• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The play calling sucked

lilChomp

VIP Member
What did you think of the offensive play calling in the Tennessee game? Seems like they kept trying to run Demps and Rainey up the middle. And guys like Cooper and Hernandez were hardly involved.

GatorBa!t

Gator Fan
agreed but without thompson and hernandez bieng not 100% they couldnt really throw it deep specially with Eric Berry back there......it was reminiscent of the 2007 florida team.....tebow doing everything..which is no good

and cooper had a pinched nerve none the less i miss mr.Mullen..... :(

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
People already bashing Florida play calling.... Ahhh NOW it's football season!

What really gets me is that regardless of the fact that our WR corps has been depleted by injuries and both Jeff Demps and Aaron Hernandez played with the flu, some fans are still throwing Steve Addazio under the bus like they did to Dan Mullen last year after the Ole Miss loss - was it Addazio's fault that Tebow fumbled in the 3rd quarter?

Yep - nothing like using the proverbial scapegoat.

Why can't we just be satisfied with the fact that we WON the freaking game, for crying out loud? Just because it wasn't a "pretty" win and/or we didn't go RUTS on UcheaT, there's all this griping. Seems no matter what this team does that's positive, somebody has an issue of one kind or another.

As the late Gertrude Stein once said, "A rose is a rose is a rose". Gator fans need to substitute the word "rose" for WIN and be grateful for the fact that we're still 3-0 in a year when other top teams are being upset right off the bat. That, and still ranked #1 in the polls.

Gretzky_99

Gator Fan
Well, for what it's worth, for the last two weeks i have had to sit and watch the Bulldogs (my g/f is a UGA grad) sling the ball up and down the field with South Carolina and last weekend Arkansas, putting up huge points. I just hope we can contain Georgia and South Carolina to some degree. I know our d is better, but with few choices for receivers, we need to be able to put points up against SEC teams... more than the 23 Saturday. Feed those boys some Thera-Flu, and lets get busy!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Well, for what it's worth, for the last two weeks i have had to sit and watch the Bulldogs (my g/f is a UGA grad) sling the ball up and down the field with South Carolina and last weekend Arkansas, putting up huge points. I just hope we can contain Georgia and South Carolina to some degree. I know our d is better, but with few choices for receivers, we need to be able to put points up against SEC teams... more than the 23 Saturday. Feed those boys some Thera-Flu, and lets get busy!

In spite of some of the other lunacy I've been seeing on other Gator boards, IMHO we did pretty damn good in spite of all the curveballs being thrown our way on Saturday. Whoever thinks Urban Meyer doesn't know what he's doing better think again; he manages to find a way to make things work and we found a way to win on Saturday.

Keep the faith, Gretzky. We'll be fine going forward.

(On a side note, I have even bigger darts to throw at CBS Sports' Tim Brando for acting like a jerk. Not only was he trying to stir up "the rumor" when he and Spencer Tillman were talking about the ND and Mich. State game during the pregame show on Saturday (ND won BTW, so Brando and Tillman were forced to eat crow), on his radio show today he knocked Coach Meyer for stating that some of your players had the flu and played in spite of that by insinuating that Meyer was making "excuses". If anything, Jeff Demps and Aaron Hernandez should be applauded for their efforts and toughing it out. And everybody wonders why I'm so critical of the media.....)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well could the play calling been better yes it could have. Have Rainey and Moody ran more than Tebow. Passing game well let's face it when your two top receivers (well Cooper and tight end Hernandez) aren't 100% and another receiver is out then there's nothing that anyone can do.

GatorBa!t

Gator Fan
What really gets me is that regardless of the fact that our WR corps has been depleted by injuries and both Jeff Demps and Aaron Hernandez played with the flu, some fans are still throwing Steve Addazio under the bus like they did to Dan Mullen last year after the Ole Miss loss - was it Addazio's fault that Tebow fumbled in the 3rd quarter?

Yep - nothing like using the proverbial scapegoat.

Why can't we just be satisfied with the fact that we WON the freaking game, for crying out loud? Just because it wasn't a "pretty" win and/or we didn't go RUTS on UcheaT, there's all this griping. Seems no matter what this team does that's positive, somebody has an issue of one kind or another.

As the late Gertrude Stein once said, "A rose is a rose is a rose". Gator fans need to substitute the word "rose" for WIN and be grateful for the fact that we're still 3-0 in a year when other top teams are being upset right off the bat. That, and still ranked #1 in the polls.

yeah but this is the NCAA not NFL its not just about wins anymore....its about style points....you guys should know that by now....and the play calling wasnt horrible but what i didnt like is how much they relied on timmy to run up the middle or do a draw...i don't want him getting hurt(i sound like a fag i know). We could have at least taken a shot down field....come to think of it did Tim take one shot down field at all.....i know none of them could get open to save there lives...but i don't remember him taking one throw

let's not forget that there were two passes dropped that would have been touchdowns. Cooper and Brandon James, yes I know James got rocked but still a dropped touchdown. So take those 2 plus the one Tebow would have had without the fumble the score would have been 44-6. We all know that the offense can and will put up points. don't worry against GA and LSU it will be a different story.

Gretzky_99

Gator Fan
Sure hope so.. living with a UGA grad, i just can't take a loss to them.. I know last year, Meyer was able to make adjustments to the offense, i know he will do what's necessary...

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
yeah but this is the NCAA not NFL its not just about wins anymore....its about style points....you guys should know that by now....and the play calling wasnt horrible but what i didnt like is how much they relied on timmy to run up the middle or do a draw...i don't want him getting hurt(i sound like a fag i know). We could have at least taken a shot down field....come to think of it did Tim take one shot down field at all.....i know none of them could get open to save there lives...but i don't remember him taking one throw

We didn't rack up a whole lot of "style points" back in 2006, but we still managed to make it to the National Championship in spite of that one loss to Auburn. Like last year, part of it came down to our being in the right place at the right time.

As far as Tebow goes, we needed him as a key playmaker considering how short-handed we were on receivers, UcheaT was throwing a zone defense at us and we didn't want to take unnecessary risks out there (i.e., creating more turnovers). He did made some passes - remember Riley Cooper dropped that one that he should have easily grabbed hold of deep in the red zone?

GatorBa!t

Gator Fan
We didn't rack up a whole lot of "style points" back in 2006, but we still managed to make it to the National Championship in spite of that one loss to Auburn. Like last year, part of it came down to our being in the right place at the right time.

As far as Tebow goes, we needed him as a key playmaker considering how short-handed we were on receivers, UcheaT was throwing a zone defense at us and we didn't want to take unnecessary risks out there (i.e., creating more turnovers). He did made some passes - remember Riley Cooper dropped that one that he should have easily grabbed hold of deep in the red zone?

do you remember how much it took to get us there all the teams that HAD to lose for us to get there not to mention it came down to the wire between us and michigan...and yes we were lucky...but style points do matter

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
do you remember how much it took to get us there all the teams that HAD to lose for us to get there not to mention it came down to the wire between us and michigan...and yes we were lucky...but style points do matter

I never said they didn't matter.

The main thing is that we WON the game - all these rants over our not having run up the score is getting beyond ridiculous. Seems that if this team isn't picture-perfect in the eyes of many fans or doesn't satisfy the line that the Vegas oddsmakers set, people start complaining or even have a chicken-little complex as a few do now.

It's that same attitude of lofty expectations amongst our fanbase which was one of the reasons Steve Spurrier felt compelled to resign after the Orange Bowl win in 2002. I don't want to see that same thing happen again with Urban Meyer and his staff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema