• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day Thread: Wildcats @ Gators - 9/22

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nice run Jones, down inside the KY 30. Steady diet of runs now, as expected at this point. Both Brown AND Jones have looked OK today, tho' Jones still looks like the guy with "live legs", running extra hard today.
Jones off-tackle, down to the 18. Jones runs to the 13 for a 1st down. Jamming it down their throats here. Jones DRIVING it inside the 5. Next play to the 3...1st down and goal at the 2. Brisset on the sneak--TD! Nice ball-control drive--just what we SHOULD be doing to this team in the 4th qrtr.
The encouraging part of this one is that we pretty well get the same kind of result against an over-matched (but still SEC) team even on an off-day for us...Even with the better part of 2/3 of a qrtr left, you don't get the feeling that KY will score on us, even with the back-ups (and BACK-UPS to back-ups) in there--on BOTH sides of the ball.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They're making some plays now...C'mon, D--let's get that shut-out!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
4th and 10 now for KY, on our side of the field...we take it at our own 6 on the punt. OK, they know what's coming: Let's run it down their throats and out ANYWAY.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So: 38-0, a shut-out, and an easy win after all...We go into a by-week, and after that a tough October stretch, 4-and-0, same record as last year, but there is little doubt we are a better team. Still not sure how we'll match up against the top SEC-teams--mainly 'cause we haven't YET put together a complete game, something we'll at least have to come closer to if we're to compete against them well-enough to win a couple of those games.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Looking back on this one, three concerns:
(1) We did NOT get that "quick start".
(2) Dumb penalties were back, to some extent.
(3) Though they eventually tightened up (and AGAIN adjusted REALLY well at the half) and eventually got (and deserved) the shut out, the defense again had its share of trouble and sloppy play, missing tackles and containment in the opposition's running game, especially in the first half.
Oh well: on an off-day, when Driskel got his first INT and Sturges his first missed FG of the season (actually tipped on the way up), we still managed to get done what NEEDED to get done, picking up a "dominant win" almost in SPITE of ourselves...After monitoring some of the other games (like tOSU's difficulties with 'Bama/Birm), you'd have to say that this team did (and generally seems to) take care of the business at hand, regardless. Though not the smooth, impressive romp we might have hoped for, what we saw instead was, on the other hand, really good news of another sort entirely.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, if that's what we can do in a game where we're the better team having a mostly indifferent game, well, it does hint at what we might be capable of if/when we DO put a complete effort together, beginning-to-end.
Meanwhile, there have been, and continue to be a number of interesting games today, some with especially "interesting" outcomes. The Auburn/LSU contest has been one of those, where Auburn has put together their best defensive performance; if they had ANYTHING but a decent running game on offense they might have found a way to pull this one out, but it seems like those other "Tigers" are "geaux-ing" home winners if/whey they can manage one more first down late...
Now, the FSU/Clemson game has been wild, and Clemson HAD taken a 2 TD lead early in the 2nd half--but the 'Noles have finally popped a long one over 60 yds all the way down to the Clemson 10...and now they score--about to be 28-21 (Clemson still with the lead) with plenty of tine to go).
It's weird: logic tells me that I should root for FSU in this one, that I should want them as highly-ranked as possible when we play them at the end of the year, just in case we ARE in contention for a high ranking of our own by then--but I just cannot bring myself to cheer for them (similarly, I could never bring myself to cheer for the Braves in baseball, even though they were the closest team to Northern Fla. back when I lived there, all because they use that equivalent of the "Tomahawk Cheer" I loathe so much). Clemson manages a long FG to bring their lead back to 10 pts., with a qrtr and a third or so to go. Lots of time the way this Seminole team can move the ball--they appear balanced in this regard, with both a strong defense AND explosive offense--AND special teams too: On the ensuing KO, the return-guy takes it back all the way to the Clemson 11-yd-line. Like I say, "wild game". Touchdown on the 2nd play from scrimmage: 31-28, Clemson still ahead but FSU coming on strong now, driving down the field with just over a qrtr left to go.
Btw, even though LSU did end up beating Auburn, today the latter DID show that with their talent on defense and at RB, if they play up to THEIR strengths they ARE capable of tying up ANYONE and giving them a game--remember that, Gators. We already KNEW how tough facing LSU would be, but this Auburn team will be a hurdle as well, a team you need to knock down EARLY--something we haven't done YET this season. Overall, in the SEC AND against these Seminoles, we just need to play OUR game, execute our game plan each week and dictate play as much as possible on both sides of the ball--like championship-caliber teams tend to do...but along with NOT putting together complete efforts, start-to-finish, this is something we're apparently not up to yet--and we better get there if we want to eventually BE one of those teams.
Now the 'Noles have scored to take the lead, 35-31, all in a rush while I wrote the last paragraph--OK, this Seminole team IS more like one of its teams from the 90s, with talent and coaching that enables them apparently to "flip the switch" and take over a game at its crucial point...we will need to get a LOT tighter, more efficient AND explosive on offense, eliminating confusion, errors, missed tackles and broken tackles on defense if we are to eventually be ready to match up with them THIS season. From midway in the 3rd qrtr with the game on the line they have just responded to the pressure, "dialed it all up a notch" and basically taken OVER this game. Like the best teams in the SEC, on their best days rising to the challenge against real competition, to beat THIS FSU team you must meet them with your motor already well-warmed up as a team--and even then you will have to weather an onslaught or two in the course of play--and have at least one of your OWN ready to hit THEM with late, if you want to BEAT 'em.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
anyone know if jelani will be back for lswho.
I understand (from Muschamp's comments coming into this game--for what that's worth) that he IS coming along a little faster than expected, that they'd cut the cast off by later next week and "take a look"--so supposedly there's a chance, at least, with the by-week...
...Hoping Gilly is back at 100% too, and can go the whole game, spelled by Jones & Brown (the former looked good, the latter looked "better than he's shown so far"--but that was against what has been the worst run-defense in the SEC, and anyway NEITHER of 'em is up to where Gillissley-at-full-power has been this season), get him at least 20+ carries.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Great win! Got the shut out, get some rest and come out swinging after a week of rest to take down the the mad hatter! CHOMP CHOMP
I get the feeling that though there'll be "healing", there'll be little "rest" for this team anytime soon...If I wasn't sure of it BEFORE hearing Chomp's post-game comments, I am now:
He and his coaches were unhappy with much of what they saw from this team out there today--and they have a looonnng LIST--and plenty of video-evidence, I'm sure--of the many errors, breakdowns, penalties, miscues, missed opportunities and outright failures on both sides of the ball, by every unit, starters and back-ups, that all will be forced to examine and work on in the days ahead--before even turning to LSU and the installation of a game plan for THAT one by NEXT weekend.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
At a certain point I had all the early games in the SEC up on PIP today, and got a chance to get a kind of "overview/impression" of what our stiffest competitors in the East (and beyond) look like as they now begin to hit their mid-season stride...and no surprise, both the Gamecocks AND the Dogs looked strong throughout. Here's the thing, too: we'll have to beat TWO of Georgia, South Carolina, LSU and Auburn to have a shot at 9 wins BEFORE we face the 'Noles, which obviously will be no picnic itself. We'd have to get substantially healthier AND improve play across-the-board to do it, but if this Gator team CAN make it to TEN wins, I am determined to remember to appreciate how much of an accomplishment that really would be! (ie. for this team, this year, at this point in its development...NEXT year we may well be justified in expecting at LEAST that total in the regular season)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(did I just hear Kirk Herbstreet on Sportcenter/College Post Game say, "In the East, Florida is a HUGE story..."?!!
We who've watched every moment of every Gator game thus far have a a few reservations yet, want to see us correct a few VERY correctible flaws, weaknesses and inconsistencies before drinking THAT cool-aid, but it still is good to hear the story at least beginning to change from the one we were hearing from the same folks coming INTO the season...)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Keep in mind against LSU. They got three things going for them. 1. It's at G-Ville, 2. They have a week off prior to the game, and 3. LSU almost lost to of all teams Auburn today.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I missed the game due to my birthday celebration. A win is a nice birthday present.
Happy B-day, E-! (...tho' even with "the sure thing" you can't tell me you didn't at least keep an eye on what was happening in the game--friends and fam, anyone who knows you has to know and understand the truth)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Keep in mind against LSU. They got three things going for them. 1. It's at G-Ville, 2. They have a week off prior to the game, and 3. LSU almost lost to of all teams Auburn today.
Yes--and they (LSU) looked BEATABLE yesterday, no doubt about it...It wasn't as if Auburn had such a great game. It'll still take more of a complete game than we've shown so far, but I'm now a bit more confident about our chances in this one: we now HAVE some. In fact, considering all the factors you mention, Lf, if we CAN put our best start-to-finish effort out there in 2 weeks, we can and will win this game after all. (Then look out for the hype: All the UNDERestimation we got before the season, if we got any mention at all, will have somehow turned to "How 'bout them Gators?" and "I told you so!" in the days after a Gator victory over LSU, you watch...Oh well, of all the possible "problems" we might face, I'll take that one...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm watching the replay of yesterday's game right now, and while there ARE a lot of things to work on, sloppiness and uneven, inconsistent play lacking continuity, "flow", we DID do a lot of things right. I especially like the way we kept coming--even when there WERE mistakes, set-backs, good plays taken away by drop or penalty, whether our fault or wrongly called by the officials, we didn't let it stop us or get us down: We just went back to the huddle, "drew up another one", came back and got it done right. I give coaching, Driskel's growth as a leader, and the whole TEAM credit for this clear attitude-change...We ARE a calmer, tougher and more determined team than we've been in a long time, certainly since the last few years. This has to be a reflection of our Head Coach, his practical AND philosophical approach. It is certainly no coincidence that as he brings in more and more of "his type of guys" among the coaches and players, and influences the ones who were here and stayed, we have taken on a new and distinct identity. I now believe that once we get healthier, bring in another recruiting class, and begin to develop the kind of talented DEPTH that only a handful of the elite teams possess, once we can run WAVES of high talent, high character, superior-conditioned and still-fresh athletes in throughout a game, the word that will best describe the team Muschamp & Co. are building, that "Gator Team-to-be" that we are now beginning to see come together, is "relentless". We are in the process of becoming one of those special teams that just keeps on coming, no matter what anyone else runs OR throws at us.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Happy B-day, E-! (...tho' even with "the sure thing" you can't tell me you didn't at least keep an eye on what was happening in the game--friends and fam, anyone who knows you has to know and understand the truth)

I get game day texts from ESPN and I follow the live blog on GatorZone.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Leakfan12 & DRU2012: I agree with both of you. LSU looks very beatable. On top of that, Florida has beaten LSU teams that had better athletes than the Gators. The Mad Hatter never claims to win pretty--he just coaches to get more points than the other team. It looks to me that Muschamp might be similar--there is no need to win pretty, just win with more points.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema