• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Quarterback overload?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It looks like we may have an excess of talent at the coveted QB position.

We all know John Brantley IV. We assume Jordan Reed and Trey Burton will not be listed as QB next year, but could theoretically take some snaps. Tyler Murphy is rumored to switch positions. Jeff Driskel graduated high school early to get a jump on his training. We just heard about Jacoby Brissett wanting to battle JD for the spot. Now throw in a walk on, Ryan McGriff. He is a lifelong Gator fan that knew he would not have a shot at QB under Urban Meyer as a pocket passer--even though he comes from a family of Gators. This QB competition could get interesting!

Gainesville High School quarterback Ryan McGriff to walk on at UF | Gainesville.com

crmixon

Gator Fan
I wouldn't say we are overloaded. I would say that we have a Darwinian situation at the QB position. The best will rise and the team, as a whole, will benefit.
It should be fun to watch. Maybe Driskel comes out on top, with Brissett pushing him to ever greater hieghts, or maybe someone else rises to the top. Whatever the scenario the competition can only make the position stronger!

Escambia94

Too bad the Dazzler is gone. I'd love to see a 7-QB rotation in one game. Maybe field 7 QB and 4 offensive linemen (the center would also be a QB...sometimes Pouncey threw for more yards as a center than Brantley).

muschamp/weis somebody saw what happened last yr and wasnt about to put all their hope in driskel

weis has been recruiting brissett since day 1 on the job maybe he likes him more

Escambia94

Good point. No matter who we, the Bull Gators, the boosters, or the head coach likes it is up to the QB coach to put in the best man for the job. I like Driskel, but I will not be upset if Brissett or anyone else wins the job as long as he produces.

Just to amplify that statement--Longhorns coach liked Gilbert despite Gilbert not producing. The QB coach and OC could not put in anyone else, and they lost 8 games. I think that Meyer and the boosters liked Brantley too much despite the lack of production and Addazzio did not know better, and you see what happened.

mjfan23

VIP Member
Alot of Qbs is alot of competition. May the best man win.

I would think that Burton and Reed will find homes elsewhere in the offense?

Escambia94

Alot of Qbs is alot of competition. May the best man win.

I would think that Burton and Reed will find homes elsewhere in the offense?

Burton posted on Twitter that he tried DE and SS for a bit, but later I read that Weis needs a FB. We do not have any healthy FBs that fit the Weis offense, so my guess is that Burton moves there.

Reed wil likely remain at TE full time.

Tyler Murphy tweeted that he may try some WR.

We still have a couple other QBs that sat around under Meyer, but could find a home under Muschamp. All positions are wide open.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Too bad the Dazzler is gone. I'd love to see a 7-QB rotation in one game. Maybe field 7 QB and 4 offensive linemen (the center would also be a QB...sometimes Pouncey threw for more yards as a center than Brantley).

Lost amid all the rest of the above well-reasoned discussion was THIS little "bomb"...provoked a dreaded "spit-take", seriously!
You are BAD, E-. Damn funny, but with a definite bite.

Escambia94

Lost amid all the rest of the above well-reasoned discussion was THIS little "bomb"...provoked a dreaded "spit-take", seriously!
You are BAD, E-. Damn funny, but with a definite bite.

Just because I am excited about 2011 it does not mean that I have forgotten about 2010!

Think back to week 3 when many of us were wondering how we squeaked by such pedestrian teams before we erupted on "powerhouse" Kentucky? Even after our 48-14 trouncing of Kentucky I focused on the piss-poor play by Brantley and Pouncey. I was tired of the excuses by week 4. My fellow Gator fans in San Antonio started listening to me four losses later! I tried to be optimistic while still taking my shots at Brantley and Pouncey. Next year, I will only let up Brantley due to the new coaches. Addazzio will never get off my nasty list.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm with you.
Back to the point here: I have a few concerns about our sudden "embarrassment of riches" at QB, but we're just going to have to trust our coaches to make the most rather than the least of it (as per "Dazzler").

BTW--I'm watching SB XLV, the game having just finished swinging back over to Pittsburgh with that TD-pass dropped by Jones (looked just like our far-from-beloved Deonte "C*ckfingers"!), then the bad facemask-call on the ensuing kick setting 'em up for the oh yes, there it is, Steeler TD...since then (went for a beer) y'all have watched the Packers continue the melt down that seemed to begin late in the 1st half...this is one of the most extreme change-in-momentum swings I have seen in the Super Bowl, certainly, and is shaping up to maybe the biggest "big-time choke-jobs" in a playoff game since Frank Reich brought the Bills back from 31 down against Warren Moon and his then-Houston Oilers.
I admit I came in rooting for Green Bay--they're the closest thing in the pros to a team representing its people, like in college (and anyway I don't like Rothlisburger...my apologies to Gators in Pittsburgh, who I always cheered FOR against the Cowboys)--but it's not a real deep identification, you understand, and right about now I'm thinking about how frustrating, to the point of disgust, when this sort of thing happens to the team ya DO feel that way about. In fact, I remember that game against SOW in Tallahassee in the '90's when we out-scored them 33-to-ZIP in the first half and ended up TIED WITH 'EM at the end! This was before they brought in that Overtime-process we have now, and if I recall correctly we actually played them in the Sugar Bowl (?) that year, and THAT game was hyped as "Overtime"? Or am I cloudy and mixed up on this?
Anyway, I'm thinking the Steelers aren't gonna need overtime to finish off this "Greatest Comeback in Super Bowl History" unless the Pack pull it together pronto and score a TD or two.

bluemoon22

Gator Fan
Burton posted on Twitter that he tried DE and SS for a bit, but later I read that Weis needs a FB. We do not have any healthy FBs that fit the Weis offense, so my guess is that Burton moves there.

Once Driskel starts, he can fill in the role as FB/QB...he's certainly big enough :) I can't wait for him to be ready to go

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Burton will find a place on the field and EXCEL there--he is just too skilled and athletic NOT to--the coaches will make sure of it, too. Reed will be a possession-type receiver, maybe a tight end. I have a feeling they'll still move Burton around a bit, in the backfield, sometimes out in the slot...he does it ALL well.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Burton will find a place on the field and EXCEL there--he is just too skilled and athletic NOT to--the coaches will make sure of it, too. Reed will be a possession-type receiver, maybe a tight end. I have a feeling they'll still move Burton around a bit, in the backfield, sometimes out in the slot...he does it ALL well.

all true. he will find a way on the field. Honestly there are two places we won't find him, the O-line and at DT. Every other position is game with him.

If he stays on offense I expect him to be used in the passing game, as in an H-back, slot receiver, or TE. If he plays defense I honestly can't be sure where he will go, if he has enough speed it will be safety for sure.

Escambia94

My only concern would be that whoever loses out in the QB competition does not transfer to a rival. When highly touted Brock Berlin lost to Rex Grossman, he transferred to the Ewe and went 2-0 against us. Just sayin'.

Escambia94

I think losing jb to a rival would be a good thing. Then he can stink up their team

I was referring to next year--Brissett or Driskel. JB4 is a redshirt senior, and cannot transfer without special waiver. We need to learn to love him as he does well, or hope the coaches yank him if he underperforms. No more excuses for him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
My only concern would be that whoever loses out in the QB competition does not transfer to a rival. When highly touted Brock Berlin lost to Rex Grossman, he transferred to the Ewe and went 2-0 against us. Just sayin'.

Don't want to belabor the point, but that has been MY concern from the moment I heard we were in the final mix with Brissett. In theory it seems a good thing to have a succession of potential stars at QB but, all in all, in fact we haven't been real fortunate with that situation over the years. The one time we got one to stay, "wait his turn", is JB--and he turns out a bust! (OK, OK, final verdict isn't in, but do YOU think JB will be the starter by mid-2011?)
Brissett WANTS "to compete", which may be the big difference (and the sign that Brantley may NOT have been the guy?--just a thought...), but WHAT HAPPENS IF/WHEN HE LOSES OUT TO DRISKELL? Will HE be content to redshirt, then wait and see if a wildly successful Driskell goes pro after his Junior year so that HE can start HIS Junior and Senior years? Or does he go the "Cam-route" and find a way to stardom with one of our SEC rivals after getting his seasoning and foundation-for-success with us? As you point out, E-, that one's getting OLD!
Oh well, we're in it now...hopefully, it turns out right this time, whatever "right" turns out to be!

Escambia94

Don't want to belabor the point, but that has been MY concern from the moment I heard we were in the final mix with Brissett. In theory it seems a good thing to have a succession of potential stars at QB but, all in all, in fact we haven't been real fortunate with that situation over the years. The one time we got one to stay, "wait his turn", is JB--and he turns out a bust! (OK, OK, final verdict isn't in, but do YOU think JB will be the starter by mid-2011?)
Brissett WANTS "to compete", which may be the big difference (and the sign that Brantley may NOT have been the guy?--just a thought...), but WHAT HAPPENS IF/WHEN HE LOSES OUT TO DRISKELL? Will HE be content to redshirt, then wait and see if a wildly successful Driskell goes pro after his Junior year so that HE can start HIS Junior and Senior years? Or does he go the "Cam-route" and find a way to stardom with one of our SEC rivals after getting his seasoning and foundation-for-success with us? As you point out, E-, that one's getting OLD!
Oh well, we're in it now...hopefully, it turns out right this time, whatever "right" turns out to be!

I specifically point out Brissett because he was close to signing with Miami, and it is closer to home by a couple hours.

Driskel is less likely because he has been a very vocal leader and avid Gator fan for quite some time.

Reed could leave for a school closer to home and still play for two more years...at QB.

Burton has been an avid Gator fan for some time and is ingrained into Gator lore already as the kid that broke Tebow's scoring record in a game. Whether as QB, TE, FB, WR, or DB...he is a Gator and will not leave.

Murphy is just happy to be here. He quietly sits on the bench and is enjoying the Gator life, perfectly content with not being #1 or #2.

We have about three or four more QBs sitting on the bench that are perfectly happy scoring with the ladies ("Hey, baby...I'm a QB for the Florida Gators").

Maybe Brissett wins the starting role over Driskel. It would be hard to imagine Driskel leaving for Miami.

Most armchair QBs think Driskel will win the role in 2011 or 2012 (I think 2012). Would Brissett be upset and take his skills to a school close to home? Given how much less we know of him than Driskel, I think it is possible. Josh Portis and Brock Berlin were both highly touted QBs out of high school that transferred. Berlin carried a chip on his shoulder, even taunted us Gator fans in the stands and his former teammates. At least Cam Newton is still friends with his former Gators--he did not leave with a chip on his shoulder (or $200K buys a lot of happiness...just kidding).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema