• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 1 Film Breakdown

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Part 1: Why didn’t the Gators throw more?

Actually, the Gators called 40 pass plays and completed 75% of them! The best plays were nullified by creatively stupid penalties. This one is a great example.
IMG_9920.jpeg

On 2nd and 7, the Gators notice after an incomplete pass that Utah is still sold out to stop the run. In response, Florida dials up a rub concept. Rubs are hard to defend, especially near the goal line when Utah was stacking the box for the run and playing bump-and-run man coverage on the back end. Florida attempted to take advantage of aggressive man-to-man coverage by having receivers run routes in close proximity to each other knowing the defenders would get crossed up trying to do pattern match.

The Utes were forced to move a dedicated pass rusher/ run stopper out of the 8-man box and drop a JACK or dual assignment linebacker (shown in green). The Gators flood the left zone with two receivers and cross the third one underneath to create conflict for the third DB (usually a NICKEL, strong safety, or STAR). In this case, the Gators successfully isolated the Utah JACK (possibly a MIKE playing out of position) and would likely have completed a TD to TE Jonathan Odom flexed to the outside working inside. Instead, the Gators took too long to get the play off and they were penalized.

Once Mertz learns to get these plays off quickly, I expect to see this play added to the repertoire of scoring plays.
IMG_9922.jpeg

Last edited:

Escambia94

Part 2: Why didn’t the Gators run more?

Utah was dedicated to stopping the Gator run game. Utah consistently stacked the box with 8 men.
IMG_9921.jpeg

On the back end, Utah dropped its DBs and dared Florida to throw over the top. Florida was flagged for a false start on a couple of potential deep passes, which effectively negated the deep ball. Dameion George committed two of the false starts on 3rd or 4th and 1–obvious running downs. Jake Slaughter committed the false start on the passing down.
IMG_9919.jpeg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
I TRIED to watch the game replay this morning (as I usually do a day or two after the usual Saturday-played game), but just couldn't even make it through the first half.
OVERWHELMINGLY frustrating to watch snd witness once again. Even reading YOUR summation above was difficult, but I managed.
I follow, agree and appreciate your effort and insights.
Basically my own first overall takeaways from the game itself were that we had every opportunity to actually WIN that game:
It was once again penalties, poor preparation, organization and team cohesion that put us in a deep hole...and Special Teams that were the actual difference, our proverbial "Achilles heel" once more. The final score was 24-11. Special Teams' misfires were responsible for a 13-point swing. Basic arithmetic...
Even with all the other mistakes, foul ups, poor organization and missed opportunities, with a proper focus on Special Teams we are back in this one on one of our BAD days.
So it all turns on what happens from here.
I REALLY don't care to hear a lot more of the same old talk: Time maybe to circle the wagons?
Take the pressure off the players outside the lockeroom AND off the field...Billy keeps HIS public comments short'n'SWEET, and the players themselves kept OUT of the spotlight next couple of weeks.
It is time to get serious and HUNKER DOWN.

Escambia94

Part 3: What happened to the offensive line?

Honestly I expected the offensive line to be a lot better. They gave up 5 sacks and committed 3 false start penalties.
IMG_9928.jpeg

In the picture you can see the entire offensive line being pushed on top of the QB. I could find some other video showing the line pushing edge rushers out of the way only for Mertz to get sacked anyway for not throwing the ball or climbing the pocket.

On the bright side, the Gators finally are good at pulling guards. Once the Gators figure out the timing of sweep motion and pulling guards they might have a viable triple option out of the 12 formation.

The Utah DL is rather stout:
LDE81O'Toole, Connor JR6-4 25100Fano, Logan RS FR/TR6-5 300
LDT58Tafuna, Junior JR6-3 31077Pepa, Simote RS SO6-3 330
RDT57Tanuvasa, Keanu RS FR6-4 29599Fotu, Tevita RS SO/TR6-5 300
RDE7Fillinger, Van RS JR6-4 26083Elliss, Jonah JR6-2 246
ROVER LB21Reid, Karene JR6-0 2276Medlock, Justin RS FR6-0 220
MAC LB3Damuni, Levani RS JR/TR6-2 24112Fotu, Sione SO6-0 226
STUD20Barton, Lander SO6-4 24214Calvert, Josh RS JR/TR6-2 223

Compare them to the Gator OL:
Austin BarberOL/ LT1R-So. (2021)906-6305Jacksonville, Fla. / Trinity Christian Academy
Lyndell Hudson IIOL/ LT2TrSr. (2023)866-5329Brooksville, Fla. / CentralFIU
Christian WilliamsOL/ LT3R-Fr. (2022)866-4310Missouri City, Texas / Fort Bend Marshall
Knijeah HarrisOL/ LG1Fr. (2023)886-3325Port St. Lucie, Fla. / IMG Academy
Micah MazzccuaOL/ LG1TrJr. (2023)906-5337Philadelphia, Pa. / St. Frances AcademyBaylor
Kingsley EguakunOL/ OC1R-Jr.656-3302Jacksonville, Fla. / Sandalwood
Jake SlaughterOL/ OC2R-So. (2021)856-5301Sparr, Fla. / Trinity Catholic
Roderick KearneyOL/ OC3Fr. (2023)946-4287Jacksonville, Fla. / Orange Park
Richie Leonard IVOL/ RG1Jr. (2021)6-2310Cocoa, Fla. / Cocoa
Jalen FarmerOL/ RG2R-Fr. (2022)876-5307Covington, Ga. / Eastside
Riley SimondsOL/ RG3R-Jr.6-3304Buford, Ga. / Buford
Damieon George Jr.OL/ RT1TrSo. (2023)896-6361Houston, Texas / North ShoreAlabama
Jordan HermanOL/ RT2TrSo. (2022)n/a6-8371Fort Mill, S.C. / Fort MillHutchinson CC

The Gator offensive line stacks up well against the Ute OL.
LT55Fano, Spencer FR6-5 30073Togiai, Tanoa RS SO6-6 316
LG51Bills, Keaton RS JR6-4 31679Harrison, Alex RS JR6-4 307
OC53Maea, Johnny SR6-4 31061Faaiu, Kolinu'u RS SO6-3 326
RG52Mokofisi, Michael RS SO6-4 32068Kump, Jaren JR6-5 308
RT78Laumea, Sataoa RS JR6-4 31159Kaumatule, Falcon RS JR6-8 304
TE-Y87Yassmin, Thomas RS SR6-5 25147Suguturaga, Miki RS JR6-4 256
TE-U80Kuithe, Brant SR6-2 22914King, Landen RS SO/TR6-5 225

The summary here is that the Utah offensive and defensive lines are not bigger, but they are more disciplined.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Maybe when DJ gets here we can get back to "slingin' it around the yard" some like we USED to do once upon a time...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Part 3: What happened to the offensive line?

Honestly I expected the offensive line to be a lot better. They gave up 5 sacks and committed 3 false start penalties.
View attachment 820
In the picture you can see the entire offensive line being pushed on top of the QB. I could find some other video showing the line pushing edge rushers out of the way only for Mertz to get sacked anyway for not throwing the ball or climbing the pocket.

On the bright side, the Gators finally are good at pulling guards. Once the Gators figure out the timing of sweep motion and pulling guards they might have a viable triple option out of the 12 formation.

That needs to be fixed by the time Tennessee comes to the Swamp otherwise Miller would need to warm up. Not to mention wasn't Utah without some of their key players including one guy that was injured during the game?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That needs to be fixed by the time Tennessee comes to the Swamp otherwise Miller would need to warm up. Not to mention wasn't Utah without some of their key players including one guy that was injured during the game?
Absolutely true...and NOT because Mertz was the main problem. He wasn't. He was in almost every way the consumate "Game Manager" we were told we needed him to be in order to have a steady, balanced, "move the ball" offense.
And he DID--"move-the-ball" that is. But again: "Top RB room" and all, we didn't really even TRY to run the ball (11 attempted rushes the whole GAME). What WAS the "game plan"?
And meanwhile, we came in and floundered that way against a Utah squad missing its leader/star QB-1 AND it's best defensive player (plus another top defender lost early on).
And if we DO indeed eventually have to go to another signal caller in order to get some spark on offense, Miller.won't likely be among those available to us.
It'll have to be number 3 or 4 from that depleted group that comprises our "QB room".
At a certain point, I guess I feel we just have to sweep aside all the analysis and simplify:
Somehow we must now come together as a TEAM, each man reaching down deep inside and bringing forth his best self in the service and support of those around him. It is time to become the TEAM that all the lip-service in advance has claimed was our goal and eventual destiny anyway... Begin to truly reach for it now.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I didn't say Mertz was bad, he isn't. I'm just saying Miller should warm up because Mertz could be in a world of hurt if the O-Line doesn't improve and fast.

Escambia94

Utah lied on their injury report, and they stated 8 players would be held out for injury for the game against Florida, but I looked through three sources, counted participation statistics, and third party injury reports and only found 4 injuries before the game plus 1 injury in the game. This means that if there really were 8 injuries that 4 of them were not active players. There were 2 QBs (key starter and primary backup), 1 safety (backup), 1 TE (key starter) injured before the game. One DE was injured in the game.

Escambia94

Maybe when DJ gets here we can get back to "slingin' it around the yard" some like we USED to do once upon a time...
That will not happen while Napier is HC. See the thread about Napier's offense.

Escambia94

I didn't say Mertz was bad, he isn't. I'm just saying Miller should warm up because Mertz could be in a world of hurt if the O-Line doesn't improve and fast.
Miller is still on injured reserve, and he might be there for a couple more weeks. Max Brown and Micah Leon are the backups, possibly until October.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Utah lied on their injury report, and they stated 8 players would be held out for injury for the game against Florida, but I looked through three sources, counted participation statistics, and third party injury reports and only found 4 injuries before the game plus 1 injury in the game. This means that if there really were 8 injuries that 4 of them were not active players. There were 2 QBs (key starter and primary backup), 1 safety (backup), 1 TE (key starter) injured before the game. One DE was injured in the game.
That will not happen while Napier is HC. See the thread about an unexpected Napier's offense.
Regarding my comment about us MAYBE "slingin' around the field again like we USED to do" once we get DJ Lagway next season (assuming we DO, along with keeping most of the REST of that promising ongoing 2024 recruiting haul), whether "antiquated", "timely", or "futuristic", a certain flexibility is sometimes necessary no matter WHAT--and no matter its perceived context, as a "a blast from the past" or "so old it's NEW again", effectiveness is then achieved...whether as an unexpected change-of-pace OR simply in establishing SOME kind of IDENTITY--for its familiarity to Gator fans or its surprising NEWNESS to prospective opponents.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK. I finally managed to drag my way painfully through an albeit accelerated review of Thursday night's game replay (yes, I spent an unusually inordinate portion with thumb on fast-forward), and while between ourselves and the few "fair and balanced" commentators out there most of the relevant points have already been noted and examined, we are still left with the empty, achingly lost impression that this team is still "wandering in the wilderness" to some extent.
It isn't just the loss, but the manner in which we performed so poorly in ill-prepared and disorganized fashion.
After all the talk about growth, discipline, personal responsibility and coming together as a TEAM, that was sure as hell NOT what we saw out there against what was itself a somewhat handicapped Utah squad. All the most frustrating things about last season's Gator team, all the long repeated and uncorrected bad habits, poor play and lack of discipline, things that we've now suffered through and with for YEARS, from the very start were on display throught the game.
I'm not going to repeat them all here now: As I say, between our own comments and analyses here, and among normally supportive online members of the Gator fraternity themselves elsewhere like Dooley, Gator Mike and Ali Peek, there was no escaping all the honest expressions of disappointment and concern.
Oh, there WERE eventually a FEW noted "signs of improvement" along the way, but overall and inescapably the parade of "same old problems" were relentless.
I admit to having, in the midst of a determined effort on my part to remain staunchly supportive and reserved in my longterm conclusive judgements at the moment, underneath all of that a dark misery of doubt now quietly accumulating in my gut.
"Concern" is slowly morphing into impatience, suspicion, even FEAR: Fear that all this may HAVE to turn out an "anomalie"--that either we shake it all off and look completely different by the time we face the Vols in a couple of weeks (unlikely as that sounds at the moment, even to ME), OR things thoroughly disintegrate from there.
I doubt I have to elaborate on what THAT might look like, or the kinds of consequences that likely would accumulate as a result. So I will end this admitted "low point confessional" right here.
NOT saying "It WILL happen.", but given what we've now actually SEEN, after all the TALK, damnit, "IT SURE AS HELL COULD."

Escambia94

Regarding my comment about us MAYBE "slingin' around the field again like we USED to do" once we get DJ Lagway next season (assuming we DO, along with keeping most of the REST of that promising ongoing 2024 recruiting haul), whether "antiquated", "timely", or "futuristic", a certain flexibility is sometimes necessary no matter WHAT--and no matter its perceived context, as a "a blast from the past" or "so old it's NEW again", effectiveness is then achieved...whether as an unexpected change-of-pace OR simply in establishing SOME kind of IDENTITY--for its familiarity to Gator fans or its surprising NEWNESS to prospective opponents.
Yes. That identity is not the Coach Prime flashy offense—it is the same offensive Napier established at Clemson 20 years ago, which is similar to the offensive identity established by Mike Shanahan at Florida in 1980, which is similar to the offensive identity established by a dozen NFL teams and hundreds of college teams. Despite whatever it is that people hear on TV, only a few teams runs a “modern” offense, which is another way of saying “spread offense or Air Raid, I really cannot tell the difference because I learn offense from Kirk Herbstreit or video games or worse, some account on Twitter/X”.

All that Napier needs to do is switch out verbal signals at the line for visual signals from the sideline. That could help with making the offense move more quickly with this new running clock.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes. That identity is not the Coach Prime flashy offense—it is the same offensive Napier established at Clemson 20 years ago, which is similar to the offensive identity established by Mike Shanahan at Florida in 1980, which is similar to the offensive identity established by a dozen NFL teams and hundreds of college teams. Despite whatever it is that people hear on TV, only a few teams runs a “modern” offense, which is another way of saying “spread offense or Air Raid, I really cannot tell the difference because I learn offense from Kirk Herbstreit or video games or worse, some account on Twitter/X”.

All that Napier needs to do is switch out verbal signals at the line for visual signals from the sideline. That could help with making the offense move more quickly with this new running clock.
I haven't really accounted for that new "running clock" MYSELF yet--Do you think THAT may have significantly contributed to all the confusion out there in Game 1? Even if it did, that would make it only one more thing it seems our Coach, his staff down through the chain-of-command and/or the players themselves are somehow failing to get ahead of and control over. A lot of those horrid-in-their-timing and outright foolish-looking penalties at crucial moments really made it at least APPEAR that they had neither anticipated nor paid attention to details of those parts of the game. Like a LOT of fans I found myself yelling at the screen: "What have you been DOING for almost eight months??!"

Escambia94

Upon further review, the Gator defense was in the correct defensive alignment on Utah’s first play of the game, but Dakota Mitchell fell down, RJ Moten rotated down to cover Mitchell’s gap, and then he hit Jason Marshall on his way to tackle the Utah receiver!
Screenshot from 2023-09-09 07-42-01.png

Screenshot from 2023-09-09 07-41-12.png

Last edited:

Escambia94

The Gator defense under Austin Armstrong looked much better than last year. The video shows the 6-man and 10-man fronts were very good. Shemar James was named as a highlight of the game, but he did mess up a couple calls by handing off an assignment to nobody. He also handed off an assignment to Princely Umanmilien but Princely elected to ignore the call and Utah ran for a first down.

Escambia94

The other busted play was the result of 2 Big-10 transfer Gators trying to do too much: Terajda Mitchell and RJ Moten.
Screenshot from 2023-09-09 07-45-19.png

Last edited:

Escambia94

If the offensive line had given Mertz confidence to read the right side he would have seen the Utah defender covering Dante Zanders’ fall down. The correct pre-snap read was to wait for Ricky Pearsall to open up and throw the fade.
Screenshot from 2023-09-09 07-46-32.png

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If the offensive line had given Mertz confidence to read the right side he would have seen the Utah defender covering Dante Zanders’ fall down. The correct pre-snap read was to wait for Ricky Pearsall to open up and throw the fade. View attachment 839
All of your post-rewatch analyses are spot on and instructive: A lot of errors, some of them especially disappointing, but ALL of them explainable and CORRECTABLE.
I'm actually more concerned with the injuries--all the so-called "minor banged-up", "upper-" and "lower-body" injuries rendering so many of our players at already depth-limited positions, PLUS our starting CENTER still out.
OK, it's for McNeese State--but how ARE they coming along, truly? The guys up front we are going to NEED facing Tennessee, at least to have any chance of not embarrassing ourselves, let alone having any kind of chance at victory.
I just want and NEED to see us BEGIN to show discipline and character as a TEAM.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema