• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban Meyer: 'I'm not going to Notre Dame. Ever.'

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
The fact that he said that and DAYS later, not months... days later went to Utah has a point and can be compared to this situation.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I'm playing devils advocate. To say that what said above can't be used in this situation at all, you're blind and naive. Does it mean he will leave? No, not necessarily but it damn sure doesn't help critics and naysayers from quieting down.

To build on your comment, I want to add a link to an article Tony Barnhart wrote for the AJC this morning; he's one of the more reputable and sensible sportswriters out there and is a straight-shooter: http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2009/07/16/i-believe-urban-meyer-do-you/?cxntfid=blogs_barnhart_college_football

If he told Tony Barnhart the same thing over the phone he said to Pat Dooley in person, I too believe in Coach Meyer.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
The fact that he said that and DAYS later, not months... days later went to Utah has a point and can be compared to this situation.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I'm playing devils advocate. To say that what said above can't be used in this situation at all, you're blind and naive. Does it mean he will leave? No, not necessarily but it damn sure doesn't help critics and naysayers from quieting down.

You still haven't answered my question. What would he have to say to make you (as well as others) believe him? It's not a one way street.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
I believe him... Again I was just playing devils advocate

That's fine. I know people can go off of his history and think that he will do the same here. I know he won't be here forever and he may end up leaving, I just don't think (hope) it will be for another 5-7 years.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness

Why do you feel the need to play devil's advocate? Yellowhammer is doing a nice enough job without you helping him.

And I still don't comparing a decision made between Bowling Green and Utah is comparable to the decision Meyer will be faced with pretty soon. I'm not blind and naive, I just don;t think the two situations are similar. He went from a perennial loser at Bowling Green to take a job opportunity at one of the better non-BCS school. Going from Florida to Notre Dame would be totally different.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Let's see all the trolls, blowhards, haters, rumor-mongers and others try and digest this comment made in response to Finebaum's nonsense:

Please someone tell me what “promises” Urban made to Bowling Green and Utah? I know they had their best seasons with Meyer as the head man. Haha, this finebaum is a character. The whole thing with Jeremy Foley being “impatient” is ridiculous. He gave Zook three years to do something, and those three years were painful for all associated with the Gator Nation, but Zook had his chance. This finebaum guy needs to quit acting like he eats dinner with all of Florida’s people. He doesn’t know anything about UF and it’s staff. He’s just an Alabama homer who is trying to turn this thing around and blame the Florida fans & media. So Urban’s legacy will look better if he goes to ND huh? Since you’re familiar with bama finebaum, can you remember a guy named Bear Bryant who created a powerhouse? Why would Urban leave a school where he’s creating a dynasty and printing his name as one of the best in history, possibly THE best when all is said and done. Another name that’s been at a school for the past 4 decades, Joe Paterno. He will forever be remembered as one of the best. Urban will continue to build this monster at Florida, and will ultimately create the best football program in the country. Finebaum wipe the brown off of your nose. Saban said his backside has to many lip marks anyway.

I'm glad somebody had the cajones to put that schmuck Finebaum in his place, since Mark McLeod couldn't - based on the Milquetoast way he handled that discourse: http://www.espngo1.com/2009/07/15/mark-mcleod-with-paul-finebaum/

You're still dancing around his question.

The question IS, "What will I be saying?"

I will be saying, "As soon a there is an opening at ND they will come after Meyer and he will leave Florida."

You guys are all blaming everyone else, when it is Meyer himself that got all this started with what he has written and said....

You can't un-ring the bell.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Please don't feed the troll. The brokedown wanna be paul slimebaugh who thinks he's a journalist on a fan generated website where ANYONE can be a blogger and link to thier weak vernacular diatribe.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Based on what I heard last night, Urban's staying put in Gainesville. Gator fans need not doubt what Buddy Martin and Tony Barnhart have also said based on their convos with Meyer, either - and Pat Dooley was right-on as well.

Gator Nation need not doubt Meyer's dedication to the Gator football program - one former player I talked to also stated that he's "all Gator". He has a very strong rapport with his players, and genuinely cares about these kids; if he didn't, there wouldn't have been those two championship seasons in the past four years that he's been in Gainesville.

Buddy Martin's coming out with a second edition of "Urban's Way" this fall, and I intend to read more; I'm sure he'll likely reiterate this as well.

Honestly, I think Meyer's here for the long haul. Florida is a hotbed for football talent, and the "creme de la creme" as far as recruits want to go to schools like Florida, Texas, USC - that is, in the warmer climates. The potential for Meyer to build a dynasty at Florida is in place; what we as fans need to do is back him up 100% and not waiver on that devotion. For those who still doubt him, they should pause and re-think their priorities.

It's time for the media hacks and the rumor-mongers to move on and find another target; their constant harping on this issue is a waste of time and energy on their part. What they want to see happen isn't going to - and if some of them are smart enough to see this, they'll finally shut up.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Based on what I heard last night, Urban's staying put in Gainesville. Gator fans need not doubt what Buddy Martin and Tony Barnhart have also said based on their convos with Meyer, either - and Pat Dooley was right-on as well.

Gator Nation need not doubt Meyer's dedication to the Gator football program - one former player I talked to also stated that he's "all Gator". He has a very strong rapport with his players, and genuinely cares about these kids; if he didn't, there wouldn't have been those two championship seasons in the past four years that he's been in Gainesville.

Buddy Martin's coming out with a second edition of "Urban's Way" this fall, and I intend to read more; I'm sure he'll likely reiterate this as well.

Honestly, I think Meyer's here for the long haul. Florida is a hotbed for football talent, and the "creme de la creme" as far as recruits want to go to schools like Florida, Texas, USC - that is, in the warmer climates. The potential for Meyer to build a dynasty at Florida is in place; what we as fans need to do is back him up 100% and not waiver on that devotion. For those who still doubt him, they should pause and re-think their priorities.

It's time for the media hacks and the rumor-mongers to move on and find another target; their constant harping on this issue is a waste of time and energy on their part. What they want to see happen isn't going to - and if some of them are smart enough to see this, they'll finally shut up.

Good news and I agree with your post 100%!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Good news and I agree with your post 100%!

Urban Meyer has, without a doubt, the best job in college football right now. Given the fact that he's still fairly young (he turned 45 a week ago last Friday) and going into his 5th year at UF, he'd be foolish to abandon what he's got going on right now; to me he'd still be throwing the baby out with the bath water considering what he could continue to accomplish with the Gators. He knows that Florida's the "cat's pajamas"; Notre Dame's lost some of its lustre it once had and really isn't all that attractive anymore, in part based on what I said about current recruiting trends in my last post.

Urban also knows that there are miscreants in the media and won't be fazed by all their nonsense; after December he's well aware that statements, either oral or written, get distorted. Heck, some of us learned this in grade school when we'd play "pass-it-down" games trying to relay a story or statement - somehow in the end it never sounded like it did in the beginning.

All in all, I still believe Urban meant what he said last weekend. :gator:

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am confident that UM will stay for a while, but I won't say that he will "never" leave, as in "coach at this school until retirement like Bowden or Joe Pa". I can't think of the last time the SEC had a coach stay for "a very long time" or "forever (however you define "forever"). I would never have guessed SOS was going to leave UF, so I won't get my hopes up on UM. However, I am confident UM will not leave UF for a while, maybe another decade.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Another writer believes Meyer's staying put in Hoggetowne: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/article1020833.ece

(Oh BTW, I caught this quote on another website - what a chichenshiat creep Finebaum is! Probably wrote that hatchet-job on Coach out of sheer hatred:

"Although on his show Wednesday he did grudgingly say that if Meyer won another national championship he would have to be given credit for his record, Paul Finebaum begged his callers not to put him in the position of defending Meyer because of his intense dislike for the Gator coach. “I wouldn’t spit on him if he was on fire --- or anything else,” he proclaimed."

Well, as the saying goes - what goes around comes around, and Finebaum has his coming sooner than he thinks.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema