore, not TOO hard a task since she was already an SEC-fan...looks like UT is starting to assert itself here, unfortunately: with ANOTHER bad loss by an SEC-team to a none-too-impressive less-than-mid-major, this time Kentucky to Western Kentucky, we could have used a better showing from Ole Miss here--not nec a win but a good game further into it than the 2nd quarter, which is what has developed. Like to see Stanford keep at it and maybe hurt Kiffikin's guys tonight after all...Oh well, talk to y'all later tonight, I guess...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I don't know how many heart attacks I can survive like this. I feel esophageal spasms with every game!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS I LOVED hearing the GameDay voice-over on ESPN say, "It looked like old times in Knoxville, and Tennessee and their fans felt this was the year to break thru'--AND THEN THE GATORS CHOMPED DOWN!!!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94
Yeah man--by the 4th quarter I didn't know if I was drunk, happy, hung-over or SICK!

(OK OK, gotta go...talk to ya later)

awebbf5

VIP Member
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Rocky flop you will always be gator bait to me! Just got done watching the game, caught a little bit at work on the inmates tv at lol. Big daddy driskel played great and some wanted brisett lmao. Mccray and Morrison looked great tonight. Early I was really worried but these fighting Gators stayed strong and together. Great win tonight and might I say here in Lexington their just hoping we dont beat them by 50 next week lol.

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Note to Will Muschamp: Concentrate on getting your defensive-squad up to proper consistency, and your whole TEAM'S self-discipline needs a thorough going over. There is NO REASON that our players can't play clean and smart ALL GAME LONG.

In terms of the pass interference penalties, I think Muschamp is willing to take those as a result of his corners and safeties playing physical. I don't think he's worried about those calls. It's a calculated gamble from the Saban school of defense that the refs can only call pass interference on X number of plays.

Now offsides and the like is an issue but the pass interference stuff is expected, almost encouraged.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, settling in over here now...I can't say enough about our young QB, just coming on with each game. I guess he reached that "tipping point", where all the practice, ups and downs of last year and experience in this year's games just came together together and begin to click for him--now he CAN make each game a tearning experience--his foundation is by now that solid and relaxed.
Also want to note our KICKING game: the rest of our Special Teams will step up I figure as the season moves along, but our kicking game is FIRST RATE, just "money" right now. After watching the games around the country, I can't say enough about BOTH our guys, Sturges AND Christy. We can pretty well count on each doing EXACTLY what he's counted on to do when the situation requires them to do it. Other teams have various degrees of uncertainty: WE have two individuals who clean up the mess when the rest of the team comes up short somehow.
Just watched the late SportsCenter with the GameDay crew going over the highlights, and BOY have they changed THEIR tune since this morning--Check it out if you haven't already (it'll be repeated thru' into Sun. morn): It 'll make you laugh, roll your eyes AND feel pretty good about this season after all--at least until we hit October and face LSU...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In terms of the pass interference penalties, I think Muschamp is willing to take those as a result of his corners and safeties playing physical. I don't think he's worried about those calls. It's a calculated gamble from the Saban school of defense that the refs can only call pass interference on X number of plays.

Now offsides and the like is an issue but the pass interference stuff is expected, almost encouraged.
I understand the idea in theory--especially in the college game where it's just a 15-yarder from the line-of-scrimmage, not at the spot-of-the-foul, a lot of times it may be "SMART" to take the PI, more and more so later in the game with a lead, just taking a passing-receiver OUT is obviously MUCH better than letting him get free behind you...However, the pre-play calls, and especially the post-action and away-from-the-action penalties that are just selfish, dumb emotional plays with no regard for the situation or your team's hard work that got 'em to and THRU' late-down-plays but instead hands the opposition another set of downs...That happened SEVERAL times tonight, as it has all season, and IT MUST STOP for us not to take a dive in October and beyond again--like last year, when we opened up 4-and-0 but quickly faded from there, if you'll recall.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--we SHOULD be able to cruise next week, even OVER-confidence shouldn't threaten us: we are that much better than this KY team--and I just can't see Muschamp doing anything but making his team WORK this coming week of practice--work on everything they had trouble with for nearly 3 quarters THIS week: lining up and getting properly set, playing clean and sharp, and executing with precision and self-discipline. The first team starters will be required to get it right and get in some good, tight work...then the rest of the team will get their own reps and be required to do things properly as well--and God help anyone who slacks off or plays lackadaisically: they'll find themselves working all the harder on gameday, and possibly find their place on the depth-chart sliding as well. It's the way I've heard our Head Coach is trying to deal with the selfish, stupid and sloppily undisciplined mistakes (like repeated jumping offsides and late hits that otherwise aren't part of play, and letdowns and lazy performance-errors that can turn 4th downs into 1st-and-tens).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema