• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why I should hate Tim Tebow!

Our H.s. coach worked with Meyer at bowling green..

we did this sick ass play sr year. If you watched the LSU game on CBS when LSU did a lateral off a rush, they said that was from Meyers playbook. Well we ran this play it was a pass to WR by the numbers, and then another WR came and he lateraled it for a TD down the sideline, I remember the crowd and bench was going nuts, lol so a hook n lateral, but that was before the Boise State and OU game was played so it was not really known.

I believe that a quarterback would not ever make it through a single season trying to run the spread in the pros. The punishment a quarterback would take would end his career way too early.

Pro defenses are too fast and too physical for it to be effective. When you spend tens of millions of dollars for quarterbacks the last thing you want to see is them trying to run for 200 years per game.

Believe me if someone thought they could win with the spread in Professional Football it would have been tried by now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

Believe me if someone thought they could win with the spread in Professional Football it would have been tried by now.

It could be done. No one gave the college run-and-shoot offense a chance of success in the pros, but this offense was all the rage in the 90s. There are some similarities between run-and-shoot and the spread offense that lead me to believe that a spread offense or hybrid spread just might work.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
He also won the Disney Spirit Award. Seemed like he was very honored to recieve that one, maybe even a little more than the other accolades. The guy is something else, he was even introduced as Superman. :D

shandsgator8

VIP Member
The spread offense can work in the NFL, but not one where the QB runs it like Tebow does. There are many version of the spread and I think some of them can work, at least as a reliable and successful gimmick play.

One of the biggest reasons for running the spread is for getting favorable matchups on offense. In the NFL, the matchup differences between a WR and a LB (or strong safety) is less than in college...at least that's one of my theories.

Also, for some reason I still don't understand, the shotgun isn't that popular in the NFL, and I think the majority of spread offenses are run from the shotgun and not from under center.

Oh, and I just thought of another reason a friend said to me recently. The defensive schemes are more complex in the NFL and therefore harder to read. So trying to run the zone read option will be hampered greatly, for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema