• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Some interesting points about JB

austingator

Gator Fan
I agree that a fresh start for him and the gators might be in everyone's best interest. All that said I still think Addazio did him a big disservice by not adjusting the offense more. Just think what could have been if we had gone to a more passing spread this past year. It would have made for an easier transition to what Muschamp wants to run going forward.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Read this over on Bleacher Report about Brantley.

I've defended him all along, but after reading this maybe I should rethink it. Perhaps if he does transfer it is better for everyone.

Florida Football: Why John Brantley Transferring Would Benefit the Gators | Bleacher Report

What do you guys think after reading this?

The article PERFECTLY recaps the details of what I (and a LOT of others) have been saying for some time. In my response to a comment (about it not being his fault and Brantley going on to be "the best Gator QB in the NFL"--!!!) on another thread, I touch on many of these same points, PLUS add one more: his lack of heart. In keeping with this, I mention the possibility, perhaps even likelihood, that he should perhaps go and be the "big fish in the small pond", with a guaranteed starting role (won't have to compete--again!) at Jacksonville U with his old highschool coach, Kerwin Bell.

awebbf5

VIP Member
I know brantley was in the wrong offense, but so many tipped balls i dont see how you can blame that on a certain offense.Just my opinion.

ShortBus

VIP Member
I know brantley was in the wrong offense, but so many tipped balls i dont see how you can blame that on a certain offense.Just my opinion.

and way overthrown balls.. if it weren't for the receivers jumping 20 feet in the air 90% of his completed passes wouldn't have been complete. he was accurate as far as general direction.. but putting it where his receivers can catch it.. haha. right.. i don't think JB got the memo we don't have gargantuans for wide receivers..

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I have stated the same things all year long that are in this quote from the article:
Granted, [Trey Burton and Jordan Reed] have skill sets more suited to the spread offense, but let's take the gloves off here—there's no excuse for Brantley to be this bad; after all, he spent three seasons practicing this offense and learning how to succeed with it from Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow—two college football legends.

Brantley certainly is not dumb, and if Chris Leak could run this offense efficiently, then Brantley should be able to as well.

Unless, of course, he just simply isn't as good as advertised.

I would still give him the chance to fight for the starting role in 2011, because I want to see him earn that position rather than have it handed to him. And re-handed to him after another QB marches the team 60 yards. And again re-handed to him after he takes two successive sacks. The article had it right--it's not all JB's fault, but JB showed neither the desire nor the ability to overcome his obstacles.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I found that part about what happened in the FSU game interesting--I was pissed too when they put him in ("inexplicably" puts it mildly!) after Reed had driven them 60 yds. down to the 20, and #12 comes in and throws the INT just before the half, but not being at the game (and no one having mentioned it at the time) I didn't know about his teammates' anger coming through there on the field. They (rightly) didn't say anything to the media about it after the game, just another "brick in the wall" I suppose, but as far as trust is concerned, that's how you dig a hole that is EXCEEDINGLY hard to climb out of and cover over. Rebuilding broken trust is that much harder, one more obstacle to an individual whom we agree is not exactly inclined to even TRY to rise above them.

DunnellonDave

Gator Fan
I am going to make this short and sweet. It is my belief that if Brantley had an offensive line that could pass protect then the tipped passes from an oncoming slaughter and the overthrows from trying to get rid of the ball before he should, would all go away. The kid can throw the ball. Confidence in your line and that the snap is even going to be catchable have alot more to do with the problems than you guys are giving credit for.

Escambia94

It does not matter. JB has only two choices--play Gator football in 2011 or enter the NFL draft. I just found out that many of our assumptions about JB transferring to Jacksonville University were flawed. A fairly recent rule change states that even if JB transfers to a Division 2 school, he needs to have two years of eligibility even if he only intends to play one year. JB only has one year of eligibility. Many of us, myself included, assumed he could jump right into Jacksonville U with maybe a one-year wait in the worst-case scenario. There is a slim chance he could transfer to a school that offers a degree not offered at UF, just as Masoli did when he transferred from Oregon to Ole Miss, but the chances of that occurring are rather slim.

That being said, I hope JB does well in the Outback Bowl and in the 2011 season. I really want to see what we were led to believe we would see--a pure passer that will win games. With the spread offense virtually dead next year, JB should have plenty of opportunity to excel.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He has a few MORE choices provided UF releases him and formally releases and waives something or other...
Unfortunately, aside from that loophole you mention (and UF's "help" could facilitate THAT as well), for JB maximum flexibility and access would be if he were to transfer to a lesser division--not even FCS, or what they used to cal Div. I-A, but to Div. II or III...but there IS that option, and a number of "powerhouses" at those levels that thrive on just these type of situations mutually beneficial to school AND "big-time-transfers" who would JUMP at the chance to have him. As for whether it would be best for JB, well...not strictly parallel, but for different possible outcomes, there are Masoli and then there's Cam Newton (for this discussion at least, the whole play-for-pay deal is irrelevant). The point is, there are a lot of alternatives and possibilities, and no guarantees no matter what he chooses.

The Zooker

VIP Member
I'm a strong believer in keeping things in perspective. We won't ever know how truly good JB was. We can all admit that he wasn't put into the best circumstances to showcase his ability. There were a lot of question marks. He may have been a great or he may have been a bust. But I wouldn't hold one season against him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"Hold it against him"? No. But this is a "win now" team, conference and sport at this level, and we can only judge empirically. John Brantley came in with a certain shining rep and some nice displays in practice and non-stress situations...then we got a whole season to evaluate him. I don't need to recount the specifics; suffice to say that far from impressing, he never came through ONCE. Neither skills nor grace-under-pressure were on display. Yes, the circumstances were less than ideal, but he never gave a HINT of rising above the difficulties. No trace of leadership, of inspiration within himself or to his teammates. In short: he had his chance, and MORE, and blew it.
By the time we got to that turning point late in the first half against SOW, Brantley should have been riding the bench, 3rd string--it was just one more sign of Meyer's lack of attention and/or involvement, and Addazio's bankrupt "imagination" that JB was given the opportunity to inevitably turn a close game into a route, sent in to throw that INT at the crucial moment in the red zone after Reed had taken control, given us hope and driven the O down the field. After the previous 11 games, after watching #12 regress through it all, and looking putrid against SC in particular the game before, was anyone BUT Addazio (or Meyer, if he was even paying attention--it was WEIRD watching him on the sidelines as the season progressed, don't y'all think?) really surprised by the result? Angry, yes, frustrated, absolutely, but the only real "surprise" was that they put him in there then, thinking that was the move to make there.
I mention all of this, recount a small portion of the long, painful experience that was the 2010 Gator football season, in order to remind you of the context within which many of us have come to be less than enamored of or hopeful for a future with John Brantley in charge of our offense.

The Zooker

VIP Member
We'll see how Brantley does under a year of Charlie Weis. Then I'll make my judgment. Just remember, everybody ripped on Leak until he won that National Title.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I KNEW Leak had SOME talent, could respond under pressure, and above all had HEART...then he put it all together and stepped up to add LEADERSHIP under Meyers--and the rest is history: 2006 National Champions.
You can NOT confuse John Brantley with Chris Leak, on ANY level.

John Brantley in my opinion should have been better prepared to take the role of leader after tebow. He failed at that. He has also failed at being a strong QB - even with the way the OC is crap, brantley has just dropped the ball, and looks to have just given up entirely.

Escambia94

John Brantley in my opinion should have been better prepared to take the role of leader after tebow. He failed at that. He has also failed at being a strong QB - even with the way the OC is crap, brantley has just dropped the ball, and looks to have just given up entirely.

Exactly. He had three years to learn the offense. Three years! What did he expect? The other 52 players on offense would unlearn the spread-option for him? It's a team sport! Learn the spread-option, just as Chris Leak did. Leak was also a pure passer, and he had nobody to learn from.

Even if we give him the excuse of the offense not being molded for him, he has failed at pure passing plays. So, let's give him the excuse of the bad offensive line. Jordan Reed throws well out of the pocket. So, let's give him the excuse of....whatever and stick in Reed in his place and let John Brantley go cry to daddy.

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
brantley looks like he doesn't even give a crap at all
he just throws these half assed passes
not even showing much effort to convert on 3rd downs
I really prefer him not taking snaps at all, I've been let down 99% of times he snapped the ball

Escambia94

It literally looks like JB4 is "throwing" the game, as in, "trying to lose by purposely playing poorly". It really does. His mannerisms. His actions. His lack of words. You name it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema