• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Worst Gator Losses

What is the worst Gator loss in history?

• 1980 Run Lindsay Run

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1976 4th and Dumb

• 1994 Choak at the Doak

• 2012 WLOCP

• OTHER (explain)

• Total voters

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Leakfan12, Escambia94
Remember, among the points I was trying to make above is the practical concern that, should Alabama fall from dominance, the rest of us are ALL in danger of losing a 2nd BCS game that we otherwise would be vying with each other for. Now, setting aside for a moment the whole "don't worry about THAT crap until we get through the 'One game at a time'-gauntlet", that possibility was based on my assumption that if they were to lose, it would be in Atlanta--unlikely as that may seem...perhaps y'all can explain to me how their losing BEFORE then could help US now. Don't get me wrong--if there IS some advantage for us, even if it's part of another of those "combo shots" we end up hoping for this time of year, I'm IN...I have no love for the Tide, obviously; I just figured that either we get a shot at beating the best in our Conference Championship and get to the BCS/National "Plus One" that way, or we win out and go to the Sugar bowl instead. I know there are other possibilities, some of them still possible with a close loss to FSU, but of all the eventualities to worry about now, that's gotta be way down there on the list, far as I'm concerned. Look, we're either "up to it" or we're not. Let's not start THINKING like "losers", huh?

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I'll kick the horse ... Florida beat Georgia on the football field, and they beat us on the scoreboard.

Next ...

If we don't have a shot at getting to Atlanta, then I'll be hoping for 'Bama to win out. I was defending the SEC last week at work and told everyone that the only way an SEC team wouldn't win another Title would be because we gave the last team with a chance a loss. I don't see Georgia losing to Auburn, so until that happens I'll be cheering for 'Bama to go all the way and hope we can finish our season out strong by getting some Offense established over the next few weeks and treat our next games like "practice", but not a Mizzou win by 7 practice, like a ... get an early gap and try some things out practice. We needs our ducks in a row when we play FSU, over the last 10 years the talent recruited from highschool has shifted from the state of Texas, and now its to Florida, hell, we have 15 starters this year that are "local", Rivals 250 List ... something like 60, and Florida produces more NFL Drafts than any other state. FSU vs UF is a huge recruiting tool and we need to chomp down and blow some Seminoles out of the park. I saw the thread "What the Gators could be with a Balanced Offense" .... well this game can produce that, imagine a few 4 star WRs, already 2 OL transfers, both at 300lbs, add in Kelvin Taylor and we are already building on whats considered a Top 5 recruiting class. We need this game, just like we needed a win vs Georgia, or for them to lose. Everything in our season now is "what ifs" and "hope they lose", but make no doubt about it, FSU vs UF will have recruiting impacts, for every 4 star player will lock down on, that could be one less we are facing next year. Not saying get out of the "one game at a time" mind frame, but we need to understand that there is more at stake than just pride, or an outside shot to an SEC title game this season. This could be the year that started our dominance again

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
aTm is the next threat to Bama. Just a couple weeks ago, few would give aTm a chance to beat Bama. Today, the aTm offense is much more explosive than the LSU offense that gave Bama a scare. The aTm defense is not as good as LSU's, but their offensive and defensive lines match up pretty well.

Yes, I would rather have an SEC team win the NC just to shut up the rest of the p-wee football conferences, but aTm might be good enough to throw a wrinkle into that scenario.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94, NaffGutts, Leakfan12
I've been thinking about all the points raised here, along with some others floating among the active threads, and figured on throwing them out there all at once:
--These days, highly-rated prospects are looking for programs that appear ready to "bounce back up to" or are already "in the process of returning to" Championship-challenger-status AND, at the same time, offer the shortest and likeliest path to the starting line-up...so, while "pride" and performance are not irrelevant, a close game with support from your fans (harder, but still somewhat doable and all the more impressive on-the-road cross-state) will in most cases keep a loss from damaging in the eyes of that prospect.
--That doesn't mean winning isn't important, and can't help in a close decision--for that and many OTHER reasons having to do with final rankings, bragging rights, and "buzz" going into the Bowl season and beyond--INCLUDING NSD and spring ball--obviously we still want to win--BAD!
--...Which in turn brings us to what we can get from these next 2 games in developing further whatever passing schemes our OC has been working on--in order to both prepare for that "big one" at the end, AND just to build some confidence and FUN in for our starters, not to mention giving the backups some extended in-game work after the half each week in blow-outs, for a change--Maybe we can even get out of them injury-free and go into FSU-week HEALTHIER than we are now.
--We want as high a profile as possible by January (ie. just before Feb.1): I am personally convinced that our seeming distance-from-return-to-SEC-dominance at the end LAST Jan. was the one piece lacking that explains our missing so often on high-value prospects, especially at WR, which really hurt us (is STILL hurting us) this season. All the more reason to win-out, no matter WHO we're playing, and the high-profile of that last game only heightens that importance--and a really good time to show the nation that our QB at least CAN throw the ball, in an offense designed by OH YEAH "that guy from Boise St".--"...and imagine what YOU could do in that offense, if starting as a freshman--which is entirely POSSIBLE on this team, young man!"
--One more thing, and this is sort of off to the side worrying some of us, hanging over our heads once the season comes to an end...I talked to my "source" and some others regarding offers, what's coming in, what's rumored, and what Pease's at least outward attitude seems to be regarding them, and what I got back is far from definitive, but apparently Ky. is real, but "unlikely" (when asked by a reporter close to the team "casual and off the record"--Remember, now: This IS 3rd-hand "off-the-record"--Pease actually "laughed it off with a chuckle" with some comment about "not having come all this way to crawl into THAT hole...") There HAVE been inquiries since, however, that by rule and contract he has quietly passed along "permission-to-listen"-paperwork on--but every Coach in the SEC who has any success and/or a developing profile has signed a set of those--just to keep themselves "legit" if-and-when they find themselves in the same room as ANYONE from another program and someone, ANYONE there is talking about "the future" in even the most general way--arcane NCAA rules being what they are in such matters.
I'm as nervous about such talk as anyone--neither Muschamp or the team in general, on the one hand, nor JD specifically on the other, can really stand ANOTHER change at OC...we'll NEVER develop the kind of confidence, coherence, and consistency as a unit without the same steady hand in charge for several years at least.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Here's another loss I like to add, my sister chose FSU over coming UF (I tried but her decision). She does go to UF for law school but will still consider herself a Nole.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here's another loss I like to add, my sister chose FSU over coming UF (I tried but her decision). She does go to UF for law school but will still consider herself a Nole.
Some real basic "parting of the ways" among childhood friends over this back when I was in high school...we'd still see each other at Christmas, etc. for a couple of years, tried to keep the "banter" good-natured as possible, but never the same--there was an edge to it that grew into mistrust, and finally a complete separation...mutual friends who didn't "go up north" to college knew better than to mention one to the other. Your situation's a bit different, Lf, and family is family (and who knows what can go into a WOMAN'S decision, on top of everything else?), but I imagine that could make for some very "spirited" Thanksgivings!

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Well I think #4 on your list should be #1 since we should have won that game and it happened only a few weeks ago... And #3 should be #2 pathetic how they quit and blantiently obvious it was that they quit.

And at #3 I'd add the Capitol one bowl we lost with our heisman tebow against Michigan, and I'm probably ranking it so high cuz I was there for the smelly loss...

So my list is

1. Uga recent loss.
2. Sec loss aka the quitters
3. Capitol one bowl vs Michigan, they wanted it more....

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Sad part about the 2007 season, you make a case for every lost that season. Georgia and Michigan games, it seems it was their offenses against the High School All-Stars Defense it was that bad. I think they should have won that LSU game but two turnovers late in the game and that Les Miles going for it six times and they couldn't stop them. Honestly I wish that turncoat would have order one of his players to knockover Miles and Richt. I think the Auburn game hurt the most because they lost two games against South Florida and Miss State (though both teams won at least eight games and went to bowl games) and that 2007 Gators offense couldn't to jacks--t against that D. I don't know I would put that UGA ahead of the 2009 SEC title game. This season they were better than expected and I still believe the Refs threw the game in UGA favor. I hope the Gators get a BCS spot if they win out. I still think that 2009 SEC title game is the worst loss in Gators history (1996 Fiesta Bowl they went up against a dynasty in Nebraska). Bama had players who also were going to the NFL and yet they were hungier and the Gators went flat despite being on the edge of history.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Leakfan12 You know I agree with all your points regarding the "Stumble, Bumble and FUMBLE in J-Ville", Lf--but the main thing about it as far as "how bad a loss it was" has mainly to do even now with it being fresh:
IT STILL JUST HURTS TOO MUCH. We'll need a season or two to put it in enough "big-picture" perspective to rank it properly here, I think. Hopefully, there is on the horizon (You feel that--that low rumbling under our feet? Something is COMING...) a growing sense of the "Gator Age to Come", and we'll come to see this whole season as a kind of "false dawn", a warning or HINT of what we were ABOUT to be...

Escambia94

It is interesting looking back at this thread and seeing that I had an idea that aTm could beat Bama. Knowing that aTm knocked Bama down a peg, I added that loss to Georgia a few weeks ago to the poll. Of course, if F$U beats Florida, I will be a little upset. I might have to burn down my living room. Again.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is interesting looking back at this thread and seeing that I had an idea that aTm could beat Bama. Knowing that aTm knocked Bama down a peg, I added that loss to Georgia a few weeks ago to the poll. Of course, if F$U beats Florida, I will be a little upset. I might have to burn down my living room. Again.
How do we NOT "look ahead" again this weekend? I mean, even with all the "sayin' the right things" LAST week we came , well, "THAT close" to goin' DOWN...So I'm wondering how we will do against JU, right now--seriously--which of course leaves me even MORE worried about FSU, which I don't even wanna THINK about but can't HELP it...so how can we expect our players not to have it "in the back of their minds", same as all of us? Which means, lets face it, that there's at LEAST as much a chance we could lose THIS one--against an FCS-TEAM!!! I can already hear it, "Well, you could see it coming LAST week against the Ragin' Cajuns when it took a miracle last play on a blocked punt-and-return-for-TD--and today the Florida Gators couldn't FIND enough magic in time to save themselves and their season..." SH*T!
Remember that feeling as time ran down under 5 minutes in the game last Saturday? The gut-clenching realization that with our starting QB out (Jacoby had looked pretty shaky right up until that last "drive-to-come" that came late) we might well be looking at the most embarrassing "Homecoming" in Gator-HISTORY? Would a "Worst Senior Day", against what used to be called "a Div.-I-a Team" be anything but an even bigger disaster?
We are assuming that the combination of that "warning" and an even less-evenly-matched opponent will somehow guarantee a better showing, but if our TEAM is thinking that, even a little, we may be SCREWED--and as I say, How can they NOT? Anyway, it worries me, enough so that at this point I actually HAVE (mostly) stopped worrying about the 'Noles: Nothing short of a complete game performance by our guys THIS week will give me any cause for optimism there in ANY event.
(Oh--and Btw, E-: When it comes to "interesting looking back", I take no pleasure in being right in my warning Nov. 5, a week BEFORE the 'Bama/A&M game, to the effect that "SHOULD the Tide lose, we ALL will lose that 2nd BCS-spot, the Sugar Bowl birth that they'll likely inherit as consolation"...At this point, our only hope even as the 2nd-ranked 1-loss team from the conference that has SIX OF TEN "TOP 10" spots--which, after the SEC-Champ, is what we are likely to be if we win out--is a long-odds shot at a place in the Fiesta.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
One more to add to the painful list, the 2001 UT game. I hope whoever pull the tigger on Bin Laden was a Gators fan. If not, Thank you to that Navy seal (or Navy seals) as an American and as a Gators fan. F--K Al Queda and F--K the Tabilan.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I suppose this is as good a place as any to vent my spleen concerning one more issue that just won't go away--and JUST as irritating, the PERSON who just won't let it go...
Let me just say that though it's far from "PC", at least here I am pre-explaining something that will otherwise be sure to rub at least some of you wrong when the time comes, for I will DANCE ON THE GRAVE OF THAT SENILE OLD F*CK LOU HOLTZ WHEN HE FINALLY CROAKS--as he is so immanently due and deserving of doing!!!
As things are, he was ALL OVER the various ESPN "Family of Networks" last night, loudly crowing about Notre Dame and putting down Florida, repeating his view in every context in which College Football Championships are now being discussed that "I just don't believe that a team that does not win its conference Championship should be included in any Playoff, OR be allowed to play in any game or set of games that will decide a National Championship"..."They shouldn't even be in the BCS--and the rules should be changed for this 'Playoff' that's coming, so that a team like that not be included" (an attack on the whole SEC, too, btw). This from the most absurd-in-his-extreme-bias preacher on behalf of one team, Notre Dame--ITSELF THE ONE TEAM that still keeps itself "Independent", and as such doesn't even PLAY for a "Championship'--that therefore, by Lisping Lou's very own reasoning, THIS DISQUALIFIES THE IRISH ENTIRELY FROM INCLUSION. Of course, no one calls him on this obvious piece of cockeyed non-logic--or any other such small details of what in truth has been their "mid-major" season against 2nd-rate competition that SHOULD, if they were anyone else but the vaunted NOTRE DAME, have landed them a spot in, oh maybe "The Liberty Bowl"?
It shouldn't bother me, but having to listen to such drivel from this fool, this Daffy-Duck-impersonating buffoon (sorry, Daffy), and getting hit with it from EVERYWHERE at a time when I'm already pretty damn frustrated with having to sit out a College Football Saturday, our Gators already not playing when (in our hearts we KNOW) they should be--our only consolation, such as it is, our spot in the BCS' "Sugar Bowl", and here is this loud-mouthed suckhole spraying his poison bile at US, NOW? I, for one, do not easily forget an unprovoked personal attack. I won't forget this one. Remember that, when I laugh and mock him on his death-day, which will come soon.

Escambia94

Lou Lisp is allowed to have an opinion, however misplaced it may be. He compares NCAA football to basketball, where you are supposed to win your conference in order to advance. He would have a point if football and basketball dynamics were the same, which of course is a false assertion. The current system is the best compromise amongst a loose federation of conferences. Even the 4-team playoff falls short of Holtz's false assumption of unity. Basketball was able to design a tiered playoff system with a field of 64. The experts, the ones still administering programs or are coaching, not the has-beens bloviating on TV, are the ones that recognize the difference between football and basketball.

There is a reason losers like him are coaching from the TV studio and not from a university office or sideline. Of course he covets Notre Lame--his best seasons many years ago occurred there. His line of thinking cannot keep up with modern times like Ditka or Madden. His loser opinion means nothing.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
There's some poetic justice, his son got fired by South Florida (about time).
"about time" is RIGHT--They were JUST moving into a higher, more visible level-of-public awareness when they brought in "Holtz-the-(nothing going for him but his NAME) younger", and promptly stalled out right where they'd gotten to up-'til-then. Now they have back-slid, and will have to build back their reputation as a potential "team-coming-on" in what is by now agreed is the most fertile recruiting-grounds in the nation...The "common wisdom" is that with modern rules and limits aimed at parity--ie. things like scholarship-limits that didn't used to exist, and strict enforcement of ALL of them--teams like they and Central Florida, and even (former 2 year, "Upper Division" State Universities like) Florida International (FIU) and Florida Atlantic (FAU), whose football programs are even younger and just getting noticed, will more and more quickly get up-to-speed and pick up "superior talent" among the "crumbs" left over (or overLOOKED) by the "Big Thr--", I mean "...Two and a Ha--", OK, how 'bout the "Big One, Almost Two, and The Rest"(?)...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema