• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UF - UT 2011 score prediction

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
But IA, I get the impression you are pretty hardened in your certainty that JB IV can't throw it very far (and tho' I'm giving our OC the benefit of the doubt here for now, I am ready to recognize the signs that you are right, AS they develop IF they indeed do, and rejoin the "Damn Brantley"-squad if that happens) and "R & D" will be pretty well the offense from now on, so I guess that kind of "Bold #" won't be coming again, even against KY--or will we be ABLE to run it up mostly using the 2 speedsters again, even if it turns out to be "just one more time" before we face that gauntlet of tough "D"s in October?

Pretty much. Our OC is a veteran (obviously) and he is smart and only letting Brantley through little 3-4 yrd dump offs .....

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We DO all agree, then, that this WON'T cut it against the Tide, or LSU, though, right?
(...and if that's true, and we stick with it ANYWAY, then not only do we lose those 2 games we otherwise might have had a better chance at winning--maybe "coming close" thanks to OUR good "D" but without effective offense getting worn down and out-scored--but also showing SUBSEQUENT teams how to beat us, and all but a couple of 'em will at least be CAPABLE of doing so if that's the way things go...OR, alternatively, after the 2nd loss--ie. the Tide, then LSU--we modify outlook and goals for this season and at this point phase in Driskel, begin to set things up for NEXT season's run...I just don't see this Head Coach, OC or staff conceding the season that way, just putting it all on "Brantley-the-short-game-manager PLUS R & D-or-BUST", then, "NEXT!"--am I wrong here?)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I watched the game again and really picked apart JB's throwing. He used to throw a very pretty spiral, over the top, with a nice trajectory. I think back to last year when I read that Scot Loeffler adjusted JB's throwing motion to take some of the strain off his elbow, and that is when JB started looking like a different quarterback. I had assumed that was Urban Meyer's fault or Steve Addazio's, or maybe just Johnny Brantley's fault. It is possible that Loeffler over-corrected some throwing motion on Brantley and it led to more tipped balls, more wobbly throws, and more under-thrown balls.

I also noted that Rainey blew a flat tire on a punt return in the same area of the field as the Tennessee wide receiver's injury while landing after a catch in the 1st quarter.

Another interesting trend is that whenever the Gators ran a spread-option, zone read play, it results in a minimal gain or a loss, with the exception of the Wildcat (although one could argue that the Wildcat is not a so-zr play).

It is painfully obvious that we need a bigger jumbo package in the red zone for pounding the ball in. Just because Trey Burton is the biggest running back, it does not mean you let him run without any lead blockers or tight ends blocking at the perimeter.

I really think the defense held back some formations. I watched Dan Quinn jumping up and down whenever the Tennessee defense made a play on us, and it looked like he was taking notes on their defense and coaching our defense up.

Easley and Floyd are beasts, but they need Powell to get in there to finish the trifecta of pressure.

Derek Dooley looks quite silly with the white shirt and creamsicle pants. I recommend flipping those colors--white pants with the creamsicle shirt.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Egads--you're right about that "adjustment"-story--I remember it now! If that IS connected (and once again, E-, I think your eye-for-detail may have caught something crucially important), there goes any hope that (1) Weis is holding back in play-packages and offensive scheme-wise, and (2) His ongoing rebuild of Brantley's psyche is limited in how far it can go, or even doomed beyond its present level. You'd think that, were that the case, SOMEone would suggest at SOME point "Hey, relax and just let it fly, man..."--but I'm not a coach, and maybe you just DON'T start screwing with his throwing motion mid-season (like "someone" DID, apparently), so now they feel they're "stuck with it"?

About that "patch of space" on the field, I forgot about it almost immediately in-game all the way until you mentioned it above, but I had the same flash at the time Rainey slipped (that plant-foot just came right out from under him--something that NEVER happens to him, normally): "Wasn't that where THEIR big WR went down?" when HE tried to plant as he came down with that high pass...

Oh--and I've GOT to share this with y'all: I just found out when I tried to post an answer to the usual shallow chatter and biased guessing-games posing as "informed discussion" on Mr.SEC.com that the petty little individual who runs the site (I guess the guy who CALLS himself "Mr.SEC", which maybe tells us a whole lot about him to START with) has banned me from posting there--done so by locking me out so that any comment I post under my user name is automatically "refused and deleted"--as far as I can tell, because I disagreed with him, consistently calling him out on his unsubstantiated claims, and giving clear, succinct reasons WHY he was both biased AND wrong.
I never used "bad language", nor were my comments disruptive or off-point--I merely made a point of addressing weak-thinking generalities, lame premises and a seeming slant supporting some programs, with a certain pervasive anti-Florida sentiment--and y'all know me by now--push on OUR program and I WILL push back--but I always try to do it with clever, if sometimes dry and witty words, and mine weren't ever NEAR as crude, clumsily defensive or outright thickheaded as some of the comments that were allowed to be posted in RESPONSE to mine--and "Mr. SEC" never actually responded to ANY of mine personally, whereas he usually strokes and blows smoke up the butts of almost anyone else who semi-agrees with him...I guess he REALLY doesn't like being out-argued--not that THAT is so hard to do.
Anyway, first time that's happened, tho', getting SHUT OUT of a sports-opinion-site in effect for cleanly and clearly arguing my differing P.O.V. with the operator: I only still WENT there because I received (right up to this past week, now that I think about it) daily update/links from them in my email, then when I had time would click on it as I worked through the Gator-stuff and only THEN once again found so MUCH to disagree with--irritatingly so, and when I had time, I WOULD...Oh well, so it goes...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lmao the guys behind me were screaming at dooleys pants and we were close enough that he definitely heard us. Haha
That is friggin' HILARIOUS! THAT'S what I miss about being AT the Swamp (and on the student side, of course--I've already told some stories about being in the Gator alumni-section and having people not THAT much older than myself getting on me for both language AND attitude...).

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
That is friggin' HILARIOUS! THAT'S what I miss about being AT the Swamp (and on the student side, of course--I've already told some stories about being in the Gator alumni-section and having people not THAT much older than myself getting on me for both language AND attitude...).
I was never a student, but I have heard some stories about the student section LOL

Escambia94

I never went to a Gator game until after graduation. Too busy studying for engineering school. Since the Air Force was paying for it, I had to keep a high GPA. No play time. I do remember sitting in the alumni section and noting that the older alumni tend to keep things respectable.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aww guys--hey, everyone has their own story, and it goes the way it goes, etc. etc....But DAMN!
I feel like there's a bunch of stuff I wanna say, but somehow it would come out the wrong way. I guess I wish EVERY Gator could have and WOULD have made a point of getting to the home games, being there 5 Saturdays each fall in the Student Section (we all automatically got access to a seat there for each home game back then--FREE with your "activity card" that the computer printed out for you as your receipt when you registered and paid), no matter the circumstances, no matter the weather, no matter the state of our team that season. It just was that much fun, a full-on "shared Gator experience" in so many ways.
(Lots of stories, but I'll spare y'all THAT...I do wonder sometimes, though: do they still pass women up the student-stands over their heads, from down near the field all the way up to the top? I remember the networks stopped showing it, at the request of the Regents, for some reason...I KNOW you can't get away with hauling kegs up over the wall and into the stands from outside the stadium anymore--even if the "Ben" were still open at the end they used to use for that, it wouldn't be allowed, no WAY, no HOW...not to mention the claim back in the 70's that if you stood directly down-wind of Florida Field on game day, you'd get high on the huge cloud of "Gainesville Green" being burned inside; on second thought, that last one might still be operational)

(BTW, I did want to say, in my own defense, that I DID attend my classes and in fact did quite well academically at UF--while I STARTED with GI-Bill support, I gathered several scholarships by my 2nd year, and stood near the top of my graduating class at the end. I was there for the education FIRST--though I WENT to UF as a lifelong Gator who never really considered going anywhere else. Maybe it sounds stupid choosing your University for its football team, but I got a FIRST CLASS education, got both a scientific degree (Geology/Physical Sciences) AND an Honors Interdisciplinary one in Liberal Arts/Anthropology/Documentary Film in my 4 1/2 years there. I also PARTIED, had a really great time. I just knew how to prioritize, when to focus on the work at hand and make the necessary effort, and when I could let go--and man, I would "LET GO"! It was easy for me, after my time in the Service. None of this was "stressful" compared to what we'd seen and been through...in fact ALL of it was "gravy": I reveled in it all, the people, the learning, and yes, the FOOTBALL!!!)

Escambia94

I wonder what students get nowadays. Do they get automatic seats, discounted seats, or what? When I went to school I actually had two homes--the robotics laboratory Monday to Friday, and the kids' soccer games or karate matches on weekends. Not much time for anything else. Good ol' times.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wonder what students get nowadays. Do they get automatic seats, discounted seats, or what? When I went to school I actually had two homes--the robotics laboratory Monday to Friday, and the kids' soccer games or karate matches on weekends. Not much time for anything else. Good ol' times.

Me too...the only clue was a few weeks back when someone talked about them doubling the price for EXTRA tix to home games for students from $5 to $10 per seat, I believe (at $5 they would have been the same price as extras were 30 YEARS ago, at least 'til they doubled it, and that just seems WAY too reasonable).
As for the price for a seat on the student-side at every home game, whether it is now an additional charge BEYOND your registration fees and if so how much, and how they distribute those tickets, is not exactly widely explained.
For example, we used to collect the Activity Cards of whomever of our "regular group" wanted to go and be there together, and one of us would be responsible for going down to the Ticket Office early in the week of that game (you couldn't GET student tickets before the week OF a game) to wait in line and get a set of that many contiguous seats , one for each card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema