• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Gators vs. JU "Gamecocks" in the Swamp (Sat.Nov.17)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
InkedAdrenaline You got that right, IA (Aw sh*t--holding on a NICE play--on Brisset?!--that was a TIKKI-TAK call!) Anyway, I said the same thing earlier...Evidently we need to avoid ANY start earlier than about 3:30pm Eastern: Our worst performances have been against inferior teams, and all started early--and that HAS to be all connected! (And it seems to go as much for the fans as the players!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Can't watch the game. Looks ugly based on Twitter comments.
Oh, it IS--As is getting to be a habit, E-, the offense has DRIVEN deep a number of times without getting ANY points; we should be WAY ahead by now...here's another FG try that SHOULD have been a longer drive until another O-line breakdown on the crucial 3rd-down play. It has happened that way on either the off-tackle dive or the bubble screen, All open as they started until the lineman misses his key block...(At least Sturgis gets this one off--no leaky line permitting the block THIS time. Good. 20-0)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Big surprise, we ARE going to win this one...But this team NEEDS more work on offense, absolutely no doubt about it. No "free substitution here so far today--OH!!! Roberson HAD it for a Pick SIX!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So, we look even uglier than the past couple weeks?
'Bout the same--though "D" back to being "lights out" since I got back in the 2nd quarter--apparently they got a big play/nice drive on their first possession/first drive...Double safeties back--and Roberson gets off a NICE return!!!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I was hoping another WR would step up. Defense will stack load the box and double Reed.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I HATE the way our receivers don't maneuver to HELP the QB--but THAT time Brisset waited WAY too long before throwing it--if he throws it a second or so earlier, it's right THERE--(47 yd. FG. by Sturges...Money...But again: Great field-position more or less squandered if NOT for our All-American kicker)--as saying, by the time Brisset DID throw that one, it had a MUCH better chance of being INTERCEPTED than completed...That's the 3rd time he's done that this half.
See, that's what is so worrisome: We were SET UP after the return, inside THEIR 35...and we get all of 5 yds. to get a Sturges FG, when a 1st down or two puts us inside the 10 and IN. That is just unacceptable against this defense.
To answer your Q, E-, if you're not watching this game, you are being spared another "Frustration Session" from our offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do like Roberson back there, whether they use the TWO-safety/return-man set-up or not: Roberson just gives an impression of solid decision-making and sure hands, so far. More than anyone ELSE we've had back there this season, anyway.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PLEASE: I have but ONE REQUEST left here (albeit a predictable one):
Gator Coaches and players--Could you just put ONE GOOD DRIVE together now--WHAT?!! We give them a 1st down there on an offside penalty?!!! We finally have a game where we HADN'T made any TERRIBLE penalties (though a number of "little drive killers"...)--and NOW we PULL THAT SH*T?!! (So much for my "plaintive request"...I WAS gonna ask for "One Good Drive", where the offense "puts it all together, all the way down and in"...BUT special teams picks just there to pull their "big boner of the game", penalty-wise. I have to say, even though we cut DOWN on NUMBER of penalties and YARDS penalized this week, it seems that every one of these 5-yarders has come at CRUCIALLY BAD points. The count now I believe is FOUR bad ones for the offense, ONE for the defense. That "Aussie Punter" does do some interesting things with their punts--running to either side and deciding when, where and IF(?) he'll punt, and with EITHER FOOT! It's weird, but it WORKS, gotta admit...put us inside the 10 this time, after getting off a 47 yd. field-flipper last time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is that correct? I guess so: we are gonna lose the Time-of-possession battle today--And THAT is the BEST run I have EVER seen Matt Jones rip off, EVER--That was a POWER-run if I ever SAW one! He broke tackles and carried tackler another 8 yards after they DID catch him. And the O-line breaks again and gives back 4 of those yards on the next play, trapping Burton...Little bubble screen again, this time to Jones, only good for a yard. This is our crap passing-offense again. Another lousy little screen to Burton for another nothing-on-the-completion.
Christy launches one into orbit on the punt. Touchback. Man, our "O" continues to "stink up the joint", no getting around it. It's WORSE than it sounds. I already KNOW the REST of our team can play--that's why we ARE 10-1 after this one...Has ANYONE seen ANYTHING promising about this offense today, as we enter the last minute of play?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just SOMETHING to "hang-our-hat-on" going into FSU-week (which we CAN start to talk about now, btw), that's all I asked here--and let's face it: WE JUST COULDN'T MANAGE EVEN THAT!
How in HELL is this team going to compete next Saturday?!! Sure, we'll be able to stop THEM most of the time, but we will HAVE to have SOME offense, if only to not see OUR defense worn down being forced to spend too much time on the field throughout the first half. I'm certain Pease can draw up a clever game plan, probably HAS been for WEEKS, but I just don't see how ANY TEAM can just "flip the switch" and do things they haven't shown any sign of being able to do until now. I WANT to "believe", but it just isn't IN me right now, not after suffering through ANOTHER "failed ignition/dead on the launching pad" display of talent-without-follow-thru'.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Guess I'll just have to bow out here for awhile, let things relax, let others show me some optimism and alternate views, and come back to it later...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't know which QB we'll see next week, Btw--It will be Driskel if healthy, but no guarantee of THAT--But I have to say: That isn't the difference, who the QB is, for the offense's failure or success either way, as far as I can see. They will have a different gameplan depending on who it will be, though--a decision that the coaches will therefore all the MORE have to make earlier, rather than later, in the week.
(Muschamp is saying in his post-game presser that he "felt we had the game-in-hand defensively in the 2nd half, and with the way they were playing us risking turnovers and injuries if we pushed matters, that though as the OC advised, we COULD do some things offensively from there, it was MY decision to just shut it down and go win the game"...It is HARD to argue with the turn-around Coach has brought us here, but his is SUCH a DEFENSIVE COACH's perspective, with certain assumptions, I just wonder if he isn't doing this team a disservice when it comes time that we'll NEED the offense again...I have NEVER seen a team be able to "flip the switch" and turn on a whole SQUAD, in this case the OFFENSE, after more than half-a-season of coasting without it...Now, I have never seen a Gator-team, or ANY SEC team for that matter, do what this one has done EXCLUSIVELY with defense and special teams this season, either--so maybe I am due to be taught a lesson in coaching: Man, I HOPE so! Otherwise, next Saturday is going to be the worst, most frustrating, sinking-feeling-drenched "I-don't-wanna-say-I-TOLD-you-so"-game YET!!! OK, I am done, for now.)

miltongator

Gator Fan
I don't know which QB we'll see next week, Btw--It will be Driskel if healthy, but no guarantee of THAT--But I have to say: That isn't the difference, who the QB is, for the offense's failure or success either way, as far as I can see. They will have a different gameplan depending on who it will be, though--a decision that the coaches will therefore all the MORE have to make earlier, rather than later, in the week.
(Muschamp is saying in his post-game presser that he "felt we had the game-in-hand defensively in the 2nd half, and with the way they were playing us risking turnovers and injuries if we pushed matters, that though as the OC advised, we COULD do some things offensively from there, it was MY decision to just shut it down and go win the game"...It is HARD to argue with the turn-around Coach has brought us here, but his is SUCH a DEFENSIVE COACH's perspective, with certain assumptions, I just wonder if he isn't doing this team a disservice when it comes time that we'll NEED the offense again...I have NEVER seen a team be able to "flip the switch" and turn on a whole SQUAD, in this case the OFFENSE, after more than half-a-season of coasting without it...Now, I have never seen a Gator-team, or ANY SEC team for that matter, do what this one has done EXCLUSIVELY with defense and special teams this season, either--so maybe I am due to be taught a lesson in coaching: Man, I HOPE so! Otherwise, next Saturday is going to be the worst, most frustrating, sinking-feeling-drenched "I-don't-wanna-say-I-TOLD-you-so"-game YET!!! OK, I am done, for now.)

Damn, it's nice to see someone "come to the light". Even the Gator announcers were constantly bemoaning the play of our offensive line. I've been saying for a while that this "3 and a cloud" offense (really 1 or 2 and a cloud) won't serve us well in the long run. After what happened to #'s 1 and 2 on Saturday, just think where we'd be if we had brought an Offense to Jacksonville.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Damn, it's nice to see someone "come to the light". Even the Gator announcers were constantly bemoaning the play of our offensive line. I've been saying for a while that this "3 and a cloud" offense (really 1 or 2 and a cloud) won't serve us well in the long run. After what happened to #'s 1 and 2 on Saturday, just think where we'd be if we had brought an Offense to Jacksonville.

Here is where you should be like me and enjoy the game with a frothy beverage in hand--that was the best offense the Gators could bring to Jacksonville. Driskel outgunned Murray 191 yards to 150, 7.1 YPA to 6.3 YPA, 2 INT to 3 INT. Even with two receivers going over 50 whole yards receiving, it was not enough because with a pathetic offensive line Gillislee was only able to tally 77 yards to Gurley's 118 yards. That was representative of the Gators' best offense. That is the kind of offense that we can expect to see against FSU at best!

The Gators will need to beat FSU the same way it beat SC--take advantage of turnovers. Without gifts and luck, the Gators are not going to beat FSU.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94, and miltongator, too!
You may well be RIGHT, E-, and if we can do that without TURNOVERS it could turn out to be MORE than enough...
Let's face it: we played PLENTY well enough to have won in Jacksonville, had we not had SIX TURNOVERS (3 of each variety: I STILL shake my head at how OFF we had to be as a TEAM that day...Yeah, all the other related-factors such as the O-line were typically on display once again, but those TURNOVERS...Hell, even just ONE less there at the end would have put us in a TIE and overtime, we ALL believe, right? And after that, well...).
With just an otherwise "mediocre-but-balanced offense", though, no matter what missing factors you pick to "fix" in order to get there, maybe NO one comes CLOSE to beating us. Something to consider: THAT'S gotta be our aim now, for the off season and beyond.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema