• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban - Keep Addazio but Change OC

gator347

Gator Fan
http://www.firesteveaddazio.com/recruits-fault-addazios-play-calling/

Here is my take:

I like Addazio, I do. I liked the Zooker but he was no HC. That said, the Gator Nation did him very wrong. :hang: He should be gone but not the way we did it.

Addazio kept the team together in a VERY bad situation. He basically pulled Meyer's arse out of a no win situation. He is a great recruiter and a good line coach but he needs to step a side. He is spread TOOOO thin!!!:surrender:

I say let Addazio stay as Co-OC along with Scot Loeffler (QB Coach). It works for the "D".

Spit up the resposibilities BUT let Loeffler call the plays.

Addazio saves face, Urban remains loyal, Loeffler get's his dues(Could have gone to USF) and we see the system fit the players.

IMO

nobody wants addazio fired just demoted from OC

hell he was the recruiter of the year for scout this past yr

but what if loeffler isnt much better? im pretty sure he already assists addazio in playcalling id rather have a big hire from the outside somebody who has proven they can run a great offense and score alot

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As recently as a couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with everything posted above. Not anymore.
The stubbornness, the excuses, the coaches' refusal to examine their own mistakes and missteps, the "circling of wagons" against Gator Nation ITSELF, above all Urban Meyer's failure to adapt his system to suit the players he recruited, to even acknowledge that there are serious problems at every level in our program, let alone DO anything about them, these are all hallmarks of a program in turmoil and headed into accelerated decline.
The consequences are just beginning to appear, the first signs of decline are manifest in sloppiness, lack of preparation, lopsided losses to good teams, close, bumbling losses to mediocre ones. Even the early wins over patsies should have told us where things were headed--the team e=was a confused rabble, unprepared after a Spring and Summer getting ready for them.
At what point do enough people recognize the truth of the situation to raise enough of a collective voice to make happen what MUST HAPPEN?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
nobody wants addazio fired just demoted from OC

hell he was the recruiter of the year for scout this past yr

but what if loeffler isnt much better? im pretty sure he already assists addazio in playcalling id rather have a big hire from the outside somebody who has proven they can run a great offense and score alot

From what I was told by a friend from UF, and by I think Zooker here on the forum, Loeffler has shown the ability to be an OC, the ability to balance his QB coaching duties with the overall OC duties. He already did this in the Sugar Bowl when Addazio had to relinquish play calling duties either by direction from Urban Meyer or naturally as part of his duties as head coach.

For whatever reason, Urban Meyer has allowed the current play calling scheme to go on, a scheme were 99% of the plays come from Addazio. I would be willing to bet money that if Addazio did step down as OC or if he gave up play calling and let Loeffler handle it that we would do a lot better. Heck, as slow as we have been getting plays in, I think we would do better with an audience call-in to vote on the next play.

The Zooker

VIP Member
From what I was told by a friend from UF, and by I think Zooker here on the forum, Loeffler has shown the ability to be an OC, the ability to balance his QB coaching duties with the overall OC duties. He already did this in the Sugar Bowl when Addazio had to relinquish play calling duties either by direction from Urban Meyer or naturally as part of his duties as head coach.

For whatever reason, Urban Meyer has allowed the current play calling scheme to go on, a scheme were 99% of the plays come from Addazio. I would be willing to bet money that if Addazio did step down as OC or if he gave up play calling and let Loeffler handle it that we would do a lot better. Heck, as slow as we have been getting plays in, I think we would do better with an audience call-in to vote on the next play.

Yep, Loeffler was calling the plays when we set a BCS record for offensive production in the Sugar Bowl. Meyer did it as a "punishment" for how Addazio called plays in the SEC title game. Meyer (and everyone else) noticed that Tebow would get the offense lined up, then Rolando McClain would adjust the defense to perfectly match the play. That's right, the opposing MLB knew exactly what Addazio had called as soon as the Gators lined up. And Addazio has the nerve to say he's not predictable. Kirby Smart had McClain perfectly prepared for our offense. This year, Hightower isn't quite as sharp as McClain so Smart had to signal in to him what the play would be. Then the Bama defense knew exactly what was coming at them. The CBS crew even caught this on camera a few times. That's really bad.

The Zooker

VIP Member
But yeah, Loeffler is definitely qualified to call the plays during a game. He was brilliant in the Sugar Bowl. Had the opposing coaching staff's heads spinning. It got to the point where their coaches were just burying their faces in their hands. Loeffler is very creative and knows how to properly handle different situations in a game. Every time Cincinnati would make an adjustment, Loeffler was a step ahead and already adjusted the offense. He kept them off balance the entire night. Addazio on the other hand is stubbornly conservative. There's nothing wrong with conservative plays but if it's not working then you don't continue to do it over and over. You have to adjust and do things to keep the defense unsteady. That's basic Football Offense 101. But Addazio remains stubborn and formulaic and we are seeing the results of it.

Escambia94

Football 101 for Steve Addazio:
- If at first, second, third, and fourth you don't succeed, try something different.
- If the defense knows your playbook, 'tis time for a new playbook.
- Ummm. You get paid a million pesos per year. You should really pay attention to the game while it's going on.
- Game clock. Use it.
- Best athletes in the country. Use them.
- No mustachioed coach has won a college national championship in modern history. Mustache = loser. Loeffler knows this, which is why he had Brantley shave off the caterpillar.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Argh!!! Do we really have to go thru' the whole painful cycle of decline/collapse/outrage/change/rebirth and the long climb back? If only there were some way to short circuit the process, get to "change" ASAP and be "back" by next year. As it is, even if we could somehow rally the fans, alumni and boosters to raise One Voice Together NOW, it would still fall to Foley to actually get it done. Guess all we can do is try to raise that "Voice", and then we'll see.
(Meanwhile, besides our righteous anger, I have only my sarcastic sense of humor to help unload some of this frustration that otherwise chews me up inside...I get a kick out of others' digs; expect to see a certain amount of my own more and more in evidence.)

Escambia94

Argh!!! Do we really have to go thru' the whole painful cycle of decline/collapse/outrage/change/rebirth and the long climb back? If only there were some way to short circuit the process, get to "change" ASAP and be "back" by next year. As it is, even if we could somehow rally the fans, alumni and boosters to raise One Voice Together NOW, it would still fall to Foley to actually get it done. Guess all we can do is try to raise that "Voice", and then we'll see.
(Meanwhile, besides our righteous anger, I have only my sarcastic sense of humor to help unload some of this frustration that otherwise chews me up inside...I get a kick out of others' digs; expect to see a certain amount of my own more and more in evidence.)

Yes. We have to go through the whole thing. I wrote Addazio a letter thinking I could short circuit the process. Sad. It turns out he can't read. That explains a lot.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
i heard that since addazio has been OC the offense has went over 400 yards twice in 14 sec games, both against kentucky. I dont have a source to verify that but if thats true... yikes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Point is, it SOUNDS and FEELS like it's true.
And it isn't just us. Everyone can see that this offense is a sloppy, blundering mess. Any awareness of the talent being WASTED in this way demands it be condemned. Normally, prospective recruits see in poor on-field performance only room for THEM to see action quicker, but in this case even THEY can sense a coaching void.
I'm telling you, Gators, it's all part of a larger gathering storm of trouble, failure and decline. Wake up--the Clowns are about to give the Circus away!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Right up there with "Number One Punting Unit"...
Remember when we'd go a whole half without EVER punting? We've still got that kind of talent on Offense as well as Defense; what has changed? Do I even have to say it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema