• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GameDay: Gators at Seminoles Saturday, Nov.24 (@Doak/Campbell--Tallahassee)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
How 'bout THAT?--A FLORIDA kid stops them on 3rd dwon forcing the fg-try--right after that that Shaw kid who WAS a Gator but transferred back "home" after "The Liar" left made a good play to put 'em in a long yards situation...wouldn't it be GREAT if they played a part in BEATING them here? But MEANWHILE (back here in the REAL world) the young QB MISSES the wide open WR for what-WOULD-have-been a long TD...Aw, never mind, Gators--this nervous play-by-play typing just isn't helping ANYONE...I'll drop it and shut UP, either 'til it's over or at LEAST something "GOOD-for-US" happens...
4th quarter starting, SC 9 pts down.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sigh...I just HAVE to say it: If ONLY SC could have JUST put up SOME kind of competent fight here...I blame Kiffen, who is being exposed here, as his whole TEAM'S SEASON has exposed him, as an OVER-RATED Coach all YEAR.
They have SUCKED at every big moment on Offense, they have CHOKED on defense thanks to going with what has been basically a goal line defense the whole way down the FIELD--with what WAS 3/4 of a quarter left and Notre Dame running on every play, of course. With 3rd and goal, a TD puts this away and a FG puts it ALMOST there, the way this SC offense stalls inside the redzone repeatedly...Just waiting for our official "relegation" to the Sugar Bowl here...
We will rue that Cocktail Party-breakdown for a LONG year at LEAST, even WITH our great win today.
(Meanwhile, even Musberger etc. must figure this one is slipping away from SC now with a 9 pt/ lead and 6 min. left: They're FINALLY talking UP Florida now, saying that they are "SO impressed with Florida, coming back as they did with STRONG offense IN Tallahassee, and now have beaten FOUR Top TEN teams, showing a resume unmatched by ANY of the other 1-loss teams..." You can BET they wouldn't be saying ANY of that if they didn't think this one was JUST about over and Florida about to be eliminated). We=ll--not over YET...LONG [ass to the 1 yard line of Notre Dame--now if they ONLY can punch this in the endzone!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DAMNIT!!! They had it inside the ONE and FALSE STARTED! NOW they run into the MIDDLE again! THROW IT, DAMNIT--Interference! 1st and goal at the 1--but this is taking too LONG now--and they MUST get it in!\

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is SO stupid--the clock is ticking down and they NEED another possession!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(I WARNED you all I "would have something to say on all of this" once that game-at-the-end-of-the-regular-season was over...I probably SHOULD have thought it OUT ,ore, but I need to get it out and be DONE WITH IT. With apologies, then:)

Well, here it is, folks--This was REALLY frustrating to watch: And we had to rely on LANE KIFFEN to get it done for us? THAT was never gonna happen...The Irish may be an over-rated football team who will get rolled by Bama OR UGA in the "Plus One" (maybe UGA WORSE, I'm starting to think), but Kiffen is the worst "highly regarded Coach" in college football--and he proved WHY here tonight. They had EVERY chance to TAKE this game, and the play-calling of their COACH made this another "Luck of the Irish" bit of futility.
Meanwhile, "The Fighting Irish are Destiny's Darlings..." according to Brent Musberger---Yeah, like HOW IN HELL DOES THAT PITT KICKER MISS THE FG THAT WOULD HAVE BEATEN THEM IN THE 3RD OT?...In a game where they had the lead late and blew THAT, giving the Irish an opportunity they shouldn't have had in the 1st place...and that's just the one I clearly remember--there were at least 3 or 4 OTHER games where Notre Dame was BEAT against mediocre teams--their "luck", far as I'm concerned, was that they WERE up against "mediocre teams"--anyone even one notch ABOVE less-than-average would have knocked them off earlier--and we'd-have-been-DONE with them and all THIS!.
(Oh, and NOW it gets BETTER: Here is the guy I despise hearing talk now even more than Lane Kiffen: Urban "I'm-Having-a-Heart-Attack-NO!-I-Want-to-See-My-Family-No!-I'm-a-Lifelong-Gator-No!-I've-Been-a-Ohio-Man-All-My-LIFE-Snivel-Sniff-Sniff" My-ERRRR-No!-Crier-No!-LIAR singing his latest tune like a GEEK pukin'-up chicken heads, that's what his act looks and sounds like to ME now, right?)
These guys are ALL on "My LIST":
At the top is to BURY "That PHONY From Ohio (TPFO)"...
Next down would of COURSE be Notre Dame ANYTIME, ANYWHERE...
Next is Lane Kiffen, who couldn't manage a barely adequate game here tonight even for HIS team's sake...
And UGA has a new STRING of "Parties" we'll need to make sure they WANT to forget, of course...
What's YOUR "list"?
There are some others but these are at the top of mine--"a good start", as they say...ALL worthy of getting BEAT BADLY--sooner rather than later, so it's fine with ME seeing OTHERS drilling them...BUT as we saw tonight, usually it is just UNACCEPTABLE leaving this sort of thing in the hands of "Anyone ELSE"--We have DONE that the last FOUR times (the ONLY four times) we were headed for "The Top", losing ONE game instead of going undefeated, and been fortunate enough to get there ANYWAY--and WIN it 3 of 4 TIMES (the First time we got CLOBBERED by Nebraska when we got there--"there" being the Fiesta)--and in losing in J-ville that ONE time THIS season, to take it OUT of our own hands, we were depending on others AGAIN. It is WELL PAST TIME we stopped:
We NEED To Go UNDEFEATED.
It is a HARD thing to do, for ANY program, wherever they play--and EXCEPTIONALLY difficult in the SEC, obviously: But we must DO IT, and do it ONCE AND FOR ALL SOON--and then AGAIN...It'll get "easier" (if that is the word) after we get it done that first time.
I EXPECT US TO WIN OUT, GO UNDEFEATED, FOR AT LEAST TWO SEASONS IN A ROW--Do it in the next 2 or 3 years--then "reload" and go for it AGAIN!!
Still--can't help but HURT at the fact that our Nat'l Championship chances in the end slid by on TWO blown-chances late inside-the-five: One that WE FUMBLED away, and one that Kiffens' "Prophylactics" BUMBLED away--both with just moments left in the game...
It HURTS to know that we are, at this point, as good as ANY TEAM IN AMERICAN COLLEGE FOOTBALL--It makes us proud, sure, but it HURTS, too: You GOTTA know we would just FLATTEN that Notre Dame Team I just watched (and blown AWAY that Trojans team--I mean THAT was like one of the SEC's LESSER teams--like, let's see, hmmm, Tennessee? Could THAT be a coincidence?)...I'm guessing maybe N.D. does a little better for a half or so, but the outcome is inevitable--and if we play like we played all but about 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter TONIGHT, we beat anybody, even N.D--Hell, ESPECIALLY N.D.--by a couple of TDs MINIMUM. The way we responded to that "6 minutes" PROVED that!
What we saw in ourselves TONIGHT when we finally pulled it all together and rallied, when we "formed up and started to become what we are truly destined to BE", a balanced, powerful TEAM that functions efficiently in ALL phases of the game, we glimpsed for the first time what that will mean: We will be RELENTLESS, able to dictate not just the outcome but the flow and pace of a game.
Don't misunderstand me--we won't EVER be "PERFECT"; a TEAM is fundamentally a"collection of imperfect individuals", after all--"perfection" is something you MAY, with practice, discipline and sacrifice for one another, achieve for a few precious moments in a game now and then, here and there--But you GO FOR IT TOGETHER, as a "team", the pursuit itself for its own sake--and the high points you achieve along-the-way amount to the only "pay-off" we'll get except the effort itself...ALL of us who make UP this "program": School, Coaches, players and US, The FANS. When all is said and done, you know, WE are the school, WE ARE THE PROGRAM. WE are "the constant": everyone ELSE "comes and goes", but us and the buildings.
What am I getting at? This is our program, our school, OUR TEAM--and we are CLOSE, thanks to this Head Coach and his staff close to hitting the kind of success that will finally let us accomplish things WITHOUT "help" from other teams and "lucky breaks" to somehow "fix" or make up for the inevitable "one let down" we seem to manage even in our Championship years. It is just RIDICULOUS to me that NOTRE DAME can manage a "Perfect Season" (it really ISN'T that, we all know--we all SAW it--barely "enough" against mediocre teams!) while we have to sink back into the shadows: We're BETTER than them! There it is: All the rest doesn't matter: We have to go undefeated...It really IS that simple...The rest is just "facts". So we weren't quite "THAT" team this season--Hey, we knew THAT going in--in fact, we are a LOT better than we thought, as it turns out "poised at the brink". OK: That is the goal, from now on, nothing less: Not "perfection", maybe, but TO WIN EVERY GAME. This is where playing in the SEC is an ADVANTAGE: Never MIND how anyone else sees it--WE'LL know we're "THE BEST".

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I did not expect USCw to beat ND, nor did I want the Gators to back into the BCS title shot. That being said, I think freshman Antonio Morrison was the MVG. That hit on EJ Manuel was ferocious! Even his fellow linemen Floyd and Easley were impressed. That hit turned the game around and ignited the 4th quarter point explosion.

On a side note, this was the first game that the entire family watched beginning to end this season, since there was no soccer or karate practice. They finally understand why this team is a hear attack waiting to happen.

miltongator

Gator Fan
(I WARNED you all I "would have something to say on all of this" once that game-at-the-end-of-the-regular-season was over...I probably SHOULD have thought it OUT ,ore, but I need to get it out and be DONE WITH IT. With apologies, then:)

Well, here it is, folks--This was REALLY frustrating to watch: And we had to rely on LANE KIFFEN to get it done for us? THAT was never gonna happen...The Irish may be an over-rated football team who will get rolled by Bama OR UGA in the "Plus One" (maybe UGA WORSE, I'm starting to think), but Kiffen is the worst "highly regarded Coach" in college football--and he proved WHY here tonight. They had EVERY chance to TAKE this game, and the play-calling of their COACH made this another "Luck of the Irish" bit of futility.
Meanwhile, "The Fighting Irish are Destiny's Darlings..." according to Brent Musberger---Yeah, like HOW IN HELL DOES THAT PITT KICKER MISS THE FG THAT WOULD HAVE BEATEN THEM IN THE 3RD OT?...In a game where they had the lead late and blew THAT, giving the Irish an opportunity they shouldn't have had in the 1st place...and that's just the one I clearly remember--there were at least 3 or 4 OTHER games where Notre Dame was BEAT against mediocre teams--their "luck", far as I'm concerned, was that they WERE up against "mediocre teams"--anyone even one notch ABOVE less-than-average would have knocked them off earlier--and we'd-have-been-DONE with them and all THIS!.
(Oh, and NOW it gets BETTER: Here is the guy I despise hearing talk now even more than Lane Kiffen: Urban "I'm-Having-a-Heart-Attack-NO!-I-Want-to-See-My-Family-No!-I'm-a-Lifelong-Gator-No!-I've-Been-a-Ohio-Man-All-My-LIFE-Snivel-Sniff-Sniff" My-ERRRR-No!-Crier-No!-LIAR singing his latest tune like a GEEK pukin'-up chicken heads, that's what his act looks and sounds like to ME now, right?)
These guys are ALL on "My LIST":
At the top is to BURY "That PHONY From Ohio (TPFO)"...
Next down would of COURSE be Notre Dame ANYTIME, ANYWHERE...
Next is Lane Kiffen, who couldn't manage a barely adequate game here tonight even for HIS team's sake...
And UGA has a new STRING of "Parties" we'll need to make sure they WANT to forget, of course...
What's YOUR "list"?
There are some others but these are at the top of mine--"a good start", as they say...ALL worthy of getting BEAT BADLY--sooner rather than later, so it's fine with ME seeing OTHERS drilling them...BUT as we saw tonight, usually it is just UNACCEPTABLE leaving this sort of thing in the hands of "Anyone ELSE"--We have DONE that the last FOUR times (the ONLY four times) we were headed for "The Top", losing ONE game instead of going undefeated, and been fortunate enough to get there ANYWAY--and WIN it 3 of 4 TIMES (the First time we got CLOBBERED by Nebraska when we got there--"there" being the Fiesta)--and in losing in J-ville that ONE time THIS season, to take it OUT of our own hands, we were depending on others AGAIN. It is WELL PAST TIME we stopped:
We NEED To Go UNDEFEATED.
It is a HARD thing to do, for ANY program, wherever they play--and EXCEPTIONALLY difficult in the SEC, obviously: But we must DO IT, and do it ONCE AND FOR ALL SOON--and then AGAIN...It'll get "easier" (if that is the word) after we get it done that first time.
I EXPECT US TO WIN OUT, GO UNDEFEATED, FOR AT LEAST TWO SEASONS IN A ROW--Do it in the next 2 or 3 years--then "reload" and go for it AGAIN!!
Still--can't help but HURT at the fact that our Nat'l Championship chances in the end slid by on TWO blown-chances late inside-the-five: One that WE FUMBLED away, and one that Kiffens' "Prophylactics" BUMBLED away--both with just moments left in the game...
It HURTS to know that we are, at this point, as good as ANY TEAM IN AMERICAN COLLEGE FOOTBALL--It makes us proud, sure, but it HURTS, too: You GOTTA know we would just FLATTEN that Notre Dame Team I just watched (and blown AWAY that Trojans team--I mean THAT was like one of the SEC's LESSER teams--like, let's see, hmmm, Tennessee? Could THAT be a coincidence?)...I'm guessing maybe N.D. does a little better for a half or so, but the outcome is inevitable--and if we play like we played all but about 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter TONIGHT, we beat anybody, even N.D--Hell, ESPECIALLY N.D.--by a couple of TDs MINIMUM. The way we responded to that "6 minutes" PROVED that!
What we saw in ourselves TONIGHT when we finally pulled it all together and rallied, when we "formed up and started to become what we are truly destined to BE", a balanced, powerful TEAM that functions efficiently in ALL phases of the game, we glimpsed for the first time what that will mean: We will be RELENTLESS, able to dictate not just the outcome but the flow and pace of a game.
Don't misunderstand me--we won't EVER be "PERFECT"; a TEAM is fundamentally a"collection of imperfect individuals", after all--"perfection" is something you MAY, with practice, discipline and sacrifice for one another, achieve for a few precious moments in a game now and then, here and there--But you GO FOR IT TOGETHER, as a "team", the pursuit itself for its own sake--and the high points you achieve along-the-way amount to the only "pay-off" we'll get except the effort itself...ALL of us who make UP this "program": School, Coaches, players and US, The FANS. When all is said and done, you know, WE are the school, WE ARE THE PROGRAM. WE are "the constant": everyone ELSE "comes and goes", but us and the buildings.
What am I getting at? This is our program, our school, OUR TEAM--and we are CLOSE, thanks to this Head Coach and his staff close to hitting the kind of success that will finally let us accomplish things WITHOUT "help" from other teams and "lucky breaks" to somehow "fix" or make up for the inevitable "one let down" we seem to manage even in our Championship years. It is just RIDICULOUS to me that NOTRE DAME can manage a "Perfect Season" (it really ISN'T that, we all know--we all SAW it--barely "enough" against mediocre teams!) while we have to sink back into the shadows: We're BETTER than them! There it is: All the rest doesn't matter: We have to go undefeated...It really IS that simple...The rest is just "facts". So we weren't quite "THAT" team this season--Hey, we knew THAT going in--in fact, we are a LOT better than we thought, as it turns out "poised at the brink". OK: That is the goal, from now on, nothing less: Not "perfection", maybe, but TO WIN EVERY GAME. This is where playing in the SEC is an ADVANTAGE: Never MIND how anyone else sees it--WE'LL know we're "THE BEST".

You know, this team has finally made me a believer. They have more heart than any Gator team I can remember. I paced a good 10 miles during this game and never sat down. It was worth every step!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You know, this team has finally made me a believer. They have more heart than any Gator team I can remember. I paced a good 10 miles during this game and never sat down. It was worth every step!
Totally, Gator. (Read my comment after travisduncan's latest column (just posted here at GE) on the win at Doak:
As I say there, I have never been prouder of a Gator team than I was in how we responded to that "disastrous 2nd Act" last night.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
miltongator
ALSO, Consider this: Imagine if THIS were 2014, about to be picked as either the 3rd or 4th team in the "4-Team Play-Off"--and there'd be some controversy about THAT--Would they try to bump us down with Oregon, even after that performance last night? The truth is though, I doubt it would matter. We'd have JUST the right attitude now, that it didn't matter and we'd "play who we PLAY"...because we'd KNOW we were "hitting on all cylinders", that we ARE the best team and that, rather than worry about "cooling off" in the intervening month, this team would only be getting HEALTHY and preparing to be even better: That kind of team, that kind of staff, and that kind of "destiny": It is ironic that SEC teams won't necessarily NEED to be "undefeated" to insure a place in that Championship Play-Off anymore, right about the time we'll finally be a team that is capable of DOING it, repeatedly. That's FINE, though: As I say above, I don't EVER again want to see us "needing anything from ANYONE" to get where we are DESTINED to be ON OUR OWN.

miltongator

Gator Fan
With where this team is now, I have no doubt they would win it all.

And, don't miss the fact that the SEC and the ACC faced off in 4 games this weekend. The SEC won all 4.

Escambia94

I have tried to snag Breakfast with the Gators via TV, radio, or Internet out here in Los Angeles to no avail. I guess I will have to wait for it to be posted to YouTube.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have tried to snag Breakfast with the Gators via TV, radio, or Internet out here in Los Angeles to no avail. I guess I will have to wait for it to be posted to YouTube.
There are 3 different weekly Gator-themed shows here on T/W on Sun. morning--each of them different in how "wide" their coverage of Gator Sports--and this morning, even the LEAST-football-oriented one, "Gatorzone", had a piece with Will Muschamp "going to and from the road-game against the Seminoles in Tallahassee"...Watched every minute of every ONE of them...SO much better than SportsCenter and the like, where at best 90 seconds of highlights-of-the-game cut and described a certain way to fit their time-slot AND POV, then (worst of all) that agenda dictating the logical NEXT games' highlights crashing in, first Notre Dame's, then all the others that at best waste our time as they "frame" this and drown out that, all the frustrating and/or disappointing and/or manipulative slants that do nothing for US BUT make us feel worse about the way things have been MADE to "turn out": Remember, this is all part of a version of the "official outcome", given us by a phony system and a few "image builders"--truth is, it's neither "official", nor an "outcome" commonly agreed-upon by ANYONE but a handful of "sponsors", "networks", and "well-connected boosters", all representing large PRIVATE financial interests. Soon it'll be 2014 and another one like the fine season we just fought through will put us IN that "4-Team Playoff"--and we can finally THANK that tough SEC-Schedule that everyone deep down admits is harder than anyone else's for being able to say THAT with confidence.
I STILL feel that going after "unblemished" a record is the ONLY way to ENSURE our place--as I also believe that we will do it for the first time within the next couple of years, finally break through to get it done, that one season without a loss. I'd sure like it to be NEXT season, the last one when it will still make the whole difference.

Escambia94

Check out this video I found that covers all the Gator offensive plays from the refSU game:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was interesting...OK, 2 obvious things: First, helluva quick review of the game--its ups and downs, too...helped to have seen it all the way thru' the first time, but with that, it worked as a "refresher". Second, it's a great look at our OC's gameplan--and a thing-of-beauty it was, don't you agree? Balanced, daring at times, with good pace and execution (except for that "pre-vent victory' defense the last minute or so of the 1st half and that 5 minutes or so early in the 2nd, when absolutely nothing went right for us...), on Saturday night we saw again how this Gator team beat the top teams it faced in its SEC schedule, and why, as Jesse Palmer put it in the BCS-Countdown on Sunday night, "When they run and play defense like they did against FSU the Gators are "the best team in college football this year". Unfortunately most of the voters either didn't see the game, or were busy "explaining away" what they DID see from the opening KO in order to be able to dismiss it.
From now on, since we have for years been "dealt with" by the media "image verifiers" in a kind of glossed-over, "pretend-even-handed"-version of what we experience all-the-time from troll/haters on our own (more public) sites as extreme contempt and ripping-attacks, we need to face this, head on and realistically: as we never have and won't be covered or appraised fairly, we can't leave it in any one else's hands but our own--if we havn't learned that by now, we should have with how things turned out at and since "The Cocktail Party"...
So here's how it must work from now on:
We take care of our own business. In other words, we will just have to win every game, go undefeated from now on...FOR THE SAKE OF US ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHING WHAT WE HAVE BEEN PUT TOGETHER AND WORKED SO LONG TO ACHIEVE!

Escambia94

My notes:
  • Brent Pease does a great job of coming up with a plan, but we seem to lack the right personnel at the flanker positions. In about 1/4 of the formations, there are 'trips' or otherwise stacked receivers to one side, with at least one guaranteed open receiver who is either the outlet or the designated target. Only Reed or Burton seem to succeed at breaking free. The others are not running the right routes, or they are only in the play to throw a block or run a pick.
  • Our flankers (after seeing the video I cannot call them wide receivers) are excellent at blocking. It is very apparent that they have spent a few years as pass-blocking flankers instead of route-running receivers.
  • Our tight ends are very good at transitioning from blocking to receiving.
  • If this offense had to face a PAC-12 defense, I bet we could run for 500 yards without throwing for more than 95 yards. This is what they are built for!
  • Moving the pocket was a great idea against an aggressive defense. Also, Driskel seems to get better vision of his receivers when he is moving. I think he is not comfortable making decisions behind that offensive line. He likes rolling out so he can have 4 full seconds to make his reads. Pease will need to identify that and make him comfortable reading defenses more quickly. I am not sure that Pease actually likes moving the pocket.
  • How about that #1 defense of FSU? Ha!
  • For next year, if we get two new receivers and a more experienced WR coach (after Aubrey Hill left it become a graduate assistant), this offense will be much, much better. I am not predicting a top-ten offense, but I do predict an offense in the top fifty.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94,
To the first point: "Ya THINK?"
To the next 4: "Agree completely!"
To the 6th (penultimate) point: "Damn STRAIGHT!" (We said as much before hand.)
Finally, re the last: That "grad. assistant" is apparently Pease's "promising young protege", who is learning-on the-job with the OC's oversight and hands-on focus on the role...he didn't want to rush to bring in someone else who might (in fact likely would) be inclined to tamper with his/their plans for who they had, who they were pursuing in the next class, what Pease has in mind as to what form their eventual passing game will take, and how they will bring the new players along--and the "grad. assistant" is being trained in all of it. Pease and Muschamp want to bring in a Receivers Coach, but one that is in sync with their plans and overall philosophy, that he can turn over a lot of the day-to-day duties of training and preparation without losing continuity, or the seamless planning of a team all working for the same practical and emotional goals. I've asked questions about all of this just because it seemed that not having a receiver's coach was a mistake, was a part of what might be holding us back in our passing game: For eg., look at how our young receivers don't often come back to the QB, don't begin maneuvering into open patches when JD breaks from the pocket. From what I understand, this has been a major topic-of-"discussion" for much of the season, but it has yet to "take", it seems: in the heat of the moment, so far most of them most often revert to "bad old habits". Someone needs to start riding herd on them, evidently, next year for sure--and if that means bringing in something of an "outsider", so be it...the idea was to make it to the post-season, as I understand it, so now we'll see...

Escambia94

If I wanted to bring in a receiver's coach, I would grab another Gator Great. Dwayne Dixon coaches the Ohio University Bobcats. Chris Doering is still in Gainesville doing sports radio, and has joked about coaching. Bush Hamdan could still be the Brent Pease protege, but there needs to be a veteran there to coach up the things that only come with experience. Someone like Doering would be nice--a definite blue collar, over-achiever that defied the odds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema