• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: "The Cocktail Party" Gators vs Bulldogs Sat.Oct.27

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Our season is not over. We have some things to work on.

Most importantly, I still have faith in Jordan Reed.
OH--and you're right, Dale (and judging by his inconsolable sorrow on the sideline after that last play), it MUST be said: We ALL still have faith in Jordan Reed. This wasn't HIS loss...THIS, was a TEAM loss if there ever WAS one.

6-1 and so far, with a second year coach and his second year team not too bad.

I just want us to improve as a team, often times, the best teams are forged from losses. I think this time rebounds well from this loss and we finish the season with only one loss.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Last thought here (I need some "release time"--that one wrapped me up TOO tight all-the-way through, and the only way it was going to be OK "naturally" was if we WON somehow at the end)...
Let's hope that SOMETHING positive can come out of this loss--hard to see on first blush, but here's the best I can do for now:
We WERE getting away with some things lately that our 2nd half dominance helped to cover, and maybe SHOULD have been more of a warning LAST game, when our offense really DID under perform (even for THEM this season) but we told ourselves "we just do enough to win"...I was hoping there was more to this offense than we had shown, and that Pease and Muschamp would unveil these things when we needed them...Well, make no mistake--we NEEDED them here today, and though we caught a GLIMPSE of it ONCE on that 2nd-to-last drive, when JD got sacked and didn't have TIME to throw it to the open receiver streaking alone to the endzone, we should have had a few of those set up and ready to go ALL DAY, for one thing (THINK about it: just one long TD earlier changes the last few minutes of this game entirely)...We started driving a couple of times when we used the pass to set up the run, too--but we just KILLED ourselves every time--That DOESN'T mean it didn't work. On the contrary, we need to get better at it. You can bet our future opponents will try to reproduce what UGA tried and seemed to succeed at here. I say "seemed" because I'm STILL not convinced that they beat US...WE beat us! So let's work on that some more, continue to open up our offense so that they CAN'T count on stopping our running game in order to beat us. Our running game HAS been getting slowed by opposing defensive schemes in just that manner the last few games, and it finally cost us--so open it up and MAKE THEM PAY. With everything that went wrong, we still had a "puncher's chance" throughout the 4th qrtr, but WE COULDN'T QUITE PUNCH: FIX that!!!...THAT'S the kind of lesson we can bring from this horrible performance.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well that sucked. But 6 turnovers, what do we expect. Oh well I'm over it.
Wish I was THAT resilient/thick-skinned when it comes to our Gators, but I'm not...Everything else, life's disappointments large and small I am able to deal evenly with, but despite a lot of experience, rationalization and "know-better", I STILL ACHE with this team...I'll put it aside, act civilly to outsiders and take it in stride, but INSIDE, deep down where I keep it, it sits there and will bother me. I'll hurt again tonight--might be a good time not to be alone after all; haven't had to DEAL with the hurt and pain of a loss for a LONG time, and THIS one was EXTRA-bad, draining me, then giving a bit back, then draining some more, then dangling some hope in front of us, then snatching it away--this one will keep "coming back up", like a bad meal (maybe I should see about going over to my girlfriend's house after all--I could use the "friendly distraction", as it turns out).

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The truth hurts. The Gator offense needs some work. It needs playmakers on the offensive line and at wide receiver. The Gators can recover. I hope that Driskel is giving a Tebow-like speech, or that Muschamp is chewing the offense a new one, and laying into the defense that got the PF penalties--that is what the media and non-SEC fans key in on after the loss.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Dru,

It's just football and regardless we are fans and wanna win, but there's other games. And in college your not gonna be great year after year after year. Eventually they will graduate. We will finish season strong and next year come out pissed off....

Go Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dru,

It's just football and regardless we are fans and wanna win, but there's other games. And in college your not gonna be great year after year after year. Eventually they will graduate. We will finish season strong and next year come out pissed off....

Go Gators!
All true, IA--and we'll be getting BETTER, not just "over the next few years" (though that's TRUE), but between now and 2013!
However, as I say, the better we are doing, the worse I feel when the 1st loss inevitably comes ('cause we NEVER end up with the "undefeated season"--and if/when it happens, it'll BE in a strange "what's happening here" year, with a strange "how's this team doing it" TEAM, and had we won THIS one that's what even I would have begun covertly wondering, "Can it be?"). But no, "Trick or Treat, suckers!" Bad joke on us.
I WILL get over it, though--and to begin that process, as WELL as offer a place for others who aren't there yet to "vent", I just put up the Thread, "Picking Through the Bones: Post Mortems on a Dark and Stormy Night".
It's there NOT for deep thinking, really, but rather for anyone to unload.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
6-1 and so far, with a second year coach and his second year team not too bad.

I just want us to improve as a team, often times, the best teams are forged from losses. I think this time rebounds well from this loss and we finish the season with only one loss.

It's 7-1. Just hope they can beat Mizzo and UGA loses another SEC game to be in the SEC title game. At least win out and play in a BCS bowl.

Escambia94

It's 7-1. Just hope they can beat Mizzo and UGA loses another SEC game to be in the SEC title game. At least win out and play in a BCS bowl.

It is 7-1. We can finish 11-1 if we beat FSU. We can finish 10-2 with a loss to FSU. Either prospect is better than what we expected at the beginning of the season.

Escambia94

Just a quick rehash on where the Gators could land in terms of bowl games:

SEC #5 vs ACC #2: Chick-fil-A Bowl [CBS predicts Mississippi State]
SEC #3 or #4 vs B1G #3: Outback Bowl (SEC East preference) [CBS predicts South Carolina]
SEC #3 or #4 vs Big 12 #2: Cotton Bowl (SEC West preference) [CBS predicts LSU]
SEC #2 vs B1G #2: Capital One Bowl [CBS predicts Georgia]
BCS (SEC tie-in) vs BCS: Sugar Bowl [CBS predicts Florida]

The Gators will finish as SEC #3 or #4. I do not foresee them climbing to #2--that would require Georgia to be upset by Auburn or Ole Miss. More than likely, an SEC team (Alabama) will be in the BCS championship, which means that the BCS bowl selection committee will have to choose amongst Florida, LSU, and Georgia as a replacement team for the Sugar Bowl. Georgia may "deserve" the BCS bowl game in the Sugar Bowl by virtue of head-to-head victory over Florida, but Florida can regain the graces of the BCS selection committee by smashing Mizzou and FSU. If Florida loses to FSU, then scratch off a BCS bowl game at the Sugar, unless LSU falters. Personally, I do not see how the BCS selection committee can take Florida over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, but the CBS experts seem to agree that Georgia got lucky in this game.

Summary: Florida's BCS bowl hopes and 11-1 chances are alive with a smashing of Mizzou and FSU. Even if Florida loses to FSU and finishes at 10-2, it can still get a BCS bowl if the selection committee prefers Florida over Georgia, especially if Louisville continues to do well and they can pit longtime Gator defensive coach Charlie Strong against his former team and if they want Charlie to audition for an SEC head coaching job (Arkansas or Auburn?).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The gators would have to be third in the SEC to make a BCS bowl (or first but couldn't see them beat Bama but who knows) because the loser of the SEC title game is out usually depending on the ranking. I think UGA will be shut out if they lost to Bama especially if UF wins out especially if FSU doesn't lose until the gator game. I believe UF vs Louisville is possible though Rutgers could beat UL and win the Big Least. Also I think Arkansas could get Strong, I think Auburn would go for an offensive coach as head coach.

Escambia94

The BCS selection committee can do weird things, sometimes to set up drama or special interest that sells tickets. Yes, Florida will likely end up at SEC #4.

I have an idea for a new thread...

EDIT: Nevermind. Somebody beat me to it. Be sure to go to travisduncan 's article [here] to see some discussion on where the Gators go next.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
InkedAdrenaline, miltongator, Dale J. Rodriguez, Leakfan12, Escambia94, FrozenGator (if I left anyone out who was with us on GameDay and has continued to post here Sunday, I MEANT to include you...)
This won't take long--there are just too many bad-feelings in the nooks and crannies of this thread, which we all suffered through and which I have now re-experienced from-the-top in order to review the game THAT way (I CANNOT watch my recording of the actual game, as is my usual Sunday ritual--I may NEVER watch it, which btw is my recommendation to the coaches with respect to showing it to the team...there's just not much there positive to be learned, and the negative could be as damaging, in its way, to the players as it is painful for me to watch)...
I HAVE A FOOTBALL HANGOVER from that game. As I have explained elsewhere, I didn't drink ENOUGH yesterday, felt everything with raw nerves and heart-exposed on my sleeve--and am drinking NOW to soften the ache that "the day after" brings. I have thoughts on all the points, topics and issues y'all raise here--but fortunately you also raise them, and in more detail, elsewhere...I will do my best to respond to them there.
Basic Points:
--We are "starting over" in every way that is important--and both us and (even more important) our team need to face the rest of this season in just that way.
--I don't care what other teams do from here on out.
--I don't care where we or any of our opponents, past present or future, are ranked.
--I don't care about the various arcane combinations of who does what and who wins or loses or has already won or lost when and/or where, or their various possible impact on where WE could end up, or how high we are likely to be ranked when we get there.
--I don't care what Bowls we or anyone else will be eligible or likely to play in.
--I don't care what anyone "out there", what the media pundits, haters, Gators or anyone ELSE is saying about us or WILL be saying about us for the rest of this year.
--Remember "One game at a time"??? It's more important than ever now...It is the only way we can make "starting over" stick, and eventually work for us. It's a 5 game season now, with the relative meaning and importance of the 5th resting upon the outcome of each and eventual record in all 4 remaining regular season games--and all we can or SHOULD be concerned with henceforth is the next game, the one right in front of us, that and that alone.
--We are a good team, with enormous potential; we have work to do all OVER the place, just to get back on track and beat our next opponent, Mizzou--and don't forget they are a well-coached team that, though having an "off" year, are part of a strong and ambitious program, are only a year on from challenging for BCS status themselves, and have plenty of guys who were a part of that who know about big game preparation: They'll be gunning for US come next Saturday.
--Our guys, as much as they hurt (every bit as much and MORE than any of us), must put it aside tomorrow, strap on their helmets and begin to prepare mentally, emotionally and physically for that NBG.

Escambia94

The point is that this is only one loss. Raise your hand if you predicted before Game 1 that the Gators would have been undefeated heading into the WLOCP. Now, keep your hand up if you believed that AND you were actively posting your opinions here before Game 1. See? No more hands.

We get it--one game at a time. It works both ways. The Gators win or lose one game at a time, yet after one loss the Gator Nation is fretting about the seven consecutive wins that the Gators just had. To counter that panic, I have been posting on this forum and another that the season is not over yet. Don't give up the one-game-at-a-time approach. There is plenty more to play for. Start with a warm welcome to the Swamp for Mizzou. Next, make Louisiana and Jacksonville State earn those $500K payouts (and tune up/ rest up for FSU). End the regular season with a win over FSU. Wait and see what happens next. There will be a bowl game. If the Gators take it one game at a time, that bowl game may be a BCS bowl berth in New Orleans' Sugar Bowl (my favorite non-title bowl game). Even if they should falter, this season is already better than the past two years.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
First, when it comes to our record, and all the doubts and/or expectations along the way, well, we can just go ahead and burn THAT bridge behind us (I think I had us at 8 or 9 wins, with "10 if everything falls our way", and backed away from that last one with the late-summer injuries). We have already exceeded all of that with our record through October. No, our disappointment comes from what in fact took place, NEW expectations established no matter WHAT we tried to tell ourselves: the mirage on the horizon of "doing something special", then "how-CLOSE-we-were".
Well, that's done, and we're still here...We still DO have that 7-and-1 record and 4 winnable games to go to a better season than any of us had any inkling was ahead. Since we're facing it all now anyway, let's take a quick LOOK at those games, then take ourselves in hand and return to the same self-disciplined outlook we recommend to all Gators--most of all, our team.
Missouri is well-coached and talented, but we have the edge in all phases. A mid-range or slightly above Big 12 squad, they are over-matched in our league: we come out a bit angry instead of with some "hangover" and we roll them. Louisiana Lafayette is the hidden danger...always an exciting team that schedules and CHALLENGES a couple of the Big Boys, with a strong program in one of the more competitive "mid-majors", some defense this season with their usual speed makes them dangerous; we are at LEAST as fast and a lot bigger, though, so we OUGHT to be able to wear them down and take control on both sides of the ball. Jacksonville St. won't lay down, by any means, but as long as we keep our focus and continue to prepare following the influence and attitude of our Head Coach, Brisset and the bench are in on the "fun" by the 4th quarter.
Which beings us, especially if we HAVE taken care of business, to our 2nd "Moment of Truth" this season, and a chance for possibly some kind of "redemption". Make no mistake, FSU is a much tougher foe than UGA, could beat us even with a decent, composed effort on our part--something we DIDN'T manage in the CP. That's what redemption's about, though: the chance to rise above, to show yourself that what happened once, the mistakes you made before, don't define you--and won't define this season. We probably (almost certainly) won't get to face Alabama in Atlanta, after all. This one will have to do.
OK. That's it. Now back to "the grind". I MEAN IT. I will NOT return to discussion of ANY of these games, will honestly not even consider them again until the week-of-the-game--and I may well DIS anyone who DOES once we move on from this thread. ONE GAME AT A TIME. Go Gators!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema