• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The TEBOW Watch

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
If the Jets do not want to pay Timmy, they can deal him to the Hamilton Tiger Cats. The CFL cannot afford NFL salaries, and the agreement is that if an NFL team releases a player to the CFL, the CFL team that owns player rights (the TiCats) initiates a new contract under CFL rules.

If I were the Jets, I would favour a trade to CFL. It would be up to the TiCats to keep Timmy or deal him elsewhere.
I'll be honest: this is the first I've ever heard of such an arrangement. I know that we had something like this in place a number of years ago, but that was an agreement I believed expired. Got a link to enlighten me?

But, once a player signs with a CFL team, he can't sign with an NFL team until the contract's done. That's true (related: back about 10 years ago, the CFL had borrowed a bunch of money from the NFL and in exchange said that any player in his option year could explore any offer made by an NFL team without penalty. It led to some players taking off, and I think it cheapened our league - made it even more officially a "farm league" - but that's me).

Also, Tebow going to Hamilton would require either: a) Hamilton has put Tebow on the "negotiation list," which precludes other teams from talking to him until he clears waivers, or; b) No team has him on the neg list.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
I've already aired MY feelings on a Tebow-to-Canada scenario. Don't see ANY "land-on-his-feet, proper outcomes" on the horizon for TT in terms of owner, city, GM/Coach or TEAM in the NFL anytime soon...
Didn't know about either the generalities of the NFL/CFL agreement, OR the Jets' current Tebow-specific relationship with the Ti-Cats, either...
Other than that though, while there are NUMBER of things that spring to mind as I follow the byplay in this thread, more than anything I am really ENJOYING that "byplay": Seldom is such discussion both so informative AND entertaining, "no dote a-boat it, there eh?" (it doesn't REALLY sound like that--unless you go there directly from the deep south...).
I mean it, Gators: we may need a new rating-icon.
We prefer "no doot aboot it." :p But then, I don't think most of us actually sound like that; just the three people y'all have met (see what I did there?).

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
I bet our neighbours to North would take good care of Florida's favorite son. We Americans suck at taking care of positive role models.
Dude can live in my parents' basement, rent-free. He'd like them. They'd take him to church and make him sing (which, if you've ever heard TT sing, is a horrible listening experience).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"We prefer 'no doot aboot it.' :p But then, I don't think most of us actually sound like that; just the three people y'all have met (see what I did there?)."
Dude can live in my parents' basement, rent-free. He'd like them. They'd take him to church and make him sing (which, if you've ever heard TT sing, is a horrible listening experience).

:roflmao: Good one, all around! (..and EVERYBODY'S parents would love Tim...in a Gator-house like mine, they probably would have handed him my kid-sister, too--except she was WAY too "fast" for him! Hey, I'm just being honest--another example of the truth being over-rated, I guess...)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I'll be honest: this is the first I've ever heard of such an arrangement. I know that we had something like this in place a number of years ago, but that was an agreement I believed expired. Got a link to enlighten me?

But, once a player signs with a CFL team, he can't sign with an NFL team until the contract's done. That's true (related: back about 10 years ago, the CFL had borrowed a bunch of money from the NFL and in exchange said that any player in his option year could explore any offer made by an NFL team without penalty. It led to some players taking off, and I think it cheapened our league - made it even more officially a "farm league" - but that's me).

Also, Tebow going to Hamilton would require either: a) Hamilton has put Tebow on the "negotiation list," which precludes other teams from talking to him until he clears waivers, or; b) No team has him on the neg list.

You're right. I just looked it up and the rule I was referring to expired this year! There was the "option year" rule that just expired. Tebow's contract expires at the end of the 2014 season. Under the old rules he could have gone to the CFL at end of the 2013 season. My mistake. The NFL is going to abuse Tebow for another two years. Jerks.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You're right. I just looked it up and the rule I was referring to expired this year! There was the "option year" rule that just expired. Tebow's contract expires at the end of the 2014 season. Under the old rules he could have gone to the CFL at end of the 2013 season. My mistake. The NFL is going to abuse Tebow for another two years. Jerks.
Escambia94, FrozenGator
Just happened to notice this follow-on to ongoing discussion...I will address this and my own thoughts here later, but am preoccupied/tensing-up right now with only 40 min. or so 'til KO in Tallahassee, and have already got that growing knot I get in the center of my diaphram/center-gut for these games, for THIS game in particular in certain years: The last time I felt it THIS bad I'm thinking was in '96, when Heisman-winner Danny Weurfel led the "Florida Wuerfel House" Attack on offense that led us undefeated into this game at the end of the reg. season again, which we lost IN TALLAHASSEE when they scored late to nip us by 3 or 4 pts. as I recall, but through a combination of fortunate outcomes later that weekend and the next, we got to meet them AGAIN in "OVERTIME" in the Sugar Bowl, I believe, just after the '97 New Year, and HAMMERED THEM for our first (and Spurrier's ONLY) official "National Championship"...but all that matters in ANY of that here NOW is how TIGHT and ACHY my GUT is!

Escambia94

Got tummy aches? Drink more beer! The kids are going to watch daddy get drunk again!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This kinda got LOST on Saturday...I always get confused about the time-stamps in retrospect...I ASSUME these are marked at the time in the timezone where I am at--so that this one you wrote about 1/2 hr. before kick-off?
Anyway, never saw it at the time you dropped it, which is a shame, 'cause it's funny, of course.
Guess I'd already moved over to the GameDay thread: I was TENSE before this one, as I was saying here above, more and more so before we got goin' (my normal, well, not exactly "cure", but means-of-best-handling pregame-jitters was unavailable to me, since my woman was out/is out-of-town...OK, OK--TMI, but we don't get to go out on the field 45 min. before the game and do calisthenics and/or maybe knock heads a bit--which pretty well describes what I do instead as my "pregame ritual" before the really big ones...ALRIGHT, I'll shut-UP with my post-adolescent foolishness--but it is a major problem for me in general through to the end-of-the-year: unless I do go through with this "go-to-Houston, then we-go-to-The Sugar Bowl"-Plan, I'll be beyond "antsy" by New Year's...I do not want to be led by my "compass-pointer" into some self-deluding "I couldn't help it" scene , as I have on other drunken Austin NY's Eves--and at this rate that becomes a real poss. if I do go out. This is a trouble-maker's/make-trouble-for-you, "bend me over and take a long look at my trampstamp, dude"-town, especially on holidays especially at one of the annual "Block Parties" or "down-on-6th Street", as anyone who has ever "partied" here knows...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
FrozenGator,
BTW: THIS "sort of got lost" in the aftermath to Sat. night's outcomes as well, but I DID watch the Grey Cup on Sunday and meant to discuss it with you a bit...Of course, it WAS a bit of a let down in the way it played out, not quite a "blow out" but definitely a game where you could "see the writing-on-the-wall" early--I mean, GREAT for Argo-fans, a kind of "coronation" in their home town, but I didn't feel any threat of Calgary coming back after that last TD before the half. That was the difference ANYWAY, T.O. scoring TOUCHDOWNS while Cow-Town was kicking FGs. That runner for the Argos went OFF, 'cause they clearly had (CFL 2012 "Most Outstanding Player") Owens draped with coverage (THAT is exactly why WE--ie. Gators: I can't analyze ANYTHING football-related without bringing it back to our reptiles--will need a strong passing game even IF/when Taylor comes in next season and blossoms quickly into everything he looks like he will eventually be: and as we also began to see on Sat., no matter how it materializes, just the threat of a dangerous passing game is often enough to open up your running game). Again, all-in-all great fun for the home-crowd in the 2nd half, but not much in the way of suspense after the break, right?
Other notes: Interesting how CLOSE this year's score was to LAST year's Grey Cup...Don't know what (if ANY) significance that holds, but there it is. How do you feel about your Bombers going into NEXT season? (Not so far off now, right? I mean, only by May or so, or am I way off?) I got the impression from getting re-involved from one year to the next (I'd work on a film or TV-movie up in Toronto for maybe 4-to-6-weeks, then return 1/2 a year later for a month to work on another one, then maybe 4 months after that on the opposite side of the country to work on a TV-show in Van, and so on, "dropping in" long enough to get into the flow of things wherever things were in relation to the season) that a particular team could fall-off or improve dramatically just in terms of who moved from one city to another and/or star difference-maker they could manage to bring in from another team when his contract was up or bring up from the states as he graduated and/or otherwise became available...So: what's your situation in Winnepeg? Gotta "good owner" (bit of an oxymoron that, usually), with deep-pockets he is willing to dig into? A decent coach? The CFL is REALLY a coach and QB-driven league, from what I could see--I mean, that just makes or BREAKS a team, which is why I asked those 2 questions: Find and PAY FOR "the best" in those 2, and the rest will pretty well follow, don't you agree?
[Just a "point-of-interest" rather than a serious, immediately practical question, but IS there any talk among fans, actual questions (even just-in-passing and/or half-kiddingly) as to whether they COULD "get Tebow up here", at least go to his agent (one of the "Biggies", CMA or William Morris, I'd wager) and "make them aware of their interest"??? I mean, has it been discussed up there even semi-jokingly among local sports fans, besides you, a lone Gator, proposing it to YOUR friends, FG? THIS is where the "super-rich-guy owner" can make all the difference: There ARE some of THOSE in Canada (I am being intentionally smirking in my understatement here, and such individuals have made "big news in sports" in that way BEFORE over the years--negatively AND positively, for good AND for ill, in retrospect...There was the "Team Rocket Ishmael" many years back that shocked BOTH countries' images of themselves and each other sports-wise at the time, and of course there was the whole Peter Pocklington/Wayne Gretzkie "KILLING a team and town" debacle, STILL talked about up there, especially in Edmonton...each has had continued effect echoing down the years.]

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
FrozenGator,
[Just a "point-of-interest" rather than a serious, immediately practical question, but IS there any talk among fans, actual questions (even just-in-passing and/or half-kiddingly) as to whether they COULD "get Tebow up here", at least go to his agent (one of the "Biggies", CMA or William Morris, I'd wager) and "make them aware of their interest"??? I mean, has it been discussed up there even semi-jokingly among local sports fans, besides you, a lone Gator, proposing it to YOUR friends, FG? THIS is where the "super-rich-guy owner" can make all the difference: There ARE some of THOSE in Canada (I am being intentionally smirking in my understatement here, and such individuals have made "big news in sports" in that way BEFORE over the years--negatively AND positively, for good AND for ill, in retrospect...There was the "Team Rocket Ishmael" many years back that shocked BOTH countries' images of themselves and each other sports-wise at the time, and of course there was the whole Peter Pocklington/Wayne Gretzkie "KILLING a team and town" debacle, STILL talked about up there, especially in Edmonton...each has had continued effect echoing down the years.]

I'll talk about the Grey Cup maybe in a direct message to whoever's interested, as it drives me nuts as a reader when there are out of place posts in a thread. I'm weird like that. That is, unless people WANT me to comment in the main thread.

But this last comment is something I've been exploring for awhile. See, people in Canada tend to look at football players in two categories: 1) Good enough to play in the NFL; 2) Not good enough for the NFL. The casual fan doesn't notice a distinction between someone who lights it up in one league, but sucks in another (A GREAT example is Ricky Williams. He was up here with Toronto and was TERRIBLE, even though he was a game-changer in Miami). What's more, people buy into the hype (negative and positive) about NFL players, and think it's truth.

So, regarding Tebow, people keep citing his "long throwing motion," and his tendency to run, his high INT rate when with Denver, etc., without realising that the CFL is substantially different in what a QB needs to have to be successful. A running QB up here can make a larger impact than he can in the NFL, primarily because of the field size. I think that Tebow would be well suited to playing here because the play style is so different. We can run an option successfully, QB draws have more meaning, all things that Tebow needs to succeed.

Fans I talk to don't want Tebow up here. Well, to be specific: they think he sucks as a QB and don't see why any team would want him. I think they're crazy. I think his pure will to win would have him succeed up here. They don't listen to what I say about him; they write off his success at Florida as being the product of a QB playing for a GREAT team, not a great QB playing on a great team.

Besides, I believe the first crack at him goes to Montreal, and I couldn't stomach him playing for the Als. I just couldn't. It would break my heart into a million pieces. You think I'm kidding, but I hate that team so much it's palpable. The only team worse (in my mind) would be Saskatchewan. I'd need to see a shrink to get over that...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
FrozenGator
(First--just so you understand: We've been having some issues with a serious hacker-produced Spam-attack here at GE the last week or so, and that has made me a bit cautious in where and what I go poking around in from the past until some last few steps are taken--steps we have to wait on--before I STOP being perhaps OVER-cautious; Also, I am having problems online with my OWN cable-modem-service in our area with Time/Warner here in Austin...They are finally here with trucks and getting it "solved once and for all" today, but it has hampered my own access-speeds to different levels of every site I go to...between the two, though I TRIED to find an acceptable way to pull up the specific thread where we last talked about The Grey Cup, FG, I just wanted to get this out in a timely fashion, and since I was already on this thread for other reasons and we DID talk about Tebow recently in that related context, I just went-for-it-here--Otherwise, I understand and agree with "Keeping it organized and in-place".)
Now, regarding your TEBOW comments, I guess I am of two minds here, and "I'll cut thru' the crap to the chase":
On the one hand I suppose I am NOT that surprised at all the BS, acceptng a shallow, 3rd-hand version of reality as designed and pushed by a relatively few shallow and ignorant fools with axes-to-grind, whose views have long-since been grabbed up, swallowed whole and crapped-out all OVER the place like the proverbial "sh*t thru' a goose" as supposed "common sense" by now widely accepted as "TRUTH". The (according to my dad) "basic 5-word proposition for human populations", "Same percentage of A$$holes EVERYWHERE", dictates that this view would be long since accepted as "gospel" among Canadian sports fans and should therefore NOT surprise me.
Nonetheless, on another, once more hopeful and optimistic opinion of (what struck me as) more open-minded bigness-of-spirit and wider-thinking among Canadians (and, sadly, a now re-educated impression of them in general, thanks to your honest and vividly believable description), I am frankly AMAZED at their ignorant, band-wagon-jumping short-sightedness and foolish conformism, likely causing them therefore to miss an amazing opportunity, an open-window that will NOT be there long, and is in fact one that he likely will now never have been made aware of, and would have been slammed immediately had he shown up for a look-see only to face the same-old-crap!
The Ricki Williams comparison is ludicrous (and believe me, living in Austin during his Glory years with the Longhorns and since, I am WELL aware of Ricki's career, its strange and unique ups and downs based on the vicissitudes of his off-beat personality and, some would say "emotional disturbances"--and I am a Williams FAN over all, btw, even WITH all of that...I can relate to "free-spirits", and undertand how hard it can be to find one's way through all of that, PLUS the alphabet soup of the various "disorders"--ADD, PTSD, and the like--he was/is diagnosed with, having been belatedly tarred with some of those myself; One has to learn to live with one's own quirks, where life is too short to do it any other way but your OWN, imo): As you say, FG, there has never BEEN a better, more thoroughly committed and complete a leader or determined competitor--and while it's a damn shame that most of these folks don't even understand their own game well enough, let alone the actual demonstrable (and already demonstrated--I mean, he single-handedly put that otherwise mediocre Bronco Offense on his back and carried it from 0-and-5 to the play-offs and that thrilling win over highly -favored Pittsburgh in the first round last year) skill and type-of-"game" he brings to the table to start with, one that happens to match the needs, rules and style-of-play up there quite well already, not-to-mention his proven willingness to work tirelessly to master ANYTHING he commits himself to in order to make himself the best-he-can-be at it--ALL in the package of this just great guy, a real teammate/"man's man" who will make everyone, biggest star to smallest go-fer feel like a part of that TEAM, while he brings that enormous "Media Eye"-attention that naturally somehow follows him EVERYWHERE no matter where he goes or what he's doing and WHO KNOWS WHY BUT HE"S GOT "IT"...and those people in their little lives in their little worlds don't think they might get a little SOMETHING out of ALL OF THAT? Well, Screw 'em!
(Uh, you think I might have a bit of a strong opinion on this subject, FG? OK, I will now climb down from my soapbox...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sat., Dec.22, 2012
Here is the latest in the ongoing effort to destroy a young man's career, no matter the expense...
Look, I am aware of the cliched outlook that is the way Gator fans are viewed with respect to Tim Tebow--ie. That "he can do no wrong so any BAD pub MUST be the result of some conspiracy against him", so until now I have tried to stay low key and reserved in my analysis regarding his treatment in New York AND the media at large, but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
We were already well aware of the strange hostility that has steadily grown, both in breadth and intensity, in the media--not to mention the absurdity of the very same "major sports news outlets" that have covered his every move and activity AND the reaction to these AND the reaction to the REACTION etc etc.--presumably because (as I have been assured by folks at Neilsen and Arbitron, with whom I once had a professional relationship and still can all on "off the record") "just the mention of his NAME spikes ratings every time"--then complaining about the very coverage that THEY were and ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR, culminating recently with "The Leader" ESPN announcing they would (trumpets and choir) "be covering Tebow less", then (like an addict who swears off his drug-of-choice, then proceeds to preach at everyone else about his wisdom and sobriety) trumpeting THIS news instead--THEN (like the same addict who just cannot help himself) slid quickly, quietly and inexorably back into their "addictive lifestyle"--the latest story (returning, FINALLY, to the football field) being of course not the real story, but the small piece that allows them to focus on bad things being said about him--best of all (from their POV) by the TEAM, about his PERFORMANCE.
Again, I am loathe to re-rant the whole tale, or even to remount the arguments against their validity, so I will simply highlight and contrast what I see as the two central and REVEALING points:
(1) According to the NY Daily News (then picked up by everyone else--ESPECIALLY, of course, ESPN), "sources inside the Jets organization" were "shocked at the poor play of Tebow in practice" when he first came to the Jets; meanwhile just as available but less widely reported (and not at all by ESPN, so has not received much "play" outside metro-NYC--talk about "picking and choosing"!), but ALSO from the Daily News,
(2) "Sources close to the team" were saying (and this only now being reported, even in NYC) that the Jets management "from the start were frozen in fear at the possibility that Tebow would excel, and put pressure on the fragile Sanchez", destroying his confidence from early in the season on, when they hoped to see him build on it.
Do I really have to analyze this for anyone here? I will say this much: when you consider what in fact happened instead, publicity-wise, in this same period, the whole sad mess becomes both clearer AND more strange. On the one hand, what came out during this time were the "anonymous", cowardly and back-stabbing complaints from TEAMMATES blaming Tebow for their team's (at that point) "poor play so far" this season--not only sleazy and dishonorable but OUTRAGEOUS, 'cause HE HADN'T EVEN GOTTEN A CHANCE TO PLAY! However, if you had a team of resentful players and a Coach and management who both NEEDED someone to blame AND were afraid that the guy THEY were banking on at QB (in their view) FEARED Tebow behind him, well, you get the idea of how these particular kinds-of-quotes from anonymous sources might "suddenly surface".
When it comes to any accusations of my "picking and choosing" which quotes and/or sources to believe, I say this: I believe that there WERE "sources" (as per #1 above) who said that stuff about Tebow's "poor play in practice", for it just FITS--not just with the other stuff said and going on at the time, and what we know and have subsequently SEEN of Sanchez' on-field performance AND the team's way of handling it AND Tebow (ie. with lies, incompetence, and blind stubbornness), but with the point made in #2 (which rings at LEAST as true) that the management WAS in fact "frozen in fear" that "Tebow would excell"...It is ALL "of a piece"--on its own, all put together, adding up and forming an "explanation" of the actual events we have witnessed.
On the other hand, and in a wider sense, of course, it doesn't really make any sense at all: Why did they GET Tebow in the first place? Was there some complete disconnect between owner , GM and Coach, that they then had to somehow "finesse" in this way once all actually spoke to each other? But then why didn't the OWNER (who spent a pile of money) put his foot down and say "Play him!" at some point (if only to please-the-fans), or the GM who negotiated with Denver AND made certain (much-PUBLICIZED) promises to Tebow, neither heeded nor fired-after-the-fact? In short: WHY DESTROY THE VALUE AND REPUTATION OF A PLAYER YOU WENT OUT OF YOUR WAY TO BRING IN, AT GREAT EXPENSE AND MUCH FANFARE, RATHER THAN PLAY HIM?!! When it comes to such questions I could go on...but Bottom Line: IT REALLY DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL.
They've put themselves in a personnel AND financial hole. The numbers are a financial nightmare for the Jets, basically requiring them to cut Tebow loose and pay him off in millions (either 8-and-a-half OR 17-point-something MILLION dollars, "depending...")--only getting SOME "cap value" back IF they pay him the HIGHER number and cut him loose entirely--either way with little or no compensation OR say as to what he or any other team does next with him. Could this POSSIBLY be the last bit of vindictive effort at "finishing the job" of character- and career-assassination, to try and make sure that he NOT get picked up by anyone and possibly further embarrass them by succeeding elsewhere? By word and deed they HAVE done everything possible to destroy #15's career--ie. wasting a year while they themselves said and did everything possible to degrade him, his value and potential as a professional quarterback. Personally, I have never seen anything like it.

Escambia94

None of this Tebow fiasco makes any sense. I guess this is the beginning of the end of Tebow Mania.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also I wish the Jets stood behind Sanchez and get some receivers but instead they got Tebow, no offense to him but if you were a GM and you signed your QB to an extension and you get a backup QB. Also they had to do some good convincing to Tebow and his agent to come there instead of to J-Ville. I think they screwed both guys and the team in general.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
The latest rumour out of the CFL, by the way, is that if he decides to play up here, he'll go the Montreal Alouettes. There are three reasons for this: 1) He is on the Al's negotiation list, meaning they have first rights to him; 2) He has a great relationship with the HC - Marc Trestman - who was at Alabama and tried to recruit Tebow, and then was hired by Tebow before the draft to work on his "throwing motion. They were reportedly both very impressed by each other 3) The Als' QB is 40 right now, and he's an amazing QB to learn under. He won't last another season, and so it really is the perfect opportunity for Tebow to play under a guy who WANTS to teach, leads by example, and then will retire soon.

Personally, I'm strongly ambivalent about Tebow playing for Montreal. On the one hand, I love everything about Tebow and want him to set the world on fire. On the other, I hate Montreal so much I can barely explain the levels, and they're division rivals with my own Blue Bombers. *sigh* Why can he just play for the Bombers or the Packers so I can go about my day in bliss?

Escambia94

I just want Tebow to go where he gets a fair opportunity to excel. If he is given the opportunity and fails, then that is fine. More than likely, if he is given an opportunity to excel, he will. If that is in Montreal, fine. If that is in Jacksonville, fine.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Leakfan12, Couldn't agree more.
FrozenGator, I picked the "Funny" icon because your summing-up of your attitude made me laugh--it is the perfect statement of ANY fan's dilemma--but in fact I totally understand, see the logic of ALL of what you say, AND appreciate a pretty concise-and-informative overview of the CFL-angle in all of this--one that is being covered (or even acknowledged) NOT AT ALL down here, where (I suppose as much as anything because currently neither ESPN nor its partner "ABC-Family-of-Stations" has any relationship with the CFL whatsoever) the CFL-option is not even mentioned, and if it SHOULD come to pass, will likely be be "written off" as somehow trivial and irrelevant--the professional equivalent of his "sad sinking demise", and with few further details--which COULD (and I deeply hope DOES, should things go that way) BACKFIRE on them bigtime: Tebow and his charismatic popularity (coupled with the powerful force of an advertising industry/empire who after all have a large investment/vested interest in further exploiting his popularity and have the global-scale reach to make it happen) could well continue to blossom on a global scale, if properly tended, and in so doing help make the CFL-brand and product (at least for a time) a more high-profile game and "product" itself, in the States and abroad--leaving the nay-sayers (once-again) scrambling behind to catch up.
Escambia94, That pretty well perfectly sums-up the situation, practically and emotionally, after everything--"fair opportunity" is all that we figured he should be getting all along...As for our belief that given that chance, TT will likely make the most of it, is NOT merely theoretical, OR simple "belief in a beloved Gator-icon", but has already BEEN DEMONSTRATED ONCE, and in FAR from ideal circumstances (you could hardly describe that whole mess in Denver "ideal circumstances"). Now, you mentioned in the earlier comment about a possible "end to Tebow mania"...I don't really care either way, but I wouldn't write it off just yet: That's been an (I believe) intentional casualty of the effort to belittle and discredit him, by BOTH teams he has played for and their managements--but it is that very effort, the result of their FEARS, that highlights how close-to-the-surface all that remains--They have HAD to suppress it, spurred by their fears have WORKED at doing so in the face of fan anger, frustration and disgust. It was either that or give in and PLAY him--and unlike in Denver, (perhaps afraid that he WON'T fail) have chosen from the start to go this route instead. You gotta feel for TT, seeing it from HIS POV: Two teams, two different strange efforts to suppress him and see him fail--and when he came through the first time in SPITE of it all, they ship him out to where he's assured he'll be played AND be the "heir-apparent back-up" if/when the starter does fail--and not only does the opposite occur, but THIS management (the same one who promised all that) makes an even MORE extreme effort to, not only NOT play him, but to destroy his reputation and value--not only to themselves, but throughout professional football. Weird.
You're right, though: all any of US would like to see now is what he deserves--a fair chance. If he fails, then fine--but we haven't seen it yet. Of course, we remain quietly confident that, given that proper chance, he WILL make it work: it's what Tim Tebow DOES.

(BTW, for this latest of all-so-many-reasons, I HATE THE NFL. I really am completely fed up with it--and it gets worse every time I watch it for even a LITTLE while now: NO DEFENSE. They have rewritten their rulebook to encourage this state-of-affairs, to "encourage a more wide-open game", and the fans supposedly "love it" (at least that's what their polls and marketing analysts say), but I just despise the pro game (as it is played by the NFL) now: Watching a barely-above-average offense march down-the-field slinging it around, when they are behind and have no choice--and GETTING AWAY WITH IT, scoring to tie or win with a minute left, opposing cover-guys standing around in FRONT of WRs when they've got a whole field to defend, then later BEHIND receivers in the endzone--well, these are the best guys from college, and WHAT HAPPENED TO BASIC TECHNIQUE?!! I just find it UNWATCHABLE...it's Sunday afternoon, and I'm typing THIS, with a MOVIE on in the background, having tuned in the Cowboys-Saints long enough to witness less-than-3-minutes of the same-old-story go by once again. What's the point? Like watching a video game: I'm sure people do it, but it's not for me. The crap OUTSIDE the actual GAME, the mercenary, non-loyalty--neither player-to-team nor team-to-player--was what STARTED the decline, for me--and THEN the game itself went into the toilet...This whole TT-thing has been the final cynical blow, now: I am DONE with it.)

Escambia94

I hate the NFL for many reasons bigger than how they treated my beloved Timmy Tebow.
  1. The NFL thinks it is the only brand of American football.
  2. Idiot NFL fans think college football exists only to provide NFL talent.
  3. NFL fans are hypocrites--give me hard hitting defense, but shame on the NFL for allowing hard hits.
  4. NFL fans do not respect defense. If a team only beats another by 3 TDs, that is a bad game.
  5. NFL playoffs suck.
  6. NFL overtime rules suck.
  7. NFL rules are confusing.
  8. NFL tickets are expensive.
  9. NFL blackout rules are stupid.
  10. NFL games and their frequent commercial breaks suck.
College games are starting to suck. College teams are playing more annoying pop music over the speakers when they should be letting the bands battle it out. SEC games are cash cows, so they now get long and frequent commercial breaks.
Somebody please tell me that the CFL is better than this. If so, send Timmy there and hope he does well.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
I hate the NFL for many reasons bigger than how they treated my beloved Timmy Tebow.
  1. The NFL thinks it is the only brand of American football.
  2. Idiot NFL fans think college football exists only to provide NFL talent.
  3. NFL fans are hypocrites--give me hard hitting defense, but shame on the NFL for allowing hard hits.
  4. NFL fans do not respect defense. If a team only beats another by 3 TDs, that is a bad game.
  5. NFL playoffs suck.
  6. NFL overtime rules suck.
  7. NFL rules are confusing.
  8. NFL tickets are expensive.
  9. NFL blackout rules are stupid.
  10. NFL games and their frequent commercial breaks suck.
College games are starting to suck. College teams are playing more annoying pop music over the speakers when they should be letting the bands battle it out. SEC games are cash cows, so they now get long and frequent commercial breaks.
Somebody please tell me that the CFL is better than this. If so, send Timmy there and hope he does well.
Let me see if I can reply, using your 10 reasons:
1) CFL is definitely aware of other American football brands.
2) CFL fans seem to be happy to enjoy all kinds of football
3) CFL fans don't like the rules about the hard hits, and want to see hard hits.
4) CFL football is routinely a very high-scoring affair. Whether you enjoyed a blowout or not usually depends on which side of the beating your boys were on
5) CFL playoffs sort of suck, too. The crossover rule is moronic
6) CFL overtime is basically the same as NCAA
7) CFL rules aren't really confusing. At least, I don't think so. But then, I also ref, so...
8) CFL tickets aren't nearly as expensive. The most expensive seat for the Bombers is about $75.
9) CFL blackout rules are left up to the home team, but since all the HD feeds come out of Toronto, they never apply to me...
10) Okay, the CFL has ridiculous commercial breaks. It's basically the same 6 ads over and over and over and by the end of the season you're playing the "Which Wendy's Commercial" drinking hame.

Escambia94

So far I am sold on CFL.

In related news, ESPiN is reporting that Tebow pouted during the week, did not practice Wildcat or punt protection, and distanced himself during the game. This seems out of character for Timmy. Granted, most of us mortals would do this, but we have been accustomed to Timmy being better than us mortals. Or, perhaps he has earned the right to be mortal. His coach and owner lied to him, and used him to gain headlines. All they did was wreck two quarterbacks--Tebow and Sanchez. The Jets also let McElroy get sacked 11 times. In one game. They allowed their first punt return for TD this season. Honestly, without the Orange and Blue glasses on, Tebow was the best QB for a terrible offensive line, and best running attack for a team that cannot break 100 yards per game on the ground. By the way, he is a better punt protector than the other guy.

I would hate to see any player treated like this, but it bugs me more that it is happening to Timmy. I remember a couple years ago when I said Timmy was too nice for the NFL. I think we are seeing this as a true statement.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema