• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day Thread: Florida vs. Furman

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Up until now, it has been Weis' offense I felt needed the most work, but today it is the defensive staff that must shoulder the blame--and "blame" IS warranted this time. As I said earlier, this is the first time I have had to question the coaches and their preparation. (4th down--THAT was a "bullet-dodging drive"--we didn't REALLY stop them 'til right at the end there, with the sack) Foley won't fire Muschamp, I don't believe, but he MAY "discuss" the possibility of "shaking up" the REST of the staff--only THAT messes with recruiting TOO, and recruiting is the main concern now, ESPECIALLY if we LOSE this one...
WHICH JUST MAY HAVE BECOME LESS LIKELY--Debose in a NICE pass from JB, great catch by Debose.
(I DON'T agree with the 2-point try here--"Don't chase points until late in the game" is the basic theory. Takes the wind out of your sails when you miss--and we just DID--and you never know how that may come back to haunt you--I HATE that we even have to WORRY about that in this game, but given how they have moved the ball on us so far, we may well BE in a shoot-out...GOD, that is hard to say!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Come ON! Gator off sides by a MILE! Man, we have chosen the exact wrong time to return to bad habits...
we stop 'em anyway. Alright. We ARE finally starting to turn them back---Blocked punt!!!
Gator ball at Furman 37! You may be right after all, mjfan. Still, I won't relax 'til we are up at LEAST 3 TDs. THERE'S ANOTHER!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, we HAVE "responded" on offense. If our "D" really has extracted their heads from their butts, we MAY yet survive this day. Reed's hurt--THAT would be bad: he's one of our sparks, always working HARD...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That last drive petered-out badly: Sturgess is hurt again, I'm thinking--that's the problem with him, he is fragile, and we don't know about it until he suddenly goes from being near-perfect to completely unreliable. I understood missing the 50 yarder (though he makes those, and it WAS long enough, but that last one, when another of our mediocre WRs bounced it off his hands for what WOULD have been a TD, was a real let-down: we NEEDED that to end the half, at least).
Muschamp was talkng about that offense they were running, the "Dive Option", when they caught him on his way off the field...we need ALL the points we can get, and we have GOT to stop leaving so many wasted drives and "points on the field" against ANY team--obviously this year, but along with the penalties, this is a "bad habit" that seems to keep coming back, no matter what they work on in practice, and will CONTINUE to KILL us next year, if we don't get a handle on it now.
Anyway, Muschamp didn't pull any punches, on ANYONE, although he kept it general, not personal, which is his way. Noted that this was "something new", but 3 different separate "surprises" sprung at 3 key moments WORKING for TDs, he agreed with US that this was inexcusable, that they "all could see" WHAT had happened, but continued to be "one step behind in our heads and two steps on the field". I'm now at the point that I don't CARE about the explanations: GET THIS FIXED, MAN, and NOT just for the 2nd-half here, but in the very nature of our team--and the STAFF: they may not be able to get a lot of these guys to change their whole outlook, certainly not in a week or two, if at ALL (and the process of replacing them looms even larger, on the evidence of today's performance), but it is STILL their job to prepare them for BEING ABLE TO ADAPT, then to recognize what needs to be done, then help them to DO it ASAP. Today's first half has clearly shown that this staff has been weak in this crucial area of coaching, and it may well have played a part in some of our "close losses" though more often, I think the offense has let us down).
2nd Half Kick off...and it begins with a Gator personal Foul by ELAM on the KO!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Great. Big penalty, soft coverage, down at our end again. Geez, 7 yards, and we are in trouble AGAIN at the start of the half. We look "down" again. Still, this is inexcusable.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Looks like I'm alone here--don't blame y'all. This is looking like the FIRST half. How can our coaches let this happen again? We can't STOP them, again. NOW is when we HAD to take control. Instead, unless the defense actually contributes some great play they haven't shown any sign of pulling off, Furman WILL score again here. 3rd and goal from the 6...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
4th and goal. Hey, COACH! Think you might like that "point-after" NOW?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm tellin' ya--not that we should BE in this position in the first place, but I just don't understand why coaches even LOOK at a damn "card" to tell 'em when it's time to "go for 2"--you do it late, when it'll make major difference, and NOT BEFORE. Otherwise, THIS is what always happens. We could lose this game by 1 point. (Yeah. To Furman. We are in a "shoot-out" with FURMAN. I STILL can NOT get my brain around that idea).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does anyone have ANY confidence that our "D" can take over and hold a lead here?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What I'm saying, of course, is that now that our offense is going nicely, they NEED to run-it-up as much as possible, get a lead and keep GOING. Our only hope here. These Palladins BELIEVE. This could be another "lost drive"...now it's 4th down, and Sturgess isn't "money"...Finally...geez, we'd have NICE lead if he were "on" today.
Listen to me. I'm another "whining Gator" now, I guess, that's what it has come to. I plead "Guilty--with an explanation": "Horrible play and lackluster coaching made me do it! As evidence, I offer you the play-by-play of this game..."
We continue to be SOFT on both lines--but the D-line has been PATHETIC today. And our LOUSY take-away ratio has shown itself again today...AND penalties, stupid, TERRIBLY timed and USELESS penalties. We just GAVE them another set of downs. Here is my next in-game prediction: we get a take-way here, we take over; we let them drive on us, we LOSE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK: THIS drive HAS to end in a TD for us; THEN we need that take-away, an INT when they begin to throw more--which they WILL if we get ahead 2 scores and they begin to feel it slipping away, in spite of all the good things they've done (from their POV). We have a chance to finally re-establish ourselves here and BE the stronger team we MUST be SOMEWHERE underneath this sloppy mess.
Neither Demps NOR Rainey should be in there. Again, what about Gillisley to go with JOYER? Weis just seems to get one-track-minded with blinkers on with his "little fast guys"--and it CONTINUES to cost us--like here. Another "lost drive". (and doesn't Demps look like an old man at RB?).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If we don't pull it together NOW, we are going to let OSU off-the-hook on the hyped-up-failures front this weekend...

miltongator

Gator Fan
Just when you think we might actually start to play like we're capable ... let them get a long run for a TD. The defensive gurus have done it again.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dubose gets another one from Brantley! TD--on a bad route by Dubose (he originally gave UP on the play!)...well, we DID NEED that, so maybe things are starting to turn the way they SHOULD have gone in the first place. I don't believe that play works against ANY SEC team...but who cares right now? Fact is, as a bad team on a bad day, ill-prepared and out-coached, we'll take ANYTHING, right?
Big 77 yard run--we just let him run...couldn't stop him, couldn't run him down. "D" didn't even really TRY.
DISGUSTING. To tell the truth, we don't DESERVE to win this game. Our COACHES need to look in the mirror, too. I mean, these players should have done SOMETHING to try and stop him--but not this team, not today. I do not blame Muschamp directly for this defensive debacle, but HE has to consider what his staff has FAILED to do here today--and it is a LONG and LARGE list of failings. He already KNEW where all the weaknesses were among the players (or at least thought he did--we ALL may have to revise our estimation of what we DO have even LOWER than before)--now what?
Like I said: We are in a SHOOT-OUT. With Furman. I would NOT have believed this defense would look this bad against ANYONE, let alone a team so much smaller and slower than they.
Our offense has gone back to performing against lesser competition as they did early in this season, but our defense has really laid an egg here. Thing is, that offense has ALSO reverted to leaving points on the field in blown drives.
Brantley is back to missing guys again. He just can't roll out.
54 yarder from Sturgess. What the heck was wrong with ya earlier, guy? When he's on, he is our best weapon, in terms of reliability (unfortunately--we should have had a couple of more TDs here already today)...all the more damaging when he starts missing them. I guess you could say something similar for Brantley--he was HOT there for a while: even OUR receivers were getting big catches. Now he's cold again and it worries me--Furman can score on us.
TD! Pick Six!!! Finally, that take-away. NOW, if the defense can JUST tie them UP, we win this stupid thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema