• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tommy Bowden to Arkansas?

GatorsDiva21

Hayley Loves her gators
ARKANSAS MAY OFFER BOWDEN $2 MILLION ANNUALY TO REPLACE NUTT.

Updated: December 4, 2007, 1:43 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Arkansas has focused its coaching search on Clemson's Tommy Bowden and is prepared to offer Bowden a contract in excess of $2 million annually, sources told ESPN.com.

Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips was in New York on Monday but may fly back to meet with Bowden on Tuesday morning to try and persuade him to remain at Clemson. Earlier, Clemson had offered Bowden a two-year extension and $400,000 raise that would increase his total package to approximately $1.6 million annually.

Bowden and new Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long are longtime friends going back to their days at Duke when they worked on the Blue Devils' staff together. Bowden and Long met in South Carolina on Monday, sources told ESPN.com.

Stanley Reed, the Arkansas board of trustees chairman, told The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas on Monday that Long had indeed settled on Bowden and that Arkansas chancellor John White began seeking feedback from the board of trustees, some of whom expressed reservations about Bowden possibly being a lateral hire for the Razorbacks.

Bowden, 47, has seemingly been on the hot seat each of the last three seasons at Clemson, as fans have become frustrated with his inability to get the Tigers to the ACC championship game or a BCS bowl. Bowden has a 69-41 record in nine seasons at Clemson and is 87-45 in 11 seasons overall.

The irony should he take the Arkansas job is that he would be replacing a coach, Houston Nutt, who took the Hogs to two SEC championship games in 10 years but left Fayetteville last month largely because of a fractured fan base. Nutt was named the Mississippi head coach a day after leaving Arkansas.

Bowden, the son of legendary Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, wasn't Arkansas' first choice to replace Nutt. The Razorbacks initially made overtures to Auburn's Tommy Tuberville and also inquired about North Carolina's Butch Davis, who last month agreed to a contract extension with the Tar Heels.

Sources told ESPN.com's Joe Schad that Arkansas has also interviewed Tulsa offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn and Michigan defensive coordinator Ron English.

Bowden guided the No. 15 Tigers to a 9-3 record this season, capped by his fifth victory in the last six seasons over archrival South Carolina. However, the Tigers lost at home to Boston College the week before and missed out on a chance to play in the ACC championship game.

On Sunday, Clemson accepted an invitation to play Auburn (No. 23 BCS, No. 22 AP) in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31. Each of Bowden's 11 teams at Tulane and Clemson have been eligible for postseason play.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
That would be interesting. He doesn't seem like that great of a coach, though. With the talent he has, in a conference that isn't that strong, he doesn't seem to be doing a good coaching job. And plus, after DMAC leaves this year, the Arkansas team is pretty weak. Not sure it matters who coaches for them.

GatorsDiva21

Hayley Loves her gators
I'm not sure, I do know that Tommy Bowden and the new AD at arkansas ofcourse I know you read it, But who knows it sure can't hurt arkansas all that much.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
Yeah. With FELIX JONES, who I may add might be every bit as good as DMAC, stays, they could surprise a few people with an upgrade at QB. He is a junior. So you never know. But as far as coaches go, this might be an upgrade. So of course it can't hurt.

GatorsDiva21

Hayley Loves her gators
Well I know I heard some people saying tommy was gonna be like his daddy, but in my opinion those are some huge shoes to fill, although he has beatin his daddy in the "bowden bowl" here as of late, but what I was gonna say, if arkansas still has some talent and like you said get a a-class qb, then he should be pretty decent, but i'm still wondering, I mean we're talking about arkansas, and we all know, there good seasons come and go.And plus they had a outstanding QB mitch mustang that transfer at the end of last year.

Gator_Dan

Gator Fan
Arkansas will be a week team next year because they will loose DMac, and jones to the draft. Casy Dick is an alright QB but lacks a good receiver core, and they realy don't have anyone to back up Dick. at least no one that is better than him. As far as the coaching situation goes, i don't know who will end up there. I think there best choice is right under there nose in there Def Cor Regie Hearing. The problem is no one thinks that the fan base will go for a DC could do a good job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema