• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 9 Reaction: Georgia bulldogs the Gators 43-20

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Ouch. I was on a plane for most of this. I guess it was pretty bad.
IMG_1207.jpeg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Funny you ask--I just basically addressed that very question over on the gameday thread.
The score doesn't really do justice to the way we came in hot, looked like world-beaters for a drive and a half--then, in our brittle youth, could not absorb even a couple of minor setbacks without crumbling--in effect, from the mid-first on (and with a 7-to-3 LEAD, we snapped and panicked.
For the painful and minute details you have only to watch the first quarter of the inevitably pending game-replays--though for the sake of your piece-of-mind I recommend you forego that particular experience.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I really tried to prepare myself for just this kind of letdown--but in its actual realization, I have to tell you that it was just TOO DAMN PAINFUL!
I'm sorry, but as I have said elsewhere here in the aftermath, I will have to retrench: Hunker down behind the lines and seek some "R'n'R"...I see our main goal now as merely to make it to 7 wins somehow--IF that itself is even possible--and live with it even if just ONE turns out to be achievable. No matter what, I hope to somehow find some minimal satisfaction in our getting that one-more-win, holding onto our strong recruiting class and moving into next season with some meager hopes of improving on this year's record and at least REPEATING its recruiting success.
I can only hope that we can all find a certain minimal satisfaction there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am sorry:
I just can not see MYSELF accepting another season like this one...
How can I expect the rest of Gator Nation to do so?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leakfan12, @Escambia94,
Have y'all watched Billy's postgame presser?
He addresses ALL of it.
It's painful, to be sure, having to relive the crucial early plays that basically turned the game back on us; in FACT, when you consider how he lays it out, one is reminded that those two plays ALONE, in advance of the remaining more-than-three-quarters of the game after that, not only changed the whole attitude of our team and FEEL OF THE GAME, the 14 points they accounted for right then, still in a 1st quarter we otherwise had held our own in and up to then had LED, those 14 points ALONE comprise the ultimate margin of victory, really: Without 'em, we were still in a dog fight back in the first half and, even if everything ELSE went similarly (which I can't help but feel would NOT have been the case), we would STILL have been in a close fight at the very end.
But as I sensed and feared, we had essentially "beaten OURSELVES" with those two series, shaped by the two big errors in that late-first quarter.
Yes, that terrible (and STUPID, in its very lack of logic) spot that led what "SHOULDA" been a made-1st down after 3rd down instead, after much dallying on the part of the officials, instead of having not made it by an inch or two somehow became "4th and a yard" when we next lined up, well, we won't bother discussing THAT OR THE ENSUING PLAY here...
Billy talks about all of that to some extent in his presser--and no doubt will have presumably a great deal more once he's seen the film.
But I go back to the way we "beat ourselves": made mistakes that cost us, then completely crumbled in response to those very consequences.
UNACCEPTABLE...and painful to an excruciating degree to witness.
That's the best way I can describe it, in answer to the question, "How bad WAS it?".
All Coach said (AGAIN!) about "opportunities to learn and grow" are true...but now we have GOT to SOMEHOW find our way BEYOND ALL THAT...
When, and HOW, do we DO that?--Leave it behind? STOP DOING THAT??!
Not in theory, but in REALITY.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One last thing--just to be clear:
I SUPPORT Coach Napier. I WANT to see him get the chance to see this through. I believe we are beginning to see the foundation of a great and successful team and program emerging out of the scattered ruins of what was left when he got here.
However, we have GOT to soon see a certain balance, a reliable consistency return to that "team and program" on a regular, week-to-week basis. And it isn't just the FANS that need to see it; the PLAYERS must somehow see it from and among THEMSELVES soon and on a regular basis too.

Escambia94

Now we watch their rebound against Arkansas. If the Gators do not blow out Arkansas then they have no chance for bowl eligibility wins against LSU, Missouri, and FSU.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I admit I don't bother the post-game conferences
That's been MY attitude last month or so as well--but after THIS one, knowing what questions would be asked I was curious as to what he would say. Sure enough, this time he actually "faced the music" to some extent.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94, @Leakfan12,
Check out Ali Peeks' post-UGA podcast (posted on YouTube Saturday night): It goes into play-by-play, at times both magnifying-glass-close AND step-back-overview examination from start to finish.
I have come to rely on her postgame analysis as the best, heartfelt but unemotional review of our play.
She outdoes herself this time. Frankly, I doubt many think there's much more that need be said once she is done--I cannot add to her look back OR look forward.
For all her cold critique, she somehow finds and notes areas and reasons for hope--and (properly) ends on the right note in summation: "OK--let's go out and beat the Razorbacks in the Swamp and get Bowl eligible in Billy's 2nd year--if only for the sake of those 15 extra PRACTICES!"
To HELL with GEORGIA!

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One more thing:
Let me reiterate...I WANT to see Billy Napier given every chance to see this through. But unless he is humble and flexible enough to allow certain fundamental changes, I am beginning to doubt that he will.
To wit:
(1)He MUST give up his roll as onfield/in-game OC...Oh, I have no doubt he would find someone wholly sympatico and continue to affect the underlying philosophy and overall thrust of the offensive gameplan and in-game scheming--but there's been enough evidence by now that our Coach, who is great at SCRIPTING opening drives, ain't near as proficient once it's time to read, react and generally "wing it" on offense.
(2) There are a SLEW of details that are somehow slipping by; nowhere is this more glaring than on Special Teams. It's weird, too: Coach TALKS a good game about "thorough preparation", "playing clean", and "being READY to do it right"--but we keep seeing the same damn problems coming up in that phase of the game! And that's COACHING. I don't KNOW exactly what is wrong or missing over on the sideline and/or back in the lockerroom during the week, what personnel needs to be added or modified or WHAT--but SOMETHING must change!
There are some additional related details and loose threads, connected or otherwise, but I am afraid that despite all the forces and back-office realities that conspire to give him extra time, to KEEP him here despite the (in truth EXPECTED) rough times the AD (and those who hired HIM, whom all understood these as well) saw ahead, and which we are suffering through now, this particular group of concrete "inescapeable weaknesses" will have to be properly addressed.
They may HAVE to wait until the POST-season, but no later. There's no ignoring them nor sweeping it all under the rug.
Next season's schedule looks to be even tougher than this one. We damn well better at least no longer be beating OURSELVES!

(One MORE "One more thing":
I really HATE that Kirby has the gall--and can get AWAY with it--of taking swipes at our (albeit beaten) Coach from the podium of HIS post-game presser, something that Billy has too much grace to remember and return if/WHEN the opportunity comes around--but I sure as HELL wish he WOULD, given that (hopefully INEVITABLE) karmic opportunity!
...But for now I suppose we just MOVE ON.)

Escambia94

Not sure what you are talking about with respect to Kirby Smart. Smart made a joke about Dan Mullen. Smart and Napier are friends and are respectful of one another. Mullen is not as close to other coaches as Napier. Be careful of misinterpreting the comments.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
@Escambia94, @Leakfan12,
Check out Ali Peeks' post-UGA podcast (posted on YouTube Saturday night): It goes into play-by-play, at times both magnifying-glass-close AND step-back-overview examination from start to finish.
I have come to rely on her postgame analysis as the best, heartfelt but unemotional review of our play.
She outdoes herself this time. Frankly, I doubt many think there's much more that need be said once she is done--I cannot add to her look back OR look forward.
For all her cold critique, she somehow finds and notes areas and reasons for hope--and (properly) ends on the right note in summation: "OK--let's go out and beat the Razorbacks in the Swamp and get Bowl eligible in Billy's 2nd year--if only for the sake of those 15 extra PRACTICES!"
To HELL with GEORGIA!

I googled her and saw she does bleed orange and blue, she graduated there, and had family members play there, and her husband is Eric Wilbur who was the punter in the 2006 championship team. Also, she was a broadcaster. I do like her takes, Napier does need to give up play calls and hired a freaking special teams coach. Also, am I the only one without a UF degree? I only have an Associate.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I googled her and saw she does bleed orange and blue, she graduated there, and had family members play there, and her husband is Eric Wilbur who was the punter in the 2006 championship team. Also, she was a broadcaster. I do like her takes, Napier does need to give up play calls and hired a freaking special teams coach. Also, am I the only one without a UF degree? I only have an Associate.
Lol...Don't feel bad Lf; you wanna talk about "unfinished grad-business"?
While I (eventually) finished off my BA AND BS degrees in liberal arts and science colleges at UF, I had all kinds of loose ends remaining (some eventually picked up and finished, as implied, and some sadly left "hanging UNfinished" to this day), instead jumping on a proferred Fellowship extended by USC(west) Grad Film School in Los Angeles while still actually in grad school at UF back in G-ville a year after finally managing to pick up enough "extras" (overlooked electives, etc) to technically graduate.
This was all a consequence of the advantages and DISadvantages of the wildly impulsive (and I suppose somewhat irresponsible) way I approached my undergraduate education:
This was back in the days when UF was run on the "quarter system", with 12-week terms ("quarters") then BOOM--finals, then break, then a new "quarter"...I took classes and juggled multiple majors based solely on what interested me as things grabbed my attention in the course catalogue. I got high grades because I WAS interested, the whole system seemingly tailored to my "short attention span" ("A.D.D."?), all the while jumping around with little regard for a coherent (or efficient) degree-completion strategy--but it all eventually more or less paid off. All in all, it was altogether a blast, the best time of my life as I look back now.
Though there were some high points, some amazing experiences to come later elsewhere as a young would-be film-maker and all that entailed, in retrospect I must tell you that the people, time and quality of education (and FUN!) at the University of Florida was unequaled by quality of life or anything else that were to come.

Escambia94

The Gator defense looked horrendous against Georgia, but look where they stack in the offenses that Florida has faced or will face:

Arkansas 120th
Charlotte 118th
Utah 103th
Vanderbilt 102nd
Kentucky 83th
South Carolina 77th
Missouri 30th
Tennessee 28th
FSU 22nd
Georgia 4th
LSU 1st

Members online