• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day Thread: Wildcats @ Gators - 9/22

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With my already weird schedule these days, AND this game with a REALLY early start time (12:01pm Eastern=11:01 for me--hanging out at girlfriend's, still with some time on my hands before she gets home and not expecting to crash 'till dawn if I get much sleep at ALL), I figured it was a good idea and time to start this week's Gameday Thread NOW...
A couple of side-points leading into this one: First, completely off-topic is the latest news coming out of Columbus, one more piece of evidence that Urban Meyer is the ultimate "liar of convenience" in the form of this quote, saying that tOSU's QB "Braxton Miller is more talented than Tebow"....Don't even know where to begin in reacting to that one..."Meyer the Liar" indeed...
More apropos of this game, yet almost as hard to get my head around, is the apparent statistical anomaly that, according to the stat-keepers and analyzers, UK is currently ranked as the top passing offense in the SEC (!)...Who thinks this strange fluctuation in the college football continuum should not only be headed for oblivion this weekend, but in fact is one more dazzling demo of the truth behind that old Harry Truman line about there being 3 kinds of un-truths: "Lies, DAMN lies, and STATISTICS"?
OK, let's turn our attention to the game itself...There've already been some concise analysis and comments on the subject of the ultimate outcome elsewhere here at GE in the last few days, the gist of which being that the only real discussion is how early and how badly will the starters be required to stay in there and run up a comfortable score, and just how badly that eventual blow-up will be. Aside from a few well-qualified "they don't play the games on paper"-type cautionings (mostly on other Gator sites), realistically the largest concern is how much this team has learned from and advanced beyond the kind of faltering over-confidence it displayed in last season's Furman game, where we fell behind 22-7 early, finally took the lead in the 2nd half, and only made it LOOK "respectably dominant" on the scoreboard with a couple of late-game pick-sixes. That was for our sixth win, you'll recall, and securing a late-season shot at a bowl-berth...this team, it's attitude and general progress and state-of-mind at this point in THIS season I think makes this much less likely, even WITH a bye AND a big game at home against LSU coming up the week after that.
What we all want and NEED of course is a spirited early start from the whole team, in all its phases, one that gives us a chance to sharpen up on offense, shut down THEIRS while forcing turnovers , eliminate penalties and above all else come out of it as healthy as we go in, while giving the necessary rest to our walking wounded--some of whom will have a full three weeks of recovery-time before the Tigers-game, IF we are able to keep them all out of harm's way while galloping to comfortable dominance. These ARE the kind of games in which a good team has it's way without having to over-extend itself, after all--and it's about time we started getting that done in these kinds of situations once more.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Glad I get the SEC Network out here in SoCal. I am able to watch this game!@
I do NOT here in TX--at least I can't seem to find it here on my girlfriend's "Hulu"-access...I THOUGHT it was supposed to be doable here and started messing with it about 45 min. ago, to no avail thus far...I'll go back to it in a moment:
Meanwhile, we go 3-and-out and seem to be starting slow again. Geez--and now KY is immediately moving the ball on US? Already at midfield, now inside our 40 on anothewr 10 yd. pick-up...WHAT IS WRONG WITH US AND THESE SLOW, LACKADAISICAL STARTS???

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--4th-down...Going for it: Gator ball on the incomplete--and no penalties, thankfully.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--Back where we were a couple of moments ago at the start of the game...now let's get down TO it...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Not anyone else's problem, obviously, but I can find just about every other game that is on right now here--but no Gators...this is really disappointing).
Thank God for our kicking game--AGAIN our offense begins poorly--and against a team that we should be able to handle easily, it appears.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--good field position...it's time to begin to assert ourselves...obviously the plan here is to run the ball early and often, control the line-of-scrimmage and wear them down, bigtime--only THEY are not cooperating. These Wildcats are NOT lying down for us...doesn't sound quite as bad as Furman, not with our D playing steadier at least, and even if Kentucky, they're STILL an SEC team, with pride...We need more than 5 yards of offense on 2 possessions!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nice! (OK--here is on the "Highlight Channel", at least.) 2nd and goal at the 2...Damn! Off of Hammond's hands on an overthrow by Driskel (Ouch--2-for-5). STUPID penalty here. Now back to a long 3rd down inside the redzone.
Terrible series! Have to settle for the FG after that great couple of plays...we just don't look sharp today--especially Jeff, so far. FG good.

awebbf5

VIP Member
i think muschamp is calling basic stuff, not show lsu nothing just trying to grind out a win, but our defense is playing pretty soft.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As sharp as our young QB was LAST week, when HE started well even while the rest of the offebnse did NOT, this time you'd have to put a great deal of our choppiness on him--except he ALSO was responsible for our one great play so far, that beautiful fake-and-run down the sideline.
(We just have a MONEY kicking game) OK--Defense will have to spark this team, it seems, this week. Keep us in control until the running game gets in gear. Once it does, things will work out. DAMN, we screwed up on that draw play again--SH*T! Floyd's down! Get up, get up, trot off--PLEASE!
What is our PROBLEM today? Their RBs are getting better yardage than ours so far! OK--3rd and long coming again. Now: let';s shut 'em DOWN here! DAMN! We had coverage, and somehow he gets it--on a play where we SHOULD have been able to break it up at LEAST! They are MOVING the ball again. Gotta stop this team before they get the idea they can stay with us...
OH MAN, that was close! This Wildcat team is playing well--we are better than them, but we have AGAIN come out relatively flat (here comes Floyd back out).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK!~ Nice hook-up with Dunbar, who came back for it--something the receivers HAVEN'T been doing. Sack. Driskel seems to have backslid a bit so far. Pass downfield--HAMMOND! Nice throw!
OK, here's the pattern developing: They are squeezing us--crowding the line-of-scrimmage on runs, AND playing our receivers really close downfield...so the thing we need to do to bust this open is to send our receivers PAST the defenders into the deep secondary on some plays. Use the long pass to set everything ELSE up...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here comes a steady dose of Gilly--Why not? That's the plan for today, obviously...down to the 11 now, 2nd down coming: Gilly down to the 7...3rd and a couple inside the 10. Pass to Joyer! CLOSE--but at least 1st down at the 1...
Gilly TD! Very nice drive--more like what we expected, tho' a little later than maybe desired.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thing is here, tho' we've again been hardly impressive coming out, we've just come through a start that has to be about as good as KY could manage or even hope for--and we're STILL up 10-0 at the start of the 2nd qrtr. Now they HAVE to open it up (or TRY to), which OUGHT to give us a chance at some picks...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does anyone get the feeling we have ANYTHING to fear here if we just play OUR game? Maybe THAT is part of the problem. We are just not afraid....where we've HAD to be the last 2 weeks.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PICK! All the way down to the 23! Gator ball! Nice snag down low by Saunders. Here's Brown--best run by him this year, but dumb procedure penalty. DAMN! We are just choppy on offense, STILL...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Are they calling this a hold? No WAY! BS call! The KY guy fouled DUNBAR!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema