• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban Meyer: 'I'm not going to Notre Dame. Ever.'

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
It rubs me wrong for any fans to blindly defend and believe that any coach will not leave their school because they are so special. Especially a coach like Meyer who has every selfish reason to leave.

He has accomplished all he can at Florida and knows that things can only go down hill if he stays. When and if Saban wins a couple of NC at Alabama I am sure other schools will come calling and no matter what he says (especially in this case because of what's at stake) I would not believe him.

I call BS. If you're "rubbed the wrong way" because Gator fans are true to their school and stand by Coach Meyer, than that's just plain too bad. We're not going to say things just to appease you or anybody else because that's what you expect to hear.

As for your second paragraph, more of the same. There are more SEC titles to win; more National Championship possibilities. Florida football can still go above and beyond the level it's at now, and there's no stopping Urban Meyer. Besides, if he's happy in Gainesville, then why upset the apple cart just to satisfy the media and all the others who wish ill on the Gators?

Screw Notre Dame as far as I'm concerned. If you honestly think Charlie Weis will be fired at the end of the 2009 season, you're crazy. He has one of the easiest schedules in the NCAA, has a decent recruiting class coming in, and his team has shown improvement as of late. Perhaps you and I weren't watching the same Hawai'i Bowl this past December, but I saw improvement. If you or others didn't, it's probably because that's not what you wanted to see.

Now answer me THIS question - What will you be saying if Charlie Weis still has his job in South Bend at the end of the 2009-2010 season? I want a straight answer, and don't skirt the issue.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Hey Yellowhammer you forgot about Petrino who left Atlanta with three games left. I going to said what some ESPN personalities said that Meyer is more likely leave for the NFL than leave for the ND.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
My motivation is simple, I do not believe any coach (including Saban) can be trusted when they say they will not leave. Especially a coach who has lied and moved (like Saban and Meyer) before.

It rubs me wrong for any fans to blindly defend and believe that any coach will not leave their school because they are so special. Especially a coach like Meyer who has every selfish reason to leave.

He has accomplished all he can at Florida and knows that things can only go down hill if he stays. When and if Saban wins a couple of NC at Alabama I am sure other schools will come calling and no matter what he says (especially in this case because of what's at stake) I would not believe him.

If I were you, I would not read too much into what Meyer says because he has no choice but to answer the questions the same way every coach in history has answered "the question". " I am happy at _________. I plan to be the coach at ________ as long as they want me. I am not planning on leaving ________. I will be the coach at _______ next year. I have no interest in being the coach at _____." Blah, blah, blah blah, blaahhhh!

All I know is it is better to be realistic about these things. I do not believe Meyer and any more than I believed Saban, Spurrier, Tuberville, Franchione, Rodreguise, Nutt, or any other big time college coach today. It's a business and that is all.
That's not the case. Once again, you assume that once Tebow leaves, UF will drop off the map, never to win a NC or an SEC title ever again.

I call BS. If you're "rubbed the wrong way" because Gator fans are true to their school and stand by Coach Meyer, than that's just plain too bad. We're not going to say things just to appease you or anybody else because that's what you expect to hear.

As for your second paragraph, more of the same. There are more SEC titles to win; more National Championship possibilities. Florida football can still go above and beyond the level it's at now, and there's no stopping Urban Meyer. Besides, if he's happy in Gainesville, then why upset the apple cart just to satisfy the media and all the others who wish ill on the Gators?

Screw Notre Dame as far as I'm concerned. If you honestly think Charlie Weis will be fired at the end of the 2009 season, you're crazy. He has one of the easiest schedules in the NCAA, has a decent recruiting class coming in, and his team has shown improvement as of late. Perhaps you and I weren't watching the same Hawai'i Bowl this past December, but I saw improvement. If you or others didn't, it's probably because that's not what you wanted to see.

Now answer me THIS question - What will you be saying if Charlie Weis still has his job in South Bend at the end of the 2009-2010 season? I want a straight answer, and don't skirt the issue.

Charlie Weis' winning percentage is nearly equal to that of the two previously fired ND coaches.

Notre Dame has lost more games the last two years than any other consecutive years in school history

Notre Dame has only beat one team with a winning record last year (Navy)

If CW survives it will be a miracle, but if he does Meyer will stay at Florida because he wants to be at ND.

Sure there are more titles to win at Florida, but what will be more impressive: winning more at Florida or bringing the Irish back to Glory?

If Meyer wants to go down in history, that will happen at Notre Dame NOT Florida.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Charlie Weis' winning percentage is nearly equal to that of the two previously fired ND coaches.

Notre Dame has lost more games the last two years than any other consecutive years in school history

Notre Dame has only beat one team with a winning record this year (Navy)

If CW survives it will be a miracle, but if he does Meyer will stay at Fllorida.

I still want MORE of an answer. You're so quick to jump to a conclusion about 2009, but What will you be saying if Charlie Weis still has his job in South Bend at the end of the 2009-2010 season?

I'm still waiting.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Sure there are more titles to win at Florida, but what will be more impressive: winning more at Florida or bringing the Irish back to Glory?

If Meyer wants to go down in history, that will happen at Notre Dame NOT Florida.

WHY - and I want an honest answer - WHY are you so persistent that UM leave Florida?

Your "modified" post is still not answering my question and lacks substance; basically you only want to hear what you WANTto hear, and I refuse to do that.

Bringing Florida up to an even higher level of prestige to be on a parallel with what has been established at the <clears throat loudly> "Dome", at schools such as Southern Cal, Nebraska, "Bama", Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State is much more impressive and shows that Urban Meyer deserves to be honored as much as the likes of Bo Schembeckler, Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, and yes - even the Bear himself. Florida offers Meyer the perfect opportunity to create a dynasty of his own, with a working environment that offers him the talent and resources to make that become a reality as well as allow him to balance work with his family life. He's far from finished with what he has the capability to accomplish at Florida, but definitely has our program headed in the right direction.

Urban Meyer is right at home in Florida - WHERE HE BELONGS.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I would also like to add that prior to Meyer Florida has only won 1 NC.

Plus, if Meyer continues to have success by winning additional NC especially in the SEC (toughest Conference) then I would believe that the prestige will certainly live forever.

"WHY - and I want an honest answer - WHY are you so persistent that UM leave Florida?"

Why, because that is what he wants and I believe him....

I still want MORE of an answer. You're so quick to jump to a conclusion about 2009, but What will you be saying if Charlie Weis still has his job in South Bend at the end of the 2009-2010 season?

I'm still waiting.

When the job at Notre Dame opens up they will come after Urban Meyer and he will leave Florida and take the job. Is that clear enough?

J-ville Gator

VIP Member
Someone please send this idiot out the door. He has gone past annoying straight to lunacy. He adds nothing to the board and he spins/skirts everyone's question when calling him out.

Please Mods/Admin, do the board a favor and send this moron packing.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
"WHY - and I want an honest answer - WHY are you so persistent that UM leave Florida?"

Why, because that is what he wants and I believe him....

Your answer is weak and lacks substance.

If that's "what he wants", then answer me THIS - AND I WANT AN HONEST ANSWER - WHY is he still at Florida?

When the job at Notre Dame opens up they will come after Urban Meyer and he will leave Florida and take the job. Is that clear enough?

NO, that's NOT clear enough - and lose the sarcasm!!!

HOW do you "know" that thery may not go after another candidate, and HOW do you know that Weis won't be there after 2009? ANSWER THAT.

FanSmack

VIP Member
O Town Gator - I hate to disagree with you but there is concern for him still leaving after this season:

“Everybody’s worried about those other places; nothings going on,” Meyer told the media last week in his final media gathering of the season. “I was contacted by one, but I’m not interested. I love it here. We have a lot of work to do. That’s the bottom line. The future is fantastic here . . . I’m proud to be the football coach here.”

^ Meyer's words while head coach at Bowling Green. He left for Utah a few days later.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
O Town Gator - I hate to disagree with you but there is concern for him still leaving after this season:

“Everybody’s worried about those other places; nothings going on,” Meyer told the media last week in his final media gathering of the season. “I was contacted by one, but I’m not interested. I love it here. We have a lot of work to do. That’s the bottom line. The future is fantastic here . . . I’m proud to be the football coach here.”

^ Meyer's words while head coach at Bowling Green. He left for Utah a few days later.

Based on what I've heard from a reliable insider, Meyer won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
And I do agree. But that comment from Meyer on Bowling Green would be why people doubt him.

Yes, but then again, that was Meyer's first head-coaching gig. If the opportunity wasn't right, he would have been a fool to head into another position feet-first before giving it some serious thought beforehand; he's more of a calculated risk-taker.

I recall Shelley Meyer's comments in a show I've watched several times on Sun Sports, "Under the Lights - Urban Meyer" when she said regarding the Florida job, "This is it - and I have no qualms about saying that." She also had a hunch that there would be another move when Urban went from Bowling Green to Utah, but now she feels relieved to be finally "settled" in Gainesville.

J-ville Gator

VIP Member

What would you have Meyer say then? He can't win from losing with people looking for a story. As per the Bowling Green and Utah jobs.....They're not the caliber of U.F. plain and simple. He was there at each program for two years, he has now been at U.F. for twice that.

I pose this question to the non-believers of what Meyer is saying: In the life of your career, do you always want to advance, i.e. move up the corporate ladder or are you satisfied for life of where you are at this point in time?

What do you think Meyer has done? He is where he wants to be, at one of the top Universities in the Nation. Why would he go to Notre Dame, History? Most of the kids that are being recruited weren't born the last time Notre Dame won a MNC. Prestige? Sure, but kids (football players) aren't going to go there for academics. Sure Meyer said that was his "dream job", but he was refering to when he was an assistant (don't take my word for it, go Google it if you don't believe me). My dream job would be as a Hawaiian Tropic/Hooters girl/Reef girl swinsuit calender photographer. Sure the pay may suck but look at the benefits.

Rant over. I'm just saying that a little reminder is in order for some Gator fans who don't believe Meyer and keep on bringing the subject up, that it happened once before when all people wanted to do was ask a former coach "are you going to the NFL". Remember how that one turned out?

Take the man (Meyer) for his word.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
My dream job would be as a Hawaiian Tropic/Hooters girl/Reef girl swinsuit calender photographer. Sure the pay may suck but look at the benefits.

Hell, if I had it to do over again I would have gone to law school; that, or majored in business and became a stockbroker or worked in that particular sector. Those would be my "dream jobs", but those weren't the cards I was dealt and right now I'm happy with the job I have - it works for me, not the other way around.

Like an old saying goes, "All that glitters is not gold". What may seem to be attractive at first could turn out to be the total opposite, and even worse.

With all the changes that have been made to the football complex recently, Urban Meyer and his staff have one of the best workplaces around when it comes to college football. I couldn't believe how impressive the football offices look, and how nice the facilities now look with all the upgrades completed. Add the recent success of our program, and how could a potential recruit not get a positive impression of Florida football? Meyer and his staff have it made at Florida, and they can still take things a step further by bringing more championships to the school - Meyer can create his OWN dynasty at Florida.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
And I do agree. But that comment from Meyer on Bowling Green would be why people doubt him.

But in that instance he went from a smaller school to a much larger school. That's not the case in this instance. While Notre Dame has the history and name recognition Florida is the better job at the moment.

Both you and Yellowhammer are comparing two completely different situations to further your points, and it doesn't make any sense.

FanSmack

VIP Member
The fact that he said that and DAYS later, not months... days later went to Utah has a point and can be compared to this situation.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I'm playing devils advocate. To say that what said above can't be used in this situation at all, you're blind and naive. Does it mean he will leave? No, not necessarily but it damn sure doesn't help critics and naysayers from quieting down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema