• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

brandon spikes suspended?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
i heard meyer was going to deal with it him self.

If indeed that's true, IMO it's the right thing to handle it internally; even Coach Meyer admits that football can be a dirty game at times. Had the refs caught it, there would have at least been a 15-yard PF called on Spikes, if not a more severe penalty.

Even so, as a team captain Spikes should know better than to play dirty. Still, as Escambia and CaliZona alluded to, a lot worse things probably take place in the dogpile that go unnoticed by the officials.

Here's more on this episode: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/11/urban-meyer-might-have-talk-with-brandon-spikes-after-dirty-play.html

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
wow

To say its part of football and happens all the time is no excuse. A lot of things" just happen all the time" and it doesn't make it right. It was a dirty play no if and or buts about it. The fact it was caught on camera and Spikes is really trying to get at his eyes is so distasteful. What if he actually got to his eyes and done some real damage do we excuse it cause " its part of the game". That type of behavior has no place in football. To purposely try to hurt another player in that way is just pitiful. I'm sure he was full of emotion and all, and that's why I can forgive him but he needs to be punished in some way. He is our leader on defense and needs to set positive examples to our young linebackers. Can you imagine if he actually got to his eyes and possibly ended this young mans career. What would we be saying then?

Gretzky_99

Gator Fan
I think half a game is fair... I think he should be suspended. Things like that could cause permanent blindness in a guy, and it's NOT legal..

Sharon4Gators

Gator Fan
Gators have suspended him for half the Vanderbilt game. They won't miss him. I personally think there is a lot of that kinda stuff that goes on all the time, and to point a moralistic finger at one isolated incident is silly, especially as no one will be detered from doing it in the future.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I would have suspended him for the entire Vandy game, but that's just me.

Either way, I think this issue must be addressed somehow.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
The suspension should have been more severe and maybe the SEC should have dealt with it as well. I understand Football is violent all the time and on every play. We will never know what can go on when there is a pile like that, why someone might grab your RB's ankle and twist enough to take him out of the game.
We have seen it depicted in practically every football movie ever made from the 3Stooges to The Longest Yard and Leatherheads. Worse things probably went on in Footballs infancy. Still not acceptable.
I always thought we were above that kind of thing but I guess I'm always looking thru those UM approved Orange & Blue sunglasses........

2Bits

Gator Fan
^^ You really think that will move Spikes out of the first day of the draft??? I know some NFL teams will love that footage.

Here here! We rolled back the footage on that 3 or 4 times. It was dirty but we loved it! Have you heard of Ray Lewis? I think he carries a SHANK on the the field.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
To say its part of football and happens all the time is no excuse. A lot of things" just happen all the time" and it doesn't make it right. It was a dirty play no if and or buts about it. The fact it was caught on camera and Spikes is really trying to get at his eyes is so distasteful. What if he actually got to his eyes and done some real damage do we excuse it cause " its part of the game". That type of behavior has no place in football. To purposely try to hurt another player in that way is just pitiful. I'm sure he was full of emotion and all, and that's why I can forgive him but he needs to be punished in some way. He is our leader on defense and needs to set positive examples to our young linebackers. Can you imagine if he actually got to his eyes and possibly ended this young mans career. What would we be saying then?

He's the leader on a football team, not a Boy Scout squad. Another thing is if you let a drug addicted, pot smoking, wife beating, or loser athlete guide your actions and mold your transition to an adulthood, then you have bigger problems. That is reason # 5,327 that America is f***ed up--we choose the wrong heroes to look up to! Let your kids watch Spikes, but for cryin' out loud, teach them to find better role models. Football is about violence. It's about collisions. It's about men beating the $#*& out of other men to move a stinking ball a few yards at a time--it's not about teaching our kids when it's okay to gouge out someone's eyeballs! If Spikes blinded the other player I'd say, "Well, sucks to be you. That's part of the game. Next time, don't f*** with a 260-pound dude that knows how to hit...and eye-gouge."

half a game suspension. what you all think?

Meh. Don't care. If it shuts up the pansies decrying Spikes as a chid murdering dog raper, then fine, suspend him for half a game.

In a perfect world, each Gator would be a shining example at all times. I'm a realist. I just want half the Gators to stop fumbling the damn ball. If he kicks babies at night, I can live with myself.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
In my opinion, this was worse than what Spikes did.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edDTmix6vWs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Dockett was never suspended for that AND Graham was injured.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
That was the same punishment Meyer gave Tony Joiner for breaking in somewhere plus he lost his captain spot. I think Meyer should have taken given Spikes captaincy as well.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
In my opinion, this was worse than what Spikes did.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edDTmix6vWs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Dockett was never suspended for that AND Graham was injured.

Agreed, but then again that was Saint "boyaz will be boyaz" Booby we were dealing with.

That was the same punishment Meyer gave Tony Joiner for breaking in somewhere plus he lost his captain spot. I think Meyer should have taken given Spikes captaincy as well.

One difference though: Spikes didn't break any laws like Joiner did.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
He's the leader on a football team, not a Boy Scout squad. Another thing is if you let a drug addicted, pot smoking, wife beating, or loser athlete guide your actions and mold your transition to an adulthood, then you have bigger problems. That is reason # 5,327 that America is f***ed up--we choose the wrong heroes to look up to! Let your kids watch Spikes, but for cryin' out loud, teach them to find better role models. Football is about violence. It's about collisions. It's about men beating the $#*& out of other men to move a stinking ball a few yards at a time--it's not about teaching our kids when it's okay to gouge out someone's eyeballs! If Spikes blinded the other player I'd say, "Well, sucks to be you. That's part of the game. Next time, don't f*** with a 260-pound dude that knows how to hit...and eye-gouge."

Meh. Don't care. If it shuts up the pansies decrying Spikes as a chid murdering dog raper, then fine, suspend him for half a game.

In a perfect world, each Gator would be a shining example at all times. I'm a realist. I just want half the Gators to stop fumbling the damn ball. If he kicks babies at night, I can live with myself.

I'm not saying you should invite the guy to watch your kids for the weekend. Nor am I saying he should be your kids role model. Yes football is a violent sport but it does have rules. Boxing is a violent sport yet do we condone the biting of ones ear off. To answer that question it is no.There are rules for a reason, to try to have some sort of control of the game and to keep athletes as healthy as possible. Im not asking him to be perfect and I do believe he has already came out and apologize which I would expect any real man to do when he knows he has made a mistake. My point was we cant just excuse it cause its " part of the game" when we all know that the type of behavior displayed really has no business in any sport. I say good job Spikes for fessing up and apologizing. I really don't care about how long the suspension was as long as he knew it was a mistake and has learned from it. I trust in Myer to make that call.

eye gouging is not part of the game, why do you guys keep saying that?

you never see that and theres cameras everywhere now so if it was you'd see it

i know things are little more heated since its a rivalry game so ill just put it on that

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Beat me to it ShortBus..........
Some thought that Florida Coach Urban Meyer was too lenient in the suspension he gave to linebacker Brandon Spikes for trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey Saturday. Not Ealey.
He said this afternoon that he doesn’t even think that Spikes should have to sit out the first half of the Gators’ game against Vanderbilt Saturday.
“That didn’t really matter to me,” Ealey said. “That’s their decision. I think he shouldn’t have gotten suspended at all. We were just out there playing football.”
The SEC accepted Florida’s discipline of Spikes for his action after a play in Florida’s 41-17 victory. The incident has received national attention and much criticism.
Ealey said Spikes didn’t get to his eyes.
“I had my eyes closed,” Ealey said. “He really didn’t gouge my eyes. …I was just trying to get up as fast as I can.”

Ealey even posted an update on his Facebook page to let friends know that he was fine.
“I just said that my eyes were OK,” He said .”It was 20-20. He didn’t really get my hands close to my eyes.”
The game had its share of personal fouls and chippy moments between the teams.
On Georgia's second drive, Spikes used his helmet to hit Ealey on the helmet after
a Georgia penalty. Ealey pushed Spikes back and poked his hand under the chin strap of Joe Haden
CBS cameras also caught Nick Williams blasting Tebow late long after he handed the ball off on a running play.
“It was just a lot of emotion in the game,” Ealey said. “We were out there fighting. It was a big rivalry game. Everybody was talking trash back and forth.”
ORIGIN

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema