• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 7 Reaction: Gators beat the cocks off South Carolina

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So: It would seem that at the very LEAST Billy has finally added SOME of the "ol' Florida long ball" to his gameplan...He will have to do more than THAT to win anymore against the opponents remaining on the schedule, and he STILL needs a proper OC--but tonight we can relax and feel some modicum of hope for the future.
If we can continue to "learn and grow" this team might even match up well against Missouri and Arkansas, eke out a couple of more wins and manage to give a couple of elite programs a decent game or two along the way as well...Who knows?
We are very young--maybe among the youngest in CFB now; with the experience they are gaining PLUS the current recruiting class likely retained and another just-as-promising-one coming along behind THAT, well...that "glass" is looking fuller and fuller after ALL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Holy cow that was intense.

UFSC
1st Downs2823
3rd down efficiency4-155-10
4th down efficiency3-40-0
Total Yards494465
Passing423313
Comp-Att30-4823-30
Yards per pass8.810.4
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing71152
Rushing Attempts3333
Yards per rush2.24.6
Penalties6-489-82
Turnovers02
Fumbles lost01
Interceptions thrown01
Possession32:4427:16
"INTENSE" is RIGHT.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One more thing (and in relation to HOW "INTENSE" that game was):
I wasn't faking how extremely all those UPS and DOWNS affected me in the course of this game.
I'd really rather NOT go through it every time, in every game...but given how things went at the very end and how it all so suddenly and satisfyingly TURNED OUT, as a one time, cathartic "turning point experience" it DID have its unique and memorable qualities. Graham MERTZ won't soon forget it--the game and DRIVE that made him fully a GATOR.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You guys breathing? What a game, what a comeback. How about Mertz throwing for over 400 yards? Again the defense needs to improve.
That's an understatement--The whole THING, really...But especially about the defense. We have GOT to find a way to see all three phases of our game show up to compete--FUNCTION PROPERLY, at the very LEAST.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This ending was the most memorably sudden and final since Frank's Hail Mary beat Tennessee on the last play a few years back. But this time there were more "moving parts"...
For example, NONE of it HAPPENS without that bat-it-up-to-a-THIRD-guy completion FOR a LONG 1st down on 4th down to put us in the red zone on that last drive...and that was just ONE such minute component of a SERIES of such required steps!
Wow! I am getting chills just recounting it.
This really IS the "kind of thing" that changes a team--brings it all the closer together, believing in itself and each OTHER. It's corny--but it's also REAL.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
As soon as I posted this my wife grabbed me and took me out for beer. This was a heart attack game.

For background: I attended USCe before transferring to Florida. Beating South Carolina is personal for me.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
As soon as I posted this my wife grabbed me and took me out for beer. This was a heart attack game.

For background: I attended USCe before transferring to Florida. Beating South Carolina is personal for me.

Usually it's people going from Florida to South Carolina, OK just the OBC and Muschamp. I graduated high school with someone who accepted a soccer scholarship to South Carolina and she later went to USF to finish her collegiate career there.

Escambia94

Usually it's people going from Florida to South Carolina, OK just the OBC and Muschamp. I graduated high school with someone who accepted a soccer scholarship to South Carolina and she later went to USF to finish her collegiate career there.
The entire story goes like this:
- Enroll at Florida at age 17
- Drop out after the 1996 national championship to enlist in the Air Force
- Get stationed around the world and go to school part time in between overseas deployments
- Get stationed in South Carolina and earn an associate's degree in pre-engineering from USCe
- Earn an Air Force scholarship to any public university of my choice
- Enroll at Florida again (over 10 years later)
- Earn bachelor of science in engineering degree from Florida during the 2006 national championship year
- Earn a master of science in engineering degree from Florida during the 2008 national championship year

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Final thoughts:
I just no longer have the slightest idea WHAT to expect from this season's Gator team.
We have the PARTS available to potentially beat ANYONE...but as you all have already asked, "Which Gator squad will SHOW?"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The entire story goes like this:
- Enroll at Florida at age 17
- Drop out after the 1996 national championship to enlist in the Air Force
- Get stationed around the world and go to school part time in between overseas deployments
- Get stationed in South Carolina and earn an associate's degree in pre-engineering from USCe
- Earn an Air Force scholarship to any public university of my choice
- Enroll at Florida again (over 10 years later)
- Earn bachelor of science in engineering degree from Florida during the 2006 national championship year
- Earn a master of science in engineering degree from Florida during the 2008 national championship year
Your timing was good, regardless. Better than MINE, anyway: I arrived for Dickey's last, then Pell's FIRST (0-10-and-1...or, as we would subsequently say the following year when asked how our team had fared, "Oh, ten and one..." hahaha).
This Gator team is an enigma wrapped in a mystery.
You got THAT right. When do things begin to clarify?

Escambia94

The following Gators had career days:
- Graham Mertz - 48 attempts, 423 yards
- Ricky Pearsall - 10 receptions, 166 yards
- Tre Wilson - 6 receptions, 83 yards
- Kahleil Jackson - 52 yards, 1 TD

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The following Gators had career days:
- Graham Mertz - 48 attempts, 423 yards
- Ricky Pearsall - 10 receptions, 166 yards
- Tre Wilson - 6 receptions, 83 yards
- Kahleil Jackson - 52 yards, 1 TD
But look at that list and consider THIS:
We got TALENT.
It doesn't stop there--and MORE is on the way.
I'll join the Greek Chorus as we sing it again:
"Billy, bring in a fitting OC and SKY'S THE LIMIT!"

Escambia94

Ricky Pearsall is on pace for 1,120 yards in the regular season. The Gators have not had a 1,000-yard receiver since Taylor Jacobs in 2002.

Escambia94

The Gators completed their first 10-point 4th quarter comeback since their 11-point comeback against Kentucky on Sept. 24, 2019 (Kyle Trask).

This is the first 10-point 4th quarter comeback on the road since Sept.23,2017 at Kentucky.

Escambia94

Explosive Plays
● Arlis Boardingham: 24-yard reception, 1st quarter
● Montrell Johnson Jr.: 11-yard rush, 1st quarter
● Hayden Hansen: 16-yard reception, 1st quarter
● Ricky Pearsall: 23-yard reception, 1st quarter
● Trevor Etienne: 28-yard rush, 2nd quarter
● Kahleil Jackson: 45-yard reception, 2nd quarter
● Ricky Pearsall: 26-yard reception, 2nd quarter
● Eugene Wilson III: 30-yard reception, 3rd quarter
● Montrell Johnson Jr.: 20-yard rush, 4th quarter